Your Job History

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaBelleVN

Fellow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband and I will be starting our first jobs this summer. We know that most people only stay at their first jobs for a few years. However, being as though 1) we've done extensive research on the location (we narrowed our job search geographically), 2) spoke to many people within the group and hospital setting, all of whom have been in their respective jobs for a very long time, and 3) are in the process of purchasing a home, we really want to believe that we'll be at our first jobs for much longer.

I'm curious and wanted to take a quick poll on the following:

1) How long have you been in practice?
2) How many jobs have you had?
3) How long were you at your first job?
4) What made you change jobs?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Myself:
First job= academic, 2 yrs
Second job= private, 1 year, plan to stay forever

Friend:
First job= 6 months after relocating cross-country. Was let go because group decided to become hospital employees and another pathologist not needed. Now she is trying to sell the house the bought 6 months ago. Bad situation.

I say this because unless you are 100% sure things will work out with your new group, renting for a year may not be a bad idea. Good luck.

1) How long have you been in practice?
2.5years
2) How many jobs have you had?
1 job- private practice

I make partnership in 5 months. I hope to be here long term. I bought a house right away- that was NOT smart. Buying a house is an expensive gamble. If I quit my job/was fired after 1 year, and couldn't get another job here (difficult in a large metropolitan area), then I could easily lose 30k+ in the process. So buying a house was a 30k gamble. The 'cost' of renting instead of buying is minimal- a few k tops. I know you want a house, and like to think the job will be great and forever, but crap happens. Give yourself 1 year at your job to see- see if things really are what they said they would be- see if you really like it, see if you are still employed. Also see what you can afford. Your salary will shoot up, as will your taxes and your retirement needs- you can save for a year and figure how much disposable income you have for a house. After 1 year - if things feel good, I think it is VERY reasonable to buy a house.

Members don't see this ad :)
In practice 26 years
# of jobs = 2
Years in first job = 20
Changed jobs to become chair

Renting is a no brainer right now with all the uncertainty. Be in no hurry to buy a home or get married. Spouses can make it very difficult because you likely will have to move when you lose your job and pathology has very little job security. Try to pick a woman that is happy staying at home with the kids. Preferably one that wont waste all your money....:laugh:

I've only been in my job (first after fellowship, private practice) for 7 months, hope to stay here for the long term if not permanently. Like others have said I'm renting until I make partner. Sure buying would be the best long-term solution financially, but the risk of having to sell if I didn't make partner next year outweighs that benefit. I'm a firm believer in renting until you know you're going to be living somewhere for at least 5-10 years, but no one seems to like following that advice. Ah well. Someone's gotta keep food on those real estate agent's plates.

Are you guys buying homes that make you house poor? Buying an expensive dream home before you are comfortable with your job would be a bad idea. However, values are down and money is cheap. Don't be scared to buy a modest home in a desirable area. If you have to uproot, rent out your property.

Are you guys buying homes that make you house poor? Buying an expensive dream home before you are comfortable with your job would be a bad idea. However, values are down and money is cheap. Don't be scared to buy a modest home in a desirable area. If you have to uproot, rent out your property.

Depends on the location. If you take a job in Florida, I would def buy now. Still some pretty good deals down there and people are migrating to the area from places like California.

I wish I lived in a desirable area. You walk around my town at night, it looks like Michael Jackson's Thriller video.

This doesnt exactly address your question but most people who think they take a job for something now often end up staying forever and those who think they just landed their dreamjob flee in 6 months because it sucks so bad and is nowhere what was advertised. I agree with renting a home for a while. Nothing to lose but a little rent.

Last edited:
after internship, residency, fellowship and military obligation (total 10 1/2 years) i have been in the same job for 25 years.

I guess it depends on lots of variables. My job has a defined pre-partnership time period, my location (along with my fiance's) is the greater Boston area where any decent home will make you house poor and values didn't drop they actually kept increasing over the last 5 years, and I don't want to deal with the hassle of buying something only to uproot in a year if I don't make partner (which is a very slim but still possible scenario). So for me renting was an easy choice for now and I'll simply buy if/when I make partner. If that means higher interest rates or whatever next spring, so be it.

In first job: 7 mo. private

Starting to interview for second job as we speak.

I'll second what everyone says, rent at first.

My personal 2c look for areas/regions. I chose $$$ over pretty much everything else and moved my whole fam to a place they can't stand. I'm now looking to take a paycut to move to a more desirable area.

Another thing that I learned is that (ignoring a few wrinkles in specimen types, payer mix, group efficiency, etc.) in general the money is all the same. For example the partners at my gig make loads, but I signout till 7pm every day, once I looked around at volumes I realized I was actually not making any significant amount more per/hr than folks elsewhere and with the side bonus of living in the most horrible suburban sprawl strip mall mess in the continental US.

For example the partners at my gig make loads, but I signout till 7pm every day, once I looked around at volumes I realized I was actually not making any significant amount more per/hr than folks elsewhere and with the side bonus of living in the most horrible suburban sprawl strip mall mess in the continental US.

Let me guess, Suburbs of Houston?

Isn't ironic that in most fields the jobs in the big cities pay more money. For example an architect can make a lot more money in Santa Monica or Manhattan than he can in the sticks. But in pathology the most desirable job locations tend to have the lower salaries.

Last edited:
I took my job right out of fellowship. Timing worked out well. I do not foresee leaving. In my group, most of the pathologists have had other jobs. A couple came from academia, the others had jobs in smaller groups before joining ours. I think maybe 4-5 came right out of fellowship. I was on partnership track from date of hire with gradual equalizing income over 3.5 years until it equalized this year.

Your first job might be your last job if it has all the right characteristics. In my group, almost everyone is in their "last" job. That kind of tells you it is one you might want to take and stick with. If everyone who joins the group leaves after 3-4 years, then you probably will too.

one job private job 3.5 years in. Picked location over money. Of the three big parameters- great location, great money and great job- honestly got great location, acceptable job and money. Next year is partner year and if I get in- will pick out burial sites nearby :)