Zofran linked to Arryhthmias

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ketafol20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Might as well take out most of the anti-emetics except for Dexamethasone.

Most "prolong Qt" to some degree... but has anybody had a real issue with any of these in light of a normal QTc?

No surprise. It's not a new fact. It shows up in textbooks -- proof enough that it is not new. The FDA is just a little behind. They'll pull up some other drug in a couple of months from a known long list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might as well take out most of the anti-emetics except for Dexamethasone.

Most "prolong Qt" to some degree... but has anybody had a real issue with any of these in light of a normal QTc?

No. It's B.S. Droperidol is just as safe as well as long as you stick with LOW DOSE like 0.625 mg (my preference) or 1.25 mg I.V.

We all know they both prolong the Qt. Not a problem 99.999% of the time for either drugs but I do make sure that Droperidol and Zofran are not given together (I prefer 30 minutes apart or more).

Well obviously Sevo was speaking tongue in cheek. And those old enough to remember Droperiidol have seen this BS come before.

Question however is, whatcha gonna use if your pharmacy/hospital decides to remove zofran like many did with drop.

Well obviously Sevo was speaking tongue in cheek. And those old enough to remember Droperiidol have seen this BS come before.

Question however is, whatcha gonna use if your pharmacy/hospital decides to remove zofran like many did with drop.

Tell them its BS. Explain that it's safe. Most of all, it's effective and cheap which is what they want to hear.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18648229

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15915019

http://www.csahq.org/pdf/bulletin/droperidol_58_1.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21091329

Last edited:
Zofran Side Effects Linked to Heart Rhythm Problems, FDA Warns

Add Your Comments

Share http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/zofran-heart-warning-21102/#

Published: September 16th, 2011

Federal health regulators are warning that side effects of Zofran, an anti-nausea drug sold by GlaxoSmithKline, could cause potentially fatal abnormal heart rhythms.
The FDA issued a drug safety communication on September 15, alerting doctors and patients to changes in the electrical activity of the heart that have been linked to Zofran.
The potential heart problems from Zofran can lead to heart arrhythmia, including QT prolongation and Torsade de Pointes, which can be lethal. Although warnings have been on the drug’s label about the risk of QT prolongation, additional information is being required by the federal drug regulators.
GlaxoSmithKline has been ordered to update the label for Zofran to include more information about the risk of abnormal heart rhythms. The warning will urge doctors to avoid use of the drug in patients with congenital long QT syndrome and will recommend electrocardiogram monitoring for patients with electrolyte abnormalities, congestive heart failure, bradyarrhythmias, or in patients taking other drugs known to affect heart rhythms.
The FDA has also charged Glaxo with conducting a study to assess the extent of the heart rhythm side effects of Zofran. The agency expects the results of that study to be out by the summer of 2012.
Zofran (ondansetron) is approved to prevent nausea and vomiting. It is a member of a class of drugs called 5-HT3 receptor antagonists and works by blocking the actions of serotonin. It can be administered either as a pill, an oral solution, or as an injection.
The FDA recommends that patients taking Zofran seek immediate care if they experience an irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, dizziness or fainting. However, the agency notes that individuals should not stop taking the medication without first talking to their healthcare professional.

What is said is a little misleading on that article. Although they mention some of the reports to the FDA on droperidol, what it fails to say is that on all the reports used by the FDA, some of them came from the same hospital on the same day! Isn't that fishy?

Also, it should be said that all the 5-HT3 antagonists have peer-reviewed case reports of serious cardiac arryhthmias, yet there has NEVER been a peer-reviewed case report of serious cardiac arrhythmia from droperidol at the PONV doses.

Stupid FDA.

No. It's B.S. Droperidol is just as safe as well as long as you stick with LOW DOSE like 0.625 mg (my preference) or 1.25 mg I.V.

We all know they both prolong the Qt. Not a problem 99.999% of the time for either drugs but I do make sure that Droperidol and Zofran are not given together (I prefer 30 minutes apart or more).

I use a lot of droperidol here - 0.5mg in most, 0.25mg in the elderly - have never had a problem, nor have I heard of any from colleagues.

Ondansetron is given even more commonly (first line) -again, never had a problem, but I've spoken to a few who have

I've never seen an anesthesiologist in europe check a QT before giving any anti-emetic drug.

Reactions: 1 user