2019-2020 Case Western Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope CWRU, and other schools, can share best practices and improve access for medical schools across the country. Thank you to all admissions staff who I imagine are working around the clock to make last minute changes and serve us in making informed decisions! We appreciate you!

I hear ya. We definitely all talk and I’m sure it will be a topic of discussion at future meetings. We already have some ideas but let me know if you guys have something in particular you’d like to see of hear. We’ll see if it’s feasible or not. Either pass it along here or email me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
for the deans scholarship app, when it asks if you are willing to disclose the other schools you have offers from did yall just answer yes/no or write the names of the school?

for the deans scholarship app, when it asks if you are willing to disclose the other schools you have offers from did yall just answer yes/no or write the names of the school?

Why wouldn't you...? I can't really see the purpose or benefit in withholding that information, could you clue me in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why wouldn't you...? I can't really see the purpose or benefit in withholding that information, could you clue me in?
was just curious didnt want to just randomly throw names in for a prompt if they werent looking for them

Any idea when we should hear back about financial aid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any idea when we should hear back about financial aid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The merit scholarship applications noted a response time range within the week of April 6th. With everything going on, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed back everyone's financial aid notices to fall within that week, but I'm not sure.

I got mine back within a week after March 1, but they only offered me loans, so it probably didn't take them that long to figure that out lol

Reactions: 3 users
anybody hear back about dean's scholarship consideration yet post application?

anybody hear back about dean's scholarship consideration yet post application?
Are you asking about the invitation to apply or notification of award amount? The invitation to apply was included with acceptances letters if applicable, but, as far as I know, award amounts have not gone out yet.

Can any current M3/M4's speak to how clerkships are graded? What percentage get P/HP/H? How important are subjective evals from preceptors?

Reactions: 1 users
FYI: A friend of mine asked the financial aid office yesterday about when the packages for merit scholarship recipients will be coming out, and they replied and said they are waiting on the scholarship decisions and then will assemble aid packages ASAP. They are hoping for this week but may be delayed, understandably, because of all the craziness.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IIRC from last year's thread, we can't stack need based and merit beyond 40k? Can anyone independently confirm that?

IIRC from last year's thread, we can't stack need based and merit beyond 40k? Can anyone independently confirm that?

As far as I remember you can't stack need and merit at all (or at least that's what I wrote from my interview)

As far as I remember you can't stack need and merit at all (or at least that's what I wrote from my interview)

Kudos to you for dutifully paying attention during the financial aid presentation. I would zone out for financial aid basically every interview. And that's a bummer, thanks for the quick reply. First drop date is about here

Kudos to you for dutifully paying attention during the financial aid presentation. I would zone out for financial aid basically every interview. And that's a bummer, thanks for the quick reply. First drop date is about here

No problem! I would probably double-check with the school though before making any rash decision, though, tbh.

But otherwise you're right -- case would be the bomb if they were better about aid :(

i have some questions for current case students, if there are any on this thread? :)

i have some questions for current case students, if there are any on this thread? :)
I'm sure the admissions office would also be happy to help connect you with the students you're looking for, if you don't have success on this thread!

Has anyone gotten/been able to view a complete financial aid package w/ any scholarships, need-based aid, and/or loans? I would like to get a complete overview but can't seem to find anything that combines everything.

I was told that they would have the full financial aid package in by today or tomorrow. We are getting dangerously close to the deadline.

Edit: To cut down to 3 programs.

Last edited:
Is there anyone in here who rejected their acceptance from Case and haven't seen their acceptance disappear from AMCAS? I declined them like a month ago at this point and received their "why don't you want us" survey, but their acceptance is still showing up under Choose Your Medical School and I'm getting concerned about it looking like I'm holding more than 3 acceptances when I'm really not...

Is there anyone in here who rejected their acceptance from Case and haven't seen their acceptance disappear from AMCAS? I declined them like a month ago at this point and received their "why don't you want us" survey, but their acceptance is still showing up under Choose Your Medical School and I'm getting concerned about it looking like I'm holding more than 3 acceptances when I'm really not...

I just checked and they still show up on my CYMS tool despite withdrawing >1 week ago

It's their way of getting back at you. You don't want them? Well they're going to make it so other schools don't want you :couchpotato:

• Haha
I just withdrew my A and scholarship. Good luck to whoever gets both, this is a great school.

Withdrew from University Program and scholarship!! Good luck yall!

@CWRU.Sman Do you know/Can you disclose if merit aid awarded to applicants that ultimately withdraw their acceptances is redistributed to other merit aid recipients that matriculate? If so, does officially accepting offered merit aid prior to this redistribution disqualify applicants from merit aid increases? It seems that some schools redistribute un-accepted merit aid or offer it to applicants accepted off the WL, and others do not, so I'm wondering how CWRU does things.

I'm on the Alternate List, and received an email asking me if I remained interested in Case. The letter also asked me to send a Letter of Intent if Case was my top choice.

Did everyone else on the Alternate List receive this email too?

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
I'm on the Alternate List, and received an email asking me if I remained interested in Case. The letter also asked me to send a Letter of Intent if Case was my top choice.

Did everyone else on the Alternate List receive this email too?
+1

I think it’s basically saying send a LOI if you want to go to case and it’ll probably make an impact. I would guess it got sent to everyone on WL.

Last edited:
Hey I just wanted to remind everyone to check your email's spam folder! I just found my financial aid package there after a whole week. :smack:

Have they still not sent need based aid? Bro, it's the 20th. I must be missing something
The comprehensive financial aid letter will include any need-based aid, if offered. I'd like to second the advice to check your spam too. That's where mine was, for both my personal email and CWRU email.

Hey everyone! Trying to be proactive and think about living arrangements next year. Does anybody know of a GroupMe or some resource, besides the FB page, to connect with other incoming first years to find a roommate? Thanks !

Hey everyone! Trying to be proactive and think about living arrangements next year. Does anybody know of a GroupMe or some resource, besides the FB page, to connect with other incoming first years to find a roommate? Thanks !

Yes this exists - you should have gotten an email admissions about a class-wide groupme (on 3/20/20 I got this email) as well as the option to join smaller groups based on your geographical region.

I would just shoot a quick email to admissions if you don't have these links and ask them to send you the info to join them.

I just withdrew. CWRU is an absolute dream school, and it hurt like hell to hit that "decline" button (I literally shed tears haha), but it was just so dang expensive and far away. Y'all will love it! Best of luck to everyone.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know whether classes will be online in July?

They haven't said anything official yet - I have a friend who's an M1 who showed me an email that made it seem they are extremely motivated to be in person by "the fall," but I'm not sure if they are going to count early July as the fall. But I think if we have be online for a few weeks, they'll at least try to get us in person as soon into the semester as possible!

• Love
Made an account today just to share this information: I got a call around 1 PM and was accepted from the alternate list!

Reactions: 3 users
I explicitly asked admissions about this in order to make moving arrangements. I was told that there will be a mixture of virtual and in-person requirements and that classes will start on time. They did say they are still currently discussing the details, so I expect they will make an official announcement in the coming weeks.