You’ve been made, all 10 of you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foot_spy

Reaction score
You’re totally the reason why, not the salary to debt ratio the profession is producing 😂. Read both attachments.

89685ED1-DCE3-412A-9689-A2C69DE409E9.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• C6AFCA99-F9BD-4015-B912-5BD4379FB37B.jpeg
    C6AFCA99-F9BD-4015-B912-5BD4379FB37B.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yeah, already in stickied thread... my response is there.

Very interesting a cert board would take a stand on that (apps is realm of pod schools, CPME, AACPM, APMA, etc).

Then again, with ancient history and recent events, it's sadly not too surprising. One's gotta get those bad blood issues addressed while they can... first the board that didn't want them, probably residencies who wouldn't interview them... maybe some guy who beat them out for a grade school baseball starting spot or a girl who wouldn't dance with them back in junior high is in the crosshairs next? :lol:

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, hadn’t seen it. Apologies. Funny enough, never been on here until I received that email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, hadn’t seen it. Apologies. Funny enough, never been on here until I received that email.
Welcome.

Its amusing to see us being trashed as an anonymous cohort when the best responses to Doug Richie's original post on linkedin were from members of this forum.

Anyway. Our posts are not misinformation. Saying as much is just the profession burying its head in the sand.

That said. I look forward to our new members showing up to set things straight. Perhaps they can confirm for us how much our schooling costs or what they think an associate should be paid.

I welcome them to come here for open dialogue.

I plead you guys to be as accurate and polite as you can in your corrections so we can continue keeping these forums open.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Haha what is the misinformation? I’ve seen and heard of so many 80k, 90k associate offers it’s sickening.

This is so pathetic. Podiatry is a joke.
It will probably be up to ABPM board of directors to decide when enough nonsense and alienation is enough. Every organization can police and keep their own in check.

I really doubt the numerous pointed emails and statements from ABPM saying "we ____" "we ____" "we ____" really represents the whole group's desire to take on the world. The CAQ stuff reception from all major podiatry orgs spoke for itself. All of this trying to widen ABPM boundaries and step on various entities (now SDN???) absolutely reeks of personal grudges to me, but I guess you never really know.

Agree100% on welcoming any new members, civil discourse. More practicing docs = more ideas.

I am a regular poster. I am not disgruntled. And to correct the ABPM post in their email, there are NOT an abundance of good jobs. The majority of jobs for the foreseeable future will be predatory in nature. It’s disheartening to be labeled as such when that is false. Doug Richie really should be more accurate is his reporting but also sad ABPM took his word for it when he’s been out of practice for years and peddled an AFO that is not proprietary

Reactions: 7 users
It's elementary to blame a not-for-profit place like SDN than to fix internal issues within the profession like standard curriculum, residency training, and a fixed income after graduation that reflects the seven years of training. These combined will drain the applicant pool because today's applicants have other options.

Reactions: 10 users
I am regretful to say that given ABPMs excessive email spam, I will be forced to let lapse my ABPM with special CAQ in total toenail replacement surgery. Even though maintaining my prestigious membership has been free through the hospital, I feel like I should save them some money.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Whatever beef you guys have between each other, please keep it cool.

I do not want opposite parties spamming the report button on each other.
Present the facts and hold your ad hominems. You need to play it smart if you want to keep presenting your side of the argument.

I want BOTH of your opinions on here without having to ban someone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am regretful to say that given ABPMs excessive email spam, I will be forced to let lapse my ABPM with special CAQ in total toenail replacement surgery. Even though maintaining my prestigious membership has been free through the hospital, I feel like I should save them some money.
Dude, don't do it. Based on your frequent mentions of your skill set, I believe you are the pre-eminent Total Toenail Replacement surgeon. Our profession and the greater society would be abt a significant loss. I plead with you to reconsider.

This was his response to a poster on salaries on a LinkedIn thread started by Doug Richie. Kind of passive aggressive for someone who is the president of the illustrious ABPM. Pretty much 100% false as well.

What’s false?

I’m sorry you hate your profession. It seems like not the right place for you. No one is inhibiting your free speech.

I made the profession aware of this forum and the inaccuracies on it. We asked the profession to register and comment. That is my free speech.

Who would argue with more perspectives and posters?

I personally disagree with anticompetitive speech and behavior. Maybe someone out there is a better surgeon or business person than you (or me). They should be given the chance to go into this wonderful profession and make a difference.

On the wall in my academic office hangs a quote, “Life isn’t about finding yourself, it’s about creating yourself”. You can create your own path in podiatry. That’s what’s great about the profession. That’s what I teach my students, residents, fellows, and colleagues.

ABPM will continue to be a leader in board certification and the profession. We take our responsibility of protecting the public seriously and we also believe we can do it in a fair and transparent manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Okay...
We welcome discourse.

But there is a difference between organically coming on here to learn more and discuss things versus gathering reinforcements to push your own narrative.

I do not want to think you are malicious enough to do that.

• Love
We welcome discourse.

But there is a difference between organically coming on here to learn more and discuss things versus gathering reinforcements to push your own narrative.

This is exactly what is happening.

Reactions: 1 users
We welcome discourse.

I know you’re a moderator and I respect your role and at the same time I don’t envy your position, but making practicing podiatrists aware of this forum and asking more people to register and become mentors is not pushing our narrative. We sent our first email out to our entire list of 7000+ DPMs indiscriminately. They can post their own experiences and opinions. Hopefully that remains welcomed. I appreciate what you do.

"...Disgruntled practicing podiatrists..."

Not me... I love my job and am very blessed. I love my career choice as well. I think it's a good thing that we (SDN posters) scrutinize the job market... it's so darn toxic!

Heck, I recently just spoke to an old coresident who was offered 90k as an associate for a large podiatry group... 90k!!?? May as well become a traveling nurse.

Prospective students need to know what they're getting in to with all the debt. If they review all the good, the bad and the ugly, and they still choose to pursue podiatry because of their interest/drive, good for them! I wish them the best, hope they get paid their worth (ex. MGMA) and welcome them as a colleague.

Podiatry is a wonderful profession, it's just not for everyone.

I am a regular poster. I am not disgruntled. And to correct the ABPM post in their email, there are NOT an abundance of good jobs. The majority of jobs for the foreseeable future will be predatory in nature. It’s disheartening to be labeled as such when that is false. Doug Richie really should be more accurate is his reporting but also sad ABPM took his word for it when he’s been out of practice for years and peddled an AFO that is not proprietary
Just to clarify the misinformation in your post: I retired from clinical practice in 2019. Over the past 3 years I have: Written the opening chapter for the 5th Edition of McGlamry's Foot and Ankle Surgery, written and published an entire textbook on pathomechanics of foot and ankle pathologies for Springer/Nature, published 2 peer reviewed scientific articles, lectured at 5 major scientific meetings and participated in 6 webinars for podiatric residency programs around the country. Question for Wakalflock 88: What have you been doing in your own professional life during this same time period? Not sure what "proprietery' AFO's you prescribe? FYI The Richie Brace is protected by a US Trademark and two US Patents. Not a "proprietary" brace? BTW: I do not "peddle" anything. I have 20 major distributors. Finally, and most important please clarify the the so-called mis-reporting in my blog. All of the data is carefully and accurately referenced, especially the admissions data from AACPM. Did you actually review and verify before making the unfounded allegation?

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I know you’re a moderator and I respect your role and at the same time I don’t envy your position, but making practicing podiatrists aware of this forum and asking more people to register and become mentors is not pushing our narrative. We sent our first email out to our entire list of 7000+ DPMs indiscriminately. They can post their own experiences and opinions. Hopefully that remains welcomed. I appreciate what you do.
This is a fair response.

We will continue to monitor.

We appreciate both you and CutswithFury on this forum and do not want to lose either.

Reactions: 2 users
What’s false?

I’m sorry you hate your profession. It seems like not the right place for you. No one is inhibiting your free speech.

I made the profession aware of this forum and the inaccuracies on it. We asked the profession to register and comment. That is my free speech.

Who would argue with more perspectives and posters?

I personally disagree with anticompetitive speech and behavior. Maybe someone out there is a better surgeon or business person than you (or me). They should be given the chance to go into this wonderful profession and make a difference.

On the wall in my academic office hangs a quote, “Life isn’t about finding yourself, it’s about creating yourself”. You can create your own path in podiatry. That’s what’s great about the profession. That’s what I teach my students, residents, fellows, and colleagues.

ABPM will continue to be a leader in board certification and the profession. We take our responsibility of protecting the public seriously and we also believe we can do it in a fair and transparent manner.

There isn’t really anything particularly inaccurate on this forum. Most of us are 1-5 years out and have been through the job process. A majority of pod jobs available are these garbage predatory 100k private practice gigs that we have to sift through before we get to a job that pays us like a doctor (MSG, hospital, or ortho group). Feel free to email hospital recruiters for current job offerings and ask them how many applications they received (spoiler alert: it’s a 3 digit number).

I find the irony a bit overwhelming that you bring up his surgical skills when he’s doing TARs and beyond while you’re an expert in diabetic foot pus which is what residents learn to do first before they’re given the knife to cut into things that aren’t pouring pus out.

I cannot, however, fault you for implying that you’re a better business person than he is. I can only imagine the crazy RVUs that you generate dealing mainly with foot pus and having an army of “limb salvage” residents seeing the inpatient consults and post ops.

Mods pls no ban, thx

Finally, and most important please clarify the the so-called mis-reporting in my blog. All of the data is carefully and accurately referenced, especially the admissions data from AACPM. Did you actually review and verify before making the unfounded allegation?
We are not questioning your data or where it comes from.

We are concerned that you are not seeing the entire picture.
Low application numbers does not mean we need more applicants.

Correlation does not imply causation.

These leaders are delusional. Try going out and looking at the job market for a week. World has changed so much in only the last 10 years between inflation, drop in reimbursement, cost of living, tuition, etc. Salaries suck. There are not 600 acceptable jobs for graduating residents, maybe 100. 150k is marked as "competitive". Meanwhile there are thousands of jobs for nurses 5k/week for 36 hrs of work in literally any city anywhere in the country. You can move any time. Pick up shifts. Literally takes less time than pod school. MD applicants are also increasing. I see plenty of nurses bragging about their salary at 23yo. You ever see a tictok bragging about pod salary? Maybe you should if you make a good living.

So spend less god dam time complaining about SDN and help grads get quality positions with the massive network of rich old white podiatrists instead of "120k because I take the risk..and conveniently always make a profit". Newsflash...it's not a risk if you don't lose money! Opening up a practice is unrealistic for most new grads. For such a small profession the support system is trash. Everyone I know who got anything good had to work way too hard and had some luck. I tell anyone who gets crap offers to actively tell the employer to screw off. We generate plenty of money.

When some 21 yr old looks into medicine it's not because they want to open up shop and be a business owner. There's a million better ways to do that than 7 years in pod school.

We are not questioning your data or where it comes from.

We are concerned that you are not seeing the entire picture.
Low application numbers does not mean we need more applicants.

Correlation does not imply causation.
You questioned “accurate reporting “. Please clarify this?

I made the profession aware of this forum and the inaccuracies on it.
Can you expand upon what the inaccuracies are to begin with? Between your posts, Richie's, and the original e-mail circulated, I haven't even seen anything but generalized non-specific statements. It's kind of akin to Trump's non-specific "fake news" statements, which is kind of sad coming from leadership positions within the occupation.

In regards to the job market, which is one of the primary complaints on this forum, I can confirm with first hand experience that the job market is poor and the offers being given by prior generations of podiatrists are insulting to people who have spent 7 years and a $300k+ (pre-interest) investment in getting to the level of being able to practice. Having just finished residency, I've personally seen as well as heard of many awful job offers. I'm not sure what recruiting a gaggle of Boomer podiatrists to back your cause is going to accomplish there.

Reactions: 9 users
I receive emails at least weekly asking if I’ve got graduating residents for jobs.

And I’ve posted some of them, including the prestigious University of Michigan academic job, which was criticized by the common posters immediately for being an academic job without any knowledge of salary, benefits, etc.

And I’ve posted some of them, including the prestigious University of Michigan academic job, which was criticized by the common posters immediately for being an academic job without any knowledge of salary, benefits, etc.

And again, in our email we were extremely complimentary of the purpose that SDN serves. We just don’t believe 10-15 common posters provide an accurate representation of 15,000 podiatrists in the US.

• Okay...
Post salaries and benefits for these jobs.

Pardon your naivety, but no one posts salaries and benefits for these jobs. Everything is negotiated. Even for MDs. There is a range. If it’s a hospital or university job, they use MGMA. If a government entity like the VA, they still use a range. I help my trainees negotiate the best salary possible.

• Okay...
Just to clarify the misinformation in your post: I retired from clinical practice in 2019. Over the past 3 years I have: Written the opening chapter for the 5th Edition of McGlamry's Foot and Ankle Surgery, written and published an entire textbook on pathomechanics of foot and ankle pathologies for Springer/Nature, published 2 peer reviewed scientific articles, lectured at 5 major scientific meetings and participated in 6 webinars for podiatric residency programs around the country. Question for Wakalflock 88: What have you been doing in your own professional life during this same time period? Not sure what "proprietery' AFO's you prescribe? FYI The Richie Brace is protected by a US Trademark and two US Patents. Not a "proprietary" brace? BTW: I do not "peddle" anything. I have 20 major distributors. Finally, and most important please clarify the the so-called mis-reporting in my blog. All of the data is carefully and accurately referenced, especially the admissions data from AACPM. Did you actually review and verify before making the unfounded allegation?

Doug - I reviewed the AACPM numbers and I am personally glad enrollment is decreasing at this rate. Prospective students have the right to all the information beforehand, including SDN. It is up to THEM to decide if the information they are reading is accurate or not. They have the power to research. Just like anything else in life. IMO - They are making a well informed judgment based on us 10-15 regular posters whom for the majority are doing well (fair compensation, variety of practice backgrounds from PP to hospital to ortho to MSG) and even a few recent posters telling us that they are working in a predatory group.

I on the other hand, in my short time out, have been allowing and offering current students and residents to shadow me in clinic seeing a variety of pathology. From nail care to trauma to limb salvage to big recon consults. They also go with me to the OR and are able to witness the entire spectrum our profession has to offer. Offer, but not guaranteed. I also participate with a local residency program as well and have offered them my time for lectures, journal clubs, etc. and this is not paid. It slows me down, I go home a little later. So I apologize if I haven’t written chapters or do national lectures. I offer my honest opinion to the above and it’s up to them from what witnesses to make an informed decision.

I also have done PFCD surgeries from stage 2 up to stage 4. I’ve also used a variety of custom made orthotics and also OTC for patients. I don’t doubt the trademark on your brace but IMO I can fabricate something equivalent and/or OTC orthotic just as effective in buying a patient time for their PFCD pain until surgery is needed.

And for the record Dr. Rogers, we appreciate you posting about jobs but the UofM job is 1 “good” job for over 600 graduating residents. I’m sure you and Doug Richie both know there is maybe less than 100-200 (I’m being generous) well, fair compensated jobs per year for every 600 grads. While the remaining 400-500 grads accept a job making a base salary of 80-120k? Would you accept that yourself? I do not believe that’s a worthy investment. If a poster here is disgruntled by the fact they are getting a very short end of their current predatory job, how is that not valid - because that will happen to the vast majority of new grads. I understand yoj want to instill optimism in your current residents but I’m sorry, reality is majority of them will end up in a terribly compensated job. This has been discussed numerous times and I feel you keep brushing it over.

Last edited:
Pardon your naivety, but no one posts salaries and benefits for these jobs. Everything is negotiated. Even for MDs. There is a range. If it’s a hospital or university job, they use MGMA. If a government entity like the VA, they still use a range. I help my trainees negotiate the best salary possible.

In the past 5 years, how many of your trainees have obtained jobs starting at MGMA expected salary (including podiatry PP).

Exactly the answer I expected. The private practice podiatrists who contact you are not offering salaries comparable to MGMA salaries.

Hospitals and VAs are not contacting you for jobs. It’s private practice podiatrists and they are not offering salaries comparable to MGMA or even VA salaries.

I understand yoj want to instill optimism in your current residents but I’m sorry, reality is majority of them will end up in a terribly compensated job. This has been discussed numerous times and I feel you keep brushing it over.

I don’t want to demean your experience, but not a single trainee I’ve had, didn’t have a good job offer.

Some made personal decisions to go into private practice or decide not to entertain offers in certain geographies. But every single one received a reasonable offer.

• Haha
  • Okay...
I receive emails at least weekly asking if I’ve got graduating residents for jobs.
Sorry sir, but quantity of jobs means nothing if the quality is insulting to the level of effort and cost to get there.
We just don’t believe 10-15 common posters provide an accurate representation of 15,000 podiatrists in the US.
Again, having just experienced the job market in podiatry first-hand, I believe that the common sentiment on this forum is a very accurate representation of the job market. There are plenty of people who "lurk" on this forum, and yet no one feels the need to interject that the job market is great. Because it ain't.

If you truly want to improve the outlook for the profession and attract more applicants to schools, maybe address the root of the problem rather than the symptom. The root being the poor quality of the majority of jobs fresh out of residency, and the symptom being "10-15 disgruntled SDN posters". Seems a bit easier to just vilify faceless individuals on the internet rather than actually address the real problem though...

And again, in our email we were extremely complimentary of the purpose that SDN serves. We just don’t believe 10-15 common posters provide an accurate representation of 15,000 podiatrists in the US.

More opinions are welcome.

SDN can in some instances be an echo chamber. It is however ridiculous to think that this website accounts for the decline in enrollment.

There are several themes about our profession that are discussed on a regular basis. Any of these recent topics could be a cause.

-Variable acceptance of the profession by other healthcare providers
-High cost of training
-Highly variable training (schools and residency)
-Inconsistency in job market
-inconsistency in pay

The key to all of our discussion is that there is to much inconsistency/variability. There are no sure things in this profession. The competing fields however provide stability/flexibility, which are more palatable terms.

Edit: btw… I am far from disgruntled. I make good money. I have a schedule that allows me to be with my family. I review for our journals. I work with residents. I have multiple publications. I have lectured.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I don’t want to demean your experience, but not a single trainee I’ve had, didn’t have a good job offer.

Some made personal decisions to go into private practice or decide not to entertain offers in certain geographies. But every single one received a reasonable offer.

The word good is subjective. Are you telling me they chose to go into PP because they didn’t find a better paying job? They turned away a certain geography even though it was a fair MGMA offer?

I’ve experienced every type of job setting when I was job hunting. You dont need to demean my statement. I know what I’m saying and so does all the above posters. Unless we all conspired to lie?

Exactly the answer I expected. The private practice podiatrists who contact you are not offering salaries comparable to MGMA salaries.

Hospitals and VAs are not contacting you for jobs. It’s private practice podiatrists and they are not offering salaries comparable to MGMA or even VA salaries.

Mr. (or Dr.) anonymous poster, you have no information to make this assumption and you are wrong. This is the problem with SDN.

• Dislike
The word good is subjective. Are you telling me they chose to go into PP because they didn’t find a better paying job? They turned away a certain geography even though it was a fair MGMA offer?

I’ve experienced every type of job setting when I was job hunting. You dont need to demean my statement. I know what I’m saying and so does all the above posters. Unless we all conspired to lie?

No, some chose PP because of location, family, or other desires. And I still help them, because that’s my job as a mentor and frankly, it’s why you should choose a residency or fellowship with a good mentor - MD/DO or DPM. It helps you.

• Care
75% of podiatrists are private practice. I'm curious to know what some of you consider a good offer? Mgma or private practice or anything. Most jobs were "word of mouth". That's only helpful if you actually know the person. That right there is something leadership could try to address if they are so concerned about dropping application rates. "we will help you find your first job" is an attractive statement.

75% of podiatrists are private practice. I'm curious to know what some of you consider a good offer? Mgma or private practice or anything. Most jobs were "word of mouth". That's only helpful if you actually know the person. That right there is something leadership could try to address if they are so concerned about dropping application rates. "we will help you find your first job" is an attractive statement.

I’ll go first.

I consider …

Salaried/group positions: $180k a reasonable offer, >$225k a good offer. Hopefully + incentives and good benefits.

Government practice: >$160k a reasonable offer. Usually very good benefits.

Private practice: depends if you’re the proprietor or not. If you are, then everything is up to you, but your W2 income is not representative of your entire income and is hard to judge. If you’re not the proprietor, beware. Not saying no, but this is where “podiatrist eat their young” and all the negative experiences are.

I would consider a good offer right out of residency to be total compensation of 290ish. 200k in salary and the rest in benefits.

There are several themes about our profession that are discussed on a regular basis. Any of these recent topics could be a cause.

-Variable acceptance of the profession by other healthcare providers
-High cost of training
-Highly variable training (schools and residency)
-Inconsistency in job market
-inconsistency in pay

The key to all of our discussion is that there is to much inconsistency/variability. There are no sure things in this profession. The competing fields however provide stability/flexibility, which are more palatable terms.

This sums it up well. These are the important issues.

Why is it so frowned upon to say something negative about podiatry? If we don’t bring weaknesses of the profession to light we cannot improve.

This career sucks. period.

Travel nurses making bank more than most podiatrists. They fight together, we argue and try to eat our young. It’s sad.

I have said it before....I don't think podiatry has really gotten much worse as a profession since the enrollment decline. Other professions have gotten better and solo practice is not getting easier.

It is fair to compare DPMs to MDs due to length and cost of training, but the job market is like comparing apples to oranges.
Podiatry is now a very long career path for all. Many will consider the length (delayed income) and the cost of training. 7 years and chatter of needing fellowships for good jobs makes one really consider the length of training and delayed income, not just the education cost with podiatry as a career choice.

The younger generation really values work life balance much more than previous generations. Podiatry advertises a good work life balance, but it often does not deliver in the way the younger generation defines that.

There are some great employed jobs out there in podiatry, more than ever before actually, that offer a good salary, benefits and good work life balance......the only problem if we are being HONEST is in the NUMBER of these jobs available. There are not enough of these jobs for all....not even close. These jobs are a possibility for potential applicants but far from a guarantee like many other healthcare professions.

So if we market podiatry honestly should we say.....you can be your own boss and run your own business or you will be a surgeon employed by a hospital/Ortho/MSG?

The younger generation wants benefits and vacation etc.....they work to live, not live to work. Work for yourself.....no signing bonus, no loan repayment, no paid health insurance, paid vacation, call coverage etc combined with a good bit of risk to starting a business. There is no risk free profession, but many do not want to go through all that schooling then open a business because they feel they have to. It would be great if those that opened their business did so only because they wanted to and were entrepreneurs, but that is not the case.

A lot of things are a matter of perspective and personal opinion. Most will eventually do well enough in podiatry to have an upper middle class life and if one was not already raised in an upper middle class lifestyle or is a first generation American this is still a path for many that choose podiatry to live the American dream.

The podiatry job market could use some help and podiatry school enrollment could use some help. It is unfortunate that decreasing enrollments is what will likely help the job market, but also hurt the schools. I have never wanted the schools to do bad or scare away applicants.

Like most I am just being honest about the pros and cons of this profession from my experiences and those I know in it. I can see why many are becoming PAs etc, but if you do some research and choose podiatry then best of luck to you on your career choice.

Perhaps this site scares away a few applicants I suppose, but I am surprised it does not add some also. Many that post on here are doing well financially and offer constructive advice to young doctors or residents.....that should pull a few in also.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
PM sent.

Gotta get to work now. I'm also going to blame podiatryexchange for the podiatry job market and sign bonuses too low. Maybe I will post my resume and deadlift ORM on here later and show why I'm a voice of authority. That has worked great for the popularity and approachability of many users in the past.

This forum has potential to do whatever one tries for... it has been that way for many years. Consider the positive potential instead of just the ego?

Last edited:
I’ll go first.

I consider …

Salaried/group positions: $180k a reasonable offer, >$225k a good offer. Hopefully + incentives and good benefits.

Government practice: >$160k a reasonable offer. Usually very good benefits.

Private practice: depends if you’re the proprietor or not. If you are, then everything is up to you, but your W2 income is not representative of your entire income and is hard to judge. If you’re not the proprietor, beware. Not saying no, but this is where “podiatrist eat their young” and all the negative experiences are.
Fair. What percentage would you estimate end up in the "private practice" category? What are all the job postings on our beloved PM News? Linkd In? What are the majority of job postings anywhere online? I'd guess more than 75% of graduating podiatrists end up in the "private practice" category and get eaten to death... But yeah, all SDN's fault lol.

Maybe we need more of these older docs to get on and brag about how they are getting rich off of these new grads--that would bring some real positivity to these forums haha--I know, let's send them an email!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I like podiatry. I like my job. I dont hate going into work in the morning - I like it. I am well trained and able to tackle just about anything that I encounter on the daily. I feel I make a difference every day and I feel really well respected by my patients, collegues, and staff. There are at least a 1000 people still walking today, who otherwise wouldnt, because of my hands and thats a humbling thing to reflect on.

I've always been pretty pro podiatry on here. If you review my posts I've typically only said positive things.

I've pointed out multiple times that all the regular posters make a good living (even if some of us got screwed early on with the whole "eat your young" thing) and have good jobs. The regular posters all know who eachother are for the most part and are all well trained/went to some of the better residency programs our country offers. Cutswfury is pretty bitter and given some of the things that have happened I dont blame cutswfury for being angry. I wouldnt be happy either. I hesitate to speak for others, but I think most of the regular 10-15 posters on here are happy with their jobs just frustrated with public perception of podiatry, leadership, and initial job offers out of residency.

My main gripe with podiatry right now is opening the new school. I do NOT think this is a good idea with the current state of admissions, quality of jobs, income, and variable residency training. It is going to further dilute an already saturated pool.

Luckily there is a low # students this year matriculating because if the schools filled all their seats it would be 2014 all over again with residency shortage. I have zero confidence UT will create enough quality residency positions to fill their class and another pending residency crisis is looming if admissions go back up.

2014 was one of the most stressful times of my life knowing 10% will not get a residency due to Western opening and creating almost zero residency positions - all under the same leadership that is now creating the texas school. How we let this happen is beyond me. The only way this happened was $$$$ and nothing else. School administrators can hand out pamphlets and tell us how great it is but its just a smoke screen. This is about $$$ and I personally dont think its being done to better the profession.

Based on my prior experience with how our profession botched Western opening/graduating their first 2-3 classes I would be very cautious matriculating into a DPM school. We dont need a larger graduating class. We're already saturated. Its very expensive to go to podiatry school. With even more dilution its not as good of a career as it was 10-20 years ago.

But now were gonna be spammed with opinions from long practicing/established/retired DPMS who dont have to worry about the current state of affairs in the job market so that the new school can fill its slots and make more $$$ for those on top.

In my mind, just like a rep presenting a new product, I can see the room of people now with the powerpoint presentation. Slide after slide about how great UT program is going to be. Some probably snoozing in the back until the last slide "and now the financials" at which everyones eyes immediately open up and suddenly become very interested in "bettering the profession".