2009-2010 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

1) One of the four pillars of the Western Reserve2 Curriculum is Research and Scholarship. Although research is not a pre-requisite requirement for the University Program, if you have participated in research or another scholarly project please tell us about it. Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you. Remember that research is broad-based and can include such projects as a senior capstone or a thesis and can include both medical and non-medically-related investigations. Please limit your response to 1 page (about 3,500 characters), and leave a blank line between paragraphs. If you cut and paste your essay from a word processing program, be sure to place your cursor at the end of the pasted text and click on the space bar. This assures that the program will save your text correctly.

2) The Admissions Committee is interested in gaining further insight into you as a person. Please describe the experience which you found most personally challenging to this point in your life and discuss how it helped shape you as a person. You may discuss a moral or ethical dilemma, situation of personal adversity or other life-event you believe to have been an important hurdle for you. Please limit your essay to 1 page (about 3,500 characters) and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

LOR Reqs

Please remember that we require 3-5 letters of recommendation or a committee letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are all the case people at!:). Im really excited about case, and while i do want to stay in cali, if thats not an option case is one of my top choices for sure. Dr mehta made me fall in love with the school:p

Case has a nice program in conjunction with CCLCM. Excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
bumping it just because i love case that much :p

bumping it just because i love case that much :p
You need to make an MDapps. I'm going to the threads of every school I applied to this week and you're in all of them. I say we form an alliance and destroy some of these 39 MCAT panheads!

You need to make an MDapps. I'm going to the threads of every school I applied to this week and you're in all of them. I say we form an alliance and destroy some of these 39 MCAT panheads!
ahha serious. Yay for us average kids?:smuggrin:. I had an mdapps but i took it off becuase im really easily identifiable from my experiences. I applied to like 45 schools....so theres a good guess im applying to most of your schools (and everyone elses) lol :p

Oooo ooo ooo...Can I join your alliance?:highfive:
Purdy pleeeease? :D haha

Hi all. I too am applying to Case

Oooo ooo ooo...Can I join your alliance?:highfive:
Purdy pleeeease? :D haha
Age 24, post-bac, hell yah!

I looked at your MDapps. You said your MCAT was in the 20s and you got an interview? Case isn't super numbers based? Man I hope that's true...

Where are all the case people at!:). Im really excited about case, and while i do want to stay in cali, if thats not an option case is one of my top choices for sure. Dr mehta made me fall in love with the school:p

same here, but Myuu made me fall in love with the school :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Case/CCLCM screen secondaries? No, right?

Mannn if I got into CCLCM...the only schools that would trump that are Harvard (maybe.) and upper-tier CA schools.

Age 24, post-bac, hell yah!

I looked at your MDapps. You said your MCAT was in the 20s and you got an interview? Case isn't super numbers based? Man I hope that's true...

Oh no, I didn't say that...someone else wrote that on my MDapps wall, so no telling the validity behind that statement. I still don't know if I'm going to apply to Case...I'm not a fan of OH

Oh no, I didn't say that...someone else wrote that on my MDapps wall, so no telling the validity behind that statement. I still don't know if I'm going to apply to Case...I'm not a fan of OH
i'm not a fan of you

I grew up in OH, so that's what side I'm on.

Last edited:
Go bucks! (and ohio) im applying to case

i grew up in cleveland, suburbs (solon high), but i'm actually gonna be a senior at duke.

i looked at last year's secondary and there is an optional essay about research activities.

I have plenty of research activities, but don't really want to write that essay I have plenty of other things to do right now.

What do you guys think if I leave the optional essay unanswered but then they will see that I have research experience and did not write the essay?

Will it affect my application negatively ?

i looked at last year's secondary and there is an optional essay about research activities.

I have plenty of research activities, but don't really want to write that essay I have plenty of other things to do right now.

What do you guys think if I leave the optional essay unanswered but then they will see that I have research experience and did not write the essay?

Think about it this way... if you end up at Case for an interview, and they ask you, "Well, I've been looking at your app and noticed that you have research experience but didn't write our essay about it. Why is that?"

It's embarrassing to say, "Oh sorry, I was too lazy to do so."

Also, I may be wrong on this one, but I don't think they mean optional in terms of "don't do it if you don't feel like it"-- it's more of an "if you don't have experience at all then don't freak out because having an answer to this essay is not required to be complete."

Think about it this way... if you end up at Case for an interview, and they ask you, "Well, I've been looking at your app and noticed that you have research experience but didn't write our essay about it. Why is that?"

It's embarrassing to say, "Oh sorry, I was too lazy to do so."

Also, I may be wrong on this one, but I don't think they mean optional in terms of "don't do it if you don't feel like it"-- it's more of an "if you don't have experience at all then don't freak out because having an answer to this essay is not required to be complete."

I completely agree. We are all busy, but the essay needs to be written. If it takes you a couple extra days/weeks to find the time, that shouldn't be a problem. Just find the time.

If you've got significant research experience, please write that essay.:thumbup:

(I didn't, but my research experience was more paid employment than academic investigation...)

If you've got significant research experience, please write that essay.:thumbup:

(I didn't, but my research experience was more paid employment than academic investigation...)
I find myself in this predicament. I've been an R&D engineer for the last two years and haven't really done much academic research, but a ton of commercial stuff for our products.

Hopefully Case likes engineers. It looks like it worked out for you :D

I find myself in this predicament. I've been an R&D engineer for the last two years and haven't really done much academic research, but a ton of commercial stuff for our products.

As a matter of fact, Case does like engineers.:thumbup::D

Last edited:
Yeah, iapply doesn't list your app year yet.

It's https:/iapply.case.edu, though whenever you guys get the go-ahead!:thumbup::luck:
im expecting you to put in a good word and make sure that im accepted myuu...can i count on you!!!!!:p

I'm applying to Case, so hello everyone. And as far as the optional essay, I would take every opportunity I got to tell the school more about myself. CCLCM is really big on research and you never know what that essay could do to bolster your app. And it would be worth taking the time to write it if you got into CCLCM because it's tuition free (not to mention the other ways that it's totally awesome).

I'm applying to Case, so hello everyone. And as far as the optional essay, I would take every opportunity I got to tell the school more about myself. CCLCM is really big on research and you never know what that essay could do to bolster your app. And it would be worth taking the time to write it if you got into CCLCM because it's tuition free (not to mention the other ways that it's totally awesome).

I think that essay is not optional if you're applying to CCLCM, but I'm not sure...

You probably already know this, but interviews start mid-September.

You probably already know this, but interviews start mid-September.

Mid-September? I hope that means the secondaries will come out soon.

Does Case/CCLCM screen secondaries? No, right?
Right.

I assume no one got a secondary yet?
They'll be coming out soon. Just so everyone knows, if you're applying to CCLCM, don't start working on the secondary based on last year's questions. Our program has new secondary questions this year.

Case is a huge engineering school. I think like a third of my class were engineering majors.

I think that essay is not optional if you're applying to CCLCM, but I'm not sure...
Right. If you're applying to CCLCM or MSTP, you need to write the research essay. And even if you're applying to the UP, it's still a good idea.

Good luck, you guys. The new class just started this week, so try to be understanding if the admissions office is a little slow in responding right now. (At CCLCM, the admissions office doubles as the student affairs office.)

Case is a huge engineering school. I think like a third of my class were engineering majors.

do you there's a reason why so many engineers get accepted? or is this just coincidence?

do you there's a reason why so many engineers get accepted? or is this just coincidence?
It's probably a selection bias because of self-selection by engineers. What I mean is that a lot of engineers apply to CCLCM, so the applicant pool has a disproportionately large number of them. They don't have a greater chance of being accepted just because they're engineers, but the engineers just outnumber a lot of the other majors. Plus, engineering is huge at Case, and there are some students who went to UG at Case and then stayed for med school.

I think a lot of engineering majors apply here because their training tends to be analogous to the style of our curriculum. Anyone who is an engineering major usually has tons of experience doing projects in groups, solving problems as a team, and of course research.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to tell you guys--one of the first sets of AMCAS apps came in via FedEX to the UP admissions office the other day.

You excited yet??:thumbup::luck:

id be more excited if i had a real shot and their secondary essays were soooooo long :(. After filling out like 20 secondaries so far im done lol. Its hard for me to fill out ones like mt sinai and case where I have less then a .0001 chance.

But we love nontrads! Just do it!
Do you know if they will be the same 2 questions as last year? I forgot to ask dr mehta when she came to our school :(

Status
Not open for further replies.