YOUTUBE VIDEO on application?!?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Broccoli Industry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just put on your application you like fitness and that you like cinematography. If they want to know more, they will ask in an interview and then you will have something great to talk about. Putting down I have a YouTube video with a million views will seem... odd...

Also there is no way having a huge subscriber base on YouTube will make up for a weak amount of volunteering, research or any of the more traditional cookie cutter ECs so keep that in mind.

Think of these kind of things like an ace you can pull out to talk about during interviews so people remember you and think fondly about you because of how passionate/unique you were.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it is unique and interesting and an application booster. It does help describe your interests and character. Helping other people get Fit is a worthy goal for a doctor. Do you have some volunteering and shadowing and or research? If not then I think you want to work on that for medical school. I wouldn't specifically worry about expanding or monetizing your YouTube base if MD is your goal. I do think that you have an asset for your application. When the time comes just use good judgment in how and where you lead with your interests so that you are seen as well rounded.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Just put on your application you like fitness and that you like cinematography. If they want to know more, they will ask in an interview and then you will have something great to talk about. Putting down I have a YouTube video with a million views will seem... odd...

Also there is no way having a huge subscriber base on YouTube will make up for a weak amount of volunteering, research or any of the more traditional cookie cutter ECs so keep that in mind.

Think of these kind of things like an ace you can pull out to talk about during interviews so people remember you and think fondly about you because of how passionate/unique you were.
Disagree with this poster. I think if done tactfully you can absolutely talk about your experience and link the video.

I agree with the above poster. Just make sure that the video is as professional as possible (no unprofessional songs, actions, or swearing). I think you can talk about as much of the YouTube part as you want as long as you present it as having encouraged you to do XX, not just that it built your ego or something.

I do agree that this will not substitute for nonexistent ECs in other areas, but you already knew that.

I've yet to this done in a way that has helped the applicant.
To begin, the evaluators have to review the submitted link.
This adds significantly to the length of time it takes to complete the evaluation and many (if not all) will resent this.
The reviewer may not have an intrinsic interest in your passion. Some may even find it narcissistic (or some other less desirable trait).
Minor elements that you may not have noticed may be what they focus on.

In summary, you may certainly list it in your activities, but I cannot recommend the link.

Reactions: 9 users
Maybe this is a good topic for the secondary app questions that ask about extra activities. You could potentially describe the details without putting the link.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply!

I do have substantial "cookie cutter ECs". I've coauthored three peer reviewed specialty journals (IF~4), volunteered at free clinics, veterans affairs etc. and shadowed multiple specialties. I just don't have anything unique yet (which the T10s seem to look for).

The feedback I've gotten on the video so far has been incredibly positive and most people see it as "inspirational" and "motivational", rather narcissistic, but I understand your point.

Would becoming sponsored as an athlete by a fitness company or including a modeling portfolio help? I do spend a lot of time on fitness (hobby) and nearly everyone tells me I've reached an extraordinary/incredible level and I am wondering if there is any way I can include it on my application to a deeper extent than just saying "oh I workout (which everyone does btw)".

***Also people tell me I certainly don't give off a doucebag, narcissistic vibe. I'm thinking it has to do with my face and ethnicity. Maybe this is a factor?
I'm sure your individuality will come through in the application without the video.
If you find an application that seems to ask for such an addition, go right ahead. I can't imagine there will be many. Tell us if you find one, though! My screeners really didn't care for them, too snowflakey...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you'd "wow" your way into a top 10 seat because of a youtube video
Def worth including your fitness stuff on app but wouldn't look at the vid as some kind of distinguishing super neat EC

Mike Chang's 6 pack shortcuts?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
You can definetly make this an asset to your app with out including the link. I listed bodybuilding as a major hoby, I think the way I described it (relating it to taking control of my health rather than solely getting buff) made it seem less narcissistic.

Ps. I would use a different term than bodybuilding. It makes me think of ... wait for it....

ImageUploadedBySDN1498071947.593419.jpg

Last edited: