Your Interactions w/ ******* Medical Secretaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Some newer physicians need help from the pharmacist, however most older ones know their stuff and don't really need much help. Some physicians need help from pharmacists and some do not. Just like some people need help with physics and some do not. etc. No big deal.

Not necessarily. Older physicians may have more knowledge in their specialty, but be far more dated on other areas. Newer physicians tend to have a more current base of knowledge in a wider area, but don't necessarily have the experience yet. Pharmacists can be a great help to both.

Members don't see this ad.

My turn to play devils advocate:
What if all medications had to go through the general practitioner. So if the patient sees their cardiologist, the cardiologist sends the diagnosis with the prescription to the primary care practitioner and they add it to the other medications the patient is on, and input all the drugs into the computer and check for interactions. If doesn't check out then they discuss the problem with the cardiologist to find another medication. They could just tack on an extra year to General Practice that focuses on medication therapy.

In a hospital this function can be performed by the hospitalist. Now there isn't as much need for the pharmacist in the dispensing function so pharmacist just have to check the medications to make sure it's the right one. They could even just train pharmacy technicians better and have them do that. (hell there is software to help with that too). It would save a lot of money for pharmacies as they wouldn't have to hire a pharmacist. :laugh:

Now I'd like to see everyone pick this apart as objectively as possible. From the perspective of corporate in a pharmacy chain as well as physicians who would no longer have to deal with the pesky pharmacist, it would be one of their own discussing this stuff with them.

Last edited:
What if all medications had to go through the general practitioner. So if the patient sees their cardiologist, the cardiologist sends the diagnosis with the prescription to the primary care practitioner and they add it to the other medications the patient is on, and input all the drugs into the computer and check for interactions. If doesn't check out then they discuss the problem with the cardiologist to find another medication. They could just tack on an extra year to General Practice that focuses on medication therapy.

In a hospital this function can be performed by the hospitalist. Now there isn't as much need for the pharmacist in the dispensing function so pharmacist just have to check the medications to make sure it's the right one. They could even just train pharmacy technicians better and have them do that. (hell there is software to help with that too). It would save a lot of money for pharmacies as they wouldn't have to hire a pharmacist. :laugh:

Now I'd like to see everyone pick this apart as objectively as possible. From the perspective of corporate in a pharmacy chain as well as physicians who would no longer have to deal with the pesky pharmacist, it would be one of their own discussing this stuff with them.

as the devils advocate you suck
there is a difference between drug interactions and clinically relevant drug interactions. You need to know when the drug is worth the risk of the interaction, how rare the interaction is, if the interaction is theoretical and you need to understand alternate therapies and the problems that may occur along with that.

and that is why there are laws in place that require pharmacy, thats why JCAHO and other bodies recognize the importance of pharmacies. Any drug software you can buy can tell you what its used for and what to expect. It takes someone that understands the theoretical, clinical, economical, and physiological effect of using one drug versus another. No pharmacy tech will ever understand it and it takes years for doctors to catch on if they are truly interested in learning it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prescribing and diagnosing are NOT the same. Pharmacists are not qualified to diagnose, they ARE qualified to prescribe. Physicians often ask pharmacists for advice on prescriptions. Game, set, match. Thanks for playing.

Exactly, and idea that I've been tossing around is, when a patient goes to see a doctor, the doctor gives them a prescription with a diagnosis on it. Patient takes that to the pharmacy and the pharmacist selects the treatment. Also, the patient's medical reports should always be kept on file at the pharmacy as well.

Wow, you pharmacy students sure have a lot of confidence in your education. So what happens when one of us screws up, just like one of those ******* medical secretaries? You don't think the med student/physician board will have a thread EXACTLY like this about us? Or do you really think we're so knowledgeable about drugs that none of us will ever make a mistake when we start prescribing?

Wow, you pharmacy students sure have a lot of confidence in your education. So what happens when one of us screws up, just like one of those ******* medical secretaries? You don't think the med student/physician board will have a thread EXACTLY like this about us? Or do you really think we're so knowledgeable about drugs that none of us will ever make a mistake when we start prescribing?

You act like it's only a few isolated events of poor prescriptions, just look at reports/articles on medical mistakes. The fact is that there are studies proving that having a pharmacist on board makes a difference. It's not like we are saying we will never make mistakes. We are just saying we will be better trained so we are less likely to make mistakes.
Would you go to a cardiologist to help you deal with a dermatology problem? Cardiologists probably had some courses on dermatology, and they may have an idea what is going on, but are they the BEST people to diagnose a skin disease? Are they better than a dermatologist who is specialized in skin diseases? I would hope that answer to this is obvious. So why is it that we are asking people who are specialized in dignoises to perform medication therapy when there are other professionals who are specialized in that area.

Ok, I'll concede your point. I just hope you guys realize the MD/DO's will be waiting eagerly for us to screw up. And the second you do slip up, they will be ready to pounce. Also, there are so many subpar pharmacy school opening up these days, you may want to consider that...Even though you may feel that you and your classmates will better at prescribing than physicians, other PharmD's may not necessarily be as well trained.

as the devils advocate you suck
I'd like to think that pharmacist could defend against the claims I made. I don't believe them to be true, I just need someone to provide concrete counter-arguments that were acceptable to people who don't have any stake in the future of pharmacists. Like Walgreens corporate who are already actively trying to reduce the need for pharmacists.
I already have some arguments against this, but I am not that satisfied with them.

there is a difference between drug interactions and clinically relevant drug interactions. You need to know when the drug is worth the risk of the interaction, how rare the interaction is, if the interaction is theoretical and you need to understand alternate therapies and the problems that may occur along with that.

Wouldn't physicians also know a lot of this stuff. They have been making these decisions thus far. Wouldn't having the primary care physician take an extra year of school to hone these skills make him as good as pharmacists in this. After all, they are actively making these decisions now.

and that is why there are laws in place that require pharmacy, thats why JCAHO and other bodies recognize the importance of pharmacies. Any drug software you can buy can tell you what its used for and what to expect. It takes someone that understands the theoretical, clinical, economical, and physiological effect of using one drug versus another. No pharmacy tech will ever understand it and it takes years for doctors to catch on if they are truly interested in learning it.

Laws have been wrong before.

Ok, I'll concede your point. I just hope you guys realize the MD/DO's will be waiting eagerly for us to screw up. And the second you do slip up, they will be ready to pounce. Also, there are so many subpar pharmacy school opening up these days, you may want to consider that...Even though you may feel that you and your classmates will better at prescribing than physicians, other PharmD's may not necessarily be as well trained.

Good point. There should be a test for prescribers, pharmacist or not. At the very least they will need to add one of those to the boards.

I'd like to think that pharmacist could defend against the claims I made. I don't believe them to be true, I just need someone to provide concrete counter-arguments that were acceptable to people who don't have any stake in the future of pharmacists. Like Walgreens corporate who are already actively trying to reduce the need for pharmacists.
I already have some arguments against this, but I am not that satisfied with them.
you are missing the point, these aren't just opinions of pharmacists but opinions on governing bodies that say you have to have a pharmacy making interventions. You have laws that say that you have to have a medication checked and verfied by a pharmacist. There are court cases and legal documents that support this assertion. Pharmacy will not be minimized.

Wouldn't physicians also know a lot of this stuff. They have been making these decisions thus far. Wouldn't having the primary care physician take an extra year of school to hone these skills make him as good as pharmacists in this. After all, they are actively making these decisions now.
you would think that physicians would know this stuff. But they don't. They have been making decisions but as medicine gets more specialized, the more doctors slot themselves in knowing the drugs of their specialty. You are going to be hard pressed to find an oncologist who specializes in leukemias who knows how to effectively and efficiently treat rheumatoid arthritis. Yet these people come into my hospital and you cant just ignore those medications, you cannot ignore those problems.

primary care physicians are the low man on the totem pole, they are even worse out. They typically are the med students with the lowest grades in school who got into lesser competitive residencies. They also need to know and consider every disease under the sun! There specialty is so broad that it becomes impossible to fine tune a patients medications.If you work in a community setting, this will become more clear as u get to know your patients. Some things they do will make u scratch you head.

primary care physicians are the low man on the totem pole, they are even worse out. They typically are the med students with the lowest grades in school who got into lesser competitive residencies. They also need to know and consider every disease under the sun! There specialty is so broad that it becomes impossible to fine tune a patients medications.If you work in a community setting, this will become more clear as u get to know your patients. Some things they do will make u scratch you head.

I agree, but you know, just because it's the least competitive doesn't mean only the least qualified applicants choose it. Some people actually chose to do primary care because it's something they like :eek: . It's only a matter of time before some med student/physician comes in here all pissed off at what you just said. At least you were willing to acknowledge the challenge of diagnosing and treating all diseases instead of just one area of specialization though.

you are missing the point, these aren't just opinions of pharmacists but opinions on governing bodies that say you have to have a pharmacy making interventions. You have laws that say that you have to have a medication checked and verfied by a pharmacist. There are court cases and legal documents that support this assertion. Pharmacy will not be minimized.

you would think that physicians would know this stuff. But they don't. They have been making decisions but as medicine gets more specialized, the more doctors slot themselves in knowing the drugs of their specialty. You are going to be hard pressed to find an oncologist who specializes in leukemias who knows how to effectively and efficiently treat rheumatoid arthritis. Yet these people come into my hospital and you cant just ignore those medications, you cannot ignore those problems.

Rxcellant (ok that was a typo, but I'm leaving it cause it's epic. the R should have been an E) answer.

A lot of people aren't going to like this, especially those afraid of Big Brother. But in my opinion, if I'm at the pharmacy, I should be able to punch in your social security number and be able to see your life's medical history.

It's not like you can't find out who is looking at the records. Most systems I've heard of let you find out who has looked at a particular record etc. So you can track that. Looking at someone's record without authorization is a HIPPA violation and carries serious consequences. If we follow the model of the VA and maybe improve upon it, it would be great. (Part of the reform bill seems to be exactly that).

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, from a pharmacy student, I expected better. IMO, this is just as bad as saying that the typical pharmacy student could not get into medical school, or the typical DO student could not get into MD school.

This would not work. Primary care physicians are already swamped as it is. Two of the reasons less people are choosing to become primary care physicians is overwork and undercompensation. Yet what you propose entails giving PCP's even more work. Who will pay for this medication management? Or do you expect them to provide this service for free?

You assume that replacing the job of a pharmacist entails training techs and having a computer check for interactions. So why do we even need pharmacists at this time, when computers exist which can be programmed, as do techs which can be trained for a fraction of the cost? I will not answer this, as I assume that you, as a pharmacy student, can think of at least one reason why the job you are being trained for is so important that it cannot be replaced by a computer and a tech with less training. However, you are proposing that pharmacists should be replaced with physicians (!), adding to their already long 7-10 year training, which would, if you think this through, reduce the number of physicians and increase the already high cost of healthcare. At a time when your country is vigorously debating healthcare reform, I doubt this idea would be welcome.

A lot of people aren't going to like this, especially those afraid of Big Brother. But in my opinion, if I'm at the pharmacy, I should be able to punch in your social security number and be able to see your life's medical history.

This is the truth, but too many in this country wear tinfoil hats.

Plus, if every doctor, dentist, and every other health care provider with prescriptive authority was required to jack into this database, sales of narcotics would tank.

I don't think Purdue would stand for this, because they care so much about patient privacy, right?

This would not work. Primary care physicians are already swamped as it is. Two of the reasons less people are choosing to become primary care physicians is overwork and undercompensation. Yet what you propose entails giving PCP's even more work. Who will pay for this medication management? Or do you expect them to provide this service for free?

You assume that replacing the job of a pharmacist entails training techs and having a computer check for interactions. So why do we even need pharmacists at this time, when computers exist which can be programmed, as do techs which can be trained for a fraction of the cost? I will not answer this, as I assume that you, as a pharmacy student, can think of at least one reason why the job you are being trained for is so important that it cannot be replaced by a computer and a tech with less training. However, you are proposing that pharmacists should be replaced with physicians (!), adding to their already long 7-10 year training, which would, if you think this through, reduce the number of physicians and increase the already high cost of healthcare. At a time when your country is vigorously debating healthcare reform, I doubt this idea would be welcome.

Well the idea was the there would already be two people checking the interactions, that is not available at this time so pharmacists could be replaced at this time.

This argument was not based off of a pharmacist or health care practioners view point. I am trying to think using the mind of a bussniess person who wants to reduce the need for pharmacists. The idea here would be to decrease the number of health care practitioners (read:complexity) plus the time it takes to dispense medication so people can get them via drive through.

This is a horrible plan. However from Walgreens corporate it might be great. Less pharmacists to hire, lower costs of labor which is why I wanted to hear arguments from the perspective of other people.

As for the deficit in pcp. That is (as we pharmacy students are finding) a temporary thing. Just open up more DO schools and only increase the available PCP residencies while holding other positions the same.

As for the deficit in pcp. That is (as we pharmacy students are finding) a temporary thing. Just open up more DO schools and only increase the available PCP residencies while holding other positions the same.

You clearly are out of your knowledge base. DO schools are not some magic primary care factory. People choose to enter other specialties as well. And for increasing primary case residencies? The number of residency spots has not increased since the 80's.

You clearly are out of your knowledge base. DO schools are not some magic primary care factory. People choose to enter other specialties as well. And for increasing primary case residencies? The number of residency spots has not increased since the 80's.

It would be very hard (if not impossible) for a DO to get into any competitive residencies. Most competitive residencies like surgery, derm, radiology etc. want TOP MD STUDENTS. I don't think I know of any plastic surgeons or dermatologists that are DO(s). You will be hard pressed to find anyone that will allow a DO to perform plastic surgery on them. LOL...

Last edited:
It would be very hard (if not impossible) for a DO to get into any competitive residencies. Most competitive residencies like surgery, derm, radiology etc. want TOP MD STUDENTS. I don't think I know of any plastic surgeons or dermatologists that are DO(s). You will be hard pressed to find anyone that will allow a DO to perform plastic surgery on them. LOL...

I've heard of one - his name is Will Kirby. You might have heard of him, too.

How many people do you think want the guy who rings up his condoms at CVS prescribing his "heart medication"? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

How many people do you think want the guy who rings up his condoms at CVS prescribing his "heart medication"? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I am stating a simple fact. Most DO(s), if not all DO(s) will be primary physicans. I am not saying there is anything right or wrong about that FACT. Its how it works. If you want to become a plastic surgeon, it will be to your advantage to be a MD instead. Am I lying here? I think not. :laugh: As for pharmacy yeah retail is very ghetto, and you can belittle it all you want. It won't offend me b/c I have no interest in retail and will never do it.

"You will be hard pressed to find anyone that will allow a DO to perform plastic surgery on them. LOL... "

So, the above was a fact that wasn't belittling to DO's?

I am stating a simple fact. Most DO(s), if not all DO(s) will be primary physicans.

Funny enough, so do most MD's:

http://www.nrmp.org/data/resultsanddata2009.pdf

untitled.jpg

Another notable - three specialties considered moderately competitive - anesthesia, emergency medicine, and ob/gyn - DO's matched into those specialties as well. In fact, those specialties are among the ones DO's matched into *the most*.

I won't argue with you that there are few DO derms or plastic surgeons. DO's represent less than 5% of the total US physician population, so our numbers are underrepresented in quite a few specialties.

But the FACT, as you like to erroneously like to throw around, that you failed to mention the ROAD specialties, nor mention neurosurgery or ENT as the tippy top of the competitive scale, but mentioned surgery and derm in the same sentence shows you have little idea what's really competitive, and what's merely more competitive to get than, say, internal medicine.

Stick with things you know. Please.

You clearly are out of your knowledge base. DO schools are not some magic primary care factory. People choose to enter other specialties as well.
I'm not saying that DOs only go to Primary Care. I said they need to increase DO schools. If I said MD schools would you have posted? It is true that there is a slant for DOs to go to primary care. I personally thought that was because it was what DO schools pushed for/trained their students for. Certainly DOs can try for other residencies and I'm sure DOs would make excellent Dermatologist as well. In any case PCP is not an insult. They are a very important part of the system.

And for increasing primary case residencies? The number of residency spots has not increased since the 80's.
Thanks for the information. I did say that they shouldn't increase residency for anything BUT primary care. The idea was that they were going to open up more Medical schools, thus increasing the load on residencies. This might lead some to try and make more residency positions available for everything, when we really need more PCPs. Get it? That little add-on was because I knew people might consider going in to other areas from DO schools but we wanted people to consider PCP more.

Using DO schools as a way to get the BEST eduction for Primary Care Physicians is not that outrageous as the schools seem to strive to produce excellent pcps.
Some more information:
Code:
The Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) is a professional degree 
which requires four years of professional study. 
Our innovative curriculum is designed to fulfill our mission of 
training primary care physicians
from this site.

And this:
Code:
The osteopathic medical profession has a 
proud heritage of producing primary care practitioners. 
In fact, the mission statements of the majority of 
osteopathic medical schools state plainly that their 
purpose is the production of primary care physicians. 
Osteopathic medical tradition preaches 
that a strong foundation in primary care makes one a better physician,
regardless of what specialty they may eventually practice.
from this site.

What was that about knowledge bases?

Thanks for taking the bait, you along with Miami and FSU have made this a better day. :laugh:

p-rog, are you kidding?

If you aren't then I'd like you to explain how ringing up condoms makes you suddenly less qualified as a pharmacist, or in pharmaceutical knowledge. Having said that I've met people who let their friends "prescribe" medication for them. "Oh you have a stomachache, here is some aspirin. Every time my head hurts I take one and it makes me feel better." Friend recommendations will sometimes be followed more than a prescription from a qualified professional.
So if a pharmacist ringing up peoples condoms gives them an opportunity to talk to patients and develop a good relationship with them, so that when they do make a qualified recommendation the patient is more likely to follow it, then so be it.

I'm not saying that DOs only go to Primary Care. I said they need to increase DO schools. If I said MD schools would you have posted? It is true that there is a slant for DOs to go to primary care. I personally thought that was because it was what DO schools pushed for/trained their students for. Certainly DOs can try for other residencies and I'm sure DOs would make excellent Dermatologist as well. In any case PCP is not an insult. They are a very important part of the system.

Thanks for the information. I did say that they shouldn't increase residency for anything BUT primary care. The idea was that they were going to open up more Medical schools, thus increasing the load on residencies. This might lead some to try and make more residency positions available for everything, when we really need more PCPs. Get it? That little add-on was because I knew people might consider going in to other areas from DO schools but we wanted people to consider PCP more.

Using DO schools as a way to get the BEST eduction for Primary Care Physicians is not that outrageous as the schools seem to strive to produce excellent pcps.
Some more information:
Code:
The Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) is a professional degree 
which requires four years of professional study. 
Our innovative curriculum is designed to fulfill our mission of 
training primary care physicians
from this site.

And this:
Code:
The osteopathic medical profession has a 
proud heritage of producing primary care practitioners. 
In fact, the mission statements of the majority of 
osteopathic medical schools state plainly that their 
purpose is the production of primary care physicians. 
Osteopathic medical tradition preaches 
that a strong foundation in primary care makes one a better physician,
regardless of what specialty they may eventually practice.
from this site.

What was that about knowledge bases?

Thanks for taking the bait, you along with Miami and FSU have made this a better day. :laugh:

Your solutions are simplistic and do not address the problematic consequences that would result. Here's what your knowledge base lacked:

1) You can't increase the number of primary care residencies. No money.

2) New DO schools and branch schools are opening up at an alarming rate. That's what you proposed, right? So where are all these graduates going to train? There are no planned increase in training positions for these new graduates.

In short, you don't know **** about the residency situation, but threw out this amazingly simplistic and short-sighted solution. "Open up more DO schools. Create more primary care residencies." Holy ****, I hear the Nobel committee knocking.

Maybe you can tackle the US economy problem while you're at it. Wait, wait - print more money? You are a godd*mn genius!

p-rog, are you kidding?

If you aren't then I'd like you to explain how ringing up condoms makes you suddenly less qualified as a pharmacist, or in pharmaceutical knowledge. Having said that I've met people who let their friends "prescribe" medication for them. "Oh you have a stomachache, here is some aspirin. Every time my head hurts I take one and it makes me feel better." Friend recommendations will sometimes be followed more than a prescription from a qualified professional.
So if a pharmacist ringing up peoples condoms gives them an opportunity to talk to patients and develop a good relationship with them, so that when they do make a qualified recommendation the patient is more likely to follow it, then so be it.

lol, wow. just wow.

Your solutions are simplistic and do not address the problematic consequences that would result. Here's what your knowledge base lacked:

1) You can't increase the number of primary care residencies. No money.

2) New DO schools and branch schools are opening up at an alarming rate. That's what you proposed, right? So where are all these graduates going to train? There are no planned increase in training positions for these new graduates.

In short, you don't know **** about the residency situation, but threw out this amazingly simplistic and short-sighted solution. "Open up more DO schools. Create more primary care residencies." Holy ****, I hear the Nobel committee knocking.

Maybe you can tackle the US economy problem while you're at it. Wait, wait - print more money? You are a godd*mn genius!

Hahahahaha, it's like your reading, but your not thinking. I hammered you on the D.O. schools thing so you jump on to the residency thing. As if I care. I was posing some hypothetical "solutions" for a corporation to get rid of pharmacists and inquiring what the others had to say against such an argument. I said I was playing devils advocate at the very beginning.

I definitely DON'T expect pcps to know anything about medication therapy when they graduate. The solution I posed had many faults and the other forum members were taking intelligent shots at IT, not my "knowledge base". I made it knowing full well it had faults because I was curious as to what others had to say against it, it's called a discussion. Look up devils advocate, no I don't think you can use Google without being offended that some ignorant people might think less of DOs.
Here:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/devil's+advocate
you can wikipedia it for more information.

Cut your losses dear, it's okay to lose some.

Hahahahaha, it's like your reading, but your not thinking. I hammered you on the D.O. schools thing so you jump on to the residency thing.

No, *****, you posted two mission statements, one from the AOA, and one from one of 20+ DO schools that mentioned training primary care physicians. As if that's supposed to validate your ridiculous 'devil's advocate' thought experiment/mental masturbation. If that's a hammering, it's pretty mild.

And moving to the lack of residency positions cut to the heart of your solution. If you view that sidestepping your 'hammering', think again.

Bottom line, your solution doesn't work. Period.

No, *****, you posted two mission statements, one from the AOA, and one from one of 20+ DO schools that mentioned training primary care physicians. As if that's supposed to validate your ridiculous 'devil's advocate' thought experiment/mental masturbation. If that's a hammering, it's pretty mild.

And moving to the lack of residency positions cut to the heart of your solution. If you view that sidestepping your 'hammering', think again.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you're a DO

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you're a DO

Yep. But that has nothing to do with the proposed "solutions". MD and DO alike disagree with the present massive expansion of DO school enrollment without a corresponding increase in residency spots. It's a recipe for disaster.

Yep. But that has nothing to do with the proposed "solutions". MD and DO alike disagree with the present massive expansion of DO school enrollment without a corresponding increase in residency spots. It's a recipe for disaster.
True, but it may explain why you're sensitive/defensive about comments others are making regarding the competitiveness of a DO in the residency selection process. What is the point of DO schools anyway? Hasn't their method of practice completely converged toward the allopathic method? They don't teach much about the philosophy behind osteopathic medicine anyways, it ends up being your basic sciences/clinical sciences after the first week or two, just like in any allopathic curriculum.

*****? That's your answer isn't it. When you are against a wall you just babble and try to insult me? Really? I would have expected more from a DO. The lack of residency positions is not the heart of my solution. The heart of the solution was having two physicians check the script before sending it to the pharmacy. If this is mental masturbation, you must be really desperate because you're getting really hyped up about some off-handed posts I made while checking scores to football games.

Here let me spell it out for you a little bit. You jumped into the middle of a discussion and seemingly commented based on one post stating that DOs aren't PCP factories. I answered by telling you that they seemed to specialize in training PCPs but are not limited to just producing PCPs. I provided proof for my argument. Seeing that your original intent was shot to hell, you decided to go after something else. Stating that they haven't been opening up residencies, but they have been opening up more schools.

Now you say they need more residency spots. WOW! Isn't that what I said, more residency spots AND more schools. I didn't say OR more schools. I said both. So it seems you agree with parts of my idea you just don't want to admit it.

Up till now, I've been taking most of your arguments to be against that one post that said they needed more DO schools. You then, seemingly without reading in context, decided that was my entire argument. The post below is what I was talking about. If you would read up you would know that it was on the VERY SAME PAGE. Below that post you'll find numerous other responses and additions to this original idea.

I'm not sure why your getting all offended. None of what I said was against DOs or MDs. I guess you have an inferiority complex. It's okay honey, we are all really proud of you for trying.

*****? That's your answer isn't it. When you are against a wall you just babble and try to insult me? Really? I would have expected more from a DO. The lack of residency positions is not the heart of my solution. The heart of the solution was having two physicians check the script before sending it to the pharmacy. If this is mental masturbation, you must be really desperate because you're getting really hyped up about some off-handed posts I made while checking scores to football games.

Here let me spell it out for you a little bit. You jumped into the middle of a discussion and seemingly commented based on one post stating that DOs aren't PCP factories. I answered by telling you that they seemed to specialize in training PCPs but are not limited to just producing PCPs. I provided proof for my argument. Seeing that your original intent was shot to hell, you decided to go after something else. Stating that they haven't been opening up residencies, but they have been opening up more schools.

Now you say they need more residency spots. WOW! Isn't that what I said, more residency spots AND more schools. I didn't say OR more schools. I said both. So it seems you agree with parts of my idea you just don't want to admit it.

Up till now, I've been taking most of your arguments to be against that one post that said they needed more DO schools. You then, seemingly without reading in context, decided that was my entire argument. The post below is what I was talking about. If you would read up you would know that it was on the VERY SAME PAGE. Below that post you'll find numerous other responses and additions to this original idea.

I'm not sure why your getting all offended. None of what I said was against DOs or MDs. I guess you have an inferiority complex. It's okay honey, we are all really proud of you for trying.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8689566&postcount=69

That was what I responded to. Nothing else. Open more DO schools and increase the number of primary care residency spots. I pointed out that #1 is happening without #2. Recipe for disaster. Simple solution, but not going to happen.

If you knew anything about the residency situation you would not have posted your solution, because you would have known that one part is happening while the other crucial part is not.

Those of us already in residency or past that have been watching this situation unfold since med school or beyond. So you will forgive me when someone new stumbles on the scene, proclaims a simplistic solution to a complex problem and yet is completely unaware that some of the things they propose are *already* happening and turning ugly.

That's my remark about your lack of knowledge base. And that statement is absolutely true, since you didn't know that DO schools have been expanding for the past several years, and you also did not know that residency positions cannot be increased. You lack sufficient background knowledge of how DO schools have been expanding and how residency positions cannot be increased. That's exactly what I said.

Further, what you don't know or fail to realize, is that many primary care spots don't fill every year. People do not want to be family physicians, or use internal medicine or pediatrics as stepping stones to subspecialization. When you are looking at private school loans in excess of $300K at graduation with capitalization of interest for a minimum of seven years and expect to earn on average $120-140K/yr, primary care looks like a losing proposition.

Again, lack of sufficient knowledge leads to a proposed solution that targets the wrong problem area. Though we'll need more residency spots, and that ain't happening, we also need to fill the primary care spots open now, and that ain't happening either.

Defensiveness as a DO isn't part of my response at all. Being a DO and following what the DO schools have been doing for the past several years, and being in residency and knowing that there is no chance that residency spots for primary care, or anything else for that matter, will increase because of lack of funds. That's where I'm speaking from. Peddle the rest of your crap however you want.

Last edited:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8689566&postcount=69

That was what I responded to. Nothing else. Open more DO schools and increase the number of primary care residency spots. I pointed out that #1 is happening without #2. Recipe for disaster. Simple solution, but not going to happen.

If you knew anything about the residency situation you would not have posted your solution, because you would have known that one part is happening while the other crucial part is not.

Those of us already in residency or past that have been watching this situation unfold since med school or beyond. So you will forgive me when someone new stumbles on the scene, proclaims a simplistic solution to a complex problem and yet is completely unaware that some of the things they propose are *already* happening and turning ugly.

That's my remark about your lack of knowledge base. And that statement is absolutely true, since you didn't know that DO schools have been expanding for the past several years, and you also did not know that residency positions cannot be increased. You lack sufficient background knowledge of how DO schools have been expanding and how residency positions cannot be increased. That's exactly what I said.

Defensiveness as a DO isn't part of my response at all. Being a DO and following what the DO schools have been doing for the past several years, and being in residency and knowing that there is no chance that residency spots for primary care, or anything else for that matter, will increase because of lack of funds. That's where I'm speaking from. Peddle the rest of your crap however you want.

is it really catastrophic when a lot of the primary care residencies are currently filled by FMGs ? I was under the impression that a significant percentage of family med and im slots were filled by fmgs and that they were being displaced by DOs as time went on.

is it really catastrophic when a lot of the primary care residencies are currently filled by FMGs ? I was under the impression that a significant percentage of family med and im slots were filled by fmgs and that they were being displaced by DOs as time went on.

What's happening is that the number of slots remains static, while the number of applicants increase every year. Primary care spots don't fill while the other specialties get more applicants. There's a point that as a USMD applicant, you not match at your top pick, or your preferred specialty, and that unhappiness will trickle down to the DOs, IMGs, and FMGs, as well.

Case in point - anesthesia. Twenty years ago, no one wanted to do anesthesia. DOs and FMGs filled the void. Now, anesthesia is competitive - one of the ROAD (Rads-Ortho/Ophtho-Anesthesia-Derm) specialties. I've heard grumblings of less DO interview invites as more MD applicants start to shift towards that specialty. Same with EM, to a lesser degree. Last year's match saw a small jump in the percentage of USMD grads that didn't match and had to scramble for a residency spot. A combination of factors are in play - more applicants applying for the same number of spots. It's going to get uglier as the next wave of DO graduates apply in the coming years.

True, but it may explain why you're sensitive/defensive about comments others are making regarding the competitiveness of a DO in the residency selection process. What is the point of DO schools anyway? Hasn't their method of practice completely converged toward the allopathic method? They don't teach much about the philosophy behind osteopathic medicine anyways, it ends up being your basic sciences/clinical sciences after the first week or two, just like in any allopathic curriculum.

Not quite. There are two year's worth of manipulative medicine in the curriculum, which involves didactic and practical testing for the first two years, as well as in our licensing exams. But you're right, the rest of the medicine we learn is completely the allopathic, EBM, stuff everywhere else.

I'm am not at all defensive about the competitiveness of DO applicants in certain specialties. I've been realistic all through school. I've posted about it extensively as well. The specialties that I considered before entering school were all well within reach as a DO.

But you bring up a very important point - people say either DO is MD+OMM, or DO is something else not MD. DO advocates claim this. Which is it? A great article from way back:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content...f1187a0ccb648e16f5000134&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Well now see that is the problem. You only looked at part of the whole. A very minor part at that.

since you didn't know that DO schools have been expanding for the past several years, and you also did not know that residency positions cannot be increased.

Explain why they couldn't increase them. You've said they haven't done it since the 80s. That's fine. So they ARE ABLE TO DO IT. Now why won't they? Are you talking about PCP residencies or ALL residencies? Are there already too many PCP residencies? In that case they need to provide more incentives for people to take PCP residencies.

Please resolve your lack of coherence. One second you agree they need to increase Residencies, then next you say it's dumb because they don't have funds.
I never proposed a full solution. I was saying if they COULD find a way (and they are actively searching, see the healthcare reform crap) then they could technically attempt to follow the plan above. It wasn't a full blown solution ******* it was a hypothetical. A solution I said many times I didn't agree with. If you would read and think you would realize I DON'T AGREE WITH USING PCPs TO REPLACE PHARMACISTS!!!!! Which is what I've been saying.

If your knowledge base is so vast and expansive please, inform us with your FULL FLEDGED solution to solving the deficit in PCPs.

Point me to the spot where I claimed I knew what was happening with the residency situation. I obviously don't investigate physicians residences that much given the fact that I am in pharmacy school. I did propose that they increase the number for residencies; that also takes into account that they have also taken all the other issues involving that into consideration. My assumption was based on them obviously having funding for more residents. I never proposed that this was going to be the end all, here it is, solution. If I wanted to take the time to put together a FULL solution to ALL problems Health related I would have put more effort in to it, and I would have sent it to some governing board. Not to SDN. If you are scouring SDN looking for full fledged solutions to all your problems you will be very disappointed. It shows how naive you are.

Now run back to you COD4.

Last edited:
Not quite. There are two year's worth of manipulative medicine in the curriculum, which involves didactic and practical testing for the first two years, as well as in our licensing exams. But you're right, the rest of the medicine we learn is completely the allopathic, EBM, stuff everywhere else.

I'm am not at all defensive about the competitiveness of DO applicants in certain specialties. I've been realistic all through school. I've posted about it extensively as well. The specialties that I considered before entering school were all well within reach as a DO.

But you bring up a very important point - people say either DO is MD+OMM, or DO is something else not MD. DO advocates claim this. Which is it? A great article from way back:

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content...f1187a0ccb648e16f5000134&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

If the DOs are learning the same stuff why are they having a harder time getting into certain residencies compared to MDs? I would imagine they would be just as good as the MD students. Also, how do the DOs differentiate themselves.

My friends in DO school tell me their curriculum is virtually identical to the MD curriculum. They also say the same is true in terms of practice, particularly if you've done an MD residency. Then all the actual osteopathic stuff goes out the window. This causes me to wonder what the point of DO school is, other than being a backup to MD schools.

My friends in DO school tell me their curriculum is virtually identical to the MD curriculum. They also say the same is true in terms of practice, particularly if you've done an MD residency. Then all the actual osteopathic stuff goes out the window. This causes me to wonder what the point of DO school is, other than being a backup to MD schools.

There are two kinds of DO students - ones that want to be DOs, learn OMM and practice it. Others just want to be physicians and don't care what letters are after their name and chose DO because of geography or not having a choice, and couldn't care less about OMM.

Blah blah blah.

You are now being deliberately dense or we are having a fundamental disconnect. The point you raised is the point I commented on. You had no idea, so that's okay, but it's done now and shown to be unworkable currently.

You have any more questions about the residency situation walk on down to the general residency forums and educate yourself. Not going to walk you though all of GME funding issues because most of us who are aware of the situation are at speed. If you think I'm being dense, go post your 'solution' on the residency forums and get another perspective. Good luck buddy.

You are now being deliberately dense or we are having a fundamental disconnect. The point you raised is the point I commented on. You had no idea, so that's okay, but it's done now and shown to be unworkable currently.

You have any more questions about the residency situation walk on down to the general residency forums and educate yourself. Not going to walk you though all of GME funding issues because most of us who are aware of the situation are at speed. If you think I'm being dense, go post your 'solution' on the residency forums and get another perspective. Good luck buddy.

:laugh::smuggrin:

There is no point. However, we would be absolutely screwed as a country if we hadn't had DO schools picking up the slack in increasing the number of physicians graduating in this country. The MD schools didn't really do **** for 20 years. The AMA and subspecialists f*cked us all and now the DOs, NPs, and PAs are picking up the slack. We need like twice as many MDs graduating every year than we currently have

i had one yesterday. i had a script come over that was written for zoloft 1000mg daily. i called to verify that the script was supposed to be 100mg. the secretary that answered the phone without hesitation verified the dosage as 1000mg daily. I asked her to please check with the doctor. she was adamant about the doctor wanting that dose. so i said ok whats your name? she told me. I then told her im going to document on the back of the script that you "verified" with the doctor and he said that it was ok for you to give the patient 10 times the normal dosing that way if the patient has any adverse reactions i have done my part. she interrupted me and said "ten times the normal dosing?" i said yes 10 times but since you verified with the doctor and he said it was ok i dont see any reason to worry. she changed her tune and put me on hold and guess what? she actually went and verified with the doctor. suddenly the 1000mg dose was changed to 100mg like that.

i had one yesterday. i had a script come over that was written for zoloft 1000mg daily. i called to verify that the script was supposed to be 100mg. the secretary that answered the phone without hesitation verified the dosage as 1000mg daily. I asked her to please check with the doctor. she was adamant about the doctor wanting that dose. so i said ok whats your name? she told me. I then told her im going to document on the back of the script that you "verified" with the doctor and he said that it was ok for you to give the patient 10 times the normal dosing that way if the patient has any adverse reactions i have done my part. she interrupted me and said "ten times the normal dosing?" i said yes 10 times but since you verified with the doctor and he said it was ok i dont see any reason to worry. she changed her tune and put me on hold and guess what? she actually went and verified with the doctor. suddenly the 1000mg dose was changed to 100mg like that.

Something like this happens to me every week. I do not allow the first person who answers the phone to answer my question.

Who is the professional here? That is not a word used by a professional. Does your state allow you to take orders over the phone? Will you ever grow up? You start with an excellent premise, there are too many unqualiified people phoning in prescriptions. Then you completely lose all credibility and any shred of professionalism with your descriptive comment.

I find it very interesting that people think that the way you talk on this message board is the same way you talk to people in real life. You should read The Angry Pharmacist sometime, he makes the OP look like a saint.

Language is language, get over it. Wouldn't you expect an adult to not think much about profanity? Isn't that why stand up comedians make sure to tell people that their act is for MATURE AUDIENCES only due to language and content?