Zero letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lastminute2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I upload letters after receiving interview invites from places, or if I've already got offers should I just leave it alone? I decided to apply for radiology really really late and all my letters are for other specialties. Surprisingly have 7 interview invites so far and I don't know if they expect me to upload letters at some point or if it's alright without any.

Members don't see this ad.

Should I upload letters after receiving interview invites from places, or if I've already got offers should I just leave it alone? I decided to apply for radiology really really late and all my letters are for other specialties. Surprisingly have 7 interview invites so far and I don't know if they expect me to upload letters at some point or if it's alright without any.

I don't understand how you can expect to match when you do not fulfill the requirement that most programs have for three letters of recommendation.

You have letters. Upload them. Most of your letters should not be from radiologists.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm fairly certain you'll need letters if you want them to rank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand how you can expect to match when you do not fulfill the requirement that most programs have for three letters of recommendation.

You have letters. Upload them. Most of your letters should not be from radiologists.

I'm just wondering because the programs' websites say stuff like basically saying you won't be invited to interview without letters. But if I have already received an interview, that's clearly not the case, so do they still need letters? I would absolutely have no problem sending my other letters, if not for the fact that I'm worried those writers may be contacted. I'm still pursuing the specialty those letters are from, as I switched to radiology so late in the game that I'm definitely not certain I'll match, so I don't want to letters intended for Specialty X written by doctors at my top choice in Specialty X to radiology programs when I'm still applying for Specialty X.

You need LORs to be ranked. Period. You cannot be ranked without a complete app.

This situation you have with the writers of your LORs need to be worked out, obviously. Or get new LORs.

I'm just wondering because the programs' websites say stuff like basically saying you won't be invited to interview without letters. But if I have already received an interview, that's clearly not the case, so do they still need letters? I would absolutely have no problem sending my other letters, if not for the fact that I'm worried those writers may be contacted. I'm still pursuing the specialty those letters are from, as I switched to radiology so late in the game that I'm definitely not certain I'll match, so I don't want to letters intended for Specialty X written by doctors at my top choice in Specialty X to radiology programs when I'm still applying for Specialty X.

Why do you keep saying you're still pursuing specialty X? Are you dual applying to specialty X and radiology?

Otherwise, I have no idea what the issue is. Are you saying that you don't want to submit your LOR's because you don't want your letter writers to find out that you applied to a field other than theirs just in case you don't match radiology this year and would reapply in their field in the future? Jesus. You either need to upload the stupid letters or do some soul searching regarding whether you really want to be a radiologist or not.

Why do you keep saying you're still pursuing specialty X? Are you dual applying to specialty X and radiology?

Otherwise, I have no idea what the issue is. Are you saying that you don't want to submit your LOR's because you don't want your letter writers to find out that you applied to a field other than theirs just in case you don't match radiology this year and would reapply in their field in the future? Jesus. You either need to upload the stupid letters or do some soul searching regarding whether you really want to be a radiologist or not.

@lastminute2018, I'm not as blunt as @leadhead, but he definitely has a point.

It's complete okay if you chose radiology at the last minute, and you are still pursuing another specialty. Ideally, one should have decided what the wish to do with their lives, but given the competitive nature of some specialties, it is what it is.

My real question is why did you not ask for a radiology letter? Or, similarly, ask your letter writers to write two letters (one supporting you for specialty X and one supporting you for radiology). I hope you didn't choose all your letters from specialty X.

Your letters will raise questions before, during, and after the interview process. Be prepared to have an answer. Be genuine, but have the answer well thought out.

If your letter writers are not aware of and do not support your application to radiology, your match outcome in radiology will not be good. It doesn't matter if the letter writers are non-radiologists. Even if radiology is your backup, you're throwing money into the trash if you don't upload your letters.

If your letter writers are not aware of and do not support your application to radiology, your match outcome in radiology will not be good. It doesn't matter if the letter writers are non-radiologists. Even if radiology is your backup, you're throwing money into the trash if you don't upload your letters.

Some programs are fine inviting people for interviews without letters, but they require letters prior to the interview itself or the offer of interview is withdrawn. @lastminute2018, I'm still trying to understand your issue. Without letters, there is almost no way you will match. Even if a program interviews you without letters, they will not rank you without them.

And if none of your letters are supporting your application for a radiology residency, is applying to radiology a good idea?

I'm not sure if the original poster is trolling, or honestly cannot decide between radiology, radiation oncology, anesthesiology, and like two other specialties.

I ended up applying to radiation oncology and neurodevelopmental disabilities

Great choice on radonc. Radiology is too different.

Yes I agree. At the end of the day I decided I wanted somewhat of a clinical setting so I ended up canceling all my rads interviews before MSPE's went up, tried not to mess up other peoples' interview opportunities too much. Good luck to everybody still pursuing it

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I agree. At the end of the day I decided I wanted somewhat of a clinical setting so I ended up canceling all my rads interviews before MSPE's went up, tried not to mess up other peoples' interview opportunities too much. Good luck to everybody still pursuing it

How many radonc interviews you got? Did you end up doing a radonc rotation?

Matched rad onc today, only had 2 interviews but 1 is all you need! I did not do a formal rotation

Lol at all the other posters telling you that you aren’t good enough for rad onc.