You know the drill...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShabNasty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay here it is:

3.15 cGPA (AACOMAS)
3.09 sGPA (AACOMAS)
MCAT: 8BS, 9PS, 11VR, Q = 28Q

I graduated in April 2011 with my BS in Biology. I am currently retaking a couple of classes to hopefully boost my GPA into 3.2+ range, but I will already have applied by the time I finish.

LORs should be decent, 2 from profs and one from a practicing D.O.

ECs, volunteer, etc:
*Combat Medic in Army Reserves
*Volunteer in ER (Osteopathic hospital)
*High school student mentor
*Research @ Wayne State Medical School on hearing regeneration through stem cells
*I worked and went to school both full-time for most of my college career

I started with a poor GPA trend with a few failed classes and W's, but had an awesome upward trend in my last 2 years.

So what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

That GPA is gonna hurt you something fierce. Consider a post-bac to raise that. The MCAT is okayish although if you think more studying could increase it 2 or more points then you should retake. I note that your bio section is only 8. Bio is the one section that is almost pure regurgitation and the one where studying benefits you most. Focus on studying bio if you do end up retaking the MCAT.

The rest of your app looks pretty standard with shadowing and whatnot, which is not a bad thing necessarily. There are only so many ways to set yourself apart.

TL;DR I am not liking your chances with that GPA. Your MCAT is borderline OK. ECs should be good as is, but feel free to add a research pub (if you don't have one from the stem cells) if you take time for a post-bac.

You're on the low end of competitive, but I'll bet you'll get plenty of interviews.

Okay here it is:

3.15 cGPA (AACOMAS)
3.09 sGPA (AACOMAS)
MCAT: 8BS, 9PS, 11VR, Q = 28Q

I graduated in April 2011 with my BS in Biology. I am currently retaking a couple of classes to hopefully boost my GPA into 3.2+ range, but I will already have applied by the time I finish.

LORs should be decent, 2 from profs and one from a practicing D.O.

ECs, volunteer, etc:
*Combat Medic in Army Reserves
*Volunteer in ER (Osteopathic hospital)
*High school student mentor
*Research @ Wayne State Medical School on hearing regeneration through stem cells
*I worked and went to school both full-time for most of my college career

I started with a poor GPA trend with a few failed classes and W's, but had an awesome upward trend in my last 2 years.

So what do you think?