Your personal experiences and opinions on UHS, AZCOM, and Western University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ordinaryguy

Everybody,

My niece has applied to UHS, AZCOM, and Western. She really likes these osteopathic medical schools. I was wondering what everybody's opinions and experiences are at these schools (i.e. pros/cons, first two years, last two years (clinical rotation), preparation, happiness, housing situation, location).

Thanks everybody for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

o.g.,

My impressions from a month and a half of AZCOM:

CLINICAL:
Really a spectacular school. I can't say much about the clinical aspect, as I haven't experienced much of it yet. They do, however, start us off right away in clinical training. We've been learning practical diagnosis (both OMM and traditional scope-based stuff) and are matched up with individual preceptors in the first year.

The preceptor-based learning continues throughout the four years. It has its ups and downs, from what I've been told, but if a student actively seeks participation, being matched up one-on-one with a doctor instead of being three rows deep in a teaching hospital while the residents get all the fun is a really tremendous advantage, and the main reason I chose AZCOM.

BASIC SCIENCES:
The basic sciences are well-taught but somewhat uneven as far as instructors go. Of the ten or so instructors between biochemistry, anatomy, and histology, there are two instructors whose classes are a bit substandard. Everything else is fantastic. Well-taught and highly integrated...professors sit in on one another's classes, even between departments in some cases. For example: the chair of the anatomy program has been attending the OMM classes, and makes a point of connecting the anatomy with its practical application. The same chair, beyond having the anatomy PhD, is also a physical therapist and so has an excellent perspective on the clinical relevance.

Biochemistry is extremely well-run also. We have what I think is an unusually strong emphasis on clinical application--at least two hours of lecture a week are devoted to clinical analysis. While some topics seem to be covered a bit superficially as a result, it seems like a good trade-off.

HOUSING and NEIGHBORHOOD:

Fantastic student housing, very reasonably priced. No food on campus yet, but the new cafeteria should take care of that, and there are plenty of fast-food restaurants nearby. A large percentage of the people not in student housing are in even nicer apartments right across the street. Lots of students have bought houses. Glendale is growing very quickly, and is going upscale--the football and hockey teams are here, and the Mariners/Padres spring training complex is six or seven miles away. Property values are skyrocketing, but one can still build a quality house cheaply. Glendale itself is on the strip-mallish side, but the metro Phoenix area is fantastic. Most every terrain imaginable is within a two-hour radius.

GENERAL HAPPINESS

Another major reason for my choosing AZCOM was the lack of unhappy students. Lots of people seem unhappy in med school. Though we do a bit of our own griping, I think students here are generally happier, more relaxed, and friendlier than at many other schools. This is probably a function of osteopathic schools in general, and also the high number of married students (I'd say it's probably in the 40% area or so). People are genuinely nice, and that makes med school a lot easier.

Let me know if you or your niece have any other questions about AZCOM. I'm sure you'll be getting more replies; the students here tend to be eager to talk about the school. It's a great place, and I can't see myself having gone anywhere else, osteopathic or otherwise.

I interviewed and was accepted at all three of those schools. I chose UHS for many reasons.

1. the new Genesis curriculum speaks for itself. There have been two classes before my class that have taken the boards so far. Not only did they they have a 97% pass rate, but the school as a whole did ABOVE the mean in EVERY single section! :clap:

2. the new Genesis curriculum is integrated- combining all subjects per section. This means that in a section such as Respiratory we get the biochem related to resp., genetics, anatomy, pharm, path, etc. This gives you a whole picture and a more clinical point of view. Every section incorporates all the sciences.

3. UHS is builiding a brand new research science building, funded in part by NIH. I have always had a hand in research, so i found this a plus.

4. I liked the flexibility with rotations. There are several core rotation sites all over the country, some at large centers and some at smaller centers. Some are also in KC if you want to stay here the entire 4 years.

5. In your 4th year you can rotate anywhere you want, except for 3 rotations which must be at the core site. This was important especially in planning for residency.

6. UHS offers a combined DO/MBA program, which is catered towards medicine, and has a schedule that is compatible with medical school.

7. I also chose this school because the students seemed truly happy here. They were friendly and would come up and talk to you. It had (and does have) a warm student friendly atomosphere. I didn't get this same impression with Western, but I did find the students outgoing and friendly at AZCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
OG.

I am a classmate of Luke's at AZCOM. I would have to say that he has done AZCOM justice. I really like the school and atmosphere. My experience is all that I had hoped for. The basic science is very complete. I have talked to friends at other schools and they don't seem to be getting as much as we are at AZCOM. I am sure that passing the boards will be no problem. Tell you neice good luck.

Kevin

Everyone,

My niece and I just wanted to thank everyone for their inputs in terms of opinions and experiences. I would like to wish all of you the best of luck in your medical careers.

Thanks!