"Younger" Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told over the weekend by a pre-med advisor that one thing I have working against me, as far as getting into medical school, is my age. I will be 21 when I apply to medical school, meaning I will be 21 when I graduate college. Also...I will be 21 when I enroll in medical school. I know Osteopathic schools regularly look for older/non-traditional students. I was wondering if I could have some insight into this matter. I feel as though I am a mature individual and I am confident that I can show this in an interview. Any "real-life" stories would be great, or just some advice of things I can do to make my age not so much a factor would be appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance.

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a DO school. Two of my closest friends and classmates celebrated their 22nd birthday this year. I would estimate that a third of our class came right out of undergrad and are under the age of 23. The notion that age has any influence on consideration is a complete myth.

I want to mention that the fact that you recognize that you are still a young individual, that you are somewhat concerned about venturing into an institution of great responsibility at your age, commendable. Only a mature individual would have these concerns, fears.
I think you can use this to your advantage in an interview. You might be directly asked about your age, and how you think you will adjust to the intense coursewok. I believe your maturity would be evident in any response.

You might be asked "what quality about yourself do you feel represents the largest obstacle specific to yourself which you will need to overcome if accepted into this institution" Maybe mention your age, followed by a few words that demonstrate maturity.
I was a little short with you last time, without giving much advice. I can tell you of one anecdotal story of a young student in interview. He was 21. He had good grades. Answered all questions he thought pretty well. However, the last Q of the interview concerned physician assisted suicide. THE ANSWER IS NO. You may be asked such ethical questions because you are young, and they want to see if you spent anytime contemplating these issues. be ready for them

Ithink you will be okay. I wish you the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I feel the same as you man. I have interviewed this year and I am 21, but will be 22 on May 4. Although I was accepted to 3 of the 4 D.O. schools that I interviewed at, I still feel that there is prejudice against young people and in particular those who look like they are not "book worms" or nerds. As the last poster said know your issues, take a long time to do some introspection and examine yourself and your world.

I don't see how being young makes you any less likely to be accepted. I never noticed any prejudice either. I'm 23 and I got accepted. Last year I was denied because my app got in to late, not because I was 22 or because some admissions member read the age on my app and thought I was some young punk.

Not to long ago it was an older non-traditional applicant asking the same questions as you. Only he thought HIS age and NON-TRADITIONAL status would put him at a disadvantage to us younger folk.

They're gonna look for a high level of understanding and maturity during your interviews. Afterall, this is an important decision your making and you should understand what your taking on. If you can display that maturity and give well thought out complete answers then it won't matter what age you are.

well I guess that only being 21 did not hurt me that much since I got into 3 of 4 schools. However I still feel that when they look at your age, look at you and see that you have actually seen the world a little and not kissed everyones a$$,and did not sleep with your textbooks, they percieve you as a "young punk", "jock", etc. That is why you have to sit down and prove them wrong.

You kinda sound like a young punk to me. What are you all bent out of shape about?

male menopause, age related discrimination, preconcieved ideas, Elian Gonzalez, the weather, a hang nail, a bird $hit on my car, smart @ss replies like this one and the one before.

Hey everyone-

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the help and look forward to more of your advice on future questions that I will (surely) have!!!!

------------------
Josh Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia
"D.O. Wannabe"

Hey PB,

Talk about punks, didn't I see you in West Side Story or was that a Gap commercial. All you fresh-faced punks look alike.

P.S. stay off our side of town.

rolleyes.gif
Can't we all just get along?

no, we cant get along, this not LA

------------------
Khan

:p Why don't you get a real life Mr. (or Ms.) 97 posts? Why don't you become part of the solution rather than part of the problem?