Your valuable opinions about options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jollybg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, aside from trying to get my prerequisites completed, I've been asking PTs of various specialties and years as... regarding if the school you attend for such matters that much.. The typical answer I get is no. As long as you pass the exam you should be fine in this field. I'm working on a second career so time and money is pretty important. This got me thinking about options regarding schools I can attend and become eligible to take the NPTE right after graduating. These options include attending universities abroad. There's an option to enroll in a program, complete the program within 3 years, with similar curriculum to most of the U.S. schools, and only cost $5k for the whole program, not including room/board and meals. The only problem, if its considered a problem at all, is that you graduate with a BPST, not MPT or DPT.

My question to you knowledgeable folks, those attending or recently graduated, is the relevancy of a BPST as opposed to MPT or DPT.. With the transition to DPT of programs here in the U.S., is BPST less relevant? How often do you find job postings requesting MPT or DPT specifically? Or are all the other people I've spoken to correct in saying the it really doesn't matter given that you've passed the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Jollybg,

I moved your thread to the pre-PT section. We are trying to create a definitive line between issues related to current PT students and practicing professionals versus those related to incoming(pre-PT) students.

To answer you question, I think it is a very tricky situation. At this point in time, it really does not matter whether one has a BSPT, MPT, or DPT. I have a sneeking suspicion(mind you only speculation) that this will change. There are no accredited BSPT programs in the US any longer, and there are only 7 MPT programs which will either transition to the DPT or fall of the map. So in the next several years, I doubt you will be able to find a physical therapy program that does not require Doctoral training. So if you plan on practicing as a PT for at least 15-20yrs after you finish the pre-reqs and PT school, you would be a BSPT in a sea of DPT graduates This may, yet may not pose a problem for job opportunities/competitiveness is the near and distant future should you decide to practice in the U.S.

I totally understand your concern about debt and the immediacy in which you would like to matriculate through a program; however I would try to consider the short and long term implications. I doubt that any student or professional could give you a definitive answer about your practice rights with a BSPT in the future. This is not only because you will have the BSPT but also because you graduated from an international program.

I have seen a number of job postings that state, "we prefer MPT or DPT candidates." That said, I have seen even more(exponentially more) that say "candidate must be educated at the BSPT level or higher." With the APTA's Vision 2020 it is still unclear how the PT landscape is going to look over the next decade.

Recently, aside from trying to get my prerequisites completed, I've been asking PTs of various specialties and years as... regarding if the school you attend for such matters that much.. The typical answer I get is no. As long as you pass the exam you should be fine in this field. I'm working on a second career so time and money is pretty important. This got me thinking about options regarding schools I can attend and become eligible to take the NPTE right after graduating. These options include attending universities abroad. There's an option to enroll in a program, complete the program within 3 years, with similar curriculum to most of the U.S. schools, and only cost $5k for the whole program, not including room/board and meals. The only problem, if its considered a problem at all, is that you graduate with a BPST, not MPT or DPT.

My question to you knowledgeable folks, those attending or recently graduated, is the relevancy of a BPST as opposed to MPT or DPT.. With the transition to DPT of programs here in the U.S., is BPST less relevant? How often do you find job postings requesting MPT or DPT specifically? Or are all the other people I've spoken to correct in saying the it really doesn't matter given that you've passed the exam?

You're asking the wrong question. The relevancy of the BS vs the MS or DPT doesn't matter as much to you as being able to get licensed in the USA to allow you to practice as a PT. That can be quite difficult. My limited understanding of the prodcess involves a review of your PT school curriculum and a comparison of it and the cirriculum of a PT school here in the states. If there are any areas where your education is considered deficient, you will need to take additional course work in these areas prio to even being allowed to take the National Phhysical Therapy Examination.

https://www.fsbpt.org/ForCandidatesAndLicensees/NonUSEducated/index.asp

The PTs i've asked personally are slightly older and have been practicing for at least 10 years. I went to this forum to get a new perspective from students and new graduates. The international schools I've been looking at are some what recognized for NPTE-i eligibility, which is the new test given to these graduates of these certain schools. These schools are in one of the countries listed in that controversial debacle regarding cheating as far as having an advantage for the NPTE. Hence, the new NPTE-i revision. So technically, the graduates are recognized and are able to take the test. Also, comparing curriculum to those schools in the U.S., they are pretty similar in set up and coursework.

Again, I'm just considering my options here. I'm sure I'll find a program that will fit my liking and that I'm comfortable paying for. Hopefully, I'll be able to finished the remainder of my prerequisites (biology I/II, Chemistry I/II, and Physics I/II). Most likely, I'll end up in a school here in the U.S., but you really can't beat $5k for an entire program with eligibility to take the NPTE.