MD Zoom interview with PI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Trafalgar Law

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
M1 here. So I have been cold-emailing a bunch of professors for my specialty of interest to start getting the ball rolling for research since it's a competitive field. One professor finally bit and said he wants to have a ZOOM call with me next week.

He didn't explicitly say it's an interview, but I just wanted to know what I should expect or what I should do in advance? It's my first time getting involved in research at all in medicine (I had minimal, non-medicine related research in undergrad) so I don't want to mess up this opportunity.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you caught up with the manga? :pirate:🏴‍☠️

Read about the PI's research and papers online so you are familiar on topic and show interest. It's usually a casual chat

Reactions: 1 users
Are you caught up with the manga? :pirate:🏴‍☠️

Read about the PI's research and papers online so you are familiar on topic and show interest. It's usually a casual chat
Ok cool, makes sense thanks

Yeah I am haha, the manga's been top notch as of late

Reactions: 1 user
"One piece" of advice is to make sure you leave knowing what his/her expectations for you are in the lab. E.g. what are the specific tasks you can do, how many hours do students dedicate, what is the general timeline for all the steps in the research project, are you going to be writing the paper, who you should contact for further questions, etc. Try to ask as many questions as you can, you don't want to come off as uninterested or disengaged by asking too little questions (what my PI told me he looks for when he interviews med students for his lab).

Sorry for the joke (not really)

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users