Zoom Pre-Interview Dinner Dress Code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

You're My Boy Blue

Second Time's a Charm
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you all wearing (men and women) to Zoom happy hours and pre-interview "dinners"?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll wear the same thing as if it was in person- a button down and a pair of slacks. I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks

Reactions: 7 users
I plan on wearing a button up and a sports coat as if it was a real in person cocktail event

Members don't see this ad :)
From a (female) resident perspective - I will be in scrubs bc a lot of these for me are right before night float or if at home I will be in comfy, clean clothes, probably the embroidered residency fleece. I think what you wear to these social hours will matter less this year because everyone knows you are at home and it's not going to be like a "why is that dude in a ratty t-shirt and cargo shorts in this nice restaurant when he knew he was meeting potential future colleagues and everyone else is in business casual?". I would never willingly wear a button down in mY oWN hoMe and if I were a student this year would probably do a black boatneck top or turtleneck sweater, which is also what I did last year, but this year they would be paired with joggers or leggings instead of slacks.

From a (female) resident perspective - I will be in scrubs bc a lot of these for me are right before night float or if at home I will be in comfy, clean clothes, probably the embroidered residency fleece. I think what you wear to these social hours will matter less this year because everyone knows you are at home and it's not going to be like a "why is that dude in a ratty t-shirt and cargo shorts in this nice restaurant when he knew he was meeting potential future colleagues and everyone else is in business casual?". I would never willingly wear a button down in mY oWN hoMe and if I were a student this year would probably do a black boatneck top or turtleneck sweater, which is also what I did last year, but this year they would be paired with joggers or leggings instead of slacks.
We had an open house where someone wore a collared shirt and a tie and I had on my husband’s t shirt. :laugh:

But as a female, id likely just wear a nice, neutral top. Probs leggings because who cares lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Business casual at the least. I would wear a button down and a sport coat. I think it shows that you have respect for the program and want to make a good impresion. Its just one of those situations where it probably wont help much, but a sloppy or too casual appearance may hurt you.

Reactions: 1 user
From the resident side - as I'm thinking about this I realize that I have actually paid zero attention to what the applicants were wearing for the virtual dinners and other events we've had so far. I have worn anything from business casual clinic clothes to scrubs to a sweatshirt and leggings. Honestly I think as long as you're wearing something neutral - not overly dressy, not like a torn up old t shirt - just a plain non-wrinkly t-shirt, button down, or casual top would be 100% fine. We know things are different this year, you're at home and maybe just getting home from clinical responsibilities instead of taking a trip to town to see us where you don't have much other stuff to do.
For real the only reason i noticed the guy with the tie was because he was in a tie.

Reactions: 1 user
I do these meet and greets for the med school interviewees and what is far more noticeable than what they are wearing is their surroundings. No matter how well they are dressed, if their room looks like they are still in Jr. High, it really sticks out.

From the resident side - as I'm thinking about this I realize that I have actually paid zero attention to what the applicants were wearing for the virtual dinners and other events we've had so far.

In professional situations, the best outfits are the ones that go unnoticed. That was my approach for medical school interviews.

I can't imagine having to attend a Zoom "dinner" as an applicant. The awkwardness must be painful as hell. I hope there are hard end times for the meetings to make the goodbyes less uncomfortable.

Reactions: 4 users
From the resident side - as I'm thinking about this I realize that I have actually paid zero attention to what the applicants were wearing for the virtual dinners and other events we've had so far. I have worn anything from business casual clinic clothes to scrubs to a sweatshirt and leggings. Honestly I think as long as you're wearing something neutral - not overly dressy, not like a torn up old t shirt - just a plain non-wrinkly t-shirt, button down, or casual top would be 100% fine. We know things are different this year, you're at home and maybe just getting home from clinical responsibilities instead of taking a trip to town to see us where you don't have much other stuff to do.

The only one I remember is the one who wore a sweatshirt. For OP, it really doesn't matter but the safest option is a neutral non-athletic shirt or sweater.

I can't imagine having to attend a Zoom "dinner" as an applicant. The awkwardness must be painful as hell. I hope there are hard end times for the meetings to make the goodbyes less uncomfortable.

Like our pre-interview dinners, there are absolutely hard ends to these meetings. They honestly feel more painful for us then the applicants so far. Nothing better than spending your evening after work, spending another 2 hours on the computer for recruitment without even the benefit or time-saving aspect of a nice simultaneous dinner.

Its been fine, but I've spent enough Zoom time for recruitment for the rest of my life honestly. Between the open houses, virtual conferences/residency fairs, and now pre-interview dinners and interview presentations, I'm done. Still have most of the season left...

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly from the applicant side of things they drag on and I really appreciate the programs that choose to just embed a Q&A in the interview day— rather than just spending my evening trying to come up with more questions and these often go beyond the designated hour.

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly from the applicant side of things they drag on and I really appreciate the programs that choose to just embed a Q&A in the interview day— rather than just spending my evening trying to come up with more questions and these often go beyond the designated hour.
When I was interviewing last year, my number 1 program's dinner kept dragging and dragging....Eventually me and another applicant just decided to get up and say our goodbyes. We were already 3 hours deep, exhausted, and desperate to go home and sleep for interview day. Please make hard stops to these events.

Reactions: 3 users

We actually have both (which is what we had during regular seasons as well). A 1.5-2 hour thing with resident the night before - right now its just intros, break out rooms with rotating residents, and then some game time through JackBox games, which has actually been fun. The day of interview there is a lot of built in break time, but also an hour at lunch time for more of an open forum for residents.

When I was interviewing last year, my number 1 program's dinner kept dragging and dragging....Eventually me and another applicant just decided to get up and say our goodbyes. We were already 3 hours deep, exhausted, and desperate to go home and sleep for interview day. Please make hard stops to these events.

3 hours is crazy. What were they doing? Testing you? We are harped on constantly to get stuff done by 8/8:30PM so people can sleep before the interview. Ain't nobody got time for 3+ hrs of pre-interview dinner.

Nothing special – just a white button-up shirt and nothing underneath. Since the guys who interview me won’t see the bottom, I wear hope sportive shorts and slippers.
Don't be so sure. Someone i know was asked to stand up during a zoom interview for their sports med fellowship. It could be embarrassing. Put the pants on. If I was doing zoom interviews, I would probably do the same. Then I would stand up and reveal my shorts and slippers.

I can't believe people wear shorts or other stuff instead of normal clothes for this stuff. If your pants are THAT uncomfortable you need some new pants brother

Lol I interviewed for an attending job with full shirt/coat/tie on top, and sweatpants on the bottom. I even got complimented on being the only guy to put on a suit during COVID!