Zithromax retail prices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was a resident, I used to give the 500mg of Zithromax in the ED, and write a script for 250mg x4 to go (completing the "Z-pak"), but one thing that I just thought about last night is "What is cheaper?"

Is the pre-packaged "Z-pak" cheaper than 4 250mg tabs, or are the 4 tabs cheaper?

Members don't see this ad.

Double post!

For 6 pills of the 250 mg azithromycin its like 47 or 48 bucks. Same price for the pre-packed generic z-pak. (This is at Walgreens, prices may differ at the other corpo pharms)

Members don't see this ad :)
The Z-pak has 6 pills. What is the retail cost for 4 pills that are not in the Z-pak - more expensive? That is my question (which I did ask originally). Why I prescribe it is for clinical indications, taking into account resistance patterns where I practice (which is not germane to this thread, your professor notwithstanding).

The Z-pak has 6 pills. What is the retail cost for 4 pills that are not in the Z-pak - more expensive? That is my question (which I did ask originally). Why I prescribe it is for clinical indications, taking into account resistance patterns where I practice (which is not germane to this thread, your professor notwithstanding).

No....the difference between 4 tablets & 6 tablets is inconsequential. In my retail setting....I only stock the packaged units of 6 tablets per "folder". In my hospital setting, we only stock the unit dose packages of 50. It is available in bottles of 30, but I've never seen in.

If you write me an rx for more than 6 or less than 6, I just take them out of the "folder" or open up units dose & put them in a bottle. It is not like a Maxalt rx, for example, which in which the packaging shouldn't be broken.

So...I guess the answer to your question is...your pt will spend $40 something dollars for 6 tablets or 4 tablets - the way the pharmacy buys the medication doesn't change that. But...they probably paid a whole lot more for that 500mg dose you gave them (or absolutely nothing at all, depending on the hospital reimbursement structure).

Does that help give you the answer?

:laugh: :laugh:

This is from Walgreens.com
I'm not working this week or I could get more exact.

The azithromycin 6 pack is $45.99.
Walgreens.com quotes the same price for azithromycin tablets that we take out of the stock bottle: $45.99/6 or about $7.67/tablet or $30.68/4.

Which is pretty much what trinnieoh said in post #3.

If the patient has insurance they will likely pay the same co-pay regardless of whether they get 4 tablets or the complete "pack."

To expand briefly, it is as follows: when I was a resident, I would give the azithromycin 500mg in the ED to those patients in which it was clinically indicated, and would write for 250mg PO qd x4d to go, and never thought much about it, although I did have my question if the prepackaged 6 pills cost the same as the 4 loose ones (which has now been answered). It came to light at my new job, where the people here are a step down in money (like, borderline destitute), but are too proud/unwilling/self-sufficient/"getting by"/not-entitled to apply for MedicAid (as my dad used to say, "they don't have a pot to **** in", but there's food on the table and the kids go to school wearing shoes, and that's enough, even though the raw dollars are LOW), so, when I see them, I'm trying to be the most efficient. What some of the docs do is give the 500mg in the ED, then also write for the Z-pak, so the patients get six days of treatment, with 500mg x2 days, then the 250. The perspective is that the extra 750mg and day are unlikely to add to morbidity. That's something that is new to me.

At the same time, I've already written several Rx's for high-dose amox in adults (and have yet to write for Augmentin since I've been here). So, please, don't look at me like I'm the enemy!!

And thanks to all for your input from across the nation - it's interesting to see consistency and difference when they exist.

To expand briefly, it is as follows: when I was a resident, I would give the azithromycin 500mg in the ED to those patients in which it was clinically indicated, and would write for 250mg PO qd x4d to go, and never thought much about it, although I did have my question if the prepackaged 6 pills cost the same as the 4 loose ones (which has now been answered). It came to light at my new job, where the people here are a step down in money (like, borderline destitute), but are too proud/unwilling/self-sufficient/"getting by"/not-entitled to apply for MedicAid (as my dad used to say, "they don't have a pot to **** in", but there's food on the table and the kids go to school wearing shoes, and that's enough, even though the raw dollars are LOW), so, when I see them, I'm trying to be the most efficient. What some of the docs do is give the 500mg in the ED, then also write for the Z-pak, so the patients get six days of treatment, with 500mg x2 days, then the 250. The perspective is that the extra 750mg and day are unlikely to add to morbidity. That's something that is new to me.

At the same time, I've already written several Rx's for high-dose amox in adults (and have yet to write for Augmentin since I've been here). So, please, don't look at me like I'm the enemy!!

And thanks to all for your input from across the nation - it's interesting to see consistency and difference when they exist.

No worries - we don't see you as the enemy!!! But...to add just a bit more perspective to your pt population, which exists in many forms for all of us...probably your pt is not just taking the medication themselves - they're probably "splitting" it between other family members who are similarly ill, but they can only afford for 1 to be seen by you & you'll only write one rx. They know it & so do we.

So...I'd offer that, if your choice is azithromycin - & we cannot make that judgement since as you pointed out, we don't know your antibiograms, you might be better served by giving the 500mg - or better yet...depending on your reimbursement circumstance in the ER (which often just absorbs the cost of the drugs - like guaze for instance) - give 2x500mg (as though you'd be writing for a TriPak - 500mg x 3) and an rx for the whole azithromycin 250mg pk. In that way...the pt will split the total mg between him/herself & his/her SO.

Granted - this is not good medicine, but it is reality within healthcare. They are going to not complete the full course anyway so morbidity of one extra day is not the issue, rather, it is trying to obtain the "fullest" course of tx possible within the limits of what is "good" medicine.

I hate to say this actually happens - but it does - particularly among children. Every child doesn't get the full course of tx, but all children within the family get some.

That's why we get a bit fussy about resistance - we see many circumstances of "short" courses knowing full well - that course of tx is going to be split anyway.

I've got ER friends who periodically call me to check prices on rxs....just for that reason alone. Surprisingly, amox 800mg can be more expensive than augmentin 875mg or azith 500mg....our contracts change & this is the time of year they do change. I also "give away" far more courses of antibiotics in my hospital work than I do in retail...

Good luck!

Interestingly, the "family plan" (2,3, or more patients at one ED visit) is happening a LOT more in the one borderline-rural hospital I'm working at in SC than it EVER did in NC or NY.

Now, the debate I've been having is the 875mg q12 vs 500mg TID of amox, and now, I think that I'll go with the 500mg TID.

Patients also dislike swallowing the Amox 875. The tablets are humongous.

I warn them that they are "horse pills".

I've always found that interesting - that antibiotic pills are mostly medicine, versus the others that are mostly filler to make sure the pills aren't too small to realistically use.

Members don't see this ad :)
Z-pak sucks...that's all I have to say about that.

I warn them that they are "horse pills".

I've always found that interesting - that antibiotic pills are mostly medicine, versus the others that are mostly filler to make sure the pills aren't too small to realistically use.

Yes, it all depends on the amount of active ingredient in the dosage forms. Stuff like Amaryl is going to need a lot of excipients to get the tablets to a weight that can be handled easily, while Metformin has relatively fewer excipients.

I just did a product on this, comparing %API of different drug products. The numbers ranged from very low (5% or so for Prevacid) to more than 50% (tenofovir).

When I was a resident, I used to give the 500mg of Zithromax in the ED, and write a script for 250mg x4 to go (completing the "Z-pak"), but one thing that I just thought about last night is "What is cheaper?"

Is the pre-packaged "Z-pak" cheaper than 4 250mg tabs, or are the 4 tabs cheaper?

I am on rotation at a Fry's (Kroger) and they give out generic z-pac for $14.08 cash. It is on their super, super, special cash pricing that they give out all the time. You got to love pharmacies that don't have to ever make money, which this one doesn't. It just has to keep the people happy so they come back and spend thousands of dollars on groceries all year.

Z-pak sucks...that's all I have to say about that.

You know what sucks? When Dr's won't write for generic Z-pak because that cute little rep was in their office the other day pimping BiaxinXL pak, so everything out the door is BiaxinXL pak even though it is 50-60 bucks copay. Then what really sucks is when pt doesn't want to pay for it, asks you to call to get something cheaper and the as$hole dr states, 'give her omnicef', another great, non-generic drug with 40-50 buck copays. The cherry on top is when the pt doesn't want to pay for that, so I ask her what the diagnosis is so I can suggest something cheaper and she states the dr. didn't tell her. So I call said as$hole godcomplex dr to ask and he tells me 'you don't need to know the diagnosis, I said give her omnicef. Tell her to call me if she wants to know the diagnosis', which I hand to phone over to the pt and she rips him a new one. Then the as$hole tells the lady, 'why don't you just come on back and I will give you a free sample pak of the Biaxin.' So you couldn't just give it to her up front?

Pay back sucks. Everytime I see one of this idiots preprinted Omnicef or Biaxin scripts the pt now gets a nice earful of what an an$hole this guy is, where I get the reply 'yes, he was rude, but it is the only place I could get in.' Its going to be hard to get your new urgent care going when people at two pharmacies in your neighborhood won't recommend you for anything but being an as$hole.

Yea, no generic for the pak.
There isn't supposed to be generic for any of it at present. Abbott sued to get the generic removed from the market for awhile longer. I am wondering if the release of the Biaxin Paks extended the patent in any way, or if that was a separate matter.

Apollyon, where are you in SC? I'm in Sumter. And embarrassed to admit that in 6+ years of PA practice (granted the first six in primary care, mostly insured) I've never thought of patients using "the family plan" for rx. Now I'm here where poor is POOR and I'll bet it does happen. Hmmm....

Interestingly, the "family plan" (2,3, or more patients at one ED visit) is happening a LOT more in the one borderline-rural hospital I'm working at in SC than it EVER did in NC or NY.

Now, the debate I've been having is the 875mg q12 vs 500mg TID of amox, and now, I think that I'll go with the 500mg TID.

Upstate - Greenville.

When I talk about the "family plan", I mean it's a bunch of patients either all with the same complaint, or the most varied problems, but, "since we're here"...what sdn1977 said, I hadn't thought about - these folks just all come in, instead of one to split the Rx (or so it seems). My take is they all come (or, if one kid has a fever, mom signs all of them in, so there's 3 or 4 more that are FINE, but still have to be seen).

There isn't supposed to be generic for any of it at present. Abbott sued to get the generic removed from the market for awhile longer. I am wondering if the release of the Biaxin Paks extended the patent in any way, or if that was a separate matter.

I don't think it would extend the patent since it's not really a new dosage form or a different release mechanism.

Ah, Greenville is a bit better off than Sumter. But I catch your drift.
We had a family of 4 kids & mom show up in the ED last Thursday night. She only signed in the sickest kid but they were all sick. She brought them in in a shopping cart...no kidding, a shopping cart. Sob story: she had moved here with a "fiance" from Pennsylvania and apparently the fiance had done something bad (I got the impression it involved the oldest daughter, 8 or so) and mom left (at least she left) she 4 kids, 8 to 8 months, with NO transportation, no cash, no credit cards, very little except what they had on their backs (2 of the kids didn't have shoes). At least she found refuge at the YWCA and they did get fed but she couldn't afford Tylenol. Thank God for hospital social work nurses...they spent at least 3 hours rounding up cold meds, clothing, treating the 4 yo's otitis (Rocephin, she can't afford to get an rx filled) and sending the family home by cab...she would have walked, at 11pm, in the dark, in a bad neighborhood, with 4 kids. Yikes.
But, um, I hijack...back to the original topic....

Upstate - Greenville.

When I talk about the "family plan", I mean it's a bunch of patients either all with the same complaint, or the most varied problems, but, "since we're here"...what sdn1977 said, I hadn't thought about - these folks just all come in, instead of one to split the Rx (or so it seems). My take is they all come (or, if one kid has a fever, mom signs all of them in, so there's 3 or 4 more that are FINE, but still have to be seen).