Young and new to the world of research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMB92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently a sophomore undergrad. I decided that I want to study social psychology at a PhD level after graduation. I have an internship next semester at a research facility in the city. I've attempted to get involved in research at my university, which is small. I know that there will be more/better opportunities for this later on in my undergrad, but for right now I'm going to be helping a graduate student (M.A.) with his thesis project. I'll start next week with data entry, running statistics and possibly helping with additional data collection. We plan to present this research at a national conference in the spring. My question is...will this work be able to be put on my CV when I start to compile one? What is the name of my role in his project, if I even have one? Thanks so much, I appreciate any answers or advice as I begin the long journey of applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm currently a sophomore undergrad. I decided that I want to study social psychology at a PhD level after graduation. I have an internship next semester at a research facility in the city. I've attempted to get involved in research at my university, which is small. I know that there will be more/better opportunities for this later on in my undergrad, but for right now I'm going to be helping a graduate student (M.A.) with his thesis project. I'll start next week with data entry, running statistics and possibly helping with additional data collection. We plan to present this research at a national conference in the spring. My question is...will this work be able to be put on my CV when I start to compile one? What is the name of my role in his project, if I even have one? Thanks so much, I appreciate any answers or advice as I begin the long journey of applying!

It's certainly something worth putting on a CV, especially with you wanting to apply to graduate school yourself a bit further down the line. Your title would be "research assistant," and what exactly you list on the CV is going to depend on how the work pans out. If you're officially listed on any presentation/publication, that definitely gets put on the CV. If not, you can still detail the work you did in a section titled something like, "Research Experience" (which is actually something you should include even if you are on a presentation/publication).

Thanks - that definitely answers my question. I'm hoping I can be listed on the presentation, but if not, I'll look for other opportunities in the next two years.