Your Interactions w/ ******* Medical Secretaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, post your stories regarding your interactions with medical secretaries. I just had some **** try and call in Levothyroxine 500 mcg 1 TAB QD yesterday.

Members don't see this ad.

So, post your stories regarding your interactions with medical secretaries. I just had some **** try and call in Levothyroxine 500 mcg 1 TAB QD yesterday.

They are a designee of the almighty physician, FILL IT!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

Who is the professional here? That is not a word used by a professional. Does your state allow you to take orders over the phone? Will you ever grow up? You start with an excellent premise, there are too many unqualiified people phoning in prescriptions. Then you completely lose all credibility and any shred of professionalism with your descriptive comment.

Who is the professional here? That is not a word used by a professional. Does your state allow you to take orders over the phone? Will you ever grow up? You start with an excellent premise, there are too many unqualiified people phoning in prescriptions. Then you completely lose all credibility and any shred of professionalism with your descriptive comment.

You...hush up and go away....no one wants to read any of your non-sense babbling. This thread
lost all credibility and any shred of professionalism as soon as you posted.

My favorite is when you call about a drug interaction. Some random person answers the phone, be it the janitor, the cleaning lady, the Doctors Mother or the receptionist who barely speaks english. The tell you it is okay to fill the prescription the very second you finsih telling whoever what the interaction was. As if in that nano-second they had time to ask the Doctor and communicate his response to you.

You...hush up and go away....no one wants to read any of your non-sense babbling. This thread
lost all credibility and any shred of professionalism as soon as you posted.

My favorite is when you call about a drug interaction. Some random person answers the phone, be it the janitor, the cleaning lady, the Doctors Mother or the receptionist who barely speaks english. The tell you it is okay to fill the prescription the very second you finsih telling whoever what the interaction was. As if in that nano-second they had time to ask the Doctor and communicate his response to you.

You people seriously need to start reporting that to the medical board.

Yes, my state allows me to take orders over the phone and do all the functions of a pharmacist in the presence of a pharmacist.

I told my wife so many stories about said receptionists and secretaries that when she became one she made sure not to be one.

Now if she ever has a question about drugs or what she is calling on she just checks with me first (assuming she can't talk to the doctor right then).

You people seriously need to start reporting that to the medical board.

Trust me I am all over it. I have reported 2 nurses (LVNs) to the state nursing board. I have reported one Doctor to the state medical board for allowing a staff memeber to practice medicine without a license. I have not heard back on any of them yet.

My staff jokes that I am not allowed to talk to Doctors offices any more. I flat go off when one of these idiots does stupid stuff like this. I have in the last three months got on the phone and absolutly chewed the ass off two Doctors because of thier staff members stupidity. I have never seen anything like this until I moved to Texas. Its like everyone does whatever they want regardless of the law.

Trust me I am all over it. I have reported 2 nurses (LVNs) to the state nursing board. I have reported one Doctor to the state medical board for allowing a staff memeber to practice medicine without a license. I have not heard back on any of them yet.

My staff jokes that I am not allowed to talk to Doctors offices any more. I flat go off when one of these idiots does stupid stuff like this. I have in the last three months got on the phone and absolutly chewed the ass off two Doctors because of thier staff members stupidity. I have never seen anything like this until I moved to Texas. Its like everyone does whatever they want regardless of the law.

Isn't reporting them to the board a little extreme? What were the circumstances?

This happened today:

Got a fax for 2 prescriptions for a nice little old lady we mail Rx's to on a regular basis. Naproxen and Percocet. Pharmacist writes on fax "We need the original Rx with handwritten Dr's signature and DEA number for Percocet." Five minutes later we get another fax with the Dr's signature and DEA number clearly signed on previous fax version. . .

I phoned and left a message on the voicemail asking the doctor to clarify a prescription. So his secretary (also his wife) called back and chewed me out for leaving this message, saying that the answering machine was in a public place and the entire waiting room could hear when she checked the messages. So I retorted, what do you have it in a public place for? Put it someplace private, or wear headphones.

Outraged, she phoned my boss to complain about how I had the nerve to tell her how to use the answering machine. The boss told me to apologize because this was a doctor's wife. I said, no way in hell. Guess you'll just have to fire me.

My boss ended up calling her and offering a grovelling apology for my inexcusable behaviour.

Just another of the reasons I don't work in retail any more...

Members don't see this ad :)
last night, this nurse tried to call in percocet, after i told her no, she started to chew me out telling me to do just do my job...i was gonna let her have it but i was too busy with other customers

I phoned and left a message on the voicemail asking the doctor to clarify a prescription. So his secretary (also his wife) called back and chewed me out for leaving this message, saying that the answering machine was in a public place and the entire waiting room could hear when she checked the messages. So I retorted, what do you have it in a public place for? Put it someplace private, or wear headphones.

Outraged, she phoned my boss to complain about how I had the nerve to tell her how to use the answering machine. The boss told me to apologize because this was a doctor's wife. I said, no way in hell. Guess you'll just have to fire me.

My boss ended up calling her and offering a grovelling apology for my inexcusable behaviour.

Just another of the reasons I don't work in retail any more...

Your boss was a ***** and likly a ****ty boss.

Yes, my state allows me to take orders over the phone and do all the functions of a pharmacist in the presence of a pharmacist.
Now that I know you are legal, do you still think the epithet was necessary? Start acting like a professional.

Since when are professionals banned from using profanity?

Let's see what happens when you use that epithet on rounds to describe a foolish decision made by a female you encounter. I'll bet you won't get such a blase response. But hey I could be wrong, give it a shot.

Since when are professionals banned from using profanity?

He is an idiot just ignore him. This is an informal internet forum. His kisses WVUPharm2007 ass all day long and Mikey uses more profanity on here than anyone. Somehow that is acceptable to him. Like I say he is an idiot who contributes very little around here. Ignore him.

To be fair, calling a woman a **** is rather derogatory and does strike me as pretty juvenile. "*****" is much better, or even "f*cking idiot." Those are much more accurate and not offensive!

Well I never called the actual person a ****, I just used that term to describe her here.

One epithet I want to see what the reaction would be is if I call someone a wanker, but I'll have to go to Britain to do that.

Let's see what happens when you describe someone to one the attendings on rounds. It is not professional.

oh good Lordy go away and save your professionalism talks for on rounds. People know not to use the word "****" "wanker" "f*ck" and "d*ckface" and even "killjoy" on rounds. Please, save the superiority talk for another day.

oh good Lordy go away and save your professionalism talks for on rounds. People know not to use the word "****" "wanker" "f*ck" and "d*ckface" and even "killjoy" on rounds. Please, save the superiority talk for another day.

He is an idiot. I suggest everyone put him on thier ignore list.

I wouldn't say everyone. Social training in this country has been on a decline for quite some time now. I've heard 5 year olds cussing out 4 year olds on the playground. In time I'd imagine even on rounds you'll hear it, because afterall, it's really "not that bad.":rolleyes:

OH! Wow...I just looked up ****, I thought it was a lesser form of idiot. Apparently it's not...:laugh: Now I get why old timer was offended. However, I do think that one doctors wife was probably a **** (well she has one anyways! :laugh: Hurray for the WORD OF THE DAY!).

How the hell are you supposed to know the doctor gave you a phone number to an answering machine that was in the lobby. He should have given you a better number/ they should have answered the phone.

Had you given him a lesson in pharmacology or something? Why was she so embarrassed? (Or was this a HIPPA thing? Can you leave patient info on an answering machine?).

Also what does being a doctor's wife have to do with it? What's wrong with your manager? I would have expected him to tell her just WHERE he thinks she should put the answering machine.

OH! Wow...I just looked up ****, I thought it was a lesser form of idiot. Apparently it's not...:laugh: Now I get why old timer was offended. However, I do think that one doctors wife was probably a **** (well she has one anyways! :laugh: Hurray for the WORD OF THE DAY!).

How the hell are you supposed to know the doctor gave you a phone number to an answering machine that was in the lobby. He should have given you a better number/ they should have answered the phone.

Had you given him a lesson in pharmacology or something? Why was she so embarrassed? (Or was this a HIPPA thing? Can you leave patient info on an answering machine?).

Also what does being a doctor's wife have to do with it? What's wrong with your manager? I would have expected him to tell her just WHERE he thinks she should put the answering machine.

So did I. I just realized my intended term was going to be twit or nitwit.

So did I. I just realized my intended term was going to be twit or nitwit.

Lol, **** is a classic. How do y'all not know it?!

Probably second only to the c-word in terms of offensiveness to women.

So now, we use words that are clearly meant to demean and hurt people, we don't know what they mean, but they sound cool so we use them......

I am not offended. I am disappointed. The word adds ZERO to the discussion. In fact it has detracted from the point Sparda29 was trying to make. This is a huge problem that needs to be addressed, not the profanity. The number of people who on a daily basis call in medication orders for patients that have no clue as to what they are doing. In Pennsylvania, the most backward State in the Union, only a pharmacist may receive a verbal order, but anybody the doctor designates may phone it in. So I have to get on the phone with someone who says I want to call in an RX for ah, ah ah... I'll spell it for you......

Pretty sure that the physician can have the dog call in an Rx if he wants to in every state.

It's pretty f*cking ******ed, I'm not sure you'll find anyone to disagree. I'm not sure they should even allow RNs to do it sometimes...

Pretty sure that the physician can have the dog call in an Rx if he wants to in every state.

It's pretty f*cking ******ed, I'm not sure you'll find anyone to disagree. I'm not sure they should even allow RNs to do it sometimes...

If you can't catch a medication error when calling it in then you shouldn't be an RN. If as an RN you are doing anything with a medication that you are unfamiliar with (transcribing, administering, calling in...) then you should be stopping to look it up first. Any RN that doesn't deserves to lose their license when their laziness causes patient harm. I am by no means an expert in medications but I know enough about the meds I am giving to recognize a dangerous dose. Also I am more careful when I know I am giving a med that hasn't had time to have the order checked by the pharmacist (ie overrides in the pyxis).

Something that pisses me off at my primary doctor's office is that after the examination, he's yells to the PA, write this dude a script.

Usually, he tells me what he's going to give me, but you can see how bad it can get if he personally doesn't write the script. For example, if he meant to give me like 5 Ativan for the flight's I'm about to go on over the next week, I could easily just tell the PA that he wanted 30 tablets, and even if they wanna verify, he's already moved on to the next patient and doesn't care anymore.

Well the problem is that you have RNs who may or may not know the diagnosis and may or may not know how to pronounce the medication talking to pharmacists who in an outpatient setting don't know the diagnosis 95% of the time but know how to pronounce names.

Phoned in prescriptions are sorta like the purple telephone game. Either the diagnosis should be provided for every Rx (which I'm not sure it should be in an outpatient setting), or the doctor should either do it himself or fax/e-prescribe/write it the f*ck down.

They should just ban phone orders by anyone but an MD. And even then, the chance for forgery is extremely high. I 100% guarantee you I could forge a phone Rx right now If I so chose, and so could any of you.

Lol, **** is a classic. How do y'all not know it?!

Probably second only to the c-word in terms of offensiveness to women.

last year a bunch of us polled the girls in our class which offended them more, c*nt or ****.

most weren't sure, but I think c*nt won out in the end. **** is more fun though

Yeah, all the pharmacists love this thread which belittles medical secretaries.

Now if physicians started a similar thread about "******* pharmacists," everyone here would have their panties in a twist.

Last edited:
Yeah, all the pharmacists love this thread which belittles medical secretaries.

Now if physicians started a similar thread about "******* pharmacists," everyone hear would have their panties in a twist.

Haha interesting point.

If a pharmacist were to walk into an o.r. and start performing surgery or giving all this advice to a veteran surgeon I'd call him on that though. If your not qualified to do something, you shouldn't do it. That is the point. In this case I'm sure it's not only the secretaries fault.

Last edited:
Haha interesting point.

If a pharmacist were to walk into an o.r. and start performing surgery or giving all this advice to a veteran surgeon I'd call him on that though. If your not qualified to do something, you shouldn't do it. That is the point. In this case I'm sure it's not only the secretaries fault.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second.... What about all the pharmacists/students who want prescribing rights on this board? Could physicians get away with belittling them for trying to do something that they're clearly not qualified for?

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second.... What about all the pharmacists/students who want prescribing rights on this board? Could physicians get away with belittling them for trying to do something that they're clearly not qualified for?

Prescribing and diagnosing are NOT the same. Pharmacists are not qualified to diagnose, they ARE qualified to prescribe. Physicians often ask pharmacists for advice on prescriptions. Game, set, match. Thanks for playing.

Prescribing and diagnosing are NOT the same. Pharmacists are not qualified to diagnose, they ARE qualified to prescribe. Physicians often ask pharmacists for advice on prescriptions. Game, set, match. Thanks for playing.

Exactly, and idea that I've been tossing around is, when a patient goes to see a doctor, the doctor gives them a prescription with a diagnosis on it. Patient takes that to the pharmacy and the pharmacist selects the treatment. Also, the patient's medical reports should always be kept on file at the pharmacy as well.

Exactly, and idea that I've been tossing around is, when a patient goes to see a doctor, the doctor gives them a prescription with a diagnosis on it. Patient takes that to the pharmacy and the pharmacist selects the treatment. Also, the patient's medical reports should always be kept on file at the pharmacy as well.

Medical reports? Like medical records? That can be a lot of records, lots of it not electronic, and problematic if the patient goes back and forth between different national chains and independants. That's a lot of people who will have access to patient's records. We can't even get hospitals in the same area to allow access to each other's records online.

Medical reports? Like medical records? That can be a lot of records, lots of it not electronic, and problematic if the patient goes back and forth between different national chains and independants. That's a lot of people who will have access to patient's records. We can't even get hospitals in the same area to allow access to each other's records online.

This is a system problem, because hospitals, insurers, and other medical entities developed their own system and don't see the need to change it. This is a molehill, not K2. It seems to me there is a standard out there, although I can't find it. But hell if law firms can use a standard surely the medical community can reverse their rectal-cranial inversion.

This is a molehill, not K2. It seems to me there is a standard out there, although I can't find it.

You let me know when you do. There's a tremendous push by the government to transition to EMR, but no funding behind it. You may think it's a molehill, but it will be a very expensive molehill.

Some newer physicians need help from the pharmacist, however most older ones know their stuff and don't really need much help. Some physicians need help from pharmacists and some do not. Just like some people need help with physics and some do not. etc. No big deal.