you say you're "pre-med"??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATLHokie04

rockin' it!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you met a person who says they're "Pre-med", but do nothing to back it up?

For example, I know this guy who had a life changing experience in college that caused him to switch from sports journalism to medicine, a pediatric oncologist to be exact. He tells everyone... "yeah, I'm gonna go to medical school", but then he didn't want to jump through the hoops to actually get into medical school. He wouldn't study to get A's in the prereqs, he didn't participate in any research or shadowing or ec's, and he went on a vacation for two weeks right before his MCAT (returned on wednesday, test on friday). I know that I shouldn't care because he's the one that isn't going to get into medical school, but I guess it's just frustrating. It almost seems as if he tells people he's pre-med because he likes attention, but I think it's disrespectful to those of us that are pre-med and actually working hard doing what it takes to get in! I want to be supportive of him when he doesn't get into any medical schools, but at the same time I don't because he didn't do anything to deserve it.

Have any of you encountered a similar situation?? Does it frustrate you just as much??

Members don't see this ad.

Hate to break it to you but there are people in all professions that are in it for the wrong reasons. Further some kids are smart enough to study like that and get into medical school. You don't have to get A's in all the prereqs to get into medical school. The best ting you can do is worry about yourself and not care about how other people work. I for one didn't study very hard for any test other than my MCATS and spent more time in my frat house than in bio lab and I am medical school bound in the fall. My advice to you and all pre-med students is to find a balance somewhere in between where you are now and where the student you descirbed is, because it will make your experience a much better one.
Good luck to you

I totally agree that finding a balance is essential. Do what it takes to get in, but enjoy it while you're doing it. I think I am most frustrated with this situation because I don't think he will get into medical school (<2.7 and C's in science prereqs).... if you really want it, then work for it. He doesn't understand the importance of balancing.

p.s. I know that plenty of people are extremely successful and don't have to work hard.... but this isn't the case here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Peripherally related topic:

People will misclassify, misrepresent things all the time. My barber, the last time I went, told me she was going to medical school. I perked up and immediately got interested, and got into conversation where she later told me that she was in medical school as a surgical tech. I didn't correct her or anything and continued the conversation, she seemed nice enough to talk about her own life and I was in no position to bring the thunderdome of PA upon her :)

Have any of you met a person who says they're "Pre-med", but do nothing to back it up?

For example, I know this guy who had a life changing experience in college that caused him to switch from sports journalism to medicine, a pediatric oncologist to be exact. He tells everyone... "yeah, I'm gonna go to medical school", but then he didn't want to jump through the hoops to actually get into medical school. He wouldn't study to get A's in the prereqs, he didn't participate in any research or shadowing or ec's, and he went on a vacation for two weeks right before his MCAT (returned on wednesday, test on friday). I know that I shouldn't care because he's the one that isn't going to get into medical school, but I guess it's just frustrating. It almost seems as if he tells people he's pre-med because he likes the attention, but I think it's disrespectful to those of us that are pre-med and actually doing what it takes to get in! I want to be supportive of him when he doesn't get into any medical schools, but at the same time I don't because he didn't do anything to deserve it.

Have any of you encountered a similar situation?? Does it frustrate you just as much??
I really don't think I've ever seen a more judgmental post on SDN. Who the heck do you think you are?! No, seriously, what gives you the right to determine who meets the high and mighty standards you've set forth for claiming the title of pre-med? So what if he went on vacation before the MCAT; the fact that he took it shows that he's not just saying he's a premed for the ::cough:: glory. Maybe he was ready for it, MAYBE he scored better than YOU did....you have no idea! Until you, yourself, are a medical student you have no room to be telling anyone exactly "what it takes to get in." Your entire post is predicated upon the idea that being a premed means something; I've got news for you....it doesn't. Are you really so delirious as to believe that being a premed means you deserve respect, or in some way are looked upon in awe by others? Being a premed only means you have the intention of one day pursing medicine. It has nothing to do with your major, how much studying you (have to) do, where you spend your time outside of school, or how dedicated ATLHokie04 thinks you are to medicine. Maybe it is as bad as you say- maybe his first application cycle will be a wakeup call...but then again maybe he'll get in before you do. You have no right to judge this person and his motives, motivations, or future prospects. Somehow you think he's a bad reflection on all premeds...but if 3 years from now he's doing something other than medicine, how do you think that will look on him to all those people he told he was going be a doctor? Just worry about yourself; his life will sort itself out.

I agree, excellent point

Last edited:
i agree with OP, even a prof of mine mentioned that there are many students "who aren't premed anymore but don't realize it."

Interesting. I'm sometimes a bit ashamed to call myself a premed. I just tell them I major in x subject. Thinking about other students I've come across who call themselves premeds gives me the willies.

Am I alone on this? The reason I feel this way is because sometimes when people call themselves premeds they often emit some strange aura that says "I'm awesome." It's not a way I want to present myself to strangers.

I gotta confess. This is one of the things that attracts me to being a physician. Its exceedingly difficult to fake it through the process. Many who talk it can't walk it. Ha! This should make for enjoyment in your own accomplishments rather than frustration.

I wouldn't be so bothered by it. A pre-med is just someone who wants to go to medical school. It doesn't mean that they will. Seeing how so many students call themselves premeds, that label is hardly special.

However, don't be suprised when they decide that they are more interested in Optometry, Osteopathy, Pharmacy, Chioropractary, or Medieval Studies (I know a case of this, hah).

I think the only thing more annoying than these phony pre-meds who won't make it are the pretentious elitist pre-meds who, sadly, probably will.

I think the only thing more annoying than these phony pre-meds who won't make it are the pretentious elitist pre-meds who, sadly, probably will.

:thumbup::thumbup: :bow: :thumbup::thumbup:

Agreed wholeheartedly. I'd rather know a premed who doesn't try too hard than a premed who thinks that he's God's gift to man based on how hard he studies or whether he got an MPH to fight the medical ills of the world.

This is how my conversation goes everytime:

"So what are you going to college for?"
-"Biochemistry."
"What do you plan on doing after graduation?"
-"Applying to medical school."

Easiest way to do it. Then they ask you what kind of doctor you want to be and all I do is grit my teeth and tell them I have to get in first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Gunner much? Since when was living life to the fullest make you a phony pre-med?

I gladly say I'm a pre-med. I don't think you'd agree though. See you guys in med school... in between my MPH classes. :rolleyes:

I gotta confess. This is one of the things that attracts me to being a physician. Its exceedingly difficult to fake it through the process. Many who talk it can't walk it. Ha! This should make for enjoyment in your own accomplishments rather than frustration.

Yeah, because we do it to brag.

-"Biochemistry."

Easiest way to do it. Then they ask you what kind of doctor you want to be and all I do is grit my teeth and tell them I have to get in first.

hahaha i know the feeling exactly, its the convo i have everytime at the barber. i'm a neuroscience major so i always have to explain that, "No, i don't want to be a neurosurgeon"

hahaha i know the feeling exactly, its the convo i have everytime at the barber. i'm a neuroscience major so i always have to explain that, "No, i don't want to be a neurosurgeon"
I still remember asking on a non-medical forum: "Does anyone know any neuroscientists? What are the job prospects? How do they feel about their jobs?" The first response was "My neighbor's a neurosurgeon, and he drives a Ferrari, he seems pretty well-off..." The second response was "Well, you will have to go through 4 years of medical school, then neuroscience residency, and then you can become a neurosurgeon..."

And then I locked my thread.:smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

:laugh:

It almost seems as if he tells people he's pre-med because he likes the attention, but I think it's disrespectful to those of us that are pre-med and actually doing what it takes to get in!
Odds are technically 50/50 that you won't get in to med school. Are all the reapplicants being "disrespectful" by calling themselves premeds?

Also, the only attention you will get by identifying yourself as a pre-med will be negative. Aside from a proud mom and dad and the like.

Yeah, because we do it to brag.

Speak for yourself kid. I do it for me. You can do a thousand things with your life--I've done more than I can count. But very few speak practically from one person to another when they really need it.

I don't even tell anyone I'm pre-med anymore, and the ones I did tell, think I am no longer a premed. The reaction I have gotten is pretty negative, it's like people become obessed with you, they constantly try keep tabs on your progress, and any negative stories about the medical field or physicians in general, become front and center in any conversation. I have even learned not to tell professors, it's the first thing they ask. Are there any premeds? I do not raise my hand, if I need a LOR, I'll let them know after mid-terms, lol.

-"Biochemistry."

Actually - there is a much, much better way to do it.

-"Quantum physics."
-(rub my hands together and lick my lips) "Taking over the world."

They'll think you're a little weird, but I guarantee that they WILL leave you alone. It worked for me!

I don't even tell anyone I'm pre-med anymore, and the ones I did tell, think I am no longer a premed. The reaction I have gotten is pretty negative, it's like people become obessed with you, they constantly try keep tabs on your progress, and any negative stories about the medical field or physicians in general, become front and center in any conversation. I have even learned not to tell professors, it's the first thing they ask. Are there any premeds? I do not raise my hand, if I need a LOR, I'll let them know after mid-terms, lol.

That reminds me of something.

As I was waiting for the bus one afternoon a law student at my university engages in some small talk with me. After basically coercing me to confess that I was going into medicine she immediately remarks that doctors don't make a lot of money.

That reminds me of something.

As I was waiting for the bus one afternoon a law student at my university engages in some small talk with me. After basically coercing me to confess that I was going into medicine she immediately remarks that doctors don't make a lot of money.

And all lawyers do? I've never seen as many billboard ads for doctors as I do for lawyers, but that's a topic that's already been discussed ad nauseum and that I wouldn't approach with a ten-foot pole.

I really don't think....

So, I think that you misunderstood my post. :confused: Wow, I didn't mean for it to be taken like that at all. He can call himself whatever he wants. "Pre-med" isn't even a major/track at most universities.

Medicine is challenging and requires hard work. I guess I just wanted to vent a little...... how can you say you want to be doctor but yet not do what it takes to be competitive? And it isn't because he can't do it, he just doesn't. I know that there are plenty of people that don't get into med school for whatever reason and I feel for them because they made the effort. I guess I just wanted to express my frustration about him not taking the process seriously. (p.s. I know he wasn't ready for the MCAT because he flat out told me)

And all lawyers do? I've never seen as many billboard ads for doctors as I do for lawyers, but that's a topic that's already been discussed ad nauseum and that I wouldn't approach with a ten-foot pole.

I just told her I wasn't in it for the money and kind of left it at that. Didn't want to get in a little commuting quarrel. :)

how can you say you want to be doctor but yet not do what it takes to be competitive?

I understand your frustration but it's not all too absurd. It's actually pretty easy. Surely we're allowed to dream.

For instance, suppose that Jimmy is super handsome and all the pretty girls like him. I happen to like the 5th girl to Jimmy's left.

Am I such a criminal for wanting such things? :oops:

Imagine someone being mad at me because I'm not as competitive.

Odds are technically 50/50 that you won't get in to med school. Are all the reapplicants being "disrespectful" by calling themselves premeds?

Also, the only attention you will get by identifying yourself as a pre-med will be negative. Aside from a proud mom and dad and the like.

Not at all. If you're making the effort and taking the process seriously then go for it and good luck.

I only was using "pre-med" as a way to shorten "a person planning to go to medical school" in the post. Labeling isn't what I was getting at... rather making the declaration and not actually following up is the source of my frustration.

I don't walk around telling people I'm "pre-med"... doesn't really make sense anyway since I'm non-traditional. If people ask, I say I'm applying to medical school.... trust me, I don't think it makes me "special", but I know that I've worked hard to be where I'm at. So, I'm gonna roll the dice and see what happens....

I don't think the applicants that actually get as far as the MCATs and secondaries are the ones the OP is talking about. It's more the 80% of science undergrads who think they're going to be neurosurgeons one day without doing anything for it. I know it shouldn't matter, but when you're working your butt off and someone who isn't doing anything claims parity with you it does irk you.

Think of it this way. Imagine you were a varsity football player in college, you're practicing 5 hours a day, you've spent more time on that field than in your bed, and you're hoping against hope for a shot at the NFL draft. Now imagine you start a conversation with some 5'10 overweight frat guy on his way back from an intramural game and he say "yeah I play football too. I'm thinking of maybe going for the Cowboys when I graduate. Unless I do Law instead". Would it be wrong to think that guy is a douchetard?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: exactly.

Well, If what you say is true, that is an excellent point. I guess I never thought of it like that

Last edited:

For example, I know this guy who had a life changing experience in college that caused him to switch from sports journalism to medicine, a pediatric oncologist to be exact. He tells everyone... "yeah, I'm gonna go to medical school", but then he didn't want to jump through the hoops to actually get into medical school. He wouldn't study to get A's in the prereqs, he didn't participate in any research or shadowing or ec's, and he went on a vacation for two weeks right before his MCAT (returned on wednesday, test on friday). I know that I shouldn't care because he's the one that isn't going to get into medical school, but I guess it's just frustrating. It almost seems as if he tells people he's pre-med because he likes the attention, but I think it's disrespectful to those of us that are pre-med and actually doing what it takes to get in! I want to be supportive of him when he doesn't get into any medical schools, but at the same time I don't because he didn't do anything to deserve it.

Honestly, I don't even tell people anymore that I'm pre-med...the pre-meds like you described above (and since they weren't mentioned, the snobbish, dingus-ish and generally douchebag-type pre-meds as well) are pathetic enough that I don't want to be associated with them in any way. I just tell people I'm a biochemistry major and I leave it at that. If they want to press further, then I'll tell them I plan to go to paramedic school next year then medical school after I get my bachelor, but I do /not/ use the term "pre-med" anymore.

this is the kind of mentality i really hate.

why does it even bother you that this guy calls himself premed? Let him live his dream. When I play ball with my buds, whenever I make a basket, I shout AI. :D

who are you to burst that kid's bubble? reality will kick in sooner or later. but im sure as hell sure that this kid does not need some uptight kid like you getting all upset over it.

wow, gunner mentality at its finest. freaks me out sometimes.

sorry, i don't really agree with you... i don't think as premeds we deserve any glory. none of us knows who's going to get in or who isn't, and even those of us who have a high chance of getting in shouldn't feel arrogant in any way... i mean, i call myself a premed only because i'm only working to get into medical school and not because i'm better than anybody...

who are you to burst that kid's bubble?

No one... and that's why I haven't and wouldn't. I've been supportive, even offered to let him borrow my kaplan books. Just take it seriously.... it's a big decision.

As has been said, Who cares? Let them dream. I actually feel sorry for the ones who have not had the weed out courses. Maybe it is a sense of obligation to enter organic next semester and urge the new students to get out of the room if they hold any regard for their sanity. On second thought, it might be more entertaining to just watch them deal with the course. :laugh:

I really enjoy some of the people that tell me, "I might just take the MCAT to see how well I do." I look at them blank-eyed and just mutter, "Yeah, they make you sign a form saying you plan on applying to medical school." And then I think, are you an idiot? Why waste 5 and a half hours of your time on the most horrendous exam of your life thus far.

To agree with a majority of the people in this thread, I don't think most pre-meds realize what they are getting into at all. I have "pre-med" friends that haven't started volunteering/shadowing/ECing and we're going into junior year. They haven't made an effort at all. Reality will hit them hard. I guess I can pick them up after they fall?

OP,

You seem like a good person. I mean, in your last post you talked about offering to help the guy.

If you go back and read your first post, doesn't it seem a bit elitist?

Just remember that what it takes for one to get accepted is different than another. Good luck to you and to your friend.

One more thing..........the more unprepared people who take the MCAT, the better the curve for those who are prepared. :D

Well, you can also offer them advice about how to improve their application without being totally negative and bringing down harsh reality on them. Everyone can always be constructive in how they give advice without "bursting their bubble". They can choose to take your advice or not, but as a friend, I would assume that you want to do what it takes to help them out without waiting for them to fall first.

I've been trying. I got a few people interested in the volunteer program I did. The few that actually want to go to medical school usually take the advice well, although there are a few that hold themselves above everyone else and think their way is the best way. Oh well.

For example, I know this guy who had a life changing experience in college that caused him to switch from sports journalism to medicine, a pediatric oncologist to be exact. He tells everyone... "yeah, I'm gonna go to medical school", but then he didn't want to jump through the hoops to actually get into medical school. He wouldn't study to get A's in the prereqs, he didn't participate in any research or shadowing or ec's, and he went on a vacation for two weeks right before his MCAT (returned on wednesday, test on friday). I know that I shouldn't care because he's the one that isn't going to get into medical school, but I guess it's just frustrating. It almost seems as if he tells people he's pre-med because he likes attention, but I think it's disrespectful to those of us that are pre-med and actually working hard doing what it takes to get in! I want to be supportive of him when he doesn't get into any medical schools, but at the same time I don't because he didn't do anything to deserve it.

Why do you care? Concentrate on building yourself up and let people like that not get in.

How dare those people claim a title that we worked so hard to earn!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::rolleyes:

I'd rather know a premed who doesn't try too hard than a premed who thinks that he's God's gift to man based on how hard he studies or whether he got an MPH to fight the medical ills of the world.

Maybe it's the gunner side of me but I wholeheartedly agree with that statement!

It does bother me a little when some random freshman who hasn't even taken gen-chem yet declares that she's going to be an orthopedic surgeon, but to me that's better than having no goal whatsoever. I pretty much go with my major if asked, then say that I'm applying to medical school. When I get the near-universal "What kind of a doctor do you want to be" I just smile sweetly and spout some BS about internal medicine. I've learned that people just keep asking if you say (truthfully) "I haven't even gotten in anywhere and I have absolutely no idea."

sorry, i don't really agree with you... i don't think as premeds we deserve any glory. none of us knows who's going to get in or who isn't, and even those of us who have a high chance of getting in shouldn't feel arrogant in any way... i mean, i call myself a premed only because i'm only working to get into medical school and not because i'm better than anybody...

I think this sums it up.

I myself don't tend to be very "studious" in the sense of spending hours and hours in the library, and I can make very good grades by studying maybe a 10th of what other people do (not that I expect this to work again in medical school :smuggrin: ), and I don't really tend to participate a lot in class, not to mention that I was never obsessed with pre-med clubs :)barf:) or research projects in undergrad.

I cannot tell you how many times I have been dismissed as someone who wasn't competition by other pre-meds, because they think if I'm not as obnoxious or eager I must not be that smart.

My point? That you cannot judge people just by the behavior you observe in class. Some people need to study 40 hours a week to make straight A's, others only need to study 10 hours. Some people could make a 35 on the MCAT with a month of prep, others need to study way more to make the same score (I'm sure I fall in the latter group). It's all relative, and you don't have any authority to decide who's worthy of calling themselves "pre-med."

I dont think the varsity football player in your example would really care what anyone else has to say.

Personally, I know how you feel. I'm guessing that those of you who feel upset about this are probably freshmen, because thats how I felt when I was a freshman. Then, I started getting A's in my pre-med classes, and I felt like I didnt have to prove myself to anyone. I became confident with my ability. I think this will solve your problem.

I dont know if anyone else will be confident in you at all. You spout opinion as fact, much of which is dead wrong.

But hey...that just my opinion. (fact)

maybe the dude is doing well and just doesn't want to act all anal. some people just take stress better. that dude could secretly be kicking your ass in classes, getting all his ECs together, and got a 35 on the MCAT. in the end, does it really matter? as long as you get in. let him figure his crap out if he hasn't already.

lesson to be learned: don't be an anal premed. no one likes those people.

lesson to be learned: don't be an anal premed. no one likes those people.

Agreed. Because they end up being the anal med students. And despite what you might think, being the friendly one in med school works out to your advantage a whole lot better than being the gunner. :thumbup:

Peripherally related topic:

People will misclassify, misrepresent things all the time. My barber, the last time I went, told me she was going to medical school. I perked up and immediately got interested, and got into conversation where she later told me that she was in medical school as a surgical tech. I didn't correct her or anything and continued the conversation, she seemed nice enough to talk about her own life and I was in no position to bring the thunderdome of PA upon her :)

That's funny Braluk I've experienced a lot of this type of thing also. I keep my mouth shut too. In their defense when I was in EMT school I had a hard time explaining to my wife's grandmother that I was not a medical student.:)

I think yall are being to hard on the OP because even though I don't agree with the tone or conclusion I do agree with the assessment of the prevalence in general of people who talk without delivering anything. I am glad to have chosen a career where whoever my future colleague are and no matter what their personality it likely made little difference who their daddy was or how much they can BS their way through life. In a lot of fields its these things and less personal merit that controls outcomes. I like the hard measure of results for something resembling a meritocracy.

If you've yet to venture beyond the lecture halls of life it is likely that you have yet to feel the sting and sneer of people who think they're better than you simply because they were either born into money or BS'd there way over people to be "successful." When you earn more experience and less "bleeding heart" idealism that finds sanctuary in higher education you will appreciate more the laws of natural selection in a process that at least resembles a meritocracy.

The only thing that bugs me are pre-meds that act immorally/irresponsibly. If you smoke pot/drink and drive on a regular basis, it doesn't seem like you will be likely to respect prescription laws once you are a doctor or handle that kind of responsibility.

So, I think that you misunderstood my post. :confused: Wow, I didn't mean for it to be taken like that at all. He can call himself whatever he wants. "Pre-med" isn't even a major/track at most universities.

Medicine is challenging and requires hard work. I guess I just wanted to vent a little...... how can you say you want to be doctor but yet not do what it takes to be competitive? And it isn't because he can't do it, he just doesn't. I know that there are plenty of people that don't get into med school for whatever reason and I feel for them because they made the effort. I guess I just wanted to express my frustration about him not taking the process seriously. (p.s. I know he wasn't ready for the MCAT because he flat out told me)

Lol, i don't mean to be offensive, but it's not really your place to judge him. Just chill and let him be. The important thing is to make sure YOUR a pre-med and you're going to get into med school. Don't spend your energy on others...it's not your place and makes you look immature...

You don't always have to so competitive. Each person has different piority, and some people just wouldn't let being a pre-med make them into a 24 hr study worm and lose the undergrad experience... Once, I decided to campaign for student government instead of studying for my Orgo Chem test and ended up with a B in that class. But at that time, winning student government was IMPORTANT to me, more so than Orgo chem because it was what I liked and loved and I just wouldn't compromise that because i'm pre-med. Unfortunately, I still lost the position :(

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree. You made some good points though. Good luck!

Last edited: