I need to know how best to progress from here (URM/3.05/509/3.9 post-bacc...so far)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EagleRaider

Reaction score
Background: Awful Freshman year, failed a bunch of classes, etc. etc. I'm sure y'all have hear it all before lol. Graduated at a 2.77 cGPA. I resolved to repair my record and have been taking a post-bacc with 21 credits completed, and 15 to go. If I maintain my 3.9 I'll have a 3.15 cGPA and 3.0X sGPA which aren't exactly stellar. I know "if I maintain my 3.9 GPA" is a big assumption to make, but it's necessary to help me plan for my future. What I need to know is if I still need to spend $$$ on an SMP even in the best case scenario. It's important that I figure this out since applications are open right now and I'd rather not delay a whole year just to wait and see, then apply for SMPs.

Stats

cGPA: 3.05 (3.15 if I keep my grades up this semester)

sGPA: 2.92 (3.0X if I keep my grades up this semester)

post-bacc GPA: 3.9 at 21 credits; currently taking 15 more credits (all 36 credits are upper-level science)

MCAT: 509

Demographic Stuff:

State: Texas

Ethnicity: Black Male

Activities:

1.) Clinical Research 450 hours, 1 publication.

2.) BioChem Research 600 hours, no publication.

3.) Medical Assistant doing in-home care (is this still clinical?) for patients that can't move, 700 hours (still working there).

4.) Community Service Director at the Ethiopian and Arabic-Speaking Student Orgs at my school for 3 years.

5.) Around 200 hours of Community service through my orgs. Also coordinated a lot of those events.

6.) Currently volunteering at Food Pantry and Animal Shelter; plan to continue through the year.

7.) Around 20 hours of plain shadowing.

8.) Also currently working on something with my old PI. He does work in a foreign country and wants me to revise the artwork on some of the materials used to diagnose certain impairments (e.g. aphasia) to be more culturally relevant because some of the images just aren't recognizable to his patients. The new pictures will then be tested through a study to see if they are effective. Not sure where to class this, doesn't feel like *research* but it's something interesting that I get to use my art skills for.

Members don't see this ad.

Just keep taking post bacc science courses until your sGPA is 3.0 . Many schools screen out applicants with a sGPA less than 3.0 . When are you planning to take the MCAT ?

Just keep taking post bacc science courses until your sGPA is 3.0 . Many schools screen out applicants with a sGPA less than 3.0 . When are you planning to take the MCAT ?
I took it in July and got a 509. Should I retake it? I did do a little extra practice since then and score a 514 on another practice test but it seems very risky still.

You do not need to retake a 509 MCAT. Apply to all your Texas MD and DO schools and you should receive several interviews. For AMCAS MD schools I suggest these:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Indiana
Wayne State
George Washington