Your office

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Streetmath

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought this would be something a little different and would be nice to see everyones work area. So really the question is: What does your office/desk area look like? Do you see most of your patients in your office? Do you have different rooms and you circulate through them? What is your setup?

Here is the setup of our office: We have three family doctors - Each have their own office with a separate room, two waiting areas (one shared, one by himself), and a shared reception area. Each doctor has his own receptionist/office staff.

ddcfd9f8e2315b9fec398c778d5472f8.png

And yes, we still use paper charting

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My office. I rarely see patients in there.

IMG_7489.jpg

IMG_9171.jpg

Here's the work area in one of my exam rooms. There are three docs in my office, and we each have an office and three exam rooms.

0175CEA4-AEB7-47AB-84C5-F972BDC5652A_zpsz6hwwxa3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We have three family doctors - Each have their own office with a separate room, two waiting areas (one shared, one by himself), and a shared reception area. Each doctor has his own receptionist/office staff. And yes, we still use paper charting

Why the two waiting areas and separate staff for each doctor? Seems like a lot of redundancy. Staff and real estate are typically the two biggest components of overhead. And you only have one exam room each...? That's got to affect your volume and cycle time. How many patients do you each see in a day? How long are your appointments? Any plans to switch to an EHR soon?

I haven't moved in yet! Suggestions?

I have 3 exam rooms and a large shared procedure room, 1 huge waiting area for 4 providers with receptionists up there. In the back I have a secretary, nurse, and MA. I have Fridays off booya.

IMG_20170712_160905.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

I have 3 exam rooms and a large shared procedure room, 1 huge waiting area for 4 providers with receptionists up there. In the back I have a secretary, nurse, and MA. I have Fridays off booya.

View attachment 221996

Nice setup! I take Wednesdays off, but have been considering switching it to Fridays at some point.

Why the two waiting areas and separate staff for each doctor? Seems like a lot of redundancy. Staff and real estate are typically the two biggest components of overhead. And you only have one exam room each...? That's got to affect your volume and cycle time. How many patients do you each see in a day? How long are your appointments? Any plans to switch to an EHR soon?

The office was this way when we moved in here - never bothered to change any of it. One of the perks of this office is that there is a pharmacy below us, helps with the patients who do not have a vehicle. I wish we did have more exam rooms, the wait times are obtrusive, to say the least. If your appointment is around 9-11 AM, they are normally on time, after that they start to run behind anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour+. As for patients, around 25 per day, sometimes more, we take walk-ins except for Wednesdays. All of the exam rooms are connected to our office and that is the only way you can access them, so we see all of our patients at our desk and move to the exam room if need be. As for the EHR, I've been pushing for it majorly for two years. The other two doctors are near retirement and have no will to learn and would just rather stick to paper. While we do receive almost all information such as blood work via online all charting is done with paper. I know it is crazy, writing it out makes out sound even more so to me... time for some change I think.

Here is a quick layout of the office. They call me Picasso around here ;)
0c4e5e58583e39705ebd05a9d5fe4f23.png

Very interesting to see smaller civilian practice. My only experience has been as a patient with Kaiser and a student at larger military hospitals.

Here's ours. My office is the one in the lower right corner.

I did the layout myself. There's a lot to be said for optimizing a space for efficient workflow. It's 4,000 sq. ft., which is about the industry average for a three-physician office. For size reference, the exam rooms are 10'x10'. The chart racks in the front office area (labeled "reception area" on the drawing) are gone (we put them into storage three years after switching to EHR). We have a couple of cubicles there now for additional work space.

New_Office.jpg

Here's ours. My office is the one in the lower right corner.

I did the layout myself. There's a lot to be said for optimizing a space for efficient workflow. It's 4,000 sq. ft., which is about the industry average for a three-physician office. For size reference, the exam rooms are 10'x10'. The chart racks in the front office area (labeled "reception area" on the drawing) are gone (we put them into storage three years after switching to EHR). We have a couple of cubicles there now for additional work space.

New_Office.jpg
Really nice office! I have to admit, your layout looks better than mine.

You said earlier about wait times, I took track today. One patients appointment was at 1:20 - patient did not get in till 3:39, we were really behind today. There has been times that we don't leave until 10 PM.

View attachment 221996
Looks nice - now it is time so swarm that desk with a never ending pile of paper!

Really nice office! I have to admit, your layout looks better than mine.

You said earlier about wait times, I took track today. One patients appointment was at 1:20 - patient did not get in till 3:39, we were really behind today. There has been times that we don't leave until 10 PM.

Yikes. My patients get pissed off if I'm more than 20 minutes behind! I leave the office shortly after I finish in the afternoon (usually before 5PM, rarely later than 6PM). I would definitely recommend taking a hard look at your scheduling and workflow.

Here's another pic of an exam room, taken from a wider angle

457106_475446892484537_1052974287_o.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys/gals have some nice office space! Are some of you guys saying you have 3 days off?

Counting the weekend? Yep. I've only worked four days/week since I got off guarantee. That's considered full-time in my group, and typically works out to close to 40 hours (not counting any time spent working from home).

Looks nice - now it is time so swarm that desk with a never ending pile of paper!

Not necessarily. I didn't straighten my office up for those pics (it was at the end of the day, however). My desk pretty much always looks that way, although I may have a couple of short stacks on the credenza with stuff that I'm working on.

Counting the weekend? Yep. I've only worked four days/week since I got off guarantee. That's considered full-time in my group, and typically works out to close to 40 hours (not counting any time spent working from home).
Yeah most places I've worked at say that full time is 36 patient hours with 4 admin type hours which works out to 4.5 days/week, but those were all hospital jobs and they're usually a bit more strict with the rules.

You guys/gals have some nice office space! Are some of you guys saying you have 3 days off?
Monday to Friday - Every few weeks we throw in a Saturday.

After looking at my pictures, I guess my rather large, ornately framed med school diploma is out of fashion, right? I was/am doggone proud of that achievement so I did it up right....and would it be a bit much to put my instructor certifications and shooting school certificates up in my office?

After looking at my pictures, I guess my rather large, ornately framed med school diploma is out of fashion, right? I was/am doggone proud of that achievement so I did it up right....and would it be a bit much to put my instructor certifications and shooting school certificates up in my office?

I have an "ego wall" full of framed certificates...all medical, though. :)

One of my former partners had his diplomas hung in his exam rooms. His office walls were full of sports paraphernalia, fishing awards, and running medals.
I might have autographed photos and music memorabilia all over the place

Thought this would be something a little different and would be nice to see everyones work area. So really the question is: What does your office/desk area look like? Do you see most of your patients in your office? Do you have different rooms and you circulate through them? What is your setup?

Here is the setup of our office: We have three family doctors - Each have their own office with a separate room, two waiting areas (one shared, one by himself), and a shared reception area. Each doctor has his own receptionist/office staff.

ddcfd9f8e2315b9fec398c778d5472f8.png

And yes, we still use paper charting

Not sure why I didn't notice this earlier (although I have a keen eye for stethoscopes, and I'm pretty sure that's some model of Littmann Classic on your desk - can't see the diaphragm), but...is that a flip phone...? ;)

Love your office - Especially the "dude" in the corner!

That's Scurvy Steve (he's been known to sport a pirate hat and eyepatch...aaargh). If you need an ortho consult, Steve's your man. ;)

He's also great with computers...

4583_105475068711_5224164_n.jpg

...and festive around Holiday time...

10624679_10153444152378712_5161762345869405141_n.jpg

...although, he is something of an opportunist... ;)

377804_10150647764888712_1677279836_n.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I have an "ego wall" full of framed certificates...all medical, though. :)
My "ego" wall is actually at my house. Seems every time I have taken a "real" job an put my certs on the wall the job turns sour and doesn't last longer than 3 months. That has happened to me 5 times (hence the locums life). For me it's just bad karma to even have an office-which I don't. Since I work at 3 sites, all my stuff is in my rolling bag and I sit in the back with the computer. Works for me.

Not sure why I didn't notice this earlier (although I have a keen eye for stethoscopes, and I'm pretty sure that's some model of Littmann Classic on your desk - can't see the diaphragm), but...is that a flip phone...? ;)
Yup - Nokia, had it for years.

That's Scurvy Steve (he's been known to sport a pirate hat and eyepatch...aaargh). If you need an ortho consult, Steve's your man. ;)

He's also great with computers...

4583_105475068711_5224164_n.jpg

...and festive around Holiday time...

10624679_10153444152378712_5161762345869405141_n.jpg

...although, he is something of an opportunist... ;)

377804_10150647764888712_1677279836_n.jpg
Since Scurvy Steve is so good with computers, maybe he can help get us on EHR, lol.

It is 5:11 and I'm already home today, wow! I'll try to take some more pictures tomorrow morning if nobody is around, depends on how early I get in. Don't hold me to it

People were waiting outside the door, so I took the pictures quickly while walking to the back. How accurate was my drawing? ;)

This is just past reception. To the right is the first waiting room - Used by one doctor. To the left is a electrical room, office, bathroom, doctor office, and an exam room.
d8981d709a3aada0643afa5366f1bd48.png

Inside the first waiting room, there is windows between the two waiting rooms.
2c559b648e28f2f83d04073199d51161.png

The the right is the second waiting room - used by myself and another doctor. To the left is the other doctors office etc.
6e2783581c193bf51a0b12b368fc346d.png

And here is the second waiting room. Through the second doorway and to your right is my office, to your left is another doctor office, plus the kitchen, supply closet, etc.

The doctor that we share a waiting room with is gone for the next four business days so I am also taking his patients. Things are about to get even slower. Yay! Excuse any typos, writing this quickly during my lunch break.

Here's a few more pics of our office.

Lobby (I refuse to call it a "waiting room," 'cause I don't intend for people to wait there very long)

IMG_9829.jpg

IMG_9830.jpg

Weight/height station

IMG_9828.jpg

Phlebotomy station

IMG_9827.jpg

Lab

IMG_9825.jpg

IMG_9826.jpg

Nursing station

IMG_9824.jpg

Front office area

IMG_9832.jpg

Lobby (I refuse to call it a "waiting room," 'cause I don't intend for people to wait there very long)

IMG_9829.jpg

IMG_9830.jpg

Weight/height station

IMG_9828.jpg

Phlebotomy station

IMG_9827.jpg

Lab

IMG_9825.jpg

IMG_9826.jpg

Nursing station

IMG_9824.jpg

Front office area

IMG_9832.jpg
The walker behind the scale is a brilliant idea! I must say, your office is better looking and has way more to offer. Nice

IMG_9829.jpg

IMG_9830.jpg

Weight/height station

IMG_9828.jpg

Phlebotomy station

IMG_9827.jpg

Lab

IMG_9825.jpg

IMG_9826.jpg

Nursing station

IMG_9824.jpg

Front office area

IMG_9832.jpg
This is a nice office. Is it located in an upscale neighborhood?

Took these photos Friday, forgot to post them.
08356588afe20c353035a03d804d3833.png

2b8ef045c936ef12c72fc20fcfb0ef1d.png

fd01fa20fdc9df1ee6e4b1a775f1dd4a.png

e20e132fcfbeff31743d5b8456e2fb9b.png

08356588afe20c353035a03d804d3833

2b8ef045c936ef12c72fc20fcfb0ef1d

fd01fa20fdc9df1ee6e4b1a775f1dd4a

e20e132fcfbeff31743d5b8456e2fb9b

Our office is to the right, waiting room to the left

EDIT: Forgot to attach the direct image, oops;)