Yup, dental school sucks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phremius

Dentist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember when I was having so much fun as a first year and scoffed and wondered at all those people who griped....

alas irony of ironies, not even halfway through my second year and I definitely see how so many dentists say only a huge sum of money can make me go back through school again.

Members don't see this ad.

I remember when I was having so much fun as a first year and scoffed and wondered at all those people who griped....

alas irony of ironies, not even halfway through my second year and I definitely see how so many dentists say only a huge sum of money can make me go back through school again.
If your school is like most, you're halfway through the hardest year. Keep trucking, you'll get through. :thumbup:

"Yup, it sucks."

Yes, it does. There is no way around it. You are covering a lot of material, a lot of subjects and becoming proficient working with your hands at the same time. Dental school is a life changing experience. It is a humbling process, but you will get through everything. I am sure of this. In the end, it will feel as if you climbed Mt. Everest, and you will have the beginnings of a skill that will reward you in the end. One day at time, one test at a time, one project and one patient at a time, it will all pass. Hang in there. Best Wishes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Most dentists I speak to don't have that opinion - most would do it all over again. I'm sorry to be the one to say it, but it could be a heckuva lot worse. Toughen up a little will ya.

Most dentists I speak to don't have that opinion - most would do it all over again. I'm sorry to be the one to say it, but it could be a heckuva lot worse. Toughen up a little will ya.

most would do it all over again, b/c of the rewards that they are reaping due to having finished dental school........NO ONE would do it over again just for the hell of it.

hang in there premius! i am right there with you............just 2 1/2 more years.... and things should be getting at least a little better for us even sooner than that.

My dentist told me that dental school was one of his favorite times of his life - he said he enjoyed it so much because of the incredible amount of learning and progress you are making, and of course the good friends you make. That being said, I sure wouldn't mind being done right now.

In heinsight...if thats how u spell it, everything looks pretty nice because you made it out alive to be able to look back. Undergrad was nice......I'm glad if went the way it did...no I wouldnt want to do it again. Hang in there and take it day by day.

My dentist told me that dental school was one of his favorite times of his life - he said he enjoyed it so much because of the incredible amount of learning and progress you are making, and of course the good friends you make. That being said, I sure wouldn't mind being done right now.

Mine did, too...and seemed to have a much more amazing time than dental students are having now. He says he met the most amazing friends, really grew into his self-confidence, and that he still keeps in touch with many of his classmates. (I've never heard of the bitter complaints that people are offering now about their schools...administration..curriculum....lawsuits...etc.)

So this either means that dental school has become more boot campish and less fun, or....which I think is more likely....I'll join the school of thought that everything difficult looks better once you've kicked its a$$ and are finished. :D

hey man, how's life? just wanted to tell ya that everything you told me during our meeting turned out to be true.

Mine did, too...and seemed to have a much more amazing time than dental students are having now. He says he met the most amazing friends, really grew into his self-confidence, and that he still keeps in touch with many of his classmates. (I've never heard of the bitter complaints that people are offering now about their schools...administration..curriculum....lawsuits...etc.)

So this either means that dental school has become more boot campish and less fun, or....which I think is more likely....I'll join the school of thought that everything difficult looks better once you've kicked its a$$ and are finished. :D

OR it could be that dent school is more or less run the same way, and the students are the ones who have different expectations (re: long hours, all the new info, stress) going in, and are unable to view things with a broader perspective (they are priviledged to be there, will make some good relationships, working hard pays off).

i am not organized. i am a lousy time manager and i dont have handskills. and i truly beleive that if one is organized and a good time manager, dental school can be fun and fulfilling.

OR it could be that dent school is more or less run the same way, and the students are the ones who have different expectations (re: long hours, all the new info, stress) going in, and are unable to view things with a broader perspective (they are priviledged to be there, will make some good relationships, working hard pays off).

Could be....I definitely do see a lot of griping about things that people expected in the first place :rolleyes: .

It may have something to do with the different political and educational environment of 30 years ago....young people were REALLY involved and had something to say about everything, so maybe there was a mindset of getting where you wanted to be. Just an idea...

The question comes to mind because, even though I'm sure it seems a lot easier in hindsight, the dentist I referred to would be horrified to read some of the things beind said about his school. Do you really think nothing's changed and a cushy dental career makes everything seem dreamy? :confused:

i am not organized. i am a lousy time manager and i dont have handskills. and i truly beleive that if one is organized and a good time manager, dental school can be fun and fulfilling.

firstly my post was directed more to the lawsuit-happy crowd, not someone such as yourself. again, what my post was emphasizing is the correct mindset one should have before entering dental school (or any other rigorous professional or graduate school curriculum for that matter). i don't see where you're coming from w/ the organization, time-management and hand-skills comment???

Members don't see this ad :)
firstly my post was directed more to the lawsuit-happy crowd, not someone such as yourself. again, what my post was emphasizing is the correct mindset one should have before entering dental school (or any other rigorous professional or graduate school curriculum for that matter). i don't see where you're coming from w/ the organization, time-management and hand-skills comment???

first of all, my post was directed to the OP. i did not quote any of your posts so no need to throw $hit at me by your lawsuit-happy people nonsense.....

Dental school is FUN...seriously!

Dental school is FUN...seriously!
Yeah, we have our first nitrous lab next monday, so I'll probably agree with you monday night.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha I can't stop laughing because of the nitrous.

What year do dental students get to work with Nitrous??

hey man, how's life? just wanted to tell ya that everything you told me during our meeting turned out to be true.

hey! good to hear from ya, hope you're enjoying your first year, or if not total enjoyment, get your kicks here and there. How's living over at SB treating you?

and people, there's no need to get worked up, I made the post in part to acknowledge how little I knew back when I was a D1. I'm not complaining about how many exams there are or how hard the practicals etc, etc, I'm saying that the structure of the institution itself and going through it: sucks. Though it's all anecdotal, I've personally met at least a couple of dentists who regret it or got out of practicing dentistry as soon as their loans are paid off. And obviously there are those who love it, so eh, like w/ anything, there's a spectrum of opinions.

There are times where going through dental school feels like an accelerated buildingsroman.

hey! good to hear from ya, hope you're enjoying your first year, or if not total enjoyment, get your kicks here and there. How's living over at SB treating you?

and people, there's no need to get worked up, I made the post in part to acknowledge how little I knew back when I was a D1. I'm not complaining about how many exams there are or how hard the practicals etc, etc, I'm saying that the structure of the institution itself and going through it: sucks. Though it's all anecdotal, I've personally met at least a couple of dentists who regret it or got out of practicing dentistry as soon as their loans are paid off. And obviously there are those who love it, so eh, like w/ anything, there's a spectrum of opinions.

There are times where going through dental school feels like an accelerated buildingsroman.

Dental school is a transition. For some, it happens during the first year and for others the second year. I think this has a lot to do with the school's program and also with what's going on in the student's life at the time. My brother-in-law, age 59, told my husband, age 51, when he started dental school, it was going to be the worst four years of his life! He may have exaggeraged a bit, but those were the words of wisdom he felt compelled to pass on.

For me, the first year was the major transition. Dental school was nothing like college. I was not remotely cluded in about what to expect. Even if someone had told me, I don't think I would have been able to get it. But, by the middle of the first year, I knew what was expected of me and what to expect from the program. I can't say I was loving every minute of it, but at that point I knew it was very doable. There is always a spectrum of opinions. I, however, have yet to meet someone who loved dental school, but that doesn't mean they're not out there! Happy Thanksgiving!

hey! good to hear from ya, hope you're enjoying your first year, or if not total enjoyment, get your kicks here and there. How's living over at SB treating you?.

living at SB is not that bad. the school is great. however, most of the things you said to me about clinical/manual stuff turned out to be true. as it turned out, i suck at waxing and no matter how much i work at it, i end up with a C and wasting time that could be devoted to other classes. most of my classmates are not as bad as i am. and we have quite a few who are gifted in that department. i have accepted the fact that i must work hard at the didactic portion of the course to hopefully end up with a B on the course. it 's been a humbling experience because you get in and then you think to yourself "hell yeah..i am gonna do well in d-school and i m gonna kick butt" and then all of a suddent you realize that you're not all that and that your hands might ruin your GPA even if you are academically driven and smart. total bummer!!! disheartening but i am over it now and i am comin up with a strategy and a few goals that would save my a$$ in this course.

What year do dental students get to work with Nitrous??

2nd year. It may be different at different schools. We've spent all quarter giving each other weekly injections (which wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be), but now we're done with that and get to learn how to use the nitrous.

i dont know who those douschebags are but I wouldnt do it again and im only in the first year.

living at SB is not that bad. the school is great. however, most of the things you said to me about clinical/manual stuff turned out to be true. as it turned out, i suck at waxing and no matter how much i work at it, i end up with a C and wasting time that could be devoted to other classes. most of my classmates are not as bad as i am. and we have quite a few who are gifted in that department. i have accepted the fact that i must work hard at the didactic portion of the course to hopefully end up with a B on the course. it 's been a humbling experience because you get in and then you think to yourself "hell yeah..i am gonna do well in d-school and i m gonna kick butt" and then all of a suddent you realize that you're not all that and that your hands might ruin your GPA even if you are academically driven and smart. total bummer!!! disheartening but i am over it now and i am comin up with a strategy and a few goals that would save my a$$ in this course.

try making the contacts manually. i see people do that at my school and it makes me mad but they get A's in waxing.

It's almost the end of my first semester. The transition for me was kinda ok, no big surprises. Of course, studying is hardcore, which takes up almost all of my time. I guess I'm lucky that at least my grades kinda reflect my hardwork. But there are things that I had not expected before I got into dental school. Competition is strong at my school. My best friend in the class would get pissed if I scored higher. Dental Anatomy wasn't exciting as what I though it would be. I absolutely hate the txt we used, and feel like we're not learning anything in that class. I definitely don't remeber anything I read or learned. Waxing is fun and relaxing. However, I saddly found out I'm not a natural. It normally takes me for ever and still don't get good results. In the waxing midterm, half of the class got 100%. I have no idea if we're really going to be ok, or it's just the teachers are easy on us. I just hope that eventually, after 4 yrs, I'll turn out to be good with my hands and teeth.

Everyone said the first semester is the easiest. But I'm studying so much, don't know how much more I can handle. And my friend and I are applying for a 2 yr research opportunity starting hopefully in spring or summer. I just don't see how we're gonna make it work.

it 's been a humbling experience because you get in and then you think to yourself "hell yeah..i am gonna do well in d-school and i m gonna kick butt" and then all of a suddent you realize that you're not all that .

Absolutely true! Academically speaking, you study extremely hard, go into exams confident, feel great with your B, then realize that everyone else in the class is doing just as well or better. You're now in a class made up solely of people who would cringe a bit at getting Bs in undergrad....aah, no one's special anymore! :D

However, that has its rewards...I didn't have a group of strong academic peers around me in my huge undergrad university...though it may humble you, I find it rewarding to be with so many people who are as motivated academically as I am....sort of makes an aura of information and keeps you on your toes.

And of course, clinically speaking, it will be humbling to be constantly criticized and embarrassed in front of classmates/patients/other professors. Just grin and bear it, laughing at yourself the whole way.

A sense of humor is a must. I only wish someone could take a video of us first years making rediculous errors and play it during graduation!!!