Zoloft vs. Sertraline, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pharmhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine is having issues with copays on her Zoloft. The pharmacy wants to give her the generic because Zoloft's patent expired, but it is not working for her AND she has a bunch of adverse side effects (including insomnia). She now has to pay the difference between the generic and brand name drug when she fills her prescription (the alternative being a drug that's ineffective for her in addition to using AmbienCR). She asked me for some advice on this topic, and I thought this would be great place to ask, being as you guys are immersed in studies about this stuff and she can monitor the thread. I am looking forward to having the knowledge to help my friends answer these questions, but I have yet to start my PharmD education. Anyway, she asked the question pasted below, but I'm sure would appreciate any advice at all that you could offer.

Do you know where I can find studies that have compared the efficacy of Zoloft with its generic "equivalent" (Sertraline)? I know I can't be the only one who's having this problem.

Are there any articles that can be accessed from journals that would be available to a library in a state campus in TX that may possibly not have too much technical jargon in them?

Thanks a million!

Members don't see this ad.

The generics being sold have been declared bioequivalent to the brand by the FDA. There should be no difference in the way it works. The issue might be psychological. The FDA site might have records from the approval of the generic Sertraline.

Someone already addressed the FDA/bioequivalence issue, which is about all we can or should get into on here. These forums are not for personal medical advice for ourselves or others. It would be best for your friend to discuss this issue with her pharmacist or physician.

Status
Not open for further replies.