You guys donate to the ASAPAC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My accountant says owtherwise... maybe the audit is coming soon

Probably a very small chance you will be audited. Your accountant is wrong though.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I know the AANA can be nasty, but this guy is totally over the top ridiculous, rude and heinous in his dealings online for months now. I'm surprised they don't run for the hills from him (maybe they do, I'm not exactly an AANA-aficionado) to maintain some decorum of professionalism.

A few of my close friends who are CRNAs actively detest this guy, saying he gives a bad name to nurses everywhere. I'm inclined to agree.

Also I am impressed with the ASAPAC actually highlighting this rather than the lame "we won't sink to that level or have anything to say about it" response the ASA had a few months ago. They've earned my donation this year.

Yeah that's what they tell you to be politically correct, but all the nurses either publically or privately believe in the ANAA agenda. Quite honestly, why wouldn't they? If you had the opportunity to double your salary and not have someone tell you what to do, wouldn't you want that? I can't blame them for wanting that but the reality is they didn't earn it and don't deserve it. They didn't put in the appropriate training and don't have the educational background to take care of patients on their own. It's our job, the Hospitals job, and our governments job to put them in line and in their place. If not, before you know it flight attendants will be flying airplanes, janitors at JP Morgan will be doing financial planning, and Paralegals will be representing you in court.

Members don't see this ad :)
Read this as "you guys donate to the ASPCA?" lmao

Acidbase - maybe your accountant thinks you're talking about the annual membership dues for the ASA? That's tax deductible for an S-corp.

The way big businesses get away with deducting these PAC dollars is that they donate to PACs supporting advocacy groups and claim that that's an expense that benefits their business. The catch is that the groups can't be campaigning for individuals. For example a coal company spending on ads to repeal carbon caps or an oil company paying for pro pipeline ads. Those ads are clearly anti obama, but don't support a particular candidate directly. You may recall seeing them. Pure anti position pieces that don't tell you who to vote for. "Hillary is a corporate stooge, she's taken millions of dollars in speaking fees from hedge funds, she claims to support bank reform but voted against it in the senate. She's a danger to America." Even those ads can apparently be interpreted as potentially a legal deduction as they don't say, "Vote for Trump/Pence". These pacs are set up to function that way and be a quasi legal tax deduction for the corporations. The ASPAC is different as it clearly and openly directly donates money to candidates for their campaigns.
You're account is being very aggressive in his interpretation of the law and the ASPAC wouldn't even qualify for that interpretation. It's not a shady dark money "advocacy " PAC, it's a run of the mill PAC which is definitely not deductible.
Forbes, Bloomberg, etc have had many articles on this since the Citizens United ruling. I would be careful in the future with that deduction. That's not a risk I would take. Once they find some shady deductions, they go looking for more. Do you have 7 years worth of receipts and logs to prove everything else you deducted? I sure as hell don't.

--
Il Destriero

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I wish my program was more proactive at informing us about what the ASAPAC does (or doesn't do)!

how were u forced to donate in residency? would you have been fired if you didnt?
It's actually a bit of a problem that you don't see the problem here, because it raises the horrid specter of the possibility that someday you might lean on subordinates to make PAC donations, and not see a problem with it then either.

When a superior nags you about donating to a cause he or she feels is worthy, there is perceived (and sometimes real) risk in not giving. Your boss should not ever be pressuring you to pay money for anything - not PAC donations, not the local homeless shelter, not the sad-faced homeless kittens and puppies at the ASPCA, not even his daughter's Girl Scout cookies he knows you're addicted to and are going to buy somewhere anyway. Any of these are totally inappropriate.

As a side note, the military is simultaneously strict and stupid about this - any such solicitation or pressure is explicitly forbidden, which is good. But every year they do this obnoxious Combined Federal Campaign where they hand out donation signup forms where you can do recurring monthly donations to one of 100s of vetted charities in the catalog. It's sort of a nice system.

Except the $ value donated per department and per command is a source of pride ... and "accomplishments" for leaders and intermediaries to put on their fitness reports which helps them get promoted. So they wink wink push it pretty hard ... they hand out signup forms to everyone and REQUIRE that they be turned in. "If you don't want to donate, that's OK, just put your name and a zero on it so we can show we've made 100% contact with everyone." I always refuse to even touch the forms because the tactic fills me with a boiling rage, and I like being the lone holdout to thwart their "100% contact" goal.

I don't know why they think it's OK to force some (literally) poor junior enlisted kid into choosing between
A) donating $ he can't afford or doesn't want to give
B) signing his name to a form documenting what an uncaring cheapskate he is

A residency program leaning on residents to make PAC donations is the same kind of wrong. Even if there's no obvious overt consequence, it's still wrong.

It's actually a bit of a problem that you don't see the problem here, because it raises the horrid specter of the possibility that someday you might lean on subordinates to make PAC donations, and not see a problem with it then either.

When a superior nags you about donating to a cause he or she feels is worthy, there is perceived (and sometimes real) risk in not giving. Your boss should not ever be pressuring you to pay money for anything - not PAC donations, not the local homeless shelter, not the sad-faced homeless kittens and puppies at the ASPCA, not even his daughter's Girl Scout cookies he knows you're addicted to and are going to buy somewhere anyway. Any of these are totally inappropriate.

As a side note, the military is simultaneously strict and stupid about this - any such solicitation or pressure is explicitly forbidden, which is good. But every year they do this obnoxious Combined Federal Campaign where they hand out donation signup forms where you can do recurring monthly donations to one of 100s of vetted charities in the catalog. It's sort of a nice system.

Except the $ value donated per department and per command is a source of pride ... and "accomplishments" for leaders and intermediaries to put on their fitness reports which helps them get promoted. So they wink wink push it pretty hard ... they hand out signup forms to everyone and REQUIRE that they be turned in. "If you don't want to donate, that's OK, just put your name and a zero on it so we can show we've made 100% contact with everyone." I always refuse to even touch the forms because the tactic fills me with a boiling rage, and I like being the lone holdout to thwart their "100% contact" goal.

I don't know why they think it's OK to force some (literally) poor junior enlisted kid into choosing between

A residency program leaning on residents to make PAC donations is the same kind of wrong. Even if there's no obvious overt consequence, it's still wrong.

I just say no if i dont want to donate.

Wait till you get hit up for the next capital building campaign by your hospital.

Basically, a group email was sent out with the names of those who had yet to donate from the chief resident to all residents asking them to put encourage full resident participation. Email chain started at the top of the department.

Must be a Navy thing. We'd see hospital-wide emails about the CFC, but zero follow-up, no signups, no pressure

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Basically, a group email was sent out with the names of those who had yet to donate from the chief resident to all residents asking them to put encourage full resident participation. Email chain started at the top of the department.

Id speak with the chiefs if you are that against donating for putting your name out there. Tell them to stop the abuse. Our program has pretty much full particpitation from the residents but it was anonymous. but then again, there is always pressure to do something whenever 99% of your colleagues have done it regardless of what it is

What was your reasoning for not wanting to donate the $20? Naming people publicly is a low blow, but it's $20 and a show of professional citizenship that you're against the AANA. I never understood why people held out in residency for such a small amount of money other than just being obstinate.

The $20 wasn't an issue and my donation was in well before any emails. My complaint is that it is unethical to pressure subordinates in such a manner.

Wait till you get hit up for the next capital building campaign by your hospital.

We've been basically forced to cough up a sizeable chunks of cash over the years. Thankfully it was pretax $$ and probably money well spent in the long run. Our patients get to wait in a much nicer ER and robots aren't cheap.

The $20 wasn't an issue and my donation was in well before any emails. My complaint is that it is unethical to pressure subordinates in such a manner.

We had a clear separation between residents asking each other to donate versus faculty involving themselves to personally pressure residents. It sounds like your programs were more aggressive than mine. It was always a resident to resident conversation for us, and if we didn't get 100% it wasn't the end of the world. We got it one year, but most times we were 2 or 3 short.

Since our program had moonlighting, the "money is tight" excuse didn't go as far, but some folks already had 3-4 kids so I can see the hesitation.

That sucks. I would have told them to **** off