2011-2012 Dartmouth Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Please indicate your plans for the 2011-12 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job.

2) Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a reasonable applicant for Dartmouth except for the fact that I do not yet have 3hrs Calculus. My primary has already been verified and I did not list any "future classes". What would be my most strategic approach from here? Should I write a letter of intent stating that I plan to take the class before August 2012 and then add Dartmouth to my primary school list?

Thanks for the help!

Applying MD/MS here. Does anyone know if I have to fill out the grad app too?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a reasonable applicant for Dartmouth except for the fact that I do not yet have 3hrs Calculus. My primary has already been verified and I did not list any "future classes". What would be my most strategic approach from here? Should I write a letter of intent stating that I plan to take the class before August 2012 and then add Dartmouth to my primary school list?

Thanks for the help!

I doubt the Adcom uses prerequisite completion (or promised completion) as a deciding factor. The way it usually works is that you get a list at some point (pre interview, post interview, post acceptance, depending on the school) detailing the course requirements. If you get an acceptance and still haven't taken Calc, (and can't take it before August of 2012) that would be... sub-optimal. But they're not going to pick one student over another because they did or didn't list calculus/biochem/whatever as a current/future course.

I doubt the Adcom uses prerequisite completion (or promised completion) as a deciding factor. The way it usually works is that you get a list at some point (pre interview, post interview, post acceptance, depending on the school) detailing the course requirements. If you get an acceptance and still haven't taken Calc, (and can't take it before August of 2012) that would be... sub-optimal. But they're not going to pick one student over another because they did or didn't list calculus/biochem/whatever as a current/future course.

According to MSAR the application does NOT require a MCAT... is this true?! If so, how heavily do they weigh other parameters of one's app?

According to MSAR the application does NOT require a MCAT... is this true?! If so, how heavily do they weigh other parameters of one's app?

The admission page says: "All candidates are expected to present scores from the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Students who choose not to submit MCAT scores will be at a disadvantage."

So I guess MCAT is more or less required unless there's a really good reason for not taking the test

Just applied to Dartmouth. I love the sound of this program! I think the only drawback to this school, since I'm from Florida, is that I would possibly freeze to death.

$130...i foresee an empty bank account in the near future...

people with waivers sure lucked out..

Does anyone know how long our answers are allowed to be for the two secondary app questions. Just testing out the system, it allows me to keep typing but I don't want it to somehow get cut off.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
$130...i foresee an empty bank account in the near future...

people with waivers sure lucked out..

Yep, it was pretty awesome to grow up without money. :thumbup: I totally loved having to get food baskets from the local church when I was a kid because we couldn't afford food from the grocery store.

Okay, snide comment done. :p I can't decide whether to apply to Dartmouth! Pros and cons, anyone?

First secondary received. Let the fun begin!

For the second question, do you guys think it is a good idea to discuss why I'm applying to Dartmouth?

Hey all - is there a character limit on the secondary?

1) Please indicate your plans for the 2011-12 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job.

2) Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

In regards to the first question, I already spoke at length about my current job in my primary application (I even made it a significant activity). Do you think it would be okay to be sparse on the details for the secondary? The DMS secondary instructions make a pretty big deal out of not wanting repeated information...

As someone who was admitted last cycle, I'd say it's important to use the secondary essay to say something about yourself that isn't otherwise captured in your application. It doesn't have to be med school related, but just give them a reason to think you're an interesting person. You could also just re-use an essay from another school's secondary that you feel turned out particularly well (it worked in my case).

I think "Why Darmouth?" can be appropriate, but your reasons should be compelling. Dartmouth is a lot different than your typical medical school in the northeast, so you should really highlight how those differences are in line with your career goals and past experiences. There's an unusual amount of information on Darmouth throughout SDN, so take advantage of the search function and learn about what makes this school unique.

Also, don't lose hope if you don't hear back from Dartmouth for the next 6 months. They actively reject, but take their sweet time handing out interviews/acceptances/WL spots. Personally, I submitted the secondary in early August but didn't actually interview until Feb. Good Luck!

As someone who was admitted last cycle, I'd say it's important to use the secondary essay to say something about yourself that isn't otherwise captured in your application. It doesn't have to be med school related, but just give them a reason to think you're an interesting person. You could also just re-use an essay from another school's secondary that you feel turned out particularly well (it worked in my case).

I think "Why Darmouth?" can be appropriate, but your reasons should be compelling. Dartmouth is a lot different than your typical medical school in the northeast, so you should really highlight how those differences are in line with your career goals and past experiences. There's an unusual amount of information on Darmouth throughout SDN, so take advantage of the search function and learn about what makes this school unique.

Also, don't lose hope if you don't hear back from Dartmouth for the next 6 months. They actively reject, but take their sweet time handing out interviews/acceptances/WL spots. Personally, I submitted the secondary in early August but didn't actually interview until Feb. Good Luck!

How is Dartmouth a lot different than the typical medical schools in the northeast? Can you explain a bit more?

Do you think it is appropriate for me to discuss why first MCAT went poorly? I scored a 22 last August and then a 32 this March. In general, is it a good idea to discuss this in any of my secondaries? Thanks for the advice.

How is Dartmouth a lot different than the typical medical schools in the northeast? Can you explain a bit more?

Again, there's a lot of information about DMS on these forums, so I'll leave it up to you to find the bulk of the info. But some highlights would be:

- Location is very rural
- Small school, small class, small primary teaching hospital
- 3rd year is unique here, as DMS has a ton of affiliated hospitals in additon to DHMC. Clinical sites are in San Fransisco, AZ, Alaska and many other locations.
- An unusual amount of money/opportunities available for students to do international work. This is definitely a magnet school for students interested in global health (Google Jim Yong Kim, current president of Dartmouth).
- For more nitty gritty info, just search the school's website and these forums. It's a unique place, and if it's a good fit for you, let them know.

I won't be around SDN much (if ever) after today, but feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions. I won't actually be matriculating at DMS, but I really did love the school.

Again, there's a lot of information about DMS on these forums, so I'll leave it up to you to find the bulk of the info. But some highlights would be:

- Location is very rural
- Small school, small class, small primary teaching hospital
- 3rd year is unique here, as DMS has a ton of affiliated hospitals in additon to DHMC. Clinical sites are in San Fransisco, AZ, Alaska and many other locations.
- An unusual amount of money/opportunities available for students to do international work. This is definitely a magnet school for students interested in global health (Google Jim Yong Kim, current president of Dartmouth).
- For more nitty gritty info, just search the school's website and these forums. It's a unique place, and if it's a good fit for you, let them know.

I won't be around SDN much (if ever) after today, but feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions. I won't actually be matriculating at DMS, but I really did love the school.

Thanks so much!

How long is everyone's responses to the secondary questions?

I wrote a paragraph for the second question and simply provided a list of courses for the first question. Hope that's enough.

Does anyone know how good it's primary care training is?

I send my secondary application during the weekend and just got the File complete e-mail from them.

If anyone has basic questions about the admissions process let me know!! I'll be starting in August so later on I'll be able to help with more specific questions regarding the curriculum, and anything else.

Good luck to all of you.

Can anyone (esp those who have previously interviewed) comment on the appropriate length of the secondary? My explanation of my plans and my secondary essay come to just under 1000 words. This seems a bit long, but it does the job.

Thoughts?

Can anyone (esp those who have previously interviewed) comment on the appropriate length of the secondary? My explanation of my plans and my secondary essay come to just under 1000 words. This seems a bit long, but it does the job.

Thoughts?

Hey,

Haven't previously interviewed or anything before, but my secondary essay is at 375 words right now (about 2 paragraphs), it might top out at around 400. I'm guessing there will be a lot of variation with the length people choose for this essay though

:) Good luck

Thoughts?

I don't remember if it has a limit, but I say if it you're not being redundant and keeping it to the point then you should be fine.

Thoughts?

My second essay came to about 600 words (3000+ characters). I think the post above about not being redundant applies, but I just chose to "air out" my interest in DMS. Of course it helps to have a genuine interest in DMS rather than being interested in their reputation. I flipped this secondary in under 24-hours, which I failed to do last year. I felt like I blew it on the secondary last year.

I will be starting in August too and I will try to help as much as I can.
I dont think there is a limit but try not to bore the admins. I think mine was around 800 words.

Good luck to everyone :)

when it says not to address anything that's already been mentioned. could i go deeper into my study abroad experience even though it's already under my application in my activities section?

when it says not to address anything that's already been mentioned. could i go deeper into my study abroad experience even though it's already under my application in my activities section?

I think that should be fine. I did the same thing, elaborated on an activity.

To convert quarter hours to semester hours, should I divide (qtr. hrs/1.5)? Just want to confirm before I commit to it.
Thanks!

Has anyone that already got a secondary not been verified yet?

So glad to hear this school is big on global medicine. I think I will cover interest in global health on this secondary, since I couldn't address it directly on my primary.

Good luck to all!

I went to a school that was on a trimester system and did not assign a credit-hour value to its classes. How should I list my classes on the last section of this application?

I went to a school that was on a trimester system and did not assign a credit-hour value to its classes. How should I list my classes on the last section of this application?

What did AMCAS convert to?

What did AMCAS convert to?

It doesn't show on the online application. They just told me to list what appeared on the transcript (1 credit in most cases) and they would take care of the conversions.

how competitive is it usually to get a secondary from dartmouth anyways? Is it similar to like GW where they spam secondaries?

how competitive is it usually to get a secondary from dartmouth anyways? Is it similar to like GW where they spam secondaries?

If you apply to dms, you get a secondary. It's not competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.