YOUR "Best Dental Schools"?...Give your opinion.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2thDMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm curious to hear everybody's opinions as to their favorite dental schools (and why, if you're feeling like sharing personal experiences (i.e.: friends and family have gone there so you know at least second-hand about the school)).

Some may want to list their favorites in terms of their 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices, etc.,.....and some of you conspiracy theorists who think that the schools might look you up on this site to see if they are your number one school, you can jumblize your schools and put them in no particular order. Btw, for those in the latter category, I believe that you can be anonymous on this forum (provided your screen name isn't your real name), so discussing your feelings about your favorite schools should be okay.

Keep in mind, I'm not posting this thread to start a flame war between subscribers (i.e.: "How can you say that school ABC is better than XYZ?", or "My school is better than yours"). Far from it. A lot of us have never been to most of these schools, nor do we know anybody in (or alumni of) these schools. So, any information we can collectively cull from other pre-dents throughout the country who may live near the school, or have friends/family who have attended/work at the school, or even current dental students who feel like giving feedback on their school, etc., can help us all make a more well-educated choice as to which schools would best fit us. Remember, we're all looking for the best school(s) for us. Somebody else's Top 10 may be perfect for them, but not for you. But, by discussing why we like the schools we like, we can find out more about schools we'll never see before applying, and in some cases, wouldn't apply to if we didn't find something in this thread that really piqued out interest in the school.

Somebody might say, "I like Stony Brook because their graduating classes do the best on the boards." Or, "I really like UCLA because they have a good Prost program." Mind you, I don't know if either of the above statements are true or not....hence my desire to start this new thread so that we can find out from others which schools are known for what. I've had friends who "went away" to college (not dental school, but college), and they wound up hating it because they went there because of what they had heard/believed about the school (but never checked up on). This is the reason for my post....the more we share and learn, the better choices we can make.

Let me know your thoughts.

2thDMD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I like Ohio State because they let me in and they're cheaper than most other schools for me.

UW is up there for me. Besides the in-state tuition and VERY favorable in-state admissions (sry if youre not from WA ;)) they have an excellent reputation, high specialization rates and its in an awesome city

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF because they have a good reputation nationally and internationally of producing extraordinary dental professionals, lots of research opportunities, strengthen students' clinical skills, and have a good number of students who get into specialty programs. It is in one of the best cities in the whole world as well.

UW is up there for me. Besides the in-state tuition and VERY favorable in-state admissions (sry if youre not from WA ;)) they have an excellent reputation, high specialization rates and its in an awesome city

If you think UW has favorable in-state admissions anymore, you're about to get a serious reality check

My fav school is whichever accepts me.

armor,

According to the 2009 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools,

about 350 washington residents applied to UW, 157ish got an interview ;) and 45 enrolled. I'd say having a 50% chance at an interview is pretty favorable

I guess they're doing better than when I applied then which is a good thing.

Awww armor u have to kick that chip on your shoulder. It was the crimson man...simple as that :p the admissions receptionist probably round filed u when nobody was looking

Hello All,

I'm curious to hear everybody's opinions as to their favorite dental schools (and why, if you're feeling like sharing personal experiences (i.e.: friends and family have gone there so you know first-hand about the school)).

this would be second-hand information...
i stopped reading your post after this.

I heard that Tufts is the best dental school because my dad graduated there and said he was as fast as a Ferrari upon graduation! That's what he said. I'm going there this fallz

Harvard...like achilles said "because everyone always hates on us....j/k..:p:p

lol

Word on the street is that we are doomed to have horrible hands the rest of our lives :D

I really wish this thread was much more informative

I heard about UMD-baltimore having a great state of the art equipments

Temple- good clinical so many patients, same with UOP and Penn.

Penn- Price...