Community rotation preceptor versus retail supervisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aeon343

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to residencies after several months post graduation. Here is my dilemma, I have a letter from a clinical preceptor, one from a faculty member, and my third has been difficult to obtain. I couldn't get another clinical letter but my option is to get one from my preceptor from a community rotation (he was pharmacy manager/PIC) at the retail pharmacy or ask my pharmacy supervisor at the place I work. During my interview for pharmacist, he told me that if I wasn't interested, I would be let go.

If I asked him, I am essentially terminated but I can't afford to be jobless.. What do I do?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to residencies after several months post graduation. Here is my dilemma, I have a letter from a clinical preceptor, one from a faculty member, and my third has been difficult to obtain. I couldn't get another clinical letter but my option is to get one from my preceptor from a community rotation (he was pharmacy manager/PIC) at the retail pharmacy or ask my pharmacy supervisor at the place I work. During my interview for pharmacist, he told me that if I wasn't interested, I would be let go.

If I asked him, I am essentially terminated but I can't afford to be jobless.. What do I do?

Just going off what you wrote

Under no circumstances should you ask the supervisor for a letter. And not because he will terminate you (I would seek legal opinion if he threatened to fire you over asking him for a recommendation letter).

The reason you should NOT ask that person is because I am 99.99% sure that would be just about the worst letter that you could have representing you in pursuit of residency. I can't speak to the preceptor. You do not want a bad letter. If the preceptor will commit to writing a strong letter, that is appropriate.

LIke why is this even a question: you say you don't want to be jobless but that is what would happen if you asked your supervisor. So that really leaves only one solutions buddy....seems kinda simple