YOU think CORNELL (NYP) has good housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarchMover

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
YOU!!!! You think that Cornell has good housing? Are you seriously using that as a measure of which New York program to rank higher? Please read on.

Those who have been seduced by the remarkably cheap housing available to house staff at New York Presbyterian Cornell Medical Center should be wary of your "agreement" with the Hospital for this housing!

Did you know that New York Presbyterian Cornell Medical Center has recently issued a letter to 26 of its tenants ordering them to "surrender" (yes, I quote) their apartments by March? This letter was issued Jan 7 2005, giving the busy house staff only 60 days to prepare for a mid-year move!

Your "lease" with New York Presbyterian Hospital is not a lease at all, should you choose to live in this housing. You would sign a 30 day self-renewing license agreement for a 12 month period. And they can terminate without any of the usual protections granted by NYC housing in a 30 day period. Basically, you can be relocated at a moment's notice, and you will most likely be moved to an inferior apartment.

As you might imagine, the offerings for "replacement" apartments have been scarce and of poor quality in the minds of those affected. In addition, little explanation has been offered, other than "patient care" requires more office space where 26 families currently live. No explanation of the short notice, or why waiting until the usual massive housing turnover occurs in July is impossible has been offered at this time. The affect that stressing out already overworked residents will have on patient care has not been acknowledged. I guess that NEJM article regarding resident work habits doesn't matter.

Picture yourself a few years from now, working 80 (that's a joke) hours a week, attempting a social existence outside of work, studying for your board examinations and professional career, and needing to pick up and move in the middle of the year without a reasonable explanation!

It is true that housing is quite expensive in NYC... some of you may even be considering programs that REQUIRE you to live in a housing situation that does not grant you the same rights as all the other tenants renting in this city. The increased cost of having a secure living environment is worth your peace of mind. After all, during residency, your time is far more valuable than any monetary concerns. Many of those affected are SENIOR residents, completing residency on June 30th, and moving out at that time. The administration has refused any compromise even for these individuals.

So, don't be so naive, my friends! For those of you who already are New Yorkers, or those about to become, or those who may someday be, if someone is offering you something "free" in NYC, you better look at the real pricetag. Cause, chances are, someone's trying to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

Members don't see this ad.

I am so glad that MarchMover posted this issue! I cannot believe the blatant disrespect that NYP-Cornell has shown us!

I was a top candidate and had my choice of residencies in NYC!!!! I chose this place basically for the housing!!! Now I wish that I had gone to NYU or Columbia instead, and just rented my own place. At least then I would not have all my time wasted by a move in March of my senior year of residency!! I am taking my boards this year and have no time for this!!!!

Anyone who thinks that NYP-Cornell has good housing is right... too bad that you have no rights or respect when you live there. We have had horrible conditions.... cockroaches, mice, and multiple large scale construction projects surround most of the housing offered... I cannot sleep post-call, and never get to sleep on the weekends, because of the horrible construction. It is really bad conditions!!!

That totally sucks.

Let me add my $0.02: Living in NYC is tough but NYP Housing makes it that much worse. Rent has increased every year since I've been here. Its totally freezing during the winter because they only turn the heat on at night. There are about a million cockroaches. Also, there will be construction on some of the blocks for the next two years to three years (good luck with sleep). I admit that I didn't think about any of this stuff when selecting the program. But, it really does hurt your daily life (not to mention your social life). Try bringing your parents or a significant other over when there are a couple of cockroaches running around the elevator (that's actually happened). The worst part is that nobody cares about it at all. After you've signed the lease or whatever it is you're basically the Housing Office's b**ch. Try getting a toilet fixed on the weekend! One of the people from my program had to shower in a friend's apartment for a whole week because nobody would come to fix his shower. One tip: the housing lady takes bribes (think scotch).

Members don't see this ad :)
:rolleyes: That sounds like NYC ... what total bull%$#

:thumbdown:

It's unbelievable! As it turns out, there has been similar situations that have occurred multiple times in the past! This is not an isolated incident. There are a number of residents who were living in a brownstone owned by NYP who are also being relocated!

Cornell declares itself one of the best medical schools in the country publicly, and then treats the house staff without respect or without any regard to dignity. This institution was at the center of the Bell Commission hearings that established the current resident work hours in NYC, and there are widespread violations across departments. Not only does this break the law in NY state, it violates ACGME guidelines, which therefore jeopardizes your board certification for your subspecialty!!!!!

Make no mistake!!! I started this thread to warn medical students applying to this institution so that you will have all the facts!!! At this point, the house staff affected by this move have been given no explanation, little room to negotiate, and no respect. There are pregnant women affected, families with small children affected, and many residents studying for their boards! Put yourself in our shoes for a moment.....

Sorry to bump my thread with my 2 replies...

Please reply to this thread to demonstrate that the community at large is aware of this problem!

All the above is true, and I agree with all the previous posts. However, one thing that they failed to mention was the MICE. yes MICE. there are mice in this builiding, and two apts on my floor moved last year because their apts were infested with MICE. They were huge mice too, must have gotten fat off all the roaches in this place. Construction is also affecting ALL the buildings, not just the one people are being evicted from. The construction goes on for blocks. . . .all days of the week, and even most Saturdays.

Cornell may claim it has great housing, the best in NYC, but I beg to differ.

That was a fun conversation I just had with a good friend of mine applying for medical school. Turns out, he was counting on nice housing with his residency, and that otherwise couldn't afford to live in NYC. So he's dropping Cornell down and ranking cheaper cities higher.

Sorry about those mice! Haven't seen any myself, but then I may be in a roach stronghold that the mice can't survive in! :laugh:

DoctorFriendly said:
That was a fun conversation I just had with a good friend of mine applying for medical school. Turns out, he was counting on nice housing with his residency, and that otherwise couldn't afford to live in NYC. So he's dropping Cornell down and ranking cheaper cities higher.

Sorry about those mice! Haven't seen any myself, but then I may be in a roach stronghold that the mice can't survive in! :laugh:

Not that I don't believe the OP about what's going on with Cornell housing because I'm sure it must be awful, but I find it suspicious that all the responses (except Paws) are from SDN members who just joined this month who have 0+ posts.

pillowhead said:
Not that I don't believe the OP about what's going on with Cornell housing because I'm sure it must be awful, but I find it suspicious that all the responses (except Paws) are from SDN members who just joined this month who have 0+ posts.

I don't think I believe this at all! His posts make no sense! For example...

"That was a fun conversation I just had with a good friend of mine applying for medical school. Turns out, he was counting on nice housing with his residency, and that otherwise couldn't afford to live in NYC. So he's dropping Cornell down and ranking cheaper cities higher."

soooo... I'm supposed to believe that this guy's friend is applying to med school, and in order to choose his schools, is looking at the housing he might have if he stayed at the school for residency? That's AWFULLY odd... and his reference to "ranking" Cornell sounds an awful lot like someone's confusing residency applications to med school applications... me thinks a high schooler has gotten confused... or perhaps a Cornell reject is getting revenge...
:rolleyes:

Hey! Paws here and I second what these peeps are saying. I know the construction and the insanity of NYC. Is it still the Memorial Sloan-Kettering stuff going on??? They are taking over the whole of frickin' 68th street between 1st and york - and they're a terrible hospital and an awful place to try and work.

I wouldn't go there is I had cancer (speaking as someone who DID once work there), and I would dissuade anyone I knew or cared about not to go there either.

What Cornell is doing is no different from what Columbia does to its students periodically, or probably NYU as well. With housing costs and the intense pressure to make money resting on the shoulders of these institutions (Sandy Weil and Arthur Greenberg, not withstanding) I am not surprised they treat their tenants like this. Like I said, sounds like NYC just like it always was ... ;)

Guys! The reason there are a lot of new members is because a few of the people affected in the building have all signed up to explain their experiences.

Thank you, Paws, for your support here. This is really happening, no joke! Yes it is the MSK construction, and Cornell has just started a new project a block down.

Besides, don't take my word for it. If you have any friends at Cornell Med School or in residency, have them ask some people who live in Phipps on whether this is true or not... if I could post original documents to support the validity of these statements, I would. Come March, 26 apartments here will be vacated and turned into office space, and all the residents who live here will be forced into some inferior alternative to their current housing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if alerting the media to our housing situation would be useful? If any major newspaper or network had any interest, it would put the public eye on NYP. I'm not sure if the public would take up the "plight of the poor doctors." Just a thought.

Paws said:
Hey! Paws here and I second what these peeps are saying. I know the construction and the insanity of NYC. Is it still the Memorial Sloan-Kettering stuff going on??? They are taking over the whole of frickin' 68th street between 1st and york - and they're a terrible hospital and an awful place to try and work.

I wouldn't go there is I had cancer (speaking as someone who DID once work there), and I would dissuade anyone I knew or cared about not to go there either.

What Cornell is doing is no different from what Columbia does to its students periodically, or probably NYU as well. With housing costs and the intense pressure to make money resting on the shoulders of these institutions (Sandy Weil and Arthur Greenberg, not withstanding) I am not surprised they treat their tenants like this. Like I said, sounds like NYC just like it always was ... ;)

Do any of you attend Cornell? I don't know where they place the residents but the med students, for the first time, were refunded half a months rent for the noise pollution. Granted I'd rather not have the noise pollution nearby, but at least the university shelled out 25 K for the first year class to feel better.

Also, the building will be built by 2006 or so. And I have no clue about the mice.

-Ice

I live out west, but I did live in NY for a while. How about channel 11? I always liked them for news. Or what about Fox Five News? They are located just up the street between 2nd and 1st ave I think, on 67th street. See if you can get Rosanna Scotto out to have a look. ;) (Is she still on the air?!)

I bet the Post would have a ball with this and even better, they are not associated with NYPH in any way (probably). I doubt the Times would touch this one for all the political fallout that might occur.

If you think this is bull, call Marty Cohen VP Real Estate (or the Housing Office) and ask him if he's kicking out people from Phipps House. Ask him if there's a cockroach problem, or if he's jacked up rents for the past three years, or ask him how much people are upset about it or ask him about the construction. Lots of doctors and their families are affected. If you want to email me, post an anonymous email address and I'll reply with a breakdown of what's happening here.

If you want to come to Cornell, you should really think about this. But please don't tell me this is bull when this is happening RIGHT NOW. If you have friends at Cornell, call them and ask them what's happening. Call the program directors and ask them. This is easily confirmable.

ice_23 said:
Do any of you attend Cornell? I don't know where they place the residents but the med students, for the first time, were refunded half a months rent for the noise pollution. Granted I'd rather not have the noise pollution nearby, but at least the university shelled out 25 K for the first year class to feel better.

Also, the building will be built by 2006 or so. And I have no clue about the mice.

-Ice

To answer your question, yes, all the new posters (o+ crew) live and work at Cornell. What astounds me is that the medical students were compensated for the noise pollution, but that residents were not! Thank you for that valuable information, I will certainly ask Mr. Cohen and the Real Estate office where my refund is.
As to the reality of this situation.... I will not post the number of the NYP-Cornell Real Estate office to avoid appearing inflammatory, but I will say that it is easily obtained on the website. Call and verify Monday morning. Ask if three floors of Phipps house are being vacated. You will find that at least five households have already been moved....

Paws said:
I live out west, but I did live in NY for a while. How about channel 11? I always liked them for news. Or what about Fox Five News? They are located just up the street between 2nd and 1st ave I think, on 67th street. See if you can get Rosanna Scotto out to have a look. ;) (Is she still on the air?!)

I bet the Post would have a ball with this and even better, they are not associated with NYPH in any way (probably). I doubt the Times would touch this one for all the political fallout that might occur.

Thanks, I'm gonna look into it. The Post !!! I can just see the headline.

Here is part of a letter sent to the Housing Office and emailed to residents (with permission of the authors):

Dear Mr. Cohen:

We received your letters dated January 7, 2005 and January 26, 2005. Those letters threatened the 2nd and 3rd floors residents of the North Tower of Phipps House and the 3rd floor residents of the South Tower of Phipps House with forcible eviction from their homes by March 1, 2005. We thank you for the generous six week notice period to pack our belongings while we are busily studying for our board exams and taking care of patients. This action imposes considerable and unreasonable hardships on graduating residents: it forces us to move twice within six months while we are studying for our upcoming board exams.

Although we have tried to seek resolution with your office, it is clear that your office does not wish to be cooperative. As such, we and other residents are forced to explore our legal rights and remedies.

Over the past three years we have dealt with several housing issues and have tried to keep a positive attitude. This latest action, however, has pushed us to our limits. Thus, I would like to present you, and the NYPH community, with a non-exclusive list of what your leadership has accomplished in the previous three years and its impact on residents:

(a) Cockroaches: Over the past three years, Phipps House has been inundated with cockroaches during the non-winter months. This is no longer just a nuisance but has become a serious health issue. As any resident can tell (and show) you, there are cockroaches in the first floor, the basement, the laundry room, the elevators, other building floors and the compactor rooms. This problem has gotten worse over the past three years, even after your office was alerted to it several times. This presents serious health issues for healthcare workers and patients, alike.

We have friends and family in other hospital housing throughout this city and we have yet to hear about a cockroach problem or actually see a cockroach in non-NYPH buildings.

(b) Construction. When we were selecting housing we were not alerted to the construction on 68th and 69th Streets by anyone in your office. Over the past three years, residents of Phipps House have had to deal with construction noise, as early as 5 a.m. This is especially difficult when a resident is "post-call" and has just come off a 24-hour shift. As you know, sleep is critical to a resident's effectiveness as a healthcare worker. The construction noise has severely impacted patient care and patients should be aware of this issue, immediately.

Let me highlight for you what we have had to deal with on a daily basis. First, there was the Memorial building being built on 68th Street. As you may be aware, there was demolition work done almost every day for several months. These demolitions not only contributed to extraordinarily high levels of noise, making sleep and rest impossible, they also physically shook the building. For those residents will small children this was not just a matter of nuisance, but rather has impacted their daily quality of life.

Second, there is the new Cornell building being built on 69th Street. The impact of that construction is as follows: Generally, residents awake to construction workers yelling and screaming at 6 a.m., unless a truck needs to be on the job site, in which case 5 a.m. or 5:30 a.m. is our "wake-up" alarm. Removal of debris by heavy equipment, drilling and other general construction begins sharply at 7 a.m. This is followed by general construction throughout the day.

Imagine that you are a healthcare worker coming off of a 24-hour "on call" shift. You are now post call with one day to get some rest before you have to go back to work. Unfortunately, sleep is impossible because of the noise. Make no mistake: this impacts quality of patient care, and is something that patients and their families should be alerted to.

When we have personally alerted your office to this problem, your office has either (a) not returned our call; (b) passed responsibility as a "Cornell problem"; or (c) dismissed our complaint as trivial. You get to go home at 5 p.m. everyday. We live and work here. Please do not dismiss our complaints until you actually live in the building.

(c) General Building Deterioration. At least several times a month, an elevator malfunctions at Phipps House. This leads to severe delays for most residents. When a resident has to hurry to work to meet an emergency or return home from an exhausting day/night at work, that delay impacts patient care. Your office is aware of this issue.

Hot water is another issue at Phipps. Normally, some plumbing issues are to be expected in any apartment building in Manhattan. What strikes us is that this is on-going problem that your office has been unable to alleviate for three years.

(d) Rent Increases Every Year. Finally, under your watch our rent has increased every year.

We were wondering what this increase in rent would be used for. We were hoping for extermination of the entire building or perhaps new elevators or more effective heaters. Instead, during out stay at Phipps House we have observed the following upgrades: (1) the front doors have been replaced; (2) the old laundry machines that malfunctioned constantly were upgraded to machines that require more money for laundry; and (3) the lobby and stairwells have been repainted dull white and dull yellow, respectively. We thank you for the direct improvement in our daily lives.

It should be clear to your office that housing is a primary factor in every applicant's decision to become a resident at NYPH-Cornell. Questions about housing are invariably the first or second question that an applicant asks. We have a duty to be truthful to those applicants. Indeed, for most of us, housing was either the first or second most important factor in choosing Cornell over other programs in this city. Knowing what we know today, we would not have repeated that choice. While the doctors and programs at Cornell are effective, the lack of minimal, decent housing, which can be taken away from you almost immediately, is not worth it. Your office should clearly understand that Cornell risks losing its best applicants when current residents describe their poor quality of life.

We have tried as best we could to deal with the situation. We understand and are thankful for our subsidized housing. We do not expect, nor do we seek luxury housing. What we do expect is quiet enjoyment of our home and to be able to help our patients as best we can. You have constantly violated that right for the past three years. You have made it extraordinarily difficult to serve our patients. Now, you bully us from our homes and dismiss our concerns.

The employees of this hospital work very hard and long hours to make it a great hospital. You had a choice: treat those employees with decency and respect or generate more revenue from a measly three floors, alienating both junior and senior residents across several departments. You can be sure that we will remember your choice and share our experience at NYPH-Cornell.

Sincerely,
XXXXXX and XXXXXX

Jeez guys, I didn't know it was this bad for you residents. The medical students have pretty good housing in olin and lasden; no pests, refunds for the noise pollution, etc. But it may be because we are affiliated through the medical school and not directly through NYPH? I don't know.

I'm sorry for the crap you guys have had to go through. You definitely should let someone know about the moving. I'd be incredibly pissed if that happened to me.

-Ice

Yup, it's that bad. I gotta say, that's good that they at least treat the students well, but it seems unfair that they are willing to admit that the noise is a major problem to the tune of compensating only those who could easily bail out and go somewhere else (ie first year class has the least invested in this place and could transfer if they felt like it). I am going to address this issue with housing office.

I'm also going to alert them to the fact that this thread exists, has been viewed by many, and that the medical student/ house staff community at large is watching, and waiting to see how NYP handles this situation.

There is a rumor that the move may be cancelled, and we are all keeping our fingers crossed.

As for the refund, still waiting for a response... doubt they will cave on that one.

is NYP the same school as Weill? just curious.

adoggie said:
is NYP the same school as Weill? just curious.

NYP stands for NewYork-Presbyterian (Hospital). The Original Poster is talking about the (Weill) Cornell campus. There is a Columbia campus which is affiliated with NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital as well.

So there are two medical schools that share a hospital (NYP), but they're at different campuses.

-Ice

In fairness to the administration, I will report that they have caved in and will not be forcing graduating residents to move at all. They replied in a letter that stated that they would postpone the move due to the stress it was causing the house staff!!!

They are still moving people after that, and we will continue to pursue compensation for those affected.

We are also going to pursue compensation for the noise pollution, but I feel that this illustrates a rare example of the unique collective bargaining power that residents actually have in this system. The hospitals that employ us are aware of how completely they rely upon us to provide health care to our patients. I urge all residents/ future residents to contact the Committee of Interns and Residents (CIR) and attempt to join this union.

Thanks for reading....

We used to live on Long Island. My Dad did a one month rotation at MSK, and they gave him a place that was right near by. Coming in from Long Island (and we lived in an apartment at that time), I thought his place was a box. His bedroom basically had enough space to accomodate the bed. But now that I think about it, was a pretty nice place for Manhattan.

That said, I wouldn't want to live in NYC unless I had a lot of money. For lawyers and business people, their big city salaries make up the difference, but in medicine you get about the same pay no matter where you go, so people in the more costly places get screwed.

It's happening again. This time they are just kicking out hundreds because of Phipps and Staff House demolitions.
No compensation whatsoever.

This does nothing but confirm my view that NYC is a better place to visit than live.

100s of staff have been blind sided. The vacancy rate is lower than 1 and the rent is through the roof.
People are still trying to comprehend what's going on. Most of us haven't slept in days.

And it is Martin Cohen who sent out the notice.

100s of staff have been blind sided. The vacancy rate is lower than 1 and the rent is through the roof.
People are still trying to comprehend what's going on. Most of us haven't slept in days.

Is this medical students, or residents, or both?

Terrible situation either way. I would never want to live in NYC anyway, but this would be plenty of encouragement to make me run the other way had I ever considered living there in the first place.

Anyone affected by the demolition of Phipps and the other building be aware:

Familes with children are getting an extra month -- until June 30, 2012 -- to find a new place to live.

Good for them but this is DISCRIMINATION. As long as the building will be open and functioning they should give everyone this option.

Anyone affected by the demolition of Phipps and the other building be aware:

Familes with children are getting an extra month -- until June 30, 2012 -- to find a new place to live.

Uh, that was like a month and a half ago.

RENTER BEWARE!

I made the biggest mistake of my life when I decided to live in NYP housing. Here is my story and the hell that they have brought to me.

In 2009, I decided to move to NYC from the west coast after being accepted into law school. As a healthcare professional, I had accepted a job with NYP and one of their "perks" is offering all employees the ability to live in hospital housing. As the housing market in NYC is quite different from any other place in the country, this was an easy transition for me in relocating to the city. I ended up moving into their "new" building, 1330 1st Avenue, which is located by the Cornell campus. I lived in hospital-housing from 2009 until 2011.

First, the lease for hospital-housing is on a month-to-month basis. For some, this might be attractive when you first move to the area and want to get comfortable before going out to seek other living arrangements. However, a month-to-month tenancy providers the landlord with a lot of power over the tenant. If you decided to leave NYP, you must vacate your apartment immediately. In addition, the landlord is able to terminate your tenancy at any time and for any reason. If the landlord elects to terminate your tenancy, all they are required to provide you with a 30-day notice. This happened in my case. On March 24, 2011, I returned home to find a Notice to Terminate Tenancy under my door. This gave me until May 1, 2009 to move out of my apartment. On May 1, 2011, I vacated my apartment and returned my keys to the management. Now fast forward to 2013.

In January 2013, NYP housing (aka Royal Charter Properties) filed a claim against me in New York City Civil Court. The claim alleged that "I had broken my lease" and sought damages in the sum of rent for the months of May and June of 2011. In addition, they sought $500 for attorney's fees from me for allegedly breaking the lease. The law firm for NYP housing alleged that they served me with notice on or about March 1, 2013. This just happens to be 24 hours after I was released from the hospital from having cervical spine surgery. In their affidavit of service, the Process Server alleged that he served my "African-American relative" (I'm white and have nothing against people of other races. However, I do not have an African-American relative). In addition, this Process Server simply added an "e" to my last name when they named this alleged relative that they served. I finally discovered the claim against me when the law firm moved for a default judgment and had the Marshall serve me with these papers. Here, they were ready to move forward with garnishing my wages and seizing my bank account. Also, they had already reported the default judgment to the credit reporting agencies.

After being served with the Default Judgment, I went to the courthouse and had the file pulled. I moved the court to vacate the default judgment for lack of personal jurisdiction over my person. Through my research and discovery, I became aware that the Process Server who had allegedly served my African-American relative had had his Process Server license revoked because he failed to maintain the records required by NYC law. The Order to Show Cause (my motion to vacate the judgment) went before the court. At this point, I had two choices. I could have either gone to a Traverse Hearing where I would be able to cross examine their Process Server or I could stipulate to personal jurisdiction of the court and be permitted to Answer their complaint. Because they had plenty of time remaining on their Statute of Limitations, I elected to stipulate and was provided an opportunity to answer the complaint and bring forth any and all affirmative defenses. Also, the law firm representing NYP housing had allowed me extended time to answer the complaint.

In December 2013, I submitted my answer to the complaint and laid out several affirmative defenses. First, I denied all allegations in their complaint. Second, I provided them with three affirmative defenses. First, that the documentary evidence establishes their failure to state a cause of action for which relief may be sought. Second, the they have failed to state a cause of action for which relief may be sought. Third, the landlord has an obligation to mitigate damages. Prior to filing my Motion to Dismiss, I provided their counsel with every opportunity to discontinue the claim. I forwarded their counsel, through email, the scanned documents which showed that they were the one that elected to terminate the lease when they served me with a Notice to Terminate Tenancy on or about March 24, 2011. In addition, I provided them with scanned copies of the mover receipts that showed that I had vacated the apartment on May 1, 2011 and a signed copy of my new lease that started on May 1, 2011. I heard nothing from their attorneys.

After hearing nothing from their attorneys, I moved forward and filed my Motion to Dismiss with the court on December 12, 2013. The return date (date of hearing) for the Motion to Dismiss was scheduled for January 8, 2014. Because I had provided the plaintiff more than 12 days notice, the plaintiff had an obligation to serve any opposition papers at least seven days before the return date. As you can imagine, they did not file or serve any opposition papers. Today, January 7, 2013, I was scheduled for a pretrial conference with their attorneys regarding this matter. After taking a half of a day off from work to go to the courthouse, their attorneys requested an adjournment for the pretrial conference until the Motion to Dismiss could be heard. This is something that could have easily been stipulated to prior to this day if they would have picked up the telephone and contacted me. In the hallway of the courthouse, their attorney asked me if I "wanted to negotiate a settlement" in this matter. I informed their attorney that my settlement offer was clearly drawn out in my Motion to Dismiss - meaning, I was not planning on giving them one more penny. Their attorney agreed that my Motion papers were strong and that I would be "silly to negotiate" the matter.

Upon returning back to my office today, I received a telephone call from their attorneys regarding the matter. They acknowledged that my Motion to Dismiss was calendared for the following day and that they have spoke with their client (NYP housing). They said that they believe there had been a "mistake" in this matter and was waiting to hear back from NYP housing about discontinuing the cause of action against me with prejudice. This alleged "mistake" comes after NYP housing deposed themselves during the default judgment stage and claimed that they had a meritorious claim. This "mistake" comes after NYP housing was prepared to garnish my wages and seize my bank account. This "mistake" comes after it has already been reported to the credit reporting agencies. This "mistake" comes after goodwill attempts to show them, absent engaging in motion practice, to discontinue the claim. This "mistake" comes after having already taken 3 days off from work to defend this matter. This "mistake" comes on the eve of having this Motion to Dismiss heard by the court. A short while later, I had received a fax from their office with a Stipulation of Discontinuance in the matter. The Stipulation of Discontinuance stipulated to the following things:

1) Defendant's motion to dismiss, scheduled for January 8, 2014, is hereby withdrawn.
2) The above captioned matter, including any and all counterclaims, is hereby discontinued with prejudice.
3) The Plaintiff will provide the Defendant with a vacate of judgment within 30 days of the date of this Stipulation.
4) This is a full and fair settlement of all parties' claims to date.
5) A facsimile of this document shall be deemed an original for all purposes.

Now, keep in that this is not the end to the situation. My that the Motion to Dismiss continues to be calendared for tomorrow morning. NYP housing's attorneys have stated that they would "notify the court" of this stipulation. However, in seeing on how they have already gone forward with a frivolous law suit and attempted to collect on a bogus default judgment against me, I continue to remain highly skeptical of their actions. Easily, I could not show tomorrow morning and they could ask that the judge disregard my Motion to Dismiss. I would then have another battle and more time away from work to file another motion regarding the stipulation. As a result, I am taking another partial day away from work so that I may personally serve upon the court the Stipulation of Discontinuance. In addition, I am needing to wait to receive their vacate of judgment papers so that I can submit copies to all of the credit reporting agencies. There is not promise that this will eliminate their already bogus mark on my credit report.

I am not the only person that this has happened to. A simple inquiry on the New York Unified Court's tracking website shows that they have over 100 claims against their tenants. Does this sound like something that you want to have to deal with during your tenure with NYP or their housing units? Keep in mind, I have only incurred the expense of time because I have a law degree and know how to find my way through the court system. Unfortunately for many, you may be spending both time and money to defend yourself against their frivolous actions. In addition, their apartments are not really that much cheaper than other apartments within the area if you take the time to look around.

In sum, I would HIGHLY caution anybody who is considering moving into NYP housing.

what the **** is going on in this thread

Reactions: 2 users
^sounds pretty awful. I have a soft spot in my heart for grad students that are treated badly by their landlords. No money or time to fight, it's always a lose/lose situation

Uhhh there's a few holes in your story there, buddy. It's true we have a month to month "lease" so you don't have the legal protection of a year lease... But you have 1 month protection. They can't give you 1 week notice and I highly doubt they would. It's not in their best interest. Residents talk... A lot. And it's not just residents that live in the building. It's residents, attendings, nurses, any staff at the hospital has the option really. I'm not saying you are lying, but there is a little truth missing from your story amigo.

I was referring to the guy that necrobumped this with his own TL,DR bullcrap story.