Your opinions on PBL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CatsandCradles

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone here in a problem base learning class for medical school? If so, how do you like it?

What are some of the difficulties and advantages it offers? I hear that PBLers are more comfortable when interacting with patients.

I guess it would take a lot more responsibility on part of the student and group to be in PBL. I am leaning towards the more traditional lecture base learning - but would like to hear what others have experienced.

I have just been accepted into a school that offers both programs so your opinions are really important.

Thank you and God speed you,

Peter

Members don't see this ad.

CatsandCradles said:
Is anyone here in a problem base learning class for medical school? If so, how do you like it?

What are some of the difficulties and advantages it offers? I hear that PBLers are more comfortable when interacting with patients.

I guess it would take a lot more responsibility on part of the student and group to be in PBL. I am leaning towards the more traditional lecture base learning - but would like to hear what others have experienced.

I have just been accepted into a school that offers both programs so your opinions are really important.

Peter

Yo. There's been a few threads on this lately - I think in pre-DO. There were some pretty long responses. Do a search.
Here's one: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=229159

Thank you nicedream

I certaintly have some thinking to do

Members don't see this ad :)
CatsandCradles said:

Peter

Great question Pete, I wish I had asked about it before I got into PBL. Not that I regret it, not at all, I just wish I had a better plan going into it because it is unlike anything else I've ever done.

The short answer is some days I hate it, other days I love it. In my opinion, there is not enough structure in the program here (WVSOM) and the students tend to think that PBL means to do whatever the heck you want. Yes, we do get to study whatever topics we choose and go in as much or as little depth as we choose, but the freedom in the curriculum is sometimes taken advantage of and misinterpreted. For example, we submit our own "learning issues" to the faculty in order for them to write our test questions. Sometimes students want to sort of "protect" their GPA by submitting only very specific, easy questions so that the faculty can't try and trick them by asking a question that was not technically studied. And sometimes there is just an overall lack of enough learning issues to write a test that would cover the same amount of material as an SBL test would cover. So my advice would be to highly encourage your group members to take on as much material as humanly possible (and then some) and go into as much depth as you possibly can. You need to make yourself vulnerable to getting your butt handed to you just like any other SBL student, it is medical school after all! I wish our group had done a better job of that.

Second, make your own COMLEX study schedule/program outside of the group's learning issues, because there is no way that you will cover everything you need to cover just through case studies. There will be times when you want to look into something that is high yield for boards and the group doesn't even want to acknowledge it- so study it on your own.

I would do PBL again but I would go about it with these changes in mind. Good luck in your decision, I'm sure you will be successful in either track!

:thumbup: Hey Peter,

I am also at WVSOM and I love PBL. In fact, I can barely stand to sit in a lecture anymore now that I know how to look up information and process it fast. This is my personal preference. Now with that said, here are some advantages and disadvantages to PBL.

Advantages:

You learn by doing as you'll have actual cases to work through. You'll order tests, make differential diagnoses and weave your own tapestry of understanding over time. As such, you will develop a sense of clinical savvyness (is that a word? hehe) as you plow through these cases.

You are forced to discuss what you learn with your other 7 groupmates and as such you will be motivated to study. Other group members can fill in holes in your understanding if you don't get a particular topic.

One also gets a good deal of time out of class. (read: not sitting through lectures all the time) This is convenient as you can get your necessary stuff done (paying bills, gym, bank, grocery shop, etc.) However, it takes a great deal of responsbility to use your time wisely. It's still medical school and if you don't study, it'll catch up to ya. Use the flexibility wisely.

The group session teaches you effective communication skills you'll need in residency.

Of course the main draw of PBL is student directed learning. Even though you form learning issues as a group, you are free to study what you want in your time outside of class.

PBL has a beautiful way of weaving concepts from different systems together. As you go through cases, you'll begin forming a "Big picture" of how all systems in the body work together. It is quite nice.

Lots of time to study for boards :)

Disadvantages:

You run the risk of getting gunners in your class. A gunner is defined as someone who will trip others up in order to get the highest grade for themselves. Since PBL is a very tight knit group, there's a certain amount of drama that can come with it, especially if it is gunner centered. As a general guideline, I avoid drama at all costs, but it exists and one should be aware of it.

Group members aren't always going to agree with you. Subjects you may deem important might not be important to others. As such its up to you to fill in the holes in your learning yourself sometimes.

A PASS/FAIL system works ideally in PBL. :thumbup: It encourages comradere while still requiring mastery of the material. However, you'll find that most PBL programs have a numerical grading system in place, one that is highly subjective at times and is often not truly indicitative of an individual's performance. :thumbdown: I will say at WVSOM, the system has been very fair to me though. :thumbup: I've heard horror stories from other PBL programs though. :scared:

Temptation to slack off! You must be very self-motivated to do PBL. Otherwise you'll use all the downtime inbetween class meetings to slack off. It's not really that big of an issue for most people but it's there!

Anyway that's my point of view. I believe the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages. I am very happy with PBL.

This coming from someone who majored in computer science and knew very little about medicine and biology coming into medical school :D

Oh yeah, and Steve is like one of the best group members ever. His advice is good too.

If you have further specific questions, feel free to email me. Though know I have a 10 week block exam on thursday so I will be slow on replying. :p