You're in the wrong occupation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Facebook has been around for 11 years, most of the people taking that survey have worked there for a couple years, of course they don't hate it yet. They've also seen unprecedented growth over that time period, wait til FB hits a wall and see how much people love it then. One day FB will be AOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Facebook has been around for 11 years, most of the people taking that survey have worked there for a couple years, of course they don't hate it yet. They've also seen unprecedented growth over that time period, wait til FB hits a wall and see how much people love it then. One day FB will be AOL.

Most people are already starting to use it less, I barely look at it anymore because it's full of advertising

Reactions: 1 user
Facebook employees have a 96% job satisfaction rate:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/facebook-employees-happy_us_56d7049ae4b0871f60ed564f

Meanwhile, ER docs have a more than 50% burn out rate.

Not a fair comparison. It would make more sense to compare the entire specialty of EM to the entire tech startup scene. Facebook is just one company (although a big one) so it would make the most sense to compare it to one group, hospital or medical system. I am sure we can find one group/hospital/system where EM docs have >90% job satisfaction rate (from what I hear, Kaiser comes to mind). Conversely, if you look at the whole startup tech scene where >95% of startups fail, I am sure the job satisfaction rate is much, much lower.

Reactions: 1 users
Not a fair comparison. It would make more sense to compare the entire specialty of EM to the entire tech startup scene. Facebook is just one company (although a big one) so it would make the most sense to compare it to one group, hospital or medical system. I am sure we can find one group/hospital/system where EM docs have >90% job satisfaction rate (from what I hear, Kaiser comes to mind). Conversely, if you look at the whole startup tech scene where >95% of startups fail, I am sure the job satisfaction rate is much, much lower.

Haha, I knew someone would tell me the flaw in my comparison. I was posting this as a semi-joke to begin with.

I cancelled my FartBook account in my first year of residency. I could go on a gigantic rant about how FartBook is terrible, but I won't. I will if people put me up to it.

Edit: I remember posting on here once upon a time about how at most concerts/sports events/etc that I attended, that my progress was inevitably impeded by some mouthbreather who was too busy posting their selfie to fartbook and updating their 'status' to realize that they were seriously in the way.

To that end I remain. Rant already over.

I cancelled my FartBook account in my first year of residency. I could go on a gigantic rant about how FartBook is terrible, but I won't. I will if people put me up to it.

Edit: I remember posting on here once upon a time about how at most concerts/sports events/etc that I attended, that my progress was inevitably impeded by some mouthbreather who was too busy posting their selfie to fartbook and updating their 'status' to realize that they were seriously in the way.

To that end I remain. Rant already over.

I've been off of FB for a couple years.

What's interesting is that my friend at FB says that they know FB sucks and are really focusing on other things, i.e. Instagram, virtual reality, etc.

I've been off of FB for a couple years.

What's interesting is that my friend at FB says that they know FB sucks and are really focusing on other things, i.e. Instagram, virtual reality, etc.

I wonder if they can figure out a way to stop getting FB'ers to be so narcissistic and self-centered. THAT'd be useful.

I wonder if they can figure out a way to stop getting FB'ers to be so narcissistic and self-centered. THAT'd be useful.

Narcissism is the key to FB's success: people posting their own pictures, about their own status updates, their life accomplishments, etc.

Narcissism is the key to FB's success: people posting their own pictures, about their own status updates, their life accomplishments, etc.

That's the concept that drives me nuts. This whole "me" generation just kills me. Our nation would be a better place if everyone didn't believe that they were truly exceptional.

There's a great blog post on a site called "Wait, but why?!" that illustrates this perfectly. I think its called "Why Millennials are so unhappy", or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Comparing two different fields with different personalities/different status/different places in life is crazy.

If you told those FB workers making 50K a year that they will now make 300K+ a yr then you will see that 95% shoot up.

Tell EM docs that they will now be making 50K as FB workers, you will see that satisfaction go down to 1%.

Seriously, who here would trade what we do to be FB employees at 1/6 the salary?

Count me out.

Comparing two different fields with different personalities/different status/different places in life is crazy.

If you told those FB workers making 50K a year that they will now make 300K+ a yr then you will see that 95% shoot up.

Tell EM docs that they will now be making 50K as FB workers, you will see that satisfaction go down to 1%.

Seriously, who here would trade what we do to be FB employees at 1/6 the salary?

Count me out.

I was semi-kidding when I posted this.

But, salaries at facebook are not bad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-packets-revealed-Even-interns-cashed-up.html

Obviously depends on what you do there.

Anyways I realize my initial post is misleading/not scientifically accurate / not a double blinded test, etc etc

Count me out.
Except they don't make 50k. More like 135k/.

Plus free food and free haircuts.

EDIT: My friend works at FB. He makes six figures, and absolutely loves his job... way more than I love mine. N=1 I know. Or perhaps not...

I have no clue what the 135k avg is based on. Is it mostly senior/high level/well educated workers or does it include the secretaries, housekeeping, etc?

Regardless, I would say that not many EM docs would trade their "High stress Job" for 135k/hr working in some of the most expensive places to live.

I know I would not. But then again, I don't think my job is particularly stressful or difficult.

I used to be in the field. I even started but dropped out of a PhD in computer science at a prestigious university. I sort of regret it in that I like the whole geek culture and miss it sometimes. But when I reflect on it, I have to admit, it's not like computer science was always a bed of roses either. I know a few computer scientists who now look longingly at medicine and wish they had pursued it. Medicine overall is more rewarding from the standpoint of job security and salary and (even for geeks!) people.

I used to be in the field. I even started but dropped out of a PhD in computer science at a prestigious university. I sort of regret it in that I like the whole geek culture and miss it sometimes. But when I reflect on it, I have to admit, it's not like computer science was always a bed of roses either. I know a few computer scientists who now look longingly at medicine and wish they had pursued it. Medicine overall is more rewarding from the standpoint of job security and salary and (even for geeks!) people.

That's true. From a job security standpoint, EM is golden. I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side.

Another bit of n=1 anecdata. My friend landed a job with FB (which is actually rather hard, they're very selective) in menlo park. She's got a masters, nice 90k salary starting but the housing there is ~$1800 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment.

20 yrs ago, I got my Computer/biomedical engineering degree at a top university. I was offered one of the most prestigious interns during my 3rd yr and could have essentially worked in most companies after. I decided to go to med school.

I do not regret it one bit. I work much less now than my engineering counterparts and have less stress. I leave my job at work. They take it home many days.

Another bit of n=1 anecdata. My friend landed a job with FB (which is actually rather hard, they're very selective) in menlo park. She's got a masters, nice 90k salary starting but the housing there is ~$1800 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment.

90K. That is 60K after all of the Cali taxes.
That is 5k/mo
- 1800/mo rent
- 300/mo phone, internet, TV
- 200/mo utilities
- 500/mo car payment
- 2000/mo food & entertainment

That leaves a grand total of $200/mo for everything else. I didn't include school loan, clothes, etc.

Where can I sign up for this great gig at FB? I would be more stressed out living paycheck to paycheck