Your thoughts on this app cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KittySquared

Kitty chompers
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I know that this app cycle is far from being over, but the fate has been sealed for many of us. The journey to this application cycle took us many semesters, hours of hard work and a lot of struggle. We've come pretty far and I ask for those of you who are still waiting to continue to be patient, faithful and do not give up yet. This is meant to be a reflective thread on your thoughts, concerns, surprises, joys and utter bewilderment of this application cycle.

--

I'll start first - My grades and DAT scores were ready to go back in May. The only thing I had trouble with was coming up with a list of schools to apply to. When gauging the overall DAT scores, GPA and course requirements, I was almost certain that I was the right fit for a handful of schools. I was on the fence about a few schools on the list that I didn't know if I should have applied to, due to their competitive natures (applying to an OOS that wasn't particularly OOS friendly). Much to my disbelief, it was the last two schools that I had added to my list that had offered me rather early interviews in the cycle and soon after, a Dec acceptances. They were on the "reach school" side of the scale as well.

My safety schools were actually expensive, private and new institutions that recently opened up in the past 2 years or so. Surprisingly, I was swiftly rejected from them. Overall, I was quite surprised with how things turned out. I had read extensively about the schools that I applied to and looking at past trends, I felt that my predictions would be accurate, but I was thrown off. :cool:

Feel free to write and discuss amongst yourselves. Past and future applicants are also certainly more than welcome to post.

Members don't see this ad.

Kitty what do you think made you stand out on your application?

Also, which schools did you get into? :D I understand you might not want to share, but I'm so curious I had to ask anyway!

I remember that when I was applying, my all "safety" schools rejected me but my "good" and "reach" schools seemed to like me lol. There was a thread on here about a year ago regarding safety schools, but I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, I have come to believe that there is little actual evidence for the safety school. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I know that this app cycle is far from being over, but the fate has been sealed for many of us. The journey to this application cycle took us many semesters, hours of hard work and a lot of struggle. We've come pretty far and I ask for those of you who are still waiting to continue to be patient, faithful and do not give up yet. This is meant to be a reflective thread on your thoughts, concerns, surprises, joys and utter bewilderment of this application cycle.

--

I'll start first - My grades and DAT scores were ready to go back in May. The only thing I had trouble with was coming up with a list of schools to apply to. When gauging the overall DAT scores, GPA and course requirements, I was almost certain that I was the right fit for a handful of schools. I was on the fence about a few schools on the list that I didn't know if I should have applied to, due to their competitive natures (applying to an OOS that wasn't particularly OOS friendly). Much to my disbelief, it was the last two schools that I had added to my list that had offered me rather early interviews in the cycle and soon after, a Dec acceptances. They were on the "reach school" side of the scale as well.

My safety schools were actually expensive, private and new institutions that recently opened up in the past 2 years or so. Surprisingly, I was swiftly rejected from them. Overall, I was quite surprised with how things turned out. I had read extensively about the schools that I applied to and looking at past trends, I felt that my predictions would be accurate, but I was thrown off. :cool:

Feel free to write and discuss amongst yourselves. Past and future applicants are also certainly more than welcome to post.

My situation is similar to yours in that my reach school accepted me and my safeties either rejected me or put me on continuing review. As for my stats, my GPA was horrible, and my DAT was above average. I would say that this experience has proved to me that each school looks really into more than just GPA/DAT when reviewing an applicant. IN addition, presentation and professionalism during the interview is important as well. I am glad I was pleasantly surprised to get into a pretty decent school and rejected by so many schools I thought my GPA/DAT scores would get me an interview at :p.

Quick snap of my rej/int/acceptances
rej: ASDOH, MW-IL/AZ (well initially, but then after AU they sent me invitation for supp app), and many others
continuing review: all CA schools (rej from UCSF), i'm a cali res
Interview: roseman and UMich
Accepted UMich (roseman didnt respond yet)

So overall, I guess i'm glad I invested in applying to 17 schools in the end, because, who knows, I may have been invited to interview at some school far away from home (CA) and possibly got in. I never thought I was going to get a reply from UMich at all. And now, I'm so happy to be apart of their C/o 2017! :)

I hope everyone gets what they want in the end. Whether it be into any DS, or into their TOP schools or into a school fit just for them after they interview there! :thumbup:

Good thread. I didn't hear a peep from any of my safety schools, no interviews or rejections (probably coming..haha) I got into my number one choice plus an unexpected school which I just threw on my application last minute. I have average stats and gpa, this is my second cycle so I am happy that I can enjoy my Christmas stress free. :)

Kitty what do you think made you stand out on your application?

Also, which schools did you get into? :D I understand you might not want to share, but I'm so curious I had to ask anyway!
LOL absolutely nothing. Unlike most of SDN members, I did not score 99%ile on the DAT or went to some ivy league with a 4.0 GPA.

I didn't actually apply all that early - all my things were done in early to mid August ish as far as supplementals go. I'm still waiting to hear from some schools, in fact. I remember a particular adcom said this to me - I had a feeling I was going to get accepted when he said "We look for maturity in an applicant. Someone like you, with a lot of dental experience and a lot of dedication to your work shows that you're determined and aren't going to give up." We also talked about some realistic expectations of dentistry. When was asked what I saw myself doing 5 years after graduation, I said I am actually still getting established as a dentist and don't have some grandeur dream of opening up clinics all over underserved counries all over the world. Eventually I'd like to do what I can to help those who are in need, but in 5 years, I am still learning to be a good dentist. It's probably not that impressive of an answer, but he seemed to really enjoy what I said.

I remember that when I was applying, my all "safety" schools rejected me but my "good" and "reach" schools seemed to like me lol. There was a thread on here about a year ago regarding safety schools, but I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, I have come to believe that there is little actual evidence for the safety school. :thumbup:

I think safety schools are important for applicants who have a smaller chance to get into their top 3-5 schools. I think the effect is diluted on SDN because many of those people never really needed a safety school... they had a very reasonable chance to get into their top 5 schools. Add to this that many safety schools are extremely expensive.

Also, once you're into your school, asks your own admissions director about this. Schools don't like to interview students they think can easily get into other schools (and/or "reach schools") and would not attend their school due to location/COA. It's not always worth a west coast school's time to interview someone who is from the east coast, has a 3.9 GPA, 25 AA, and wrote on the secondary that they applied to Harvard, Penn, Columbia, Uconn, MD, USC. Obviously that is an extreme example. Last cycle, a large amount of OOS applicants were rejected from Indiana in July/August. The ones that called the school and asked why were told because they were OOS and didn't think they would attend over their own state school. Many asked to be considered, and I know some actually got interview after.

Quick snap of my rej/int/acceptances
rej: ASDOH, MW-IL/AZ (well initially, but then after AU they sent me invitation for supp app), and many others
continuing review: all CA schools (rej from UCSF), i'm a cali res
Interview: roseman and UMich
Accepted UMich (roseman didnt respond yet)
Lol the same 3 you mentioned rejected me swiftly back in Sepember and MWL-az just came in the mail yesterday. I called MW-IL to ask what were my shortcomings and they told me I should do a masters in bio and recommended their program. Then she said "oh wait, you already have a masters. I didn't even see this." Hahaha

Good thread. I didn't hear a peep from any of my safety schools, no interviews or rejections (probably coming..haha) I got into my number one choice plus an unexpected school which I just threw on my application last minute. I have average stats and gpa, this is my second cycle so I am happy that I can enjoy my Christmas stress free. :)
Hahaha I know what you mean. I'm planning 3 international trips and 2 are already set in stone. Cheers on unexpected interviews and acceptances lol.
Anyway, I have come to believe that there is little actual evidence for the safety school. :thumbup:
I now have a new theory about safety schools - they don't mean jack! :D

Goodness, you are all scaring me! Do state schools ever count as "safeties?" Because, well, some of my stats are above those of my state schools, but they're the schools I really want to attend! :) I'd just really rather graduate with as little debt as possible. Also, I hope this doesn't count as hi-jacking!

Goodness, you are all scaring me! Do state schools ever count as "safeties?" Because, well, some of my stats are above those of my state schools, but they're the schools I really want to attend! :) I'd just really rather graduate with as little debt as possible. Also, I hope this doesn't count as hi-jacking!

In my case, my state school was not a safety. So far, I have now gotten interviews at 9 of 12 schools applied to and my state school is one of the 3 I haven't heard back from. Its supposed to be really in-state friendly too:confused:. Also, the other 2 that I didn't hear back from have stats on the lower end of schools.

In your case, I believe you will get scholarships, if you interview well, so that will bring down the cost of going out of state anyways.

Glimmer you will no doubt get into state schools. I plan on attending a state school. I got into 2 state schools (one I am a resident) and another I am not a resident of. Stony Brook is fairly hard to get into because it ranks within the top 5 schools based on high GPA and DAT scores, but I got in. I also have an interview lined up with Buffalo, which I may cancel. It is also a state school. The other school I got into was UConn, which is also a state school. It is fairly hard to get into if you are OOS.

There really are no substantial scholarships around unless you are URM, unfortunately (on the east coast at least).

Biggest regret was not applying to UConn earlier. The acceptance letters weren't as gratifying as I thought they would be. The euphoria lasted for about a few minutes then they took a nose dive. Hopefully, I'll get to go through this again in another four years.

Biggest regret was not applying to UConn earlier. The acceptance letters weren't as gratifying as I thought they would be. The euphoria lasted for about a few minutes then they took a nose dive. Hopefully, I'll get to go through this again in another four years.
Oh you're gonna be one of those gunner junkies lol. It's the process that challenges but that in itself is also the reward, isn't it haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think safety schools are important for applicants who have a smaller chance to get into their top 3-5 schools. I think the effect is diluted on SDN because many of those people never really needed a safety school... they had a very reasonable chance to get into their top 5 schools. Add to this that many safety schools are extremely expensive.

Also, once you're into your school, asks your own admissions director about this. Schools don't like to interview students they think can easily get into other schools (and/or "reach schools") and would not attend their school due to location/COA. It's not always worth a west coast school's time to interview someone who is from the east coast, has a 3.9 GPA, 25 AA, and wrote on the secondary that they applied to Harvard, Penn, Columbia, Uconn, MD, USC. Obviously that is an extreme example. Last cycle, a large amount of OOS applicants were rejected from Indiana in July/August. The ones that called the school and asked why were told because they were OOS and didn't think they would attend over their own state school. Many asked to be considered, and I know some actually got interview after.

UConn liked me even though I was a west coast student... odd lol

What I think is funny is that the schools that you are unsure of, always seem to be the ones that like you, but the schools that you think you are a shoe-in never respond!... I believe this is called Tufts syndrome. It seems to happen to a lot of us. When I was applying last year, I applied to BU and Marquette but never heard a word from them.

What I think is funny is that the schools that you are unsure of, always seem to be the ones that like you, but the schools that you think you are a shoe-in never respond!... I believe this is called Tufts syndrome. It seems to happen to a lot of us. When I was applying last year, I applied to BU and Marquette but never heard a word from them.

I made up my list of schools to apply before I got my DAT scores. After I got my DAT scores, I expected to get interviewed at VCU, NYU, Maryland, Michigan, and UCSF. I was only 60% accurate.

Tufts syndrome. It seems to happen to a lot of us.
Please elucidate.

interested-cat-300x216.jpg

I made up my list of schools to apply before I got my DAT scores. After I got my DAT scores, I expected to get interviewed at VCU, NYU, Maryland, Michigan, and UCSF. I was only 60% accurate.

Same here. I submitted my app before I took the DAT, so I had a spectrum of schools based on their average class stats. I wish I knew what I was going to get on my DAT beforehand because I would have changed my list of schools lol :D

Please elucidate.

interested-cat-300x216.jpg

Tufts syndrome is also called yield protection. It is the idea that a school will not accept someone who has beyond adequate qualifications (i.e. "too qualified") for a specific school. A highly qualified student is quite likely to be accepted at multiple schools, and thus have the opportunity to attend a "better" school. The reason to avoid this scenario is because every school must accept more students than they have seats for because not all accepted students will matriculate. Said another way, there is no school that is everyone's first choice (so that everyone that is accepted will attend). Consequently, there is no reason to accept a student who is not expected to attend. This is especially true if the student does in fact matriculate with everyone else, causing the school to over enroll their class. To avoid this problem, a school can accept a body of students close to their normal range of qualifications. This will allow them to have a better idea of how many to accept based on their class size, along with what proportion are likely to attend. Doing this will exclude the overqualified student who has now just experienced the Tufts syndrome.

How much this happens, I am not really sure, but this is the basic principle of the idea. :)

Last edited:

I didn't mean it to be so cut and dry. There are many ways and reasons the schools attempt to weed out applicants who they don't think will attend if accepted.

But yea, Tufts syndrome...
Your Dean of Admissions I'm sure would answer all of these questions for you if you asked. I remember at the interview how in depth he got when explaining their admissions process and what goes on behind closed doors.

I didn't mean it to be so cut and dry. There are many ways and reasons the schools attempt to weed out applicants who they don't think will attend if accepted.

But yea, Tufts syndrome...
Your Dean of Admissions I'm sure would answer all of these questions for you if you asked. I remember at the interview how in depth he got when explaining their admissions process and what goes on behind closed doors.

I know - I was just adding to what you were saying about it being super variable :)

We have a pretty diverse class here at UConn, so I am assuming they are looking for both a strong student academically, but also someone who can add something unique to a student group. Every school is different I am sure. I'm totally speculating though lol. Maybe I will ask them if they do this though :D

A few private schools were my safeties. My two state schools were my number 1 choice.

Same here. I submitted my app before I took the DAT, so I had a spectrum of schools based on their average class stats. I wish I knew what I was going to get on my DAT beforehand because I would have changed my list of schools lol :D

Tufts syndrome is also called yield protection. It is the idea that a school will not accept someone who has beyond adequate qualifications (i.e. "too qualified") for a specific school. A highly qualified student is quite likely to be accepted at multiple schools, and thus have the opportunity to attend a "better" school. The reason to avoid this scenario is because every school must accept more students than they have seats for because not all accepted students will matriculate. Said another way, there is no school that is everyone's first choice (so that everyone that is accepted to attend). Consequently, there is no reason to accept a student who is not expected to attend. This is especially true if the student does in fact matriculate with everyone else, causing the school to over enroll their class. To avoid this problem, a school can accept a body of students close to their normal range of qualifications. This will allow them to have a better idea of how many to accept based on their class size, along with what proportion are likely to attend. Doing this will exclude the overqualified student who has now just experienced the Tufts syndrome.

How much this happens, I am not really sure, but this is the basic principle of the idea. :)

The premise seems true, plus the idea helps soothe your bruised ego when schools you thought you would hear from don't feel the same way:).

I know - I was just adding to what you were saying about it being super variable :)

We have a pretty diverse class here at UConn, so I am assuming they are looking for both a strong student academically, but also someone who can add something unique to a student group. Every school is different I am sure. I'm totally speculating though lol. Maybe I will ask them if they do this though :D

This tufts syndrome would explain me being wait listed at UMDNJ.

I feel like they didn't want to flat out reject me. And, they wanted to see if I was actually interested in their school. Again, maybe they didn't like me IDK.

Also, I feel like my interviews were male interviewers went much better than my interviews with females. The females write everything down. The males, not so much. Again, I only went on 5 interviews thus far so this is a limited sample size.

Funny how things seem to work out. I also did not get into my private "safety" school, and got into my reach OOS school. :) I played quite a risky game though by applying to only three schools and not even applying to my resident school. I wouldn't recommend fewer than five schools for anyone, unless they are chosen extremely wisely.

Congrats, everyone!

I got wait listed at my safety, as well as my other state school and an OOS. So all in all, it has been a pretty disappointing cycle thus far.

after i took my dat, i knew that my score was 'somewhat' competitive. i figured that+doing well in my masters program would make me a solid candidate. although, i didn't have any "safe" or "reach schools", i just read the adea guide religiously and called up a lot of schools and sent my app out based off of that.

i was fortunate enough to get a few pre dec interviews and a post dec one at my state school (which is prob for a WL spot but idc), so i can't complain. i am very fortunate to be in the position of choosing between a few schools. it has been a rough ride, but def. worth it in the end.

The premise seems true, plus the idea helps soothe your bruised ego when schools you thought you would hear from don't feel the same way:).

I think this is very true haha :D

I feel like they didn't want to flat out reject me. And, they wanted to see if I was actually interested in their school. Again, maybe they didn't like me IDK.

Also, I feel like my interviews were male interviewers went much better than my interviews with females. The females write everything down. The males, not so much. Again, I only went on 5 interviews thus far so this is a limited sample size.

lol, I never noticed that... interesting :)

UMDNJ is odd. They interviewed me last year with an 18AA (waitlisted) but not this year with a 20AA. Whateves.

UMDNJ is odd. They interviewed me last year with an 18AA (waitlisted) but not this year with a 20AA. Whateves.

I know. And, it was the only place I interviewed at where my interviewer gave me her card because she liked me so much without me asking. I second that whateves lol

Tufts syndrome is also called yield protection. It is the idea that a school will not accept someone who has beyond adequate qualifications (i.e. "too qualified") for a specific school. A highly qualified student is quite likely to be accepted at multiple schools, and thus have the opportunity to attend a "better" school. The reason to avoid this scenario is because every school must accept more students than they have seats for because not all accepted students will matriculate. Said another way, there is no school that is everyone's first choice (so that everyone that is accepted to attend). Consequently, there is no reason to accept a student who is not expected to attend. This is especially true if the student does in fact matriculate with everyone else, causing the school to over enroll their class. To avoid this problem, a school can accept a body of students close to their normal range of qualifications. This will allow them to have a better idea of how many to accept based on their class size, along with what proportion are likely to attend. Doing this will exclude the overqualified student who has now just experienced the Tufts syndrome.

Is this why Roseman didn't accept me? :(.... my GPA was low though... w/e. I like UMich better :p

I'm glad someone elaborated on this so-called Tuft's syndrome. I applied to nine schools and was very fortunate to get into the school of my choice, but I was so perplexed that my four "safety" schools have not given me any sort of notification. I would've really considered a few of them too...

Schools interview competitive applicants is not... completely true.

It should be more correct to say that schools interview competitive applicants whom they think is likely to attend if and when accepted. ;)

I got wait listed at my safety, as well as my other state school and an OOS. So all in all, it has been a pretty disappointing cycle thus far.
Please stay patient. The cycle is far from over. I know some dental students who didn't interview until late Jan, Feb and even March.

UConn is highly selective of OOS students, and your stats were nothing short of absolutely amazing, so this really shows you the Tufts syndrome.

Schools interview competitive applicants is not... completely true.

It should be more correct to say that schools interview competitive applicants whom they think is likely to attend if and when accepted. ;)
Yup. You see UNLV despite accepting a fair amount of OOS students, these OOS students are almost all from west coast more or less. I do believe in a regional preference as well. What kind of ties I have to the city was always brought up at my interviews.

Tufts syndrome is also called yield protection. It is the idea that a school will not accept someone who has beyond adequate qualifications (i.e. "too qualified") for a specific school. A highly qualified student is quite likely to be accepted at multiple schools, and thus have the opportunity to attend a "better" school. The reason to avoid this scenario is because every school must accept more students than they have seats for because not all accepted students will matriculate. Said another way, there is no school that is everyone's first choice (so that everyone that is accepted will attend). Consequently, there is no reason to accept a student who is not expected to attend. This is especially true if the student does in fact matriculate with everyone else, causing the school to over enroll their class. To avoid this problem, a school can accept a body of students close to their normal range of qualifications. This will allow them to have a better idea of how many to accept based on their class size, along with what proportion are likely to attend. Doing this will exclude the overqualified student who has now just experienced the Tufts syndrome.

You know I really hope that was why I never heard back from 5 of the 10 schools I applied to. Its so much more gratifying to think that I was ignored by half my schools because I was overqualified....to think that I was not considered because my application wasn't up to snuff is so totally the opposite of what I would like to feel. :laugh:

Seriously though I would love to know how true this is. I can't complain since I got in to one place (and one that was definitely in my top choices), but if I hadn't managed to get in at the competitive places and got ignored at the others I'd be pretty unhappy.

I'd just like to say that I'm glad I don't have to worry about this cycle stuff anymore and sincerely hope all those still in the process get their stuff resolved ASAP.

UConn is highly selective of OOS students, and your stats were nothing short of absolutely amazing, so this really shows you the Tufts syndrome.

You would think his state school would at least send him an acceptance instead giving him the cold Tuft syndrome.

You would think his state school would at least send him an acceptance instead giving him the cold Tuft syndrome.
I suppose it's better to say "It's not you, it's me" rather than "I'm just not interested." Or is it? :oops:

Rejected by LECOM, but interviewing with UPenn next month....thats bewildering! Also accepted to the other 2 PA schools and about 3 other programs oos

Same thing happened to me. Continuing review at Buffalo (instate) but acceptence at UConn oos.:prof:

I wish I had applied for UConn... I probably had a chance for an interview at least. I heard it was not OOS friendly so I didn't bother. Oh well.

It really was an awesome school. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

If I didn't get into my state school, I would definitely be going there.

I'm OOS as well.

I wish I had applied for UConn... I probably had a chance for an interview at least. I heard it was not OOS friendly so I didn't bother. Oh well.

Same here. UConn has some characteristics of an Ivy League with P/F and medical curriculum but still produces good GPs. I should've at least applied as well but I was also hesitant because they aren't out-of-state or non-New England state friendly.

Congrats on getting acceptance to SB... It truly is a great school. SB is another school that I didnt apply since Im OOS lol

I think SB is totally OOS hostile lol They made us bring like a million items proving we are NYers. We had to also fill out a couple forms about our residency.

You saved your money not applying there if your not a NYer. I think they accept like 2 OOS.

I think SB is totally OOS hostile lol They made us bring like a million items proving we are NYers. We had to also fill out a couple forms about our residency.

You saved your money not applying there if your not a NYer. I think they accept like 2 OOS.

Wow... well I shouldve applied and said since my parents are NY residents, I'm half a NYer lol...

Rejected by LECOM, but interviewing with UPenn next month....thats bewildering! Also accepted to the other 2 PA schools and about 3 other programs oos
I got rejected by NYU recently. Not gonna lie, it's a little bit disappointing. :oops:
My ego needs chocolate and ice cream.

I got rejected by NYU recently. Not gonna lie, it's a little bit disappointing. :oops:

Oh, I'll join you on that one, I got NYU's rejection via snail mail yesterday afternoon. :(, but all-in-all. I'm already decided on UMich. :p So any rejection from hear on isn't too bad at all. I cant afford NYU's tuition and living expenses anyways.

Dont get bummed out. These schools are all over the place this app cycle, we'll never understand their thought process. NY resident? Where did you get accepted