You know you're a neurotic premed when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeronsBeak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You think submitting mid June is going to kill your application.

What are your neuroticisms this app cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Reading about people who have YEARS of clinical experience working as an assistant in a clinic or have shadowed physicians for 1000+ hours.......

:scared:

This is my rant (takes a DEEP breath):
I am a business major and was involved in student government and had a leadership position in a business-ey club that took up lots of time (around 1000 hrs) and I think that my lack of clinical experience is the worst part of my application. I do have an administrative internship during the summer in our hospital system and yes, I have shadowing experience and clinical volunteering (albeit only a paltry 100-200 hours...) I am also an EMT-B, but I haven't done anything with it since I got it fairly recently, so that isn't good. ;(

This rant just showcases my neuroticism :D

clinical volunteering (albeit only a paltry 100-200 hours...) I am also an EMT-B, but I haven't done anything with it since I got it fairly recently, so that isn't good.

That's actually a very respectable amount of hours.

I was a college athlete, did research, and was involved in a lot of non-medical volunteering so my clinical hours were very, very low... like zero when my app was submitted and I ended up with 20. With that being said, I was more than fine and no one even asked me about it in any of my interviews because it was clear I was involved in other things. Your time spent in other areas will reflect your dedication. I wouldn't worry about that level of experience - it's still a lot!

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at people with a 3.8/42MCAT and asking if they have a chance... people better off than I who are also neurotic just makes it worse.

Reading about people who have YEARS of clinical experience working as an assistant in a clinic or have shadowed physicians for 1000+ hours.......

:scared:

This is my rant (takes a DEEP breath):
I am a business major and was involved in student government and had a leadership position in a business-ey club that took up lots of time (around 1000 hrs) and I think that my lack of clinical experience is the worst part of my application. I do have an administrative internship during the summer in our hospital system and yes, I have shadowing experience and clinical volunteering (albeit only a paltry 100-200 hours...) I am also an EMT-B, but I haven't done anything with it since I got it fairly recently, so that isn't good. ;(

This rant just showcases my neuroticism :D

I really don't think 100-200 hours clinical experience when you've never had employment in a clinical profession is "paltry". I share the angst over shadowing. I don't see how you can do it for more than 30 hours, but SDN makes it sound like you need 300+.

As for me, I took a year of graduate-level classes last year and merely did okay. This board makes it sound like you get auto-rejected with anything less than a 3.7 in grad school.

I really don't think 100-200 hours clinical experience when you've never had employment in a clinical profession is "paltry". I share the angst over shadowing. I don't see how you can do it for more than 30 hours, but SDN makes it sound like you need 300+.

As for me, I took a year of graduate-level classes last year and merely did okay. This board makes it sound like you get auto-rejected with anything less than a 3.7 in grad school.

Whew, glad I'm not the only one who thinks EC's on sdn are crazy.

100-200 is including shadowing (30 hrs) and I've spent lots of time serving cookies and punch to patients (90 hrs). And I volunteered in Panama (80 hrs.) That's my "clinical experience."

Are you applying this cycle?

... when you freak out over getting straight As in your classes instead of straight A+s

Whew, glad I'm not the only one who thinks EC's on sdn are crazy.

100-200 is including shadowing (30 hrs) and I've spent lots of time serving cookies and punch to patients (90 hrs). And I volunteered in Panama (80 hrs.) That's my "clinical experience."

Are you applying this cycle?

Yes. I'm in the same boat. I decided on medicine in, like, 2011. There's only so much I could do in that period of time clinically, and I wasn't landing any clinical jobs so 110+ hours volunteering in the ER and 20-30 hours shadowing will have to do (on top of non-clinical volunteering and ECs).