Your Favorite Residency Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MtnDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so now that many of us have interviewed at several different places- what's eveyone's scoop on things? Have you picked out a place yet??? Though I got a little application happy and applied to WAY too many places, I have decided to stick to the Southeast (home!).

Here's my fave's:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am applying to hospitals in the Pittsburgh area, and so far my favorite has been UPMC St. Margaret. It is an unopposed program, so I would get a ton of experience. I also would like to do a lot of peds when I am an FP, and St. Margaret does all of their peds rotations at Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh (since they are both UPMC affiliates). Everyone was great that I met during the interview day and I feel like I would fit in there and get a great education.

Now I hope they rank me! I'm ranking through the DO match, so that is in February...two and a half more months to go!!!

Like MtnDoc, I am primarily looking at community-based programs in the South East. I have had 6 interviews so far, and while I really liked several of the programs (there were a couple duds of course), the one that has stuck out the most in my mind is McLeod Family Medicine in Florence, SC.

WOW! The program is incredible all-around!! I met several of the faculty and residents during my interview. Residents and faculty really get along great with each other, and the residents spend a lot of time together outside of the hospital/office. One of the faculty members is big into missions work, while another I met is a procedure guru (I'm told that residents easily get over 100 each of colonoscopies and EDGs by graduation if they want). The hospital, which is beautiful, is one of the regional medical centers in the state; that, in my mind, gives it a huge advantage over the other SC community programs (especially in peds) because they tend to get patients transferred in who are interesting rather having to send a lot of the complex patients (especially peds patients) to larger hospitals. For example, McLeod has the state's largest NICU. The clinic is completely electronic, and residents are given mini-laptops. They even have access from home, so they can check on patients or finish up notes from there. Resident call is complex but I know that it's worked out so everyone gets 2 weekends completely off a month, and 7ish seems to be about the earliest rotation start time. Residents seem to be busy, but not overworked. Everyone I met was very enthusiastic about the program. Florence is a surprisingly nice town that's close to just about everything. There is so much more I could write, but I have to go and study for my Step 2! If you have this program on your interview list, I can't imagine you'd be disappointed. If not, you're probably missing out on a gem. Right now, it's far-and-away my top choice!

Anderson and Greenwood were the other South Carolina schools that I've interviewed at. Both are also good programs. Greenwood isn't my top choice though because it's a bit too secluded geographically; nothing personal about the program or people. As for Anderson, I didn't feel I'd fit-in as well personally with the residents as I did at some of the other programs, although I liked all the faculty a lot. The other program I really enjoyed was in Daytona Florida (Halifax), but I'm not yet sold on the city as somewhere I see myself living. And there were 2 others (one in GA, one in FL) that I won't be ranking. I have 3 interviews left, and I'm sure I'll do a few second looks, but I'm gonna have to be overwhelmed not to pick McLeod.

MtnDoc, I'm not sure how far from GA you're looking, but as you're close to McLeod, it'd be worth a look if it's not to late to apply; you don't have much to lose if you don't like it. No one program is perfect for everyone though, but I hope this lends some insight into why I liked certain programs. Best of luck to everyone else going through this now! I hope you find your perfect match!

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a lifelong resident of the fine Palmetto State - I just wanted to throw in my 200pesos re: these two towns.

Spartanburg is a nice city, close to alot of things - the mountains, the ocean, Charlotte. Not a ton to do in town; but a very pleasant and affordable plavce to live. The hospital is relatively new, and the system is stable and expanding. The FP residents do not have to compete with other residents for patients or procedures- which I think is a definate plus for FP education.

Greenwood is a great little town. Again close to the mountain, and the ocean- with easy access to the interstate (they are building a new highway to Atlanta currently). Not a cultural mecca, but has the prerequisites of a WalMart, MovieTheater and Applebees (hey you should be reading when you're not in the hospital anyway. Beautiful area. Very nice- stable and expanding hospital. Again the residents interact directly with the attendings- no other services to muck things up...

PM with questions.

I'd be careful about Greenwood. I had a friend who left the program for Spartanburg. I think the training was OK, but he was quite dissatisfied with the administration/leadership of the program.

Pilot Doc said:
I'd be careful about Greenwood. I had a friend who left the program for Spartanburg. I think the training was OK, but he was quite dissatisfied with the administration/leadership of the program.

As a 2nd year resident at Greenwood, I can assure you that noone has left this program for Spartanburg. One left Spartanburg's surgical program to come to Greenwood ~3 years ago. He has since graduated from our program. Spartanburg has a great program and I would highly recommend it. I just want to make sure that the students relying upon this website have all the facts to allow them to make a decision.

Pilot Doc said:

Please be careful about what "facts" you post on this website. I am a second year resident in Greenwood and there has not been any resident leave this program since I've been here. And, as far back as anybody here can remember, we've never had a resident leave and go to Spartanburg. We did, however, have a resident join our program after leaving Spartanburg.

Regarding OB in Greenwood, our program has been actively working to expand our opportunities, not to discourage residents from doing OB. We now work closely with several OBs in town, which has increased our numbers of deliveries considerably. And while we don't have an OB fellowship, we do have two recent grads doing OB fellowships this year--one of them is the Fellow at Spartanburg.

As for finding your right match, you really do need to find the program with the "personality" that fits for you. Every program has it's own flavor, and it's important to find out where you'd fit in best. Some important considerations, however, are how happy the residents are, especially the interns. Chances are that's who you'll be spending most of your time with, and if they aren't a happy group you should be concerned. You should also be concerned if you don't get to meet many interns when you interview. You also want to know how the current interns are doing as physicians-in-training. If they are having trouble with the work, that could adversely affect you next year.

Happy interviewing!

Just a quick correction to be posted here....

I'm a resident at Greenwood, SC, and, historically, there has NEVER been a resident who has left our program and transferred to Spartanburg.

However, there was a resident who just graduated from our program last year who initially began as a Surgery intern in Spartanburg who then decided that FM was his calling. He transferred into the FM program at Spartanburg; however, he was not happy there and then transferred into our program here in Greenwood, SC! He was very happy with his choice and is now happily practicing in the Atlanta area.

Also, just a little bit more information about the postings here about Greenwood:

1) I certainly agree that it's a great little town. I'm from a small town in TN, and, in my mind, Greenwood has all you need and more. It's a small town (20,000 or so- that's not really small where I come from) atmosphere with great people who care about you as a person, and it has every amenity you need for daily living. Geographically, it's in a great location, because if you desire "big city," you're less than one hour away from Spartanburg, Greenville, or Augusta, GA, and less than 3 hours away from the metropolis of Atlanta, GA!

2) We also are a regional hospital with a home base referral area of app 200,000... complete with our own NICU, CCU, etc. In order to update our hospital, we are currently building a new patient tower (9 story) that will house app 400 beds and will be completed in the spring 2006. Add to it our 25,000 square foot clinic that's less than three years old, complete with X-ray, lab, and procedure rooms, and we've got great facilities that are only getting better!

3) As far as procedures, I believe that we, as an unopposed program, offer many opportunities. I'm six months into my intern year, and have app 15 deliveries after only one month of OB (I have three more scheduled, still have all my continuity pts to deliver, will also take OB call while on Peds, and can choose through our OB Track to do two more months of OB if I choose). I also am more than halfway to being privileged to insert central lines after only six months. In addition, we have the opportunity to moonlight in Abbeville, SC (15 minutes away) where we are the only doc in the hospital at night, working in the ER. There, we do any procedure that walks in the door....

4) I'm certainly not bashing Spartanburg or Florence... they are both great programs. I just feel as if I fit in the best at Greenwood, and every resident is amazing. I've had plenty of opportunities in OB, Sports Medicine (just got back from covering the state championship football games in Columbia on Saturday), etc. We have a great time together both in and out of the hospital.... both residents and attendings. Add our international medicine efforts into the mix, and we have a program that I think is on par with any in the nation!

Check us out at greenwoodfp.org !

I’m the only person I know of who has changed between Spartanburg and Greenwood. But I took a position at Greenwood after leaving Spartanburg. Greenwood’s training, administration/leadership and staff are all excellent. Greenwood FP Residency Program prepared me well for private practice outside of Atlanta. Several of the attendings remain my close friends and I still call them for advice after graduation. Even the private attendings from the hospital and community take pride in teaching the residents. Both the faculty and residents are highly respected by the hospital staff and the Greenwood community. Greenwood is a great choice if you want to become a good doctor, and be treated like one.

I have nothing derogatory to say about other programs. But please email me if you want to know more about the first class hospital, faculty, staff and residents in Greenwood.

I stand corrected. It was GreenVILLE, not GreenWOOD.

(By the way - rather impressive mobilization of the Greenwood residents to join SDN and sing its praises.)

All Of These Are Unopposed West Coast Programs With Good Ob:
Ventura County
Conta Costa County
Natividad/monterey County
Ohsu/klakamas Rural Track
Providence Milwuakie(portland.or)
Spokane/uw Rural Track

Last edited:
Pilot Doc said:

I too am a resident at Greenwood Family practice, currently a third year. I have seen the retraction so there is no need to belabor that point.

However, I would like for the readers to get to know Greenwood. During my interviews, I had a program set in mind where I was going-- only to be quickly changed when I interviewed here at Greenwood. We interact both professionally and socially with our resident and attendings, there are supper clubs, game nights, bowling, and various other parties and social events. We are a family friendly program, and have single's as well (who are also a part of a family). Some of the nurses we have in our clinics have been here since the start of the progam 20 or more years ago-- it takes satisfaction and love of your job to stay such a long time. I believe we have the most charismatic residency coordinator around, and this is a reflection of all of us and our atmosphere here at our program.

We are all leaders here. We consistently match with top quality residents form as close to home as ninety-six to as far away as Alaska and Kenya. Among the residents we have 5 AOA members. A second year resident was recently appointed by the AAFP Board of Directors to be the resident representative to the Commission on Legislation and Governmental Affairs. In Addition we have a previous regional coordinator for the family practice interest group and both of the previous National Coordinators for the family practice interest group for the past two years (current coordinator obviously not included as she still holds her position). We also have a previous student delegate to the AAFP, and AAFP delegate to the AMA. In Addition, one resident has just completed her arm of the GOT (Glycemia Optimization Trial) -- a research study to determine safety of lantus insulin with specified oral diabetic agents. In addition our faculty was also involved in the published HART trial that many of you may be aware of. We have a resident from Kenya who there for many years. Through his board certification here, was a practicing physician there for many years. He plans to return to his home country and establish a family medicine residency where none exists. Oh, and by the way we have an incredible pass rate on the AAFP board exams, two recent graduates scoring in the 98 and 99 th percentile.

I could go on and on. I also echo the responsed from other residents that have been posted from my program. We do quite a few procedures including central line placements, minor surgical procedures such as skin lesion removals, some attendings also perform naospharyngoscopy, sigmoidoscopy and vascectomy. We have a wealth of experience available to us through our attendings that they are always willing to share. I also echo the OB concern that was expressed-- we serve a large population of surrounding counties as well as involvement with local privat OB/GYN physicians and we are proud of our two residents that are currently in their OB fellowships. One more brief point is our emphasis on international medicine, we have a Travel Clinic ( the only one in the area) and support international misssions across the globe through VIMM.

Thank you for reading. I'm sure it seems long winded but i am proud to be a part of what I think is the best program in South Carolina. I will graduate soon and go on to practice in a rural setting and feel well prepared to do so.

Get to Know Greenwood.

C'mon, am I the only Northerner on SDN applying for FP? ;)

Hi, I'm a first year resident in Spartanburg's Family Medicine residency program. Like my Greenwood colleagues have stated above, both Greenwood and Spartanburg are excellent programs.

Originally Posted by Pilot Doc

I too have seen the retraction but would like to belabor that point just a little. To my knowledge there has never been a resident leave Greenwood's program to come to Spartanburg's program. Our current OB Fellow completed his residency at Greenwood BEFORE coming to Spartanburg to do his OB fellowship. No one has ever up-and-left Greenwood in the MIDDLE of residency to come to SRHS. Greenwood is an awesome program!!!

There was, however, a resident who left Greenville's program after his intern year and completed his FM residency at Spartanburg. He graduated residency in 2004 and is now in a successful private practice in Boiling Springs, South Carolina.

I, along with any resident or attending in South Carolina, would strongly encourage medical students to take a look at ALL of the FM programs in South Carolina. What you read on discussion boards and hear by word-of-mouth about programs is not always true because programs are constantly changing. I would suggest trying not to assume anything negative about a program until you've seen the program for yourself.

If I might be of assistance to you, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] Of course, you can always visit the websites listed below to find more information on individual FM programs or to find out how to contact the residents, faculty and directors of those programs.

Anderson Program
Anderson Area Medical Center Program located in Anderson, SC

Anderson's Rural Program
Anderson Area Medical Center Rural Program located in Seneca Lakes, SC

Trident Program
Trident Medical Center/Medical University of South Carolina Program located in Charleston, SC

Palmetto Program
Palmetto Health/University of South Carolina School of Medicine Program located in Columbia, SC

McLeod Program
McLeod Regional Medical Center Program located in Florence, SC

Greenville Program
Greenville Hospital System Program located in Greenville, SC

Greenwood Program
Self Regional Healthcare/Greenwood Family Practice Program located in Greenwood, SC

Spartanburg Program
Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System Family Practice Residency Program located in Spartanburg, SC