Quantcast

Community rotation preceptor versus retail supervisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aeon343

Reaction score
I'm applying to residencies after several months post graduation. Here is my dilemma, I have a letter from a clinical preceptor, one from a faculty member, and my third has been difficult to obtain. I couldn't get another clinical letter but my option is to get one from my preceptor from a community rotation (he was pharmacy manager/PIC) at the retail pharmacy or ask my pharmacy supervisor at the place I work. During my interview for pharmacist, he told me that if I wasn't interested, I would be let go.

If I asked him, I am essentially terminated but I can't afford to be jobless.. What do I do?

lionheart555

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to residencies after several months post graduation. Here is my dilemma, I have a letter from a clinical preceptor, one from a faculty member, and my third has been difficult to obtain. I couldn't get another clinical letter but my option is to get one from my preceptor from a community rotation (he was pharmacy manager/PIC) at the retail pharmacy or ask my pharmacy supervisor at the place I work. During my interview for pharmacist, he told me that if I wasn't interested, I would be let go.

If I asked him, I am essentially terminated but I can't afford to be jobless.. What do I do?

Just going off what you wrote

Under no circumstances should you ask the supervisor for a letter. And not because he will terminate you (I would seek legal opinion if he threatened to fire you over asking him for a recommendation letter).

The reason you should NOT ask that person is because I am 99.99% sure that would be just about the worst letter that you could have representing you in pursuit of residency. I can't speak to the preceptor. You do not want a bad letter. If the preceptor will commit to writing a strong letter, that is appropriate.

callmebrie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
LIke why is this even a question: you say you don't want to be jobless but that is what would happen if you asked your supervisor. So that really leaves only one solutions buddy....seems kinda simple