Your NBDE from a Step 1 point of view!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeedTheHippo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my girlfriend is finishing off her 2nd year in dental school, and recently took her NBDE at the same time I finished my Step 1 for my medical school boards. And I have to say, my hat is off to all you dental students out there trying to tackle your boards... Although we, as med students, cover much more information for our Step 1, its very clear to me that when it comes to the boards, med students have it better as far as resources. When I got back from med school and started studying for my boards, I had one book which was First Aid, and suscribed to 2 question banks online for a total of about 6,000 questions. Seriously, there isnt a single med student that can pass Step 1 without doing atleast 2-3000 practice questions before the exam. And its that simple, we gotta memorize/learn first aid, and more importantly learn how to apply the material. Thats why we do so many questions. And each question has paragraphs of explanations, so we learn more from the q's than reading.. However thats the case with any standardized exam! MCAT, DAT, boards, they all need practice and application.

Anyways, the reason I am telling you guys this is because after seeing what you guys have to go through, i felt bad haha. She actually ended up doing really well on her exam even though she didnt go through 6000 questions like I did. haha.. She used the "decks" flash cards, that are available (which I think are just horrible), and also purchased the "board buster" book from a guy ahead of her.. Seriously guys, that book is equivlant to our first aid, after I looked through the micro section and stuff, I told her that the main goal should be to memorize that book cover to cover.. Because thats what I was told to do with my first aid book, and it worked! First aid for us is GOLD!.. The one thing she had that really helped her, was the fact that the buster book she used had old exam questions in the book, which was pretty much like doing a bunch of questions i guess.. She wasnt planning on specializing in any field.. But, THANKS TO ME!!!, she listened to my advice and memorized that book, and she is definetly looking into Ortho.. She has the score to do it, and from what I hear, orthos make a killer!! so it will be nice for her to atleast make some dough now that the health reform bill is gonna pay me, a medical doctor, the same salary as a teacher!! :mad:

Anyways, my hats off to all you dental students trying to tackle this board! i could never be a dentist after seeing first hand what she does.. But, its prob the better choice now that the health care system is gonna get messed up!

Good luck to all you guys taking it soon..

Members don't see this ad.

hello there,,well yeah i see what ur talkin about,,, we study almost like u guys (usmle) ,,,anyway i bought that dental board buster book for part one ,defenatly its a great book ,,i love it...
anyway good luck to all there,..
wadent : )

i have many of my USMLE friends who just show attitude looking at dental students.. who are giving NBDE.. and tell us that... "huh what do u guys have to study.. its just superficial.. nothing like medicos!!... we are the true docs...!! lolz... you have to study just head and neck.. not the whole body!1"

i get so pissed... @#$%^&*(

hello there,,well yeah i see what ur talkin about,,, we study almost like u guys (usmle) ,,,anyway i bought that dental board buster book for part one ,defenatly its a great book ,,i love it...
anyway good luck to all there,..
wadent : )

hi wadent can u plz tell me dat is dat worth buying dental board busters??

Yeah its a great book anekha..
Its similar to first aid but more specefic ,straight forward to the point !