Your Thoughts...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HabeasCorpus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a patien comes into your office: 16YO female complaining of recent dizziness and sudden numbness in her left arm from her shoulder to her elbow. Says it only lasted a little while but also felt pain in that region earlier that day. Says the symptoms have only recently become noticeable. Other facts: frequently forgets things, and complains of trouble seeing with her left eye. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

HabeasCorpus said:
So a patien comes into your office: 16YO female complaining of recent dizziness and sudden numbness in her left arm from her shoulder to her elbow. Says it only lasted a little while but also felt pain in that region earlier that day. Says the symptoms have only recently become noticeable. Other facts: frequently forgets things, and complains of trouble seeing with her left eye. Thoughts?

Uh, It looks like someone is trolling for medical advice. This person needs to see a pediatrician ASAP. If it were my daughter, I would take her to the emergency room, if I couldn't get her into see the Doc in the clinic. A good comprehensive neurological exam is necessary to narrow the symptoms and a better history too.

Ed

MS, malingering, some other weird neuro thing.

Potenitally interesting case...of course I'm sure there's more to her history than what you've provided, but a few ideas (the differential is vast) to ponder:
MS---I've seen several patients present similarly. Many had recent viral illness.
Cardiac---young people, and females in particular rarely present with the classic symptoms, so anything that even remotely smells like ischemia, should get at minimum an ECG.
C-spine---when you have issues with the arms, examine the neck.
Musculoskeletal---nerve impingement seconary to traumatic shoulder injury, over-use injury, etc.

I'll leave the million other potential causes for the gang to list...