Your Plan B??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
plan-b.jpg

HINT: Its probably A LOT cheaper in your schools health center pharmacy than it is a retail one!

Members don't see this ad.

Plan B = teaching high school biology, chemistry, and physics. It should be easy to get all the certifications and it isn't much more schooling (Master of Education). I've done my part as an undergrad and if I don't get into medical school, maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
50 bucks is alot for one fun night... if you add that to the 40 dollars you spent at the bars, the 10 on the cab ride, and the 2 dollars for the condom that performed about as well as you did on your MCAT

Onlyneedoneyes.
I saw your profile and it is awesome. Best wishes.

Onlyneedoneyes--- yeah with your scores, if you don't get in, you need some character evaluation! Your stats are astronomical.

Bunny fru fru--- that is the BIGGEST bunny i've ever seen. How'd you kill that thing? Elephant rifle? Oh, and you'll get in med school to... by sheer force. That's more application schools than ive ever seen... will cost a fortune!

Plan B = Smokejumper

I think this thread needs to divert its talk to the subject of that large rabbit.

I think this thread needs to divert its talk to the subject of that large rabbit.

I saw a show about it. some old dude selectively breeds large rabbits and over many generations, he has gotten rabbits that are like 4x the size of normal rabbits. they actually have trouble hopping normally. some people on tv were saying it was animal abuse, but the rabbit was really spoiled.

dude that is crazy. remember a year ago or two there was this kid who shot and killed a 1000 lb hog? that was epic.

dude that is crazy. remember a year ago or two there was this kid who shot and killed a 1000 lb hog? that was epic.

that was epic. it was just a little kid with a .500 S&W revolver. that's a lot of gun for a young dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
giant animals are clutch. and i remember how they were really angry about him destroying one of the rarest creatures on earth... but really what a cool catch.

his personal statement would OWN

50 bucks is alot for one fun night... if you add that to the 40 dollars you spent at the bars, the 10 on the cab ride, and the 2 dollars for the condom that performed about as well as you did on your MCAT
But that's the guy paying. Who said the guy paid for PlanB:smuggrin: jk

First of all, I'm glad you started this topic. I think having a plan B is a great idea, but if you really, really want to do medicine, then go for it. I kind of have two plan A's. Hear me out.

I am currently in pharmacy. The thing is, I got into two pharmacy programs, but one I got in at the very last minute. The initial pharmacy program I got into was a pharmacy school and although I thought pharmacy was my kinda career after digging high school chemistry, I put it aside and told myself I will spend my first two years thoroughly researching and deciding what's the right career for me since high school didn't give me a good look and feel of the real world. The school I decided to go, I was thinking about transferring out of it unless I really liked it. It turned out, on orientation day that I got into a pharmD program. I actually didn't know much about the pharmD program till I finally got in and started to see what pharmacy was really like. I've shadowed a retail pharmacist and am going to shadow a clinical pharmacist and am starting to really feel that pharmacy really isn't for me. Pharmacy is more orientated on drugs and pharmacology; if you like treating a diagnosis after knowing what it is, then pharmacy is right for you (head's up to anybody who is thinking about it). I'm surprised many of you didn't mention pharmD as a plan B, though it's a very good thing you didn't because pharmacy is a completely different career that relates to the same field. People make pharmacy and medicine an either-or thing, but they're not the same at all.

Anyway, I am starting to consider the possibility of transferring, but that would mean to spend the next two years making a final decision. I have been contemplating on doing medicine (it's been one of those "I wanted to be one ever since I was a kid" deal). But I'm having tons of thoughts about medicine. What I absolutely love about medicine, which is the reason why I wanted to do it since 7th grade, is the study behind it. I love science and I love being able to use it and apply it to specific problems. And the secondary reasons I would do medicine is the service involved. I love helping people. For many years I thought, what could be a better match? Then, I really got really into it this semester and started researching it. Man, in only a couple of months I feel like I know front and back about stuff I had no idea about. Medicine seems like a difficult career because of insurance companies involved, the prospect of malpractice, etc. People also complain about the long hours, the stress, the frustration. Many have told me that sometimes, in the middle of medical school, they question themselves about what exactly they got themselves into. My cousin, who went to school for more than 10 years, worked SO hard. She did two specialties and has finally been practicing for two years and absolutely hates her job. She wants to switch hospitals, but she seems to have second thoughts about what medicine actually entails. It's been such a frustrating decision for me to make because medicine seems SO interesting, yet, I'm not sure about the career itself, exactly.

Regardless, medicine is still on my "list of careers". I've made a list of careers to see which ones I may stick with or which ones I may phase out during these first few years of college. I'm thinking about doing a major in neuroscience/cognitive studies (if I end up liking human anatomy) and minoring in media, communications and Islamic studies (this is all indefinite, but it's just an idea for now). I'm thinking, if I really like the media studies and neuroscience combo, I could think about getting a phD and a masters perhaps in two totally different fields (like maybe a science phD and a humanities masters, etc.) I also am not too fond of the missing clinical aspect of a phD, but I think with certain phDs, you can have some clinical exposure.

If I really like medicine then, as far as volunteering or shadowing goes, I'd go for it. Besides these two possibilities, I'm also considering a JD/msw, an MD/PhD (I know it would kill, but we'll see), a pharmD/mph (if I stay in pharmacy), maybe MD/mph..and I don't remember what else. I'm still a freshman in college, so yeah dude, I'm gonna try and make the most out of my next couple of semesters.

Wow, A lot of writing. But I guess it does not hurt to have things in mind. I don't like making definite, particular plans because they always change at some point, so instead I make a few couple and see how I go with the flow.

Good luck to you all. If you float the undecided boat, feel free to join me (PM me, mate).

But that's the guy paying. Who said the guy paid for PlanB:smuggrin: jk

The guy HAS to pay if he's going to crush it up and put it in her cereal the next day.

Originally posted by FortheGood>>
Bunny fru fru--- that is the BIGGEST bunny i've ever seen. How'd you kill that thing? Elephant rifle? Oh, and you'll get in med school to... by sheer force. That's more application schools than ive ever seen... will cost a fortune!

I'm glad everyone likes my bunny photo!:laugh: But I didn't kill it; it's very much alive!
But seriously, Forthegood, that's obviously just a preliminary list of schools I'm considering. I'd like to wind up in the southeast somewhere, but I know I have to think outside the box when it comes to my odds of acceptance.

Last edited:
First of all, I'm glad you started this topic. I think having a plan B is a great idea, but if you really, really want to do medicine, then go for it. I kind of have two plan A's. Hear me out.

I am currently in pharmacy. The thing is, I got into two pharmacy programs, but one I got in at the very last minute. The initial pharmacy program I got into was a pharmacy school and although I thought pharmacy was my kinda career after digging high school chemistry, I put it aside and told myself I will spend my first two years thoroughly researching and deciding what's the right career for me since high school didn't give me a good look and feel of the real world. The school I decided to go, I was thinking about transferring out of it unless I really liked it. It turned out, on orientation day that I got into a pharmD program. I actually didn't know much about the pharmD program till I finally got in and started to see what pharmacy was really like. I've shadowed a retail pharmacist and am going to shadow a clinical pharmacist and am starting to really feel that pharmacy really isn't for me. Pharmacy is more orientated on drugs and pharmacology; if you like treating a diagnosis after knowing what it is, then pharmacy is right for you (head's up to anybody who is thinking about it). I'm surprised many of you didn't mention pharmD as a plan B, though it's a very good thing you didn't because pharmacy is a completely different career that relates to the same field. People make pharmacy and medicine an either-or thing, but they're not the same at all.

Anyway, I am starting to consider the possibility of transferring, but that would mean to spend the next two years making a final decision. I have been contemplating on doing medicine (it's been one of those "I wanted to be one ever since I was a kid" deal). But I'm having tons of thoughts about medicine. What I absolutely love about medicine, which is the reason why I wanted to do it since 7th grade, is the study behind it. I love science and I love being able to use it and apply it to specific problems. And the secondary reasons I would do medicine is the service involved. I love helping people. For many years I thought, what could be a better match? Then, I really got really into it this semester and started researching it. Man, in only a couple of months I feel like I know front and back about stuff I had no idea about. Medicine seems like a difficult career because of insurance companies involved, the prospect of malpractice, etc. People also complain about the long hours, the stress, the frustration. Many have told me that sometimes, in the middle of medical school, they question themselves about what exactly they got themselves into. My cousin, who went to school for more than 10 years, worked SO hard. She did two specialties and has finally been practicing for two years and absolutely hates her job. She wants to switch hospitals, but she seems to have second thoughts about what medicine actually entails. It's been such a frustrating decision for me to make because medicine seems SO interesting, yet, I'm not sure about the career itself, exactly.

Regardless, medicine is still on my "list of careers". I've made a list of careers to see which ones I may stick with or which ones I may phase out during these first few years of college. I'm thinking about doing a major in neuroscience/cognitive studies (if I end up liking human anatomy) and minoring in media, communications and Islamic studies (this is all indefinite, but it's just an idea for now). I'm thinking, if I really like the media studies and neuroscience combo, I could think about getting a phD and a masters perhaps in two totally different fields (like maybe a science phD and a humanities masters, etc.) I also am not too fond of the missing clinical aspect of a phD, but I think with certain phDs, you can have some clinical exposure.

If I really like medicine then, as far as volunteering or shadowing goes, I'd go for it. Besides these two possibilities, I'm also considering a JD/msw, an MD/PhD (I know it would kill, but we'll see), a pharmD/mph (if I stay in pharmacy), maybe MD/mph..and I don't remember what else. I'm still a freshman in college, so yeah dude, I'm gonna try and make the most out of my next couple of semesters.

Wow, A lot of writing. But I guess it does not hurt to have things in mind. I don't like making definite, particular plans because they always change at some point, so instead I make a few couple and see how I go with the flow.

Good luck to you all. If you float the undecided boat, feel free to join me (PM me, mate).

I was thinking of going to pharmacy school

Then I worked in a retail pharmacy

Ouch

sorry about your cousins realization after the fact, but I think even those people who volunteer and shadow and do clinicals before med school could also be in for a huge shock. Everybody is different, and what seems cool one day might not be so awesome when you do it yourself. Thats kind of why I get peeved about the 'prove it' aspects of med admissions.

I know the risks and the downfalls and I don't like to prove why I can and cannot do this - someday it may change just like your cousin and I envy people who are born to do anything but there really are no controls in long term high risk careers like medicine. Some guys love it and some hate it, and they all got accepted to medical school by proving it one way or another.

my 02

I dont understand one thing...why does everyone want to cure AIDS, why not cancer? I mean there are more people dying every year from cancer than AIDS for the past 10 years or so...
People lump a bunch of malignant proliferative cell disorders under the umbrella of cancer, but cancer, as a disease, is diverse and complicated.

cancer for all intents and purposes is 'cured' because we can remove it, destroy it and have it go into remission. aids on the other hand can only be taken care of by a truckload of drugs that only mitigate the effects and boost the immune system.

cancer is basically limited to understanding its genetic components (ie how it spreads and forms) and early detection methods.

if you cure aids, thats like curing polio all over again. just saying that cancer is really important but it doesnt have the same requirements for treatment as aids does.

So, i am posting this for someone I know (seriously, not me), and need advice!

current undergrad senior, applied this year, hasn't gotten in anywhere. I'm not sure why, but MCAT was good (~32), and GPA was decent (~3.4? from a good school) at the time of app.

What are the options now, assuming they're going to reapply. Is it worth reapplying again this summer ('09) with only the senior year grades to add on to the application?

What are the application deadlines like for masters, mph, post-bacc programs for matriculation in Fall '09? I assume you also need to take GRE, etc. Minimizing off-time is a big concern.

What would you do in this situation? Please help!

cancer is basically limited to understanding its genetic components (ie how it spreads and forms) and early detection methods.

You mean, kinda like HIV? You see, viruses actually CHANGE the genetic makeup of cells. Check out the new work on the rhinovirus in the November 2008 issue of American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.

A new study for colds... but for retroviridae it is well known and can be devastating.

So... really, both of these come down to early detection, and then genetics.

But yes, cancer is a classification where AIDS is a more specific disease from one cause (HIV--so long as were not subtyping!). Science has a way of ALWAYS being more complicated...