Your Favorite Novel ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc_redd

Peehu
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
only to brighten up the atmosphere :luck:
Hi Guys............
I have started this thread for fun to know who`s fav. novel is what ?
Can anyone tell me few Interesting or "must read " novels,coz i am going on a long trip and I need to entertain myself during that peiod.So guys ,Please ...............

Members don't see this ad.

and my fav. novel is "Nothing lasts forever" by sidney sheldon.......

i like books by erich segal and patricia cornwell the best. :)

just edited this post to add richard bach to the list....bridge across forever is a great book! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
dan brown books: angels and demons&da vinci code.

My favourites,
Gone with the wind & Kane and Abel (all time fav's)..well, you know what it's real tough to narrow things down to one book...so here i am with my list according to the type(fiction/non fiction/biography etc)...i'll add a few more as and when i remember more... :D If everyone isn't bored by then ...he he...

Fiction

Jeffery Archer.."Kane and Abel"
Margaret Mitchell "Gone with the wind"
Erle stanley Gardner "the case of the lucky loser" (mystery)
Sidney Sheldon "Tell me your dreams", "Nothing lasts forever"
Shane hutson "shadows"
R.K.Narayan " the Guide"
Rabindranath Tagore "the Castaway"

Psychology and insight:
Ayn Rand "The fountainhead"
Richard Bach "illusions"

Romantic
Richard bach "The bridge across forever"
Robert James waller "The bridges of Madison county"
Eric Segal -Doctors; Acts of Faith

Biography-
George sullivan- "Helen keller"
James S. Hirsch -Hurricane : the miraculous journey of Rubin Carter

I love poetry (and write a little too :p :eek: :eek: :eek: :p )so in case anyone's interested....i'll suggest a few poets in some other thread
those are a few books from my fav's list....
till next time...have fun...reading... :D

Hi everyone,
I was just thinking whether this kind of threads are necessary in this forum. It doesnt mean i wont read novels are books, but i could only find this kind of threads only in this forum and not in others. I dont know anyone had felt the same, and it is just my opinion and dont mind guys.

Krishhhh

krishhhhh said:
Hi everyone,
I was just thinking whether this kind of threads are necessary in this forum. It doesnt mean i wont read novels are books, but i could only find this kind of threads only in this forum and not in others. I dont know anyone had felt the same, and it is just my opinion and dont mind guys.

Krishhhh

dear krishhhhh,
I don't think anyone would take an offence to what you said (atleast not me ;) ).i understand your concern but doc_redd started this thread only to brighten things up a bit and get in touch with the reader in you...this thread can be moved to the lounge anytime if the moderator thinks so too...
I appreciate your frankness.

and my fav is pride & prejudice....jane austen

one of my recent favorites is:
' A Complete Idiot's Guide to Hinduism' its an awesome and a must-read for anyone interested in knowing about the religion.

KAJALKIRAN said:
one of my recent favorites is:
' A Complete Idiot's Guide to Hinduism' its an awesome and a must-read for anyone interested in knowing about the religion.

hmmmm, I will have to check it out and let my friends that are interested read it, too.

I will have 4 days vacation coming up and no more again until x'mas, so I can read something other than articles, based upon the recommendations here.........:)....

I like your signature, Kajal.

I really enjoyed "Memoirs of a Geisha". It's an excellent book. I also like books by John Grisham. I guess it all depends on what you are in the mood to read.
Good luck!

krishhhhh said:
Hi everyone,

Krishhhh
U r absolutely funny man ................ :laugh:
if somebody else had told this may be i would have felt bad.
anyways, i saw a thread similar to this in some forum ,but i can`t remember where exactly...........

i too thought twice before starting this thread ,but then i thought this might indirectly help people who want to improve their language .It is very difficult to pick interesting novels from the vast ocean .So it would be easier for starters like me to pick good novels and keep the hobby going . The more u read , better the english, and better english improves ur communication skills which is very crucial for us to convince patients.
Hence please do let us know whats ur fav novel ........
Thank you.......

well....................i love .............a long list....
1.kane and abel..............JA
2.mirror in the stranger.....sidney sheldon
3.alchemist.....................paulo coelho
4.eleven minutes..............same
5.GOD OF SMALL THINGS .......ARUNDHATI ROY......A MUST READ...
6.a house for MR biswas............v.s. naipaul
7Adrian mole.....diary.............sue townsend
8.jonathan livingston seagull......richard bach
9.bridge across forever.............same
10.love is a four letter wold
11.lessons for a sunday father
12.acts of faith........erich segal
13.atlas shrugged.......ayn rand
14.we the living.........same
.and yes..........PROPHET BY KAHLIL GBRAN is my BIBLE......

Members don't see this ad :)
The Fountainhead by the one and only Ayn Rand......It was the only novel that I could literally not put down once I started it.....its a different matter that I could not fathom a word in all the lectures next day at dental school...its a MUST read....

Slightly close to our field is Final Diagnosis.....lots to learn from that one too.....

The Runaway Jury,A Time to Kill and The Firm are good ones from my all time favourite John Grisham.

Happy Reading!

P.s.AB Vajpayee,LK Advani and co will love to have Kajalkiran on their team!

hey u want humour thn go for P.g wodehouse and gerome.k.Gerome- three men in a boat.
fredrick forsyth, arther hailey ....r my favs

ficiton
The Stallion- Harold Robbins
Abduction- Robin Cook

non fiction
Why Men don't listen and why women can't read maps- Allan and Barbara Pease
Men are from mars and women are from venus- John Gray
Truth, Love and a little malice- Khushwant singh :smuggrin:

hi guys
i like this one "matter of honor " jeffery archer ...aslo there is this other book "you can win " by shiv khera ....right now iam redaing a book called "rich dad poor dad"

gpg said:
P.s.AB Vajpayee,LK Advani and co will love to have Kajalkiran on their team!

:laugh: :laugh:
No offense kajal, I really thought that was funny...........with all the elections stuff going on back home.... :laugh:

doc_redd said:
....Can anyone tell me few Interesting or "must read " novels,coz i am going on a long trip and I need to entertain myself during that peiod.So guys ,Please ...............

I don't know where you're from or what you beleive in, but this is a great book: "The gospel according to Jesus Christ" by Jos? Saramago. The author is a communist and an atheist, so you can figure what to expect........

I love books and I love reading!! Radio and television are said to be the most far-reaching vehicles of communication. But for me, the written word speaks a language of its own. They say a picture speaks a thousand words, but I say a word sets off a thousand pictures.I'm a big fan of some Indian authors.
Some of my all time favourites :)
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
The Inscrutable Americans by Anurag Mathur
Grandmother's Tale by R. K. Narayan
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
To Killing Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
The Man Eater of Malgudi by R.K. Narayan
Who moved my cheese by Dr Spencer Johnson
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
Boy - Tales of Childhood by Roald Dahl
A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh
Anne Franks Diary
Memoirs of a Geisha
My Own Country by Dr Abraham Verghese

I could go on forever but shall stop :)

kpat said:
:laugh: :laugh:
No offense kajal, I really thought that was funny...........with all the elections stuff going on back home.... :laugh:
naa you are fine! but do you really think your country needs another foreigner to compete with the issue when sonia gandhy exists?
ps: the ANC wouldn't be too proud either to lose a potential leader to India ;)

mrinalini said:
The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger

:eek: Oh my god. I totally forgot about that one. It's a greeaatt book. I had to read in high school. I just loved it. :love:

:) :) :)

I like Sidney Shelton books. they are very interesting from the beginning.I love "The Doomsday Conspiracy" "Nothing Lasts Forever","Bloodline",Try Robin Cook's "Coma", "Fever" and "Brain" too.It's sort of slow initially but as it goes you wont keep it down.

I like novels by Robin Cook,Sidney sheldon,Erich segal
My all time favorite inspirational is Jonathan livingston seagull by Richard bach

does anyone enjoy reading horror books??just curious....my brother is a big fan of reading horror

KAJALKIRAN said:
naa you are fine! but do you really think your country needs another foreigner to compete with the issue when sonia gandhy exists?
ps: the ANC wouldn't be too proud either to lose a potential leader to India ;)

Well, there are bigger issues than Sonia Gandhi.......anyways, don't wanna get into political issues.......members here might take things the wrong way.
I am sure ANC would like keep a potential leader within the country....;)

meggs said:
I don't know where you're from or what you beleive in, but this is a great book: "The gospel according to Jesus Christ" by Jos? Saramago. The author is a communist and an atheist, so you can figure what to expect........
i made a a very diligent search,unfortunately i couldent find it,may be cause iam living in a conservative area :).

Atlas shrugged by Ayn Rand and I LOVE John Galt :love: :love:

toothlord said:
i made a a very diligent search,unfortunately i couldent find it,may be cause iam living in a conservative area :).

Or maybe is a culturally challenged area! :D. Disclaimer: I don't know where Toothlord lives.

Try amazon.com or barnes and nobles.com. Maybe if B&N have it online, they might be willing to send it to your local store, so you can get it there. :confused:

btw, the author is Portuguese, so the original book is in that language, not in Spanish.

Othello... the greatest of all time.