2011-2012 Dartmouth Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To convert quarter hours to semester hours, should I divide (qtr. hrs/1.5)? Just want to confirm before I commit to it.
Thanks!

I have the same question. Did people in quarter system schools simply convert by X/1.5?

EDIT: Oh, also, is there any way to save the application?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have the same question. Did people in quarter system schools simply convert by X/1.5?

EDIT: Oh, also, is there any way to save the application?

Do whatever is on the AMCAS. I believe if you have something other than semesters it will tell you your converted "semester hours" next to each class.

As for saving the application, it doesn't look like it unfortunately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do whatever is on the AMCAS. I believe if you have something other than semesters it will tell you your converted "semester hours" next to each class.

As for saving the application, it doesn't look like it unfortunately.

Agreed. I just used what was on AMCAS (4 credits = 2.7, 5 credits = 3.3, etc.)

Question 1

-Will be doing SMP. Listed courses. Stated doing research in metabolic disorders.
-Listed current job in medical defense.
-Stated that I moonlight occasionally as a lawyer but will be ending that before medical school.

Question 2

I am thinking of addressing my ****ty performance as an undergrad at Dartmouth and that I majored in the wrong subject as I didn't know what I was doing.

I also want to state that I did ****ty one semester in my post-bacc work because I had to prepare for a week-long trial (I am a lawyer) that couldn't be rescheduled that went down just after finals. I worked so hard and slept so little that time. Other than that, I have a 4.0 in every other semester of my prereqs.

Finally, I want to state that Dartmouth is my number one choice, that I have never seen a better College, that I used to study at the med school as an undergrad, that I have lived in Hanover, and that I would do almost anything to go back.

I haven't been verified yet but I have 2 secondary request thus far. One from GW and the other from here.

Same here. Got one from GW right after I submitted my primary and one from here earlier today. Guess my money is much needed right away!

Same thing for me. Received the GW and Dartmouth secondaries within 2 days of submitting to AMCAS. Hopefully AMCAS does not take the full 6 weeks to verify my application.

should i wait for AMCAS to verify my application before submitting my secondary?

DMS secondary complete. Review me generously oh great and powerful admissions committee.

I'm guessing the formatting when I enter my courses in the first essay will stay the same when I submit? I'm doing it as a list.

Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! just a quick question..I have been stressing over the LORs. Just to be sure, 2 letters from my science professors and one from my clinical research supervisor will suffice?

Assuming your school doesn't have a committee, then yes, you're good to go for Dartmouth:

http://dms.dartmouth.edu/admissions/instructions/

"A composite recommendation from your school's premedical committee or a packet of at least two individual letters from your school. If your school has no premedical committee, at least two individual letters are required. If you are in graduate school, a letter from your thesis advisor is expected as one of the two required letters."

What have you guys been writing for your second essay? Why Dartmouth? I feel like through my personal statement, my ECs, and my LORs they're going to know most important things about me, so I'm having trouble figuring out what to write for it. Also, about how long?

What have you guys been writing for your second essay? Why Dartmouth? I feel like through my personal statement, my ECs, and my LORs they're going to know most important things about me, so I'm having trouble figuring out what to write for it. Also, about how long?
This is your chance to say not why medicine/doctor, but why dartmouth specifically.

Mine was ~1 page double spaced

So is "why dartmouth" the standard question for essay 2? Did anyone do anything else or would that be a waste of an opportunity?

So is "why dartmouth" the standard question for essay 2? Did anyone do anything else or would that be a waste of an opportunity?

I didn't do "why dartmouth". I talked about other circumstances that may have raised flags in my case.

I talked about something interesting that I didnt get to talk about in detail in the rest of my app

Dartmouth secondary submitted! My first one!

I don't know why I am not seeing it, but how did you all spin the second question as asking "why dartmouth?" :confused: I would actually like to write about why dartmouth, but I don't quite see how it's answering the question. Thanks!

I talked about several past experiences I had, and how that makes me a potential good fit for DMS.

I don't know why I am not seeing it, but how did you all spin the second question as asking "why dartmouth?" :confused: I would actually like to write about why dartmouth, but I don't quite see how it's answering the question. Thanks!

I agree that it shouldn't be spun that way.

I don't know. That never occurred to me when I was writing the essays last year. Not a bad topic to discuss though.

To the bold text:

It would answer the question if your reasons for dartmouth match your goals as physician as stated through personal statement. In other words, if your reasons for pursuing medicine or your goals as physician match Dartmouth's mission. Just an idea. You could make whatever you want of it, as long as it adds to your overall story and application.

Last edited:

I think explaining why dartmouth definitely shares "something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere." I'm thinking I probably won't do "why dartmouth" but it seems perfectly legitimate to me.

So, for those of you who have finished this secondary, have any of you received an email saying that you're application is complete? Just wondering since some people last year seemed to be having problems with that!

So, for those of you who have finished this secondary, have any of you received an email saying that you're application is complete? Just wondering since some people last year seemed to be having problems with that!

yep got a complete email today

Just submitted the secondary. That second essay question took me a while to write.. But good luck to you all!

I got the email a few hours after I submitted my LORs.

I got the email a few hours after I submitted my LORs.

I did however get an email saying

Thank you applying to Dartmouth Medical School. Your secondary application was transmitted successfully. Once we have received your credit card payment or AMCAS fee waiver we will process your secondary application.

To complete your file, we need your verified AMCAS application and your letter(s) of recommendation through an approved AMCAS service. Questions about any of these items should be directed to AMCAS.

Please allow at least three weeks for confirmation of materials submitted to our office after the date that you have submitted your secondary application.

I have all green lights in the application status page but I have not gotten an email saying that I am complete. Anybody else having this problem?

I got this email the day after I submitted.

"Thank you for submitting your application materials to Dartmouth Medical School. Your file is now complete, and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for review.

Due to the large number of applications and the care taken in the reading of each file, our process at DMS can be a lengthy one. Please be assured that we will contact you by e-mail as soon as a decision has been made about your candidacy. It is therefore very important that you keep your mailing and e-mail addresses current in AMCAS throughout the application cycle."

"Thank you for submitting your application materials to Dartmouth Medical School. Your file is now complete, and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for review.

Due to the large number of applications and the care taken in the reading of each file, our process at DMS can be a lengthy one. Please be assured that we will contact you by e-mail as soon as a decision has been made about your candidacy. It is therefore very important that you keep your mailing and e-mail addresses current in AMCAS throughout the application cycle."
Yea I got the same one. Judging by last year's thread, we shouldn't expect to hear anything else until early August. That's when people started getting invites.

Ok, I got the same email today. I guess I was just being a little neurotic... :)

Assuming your school doesn't have a committee, then yes, you're good to go for Dartmouth:

http://dms.dartmouth.edu/admissions/instructions/

"A composite recommendation from your school's premedical committee or a packet of at least two individual letters from your school. If your school has no premedical committee, at least two individual letters are required. If you are in graduate school, a letter from your thesis advisor is expected as one of the two required letters."

So is it two or greater than two? Because the secondary says two letters...

Does Dartmouth send out secondary invites without having your MCAT score? I want to apply, but I haven't received my score back yet.

Does Dartmouth send out secondary invites without having your MCAT score? I want to apply, but I haven't received my score back yet.

Yes. I completed my secondary without having my score.

Dartmouth College is one of the most beautiful places on this planet. Good luck to all who are applying to DMS

- recent Dartmouth class of 2011 graduate

Dartmouth College is one of the most beautiful places on this planet. Good luck to all who are applying to DMS

- recent Dartmouth class of 2011 graduate

Undergrad or DMS?

Either way congrats.

By the way, I haven't met or spoken to one person who went to Dartmouth who didn't love Hanover.

Also Dartmouth undergrad here. Dartmouth is not for everyone, but what I can say is that people who feel that they "fit" in Hanover tend to love the school. It's a great school if its where you want to be and it's really not as isolated as some people say it is. I found that the Hanover "bubble" was actually a great thing. Sometimes it's good to be isolated from the real world!

If anyone has any questions about Hanover, I'm happy to answer them. My experience with the medical school is somewhat limited, but happy to share what I know.

Good luck everyone!

Just got the complete email today. Fingers crossed!!

Undergrad or DMS?

Either way congrats.

By the way, I haven't met or spoken to one person who went to Dartmouth who didn't love Hanover.

Undergrad.

DHMC - Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center is some ways down the highway (five minute drive) from campus, it looks like someone dropped it from the sky in the woods. There is also a new life sciences building that will be ready this fall that is supposed to blow the lid off of every other cool science building currently existing

gorgeous scenery - tough winters. but it almost makes you get to know the people around you that much better. be warned, Hanover is not for the big city-type. in fact, its downright boring. there would be only 2/3 places to go out for a drink on a friday/saturday night. it was fine as an undergrad, with the fraternity system.. can't imagine the culture as a DMS student is that thriving, but thats what you get. there are probably plenty of opportunities to interact with Tuck (the business school) kids, since they are in the same boat.

ive met with a few DMS people, and they are all friendly as can be. its a small town, and everyone seems to adopt a small town attitude no matter their position. i am sure there is a certain sense of pride in being out in the mountains of New Hampshire, and being involved in a accomplished medical setting - there was as an undergrad. the few DMS people i interacted with when I was there had nothing but good things to say (but who is going to bash their school to a stranger?)

whatever can be said, DMS will be a very different setting than most schools. if you have an open mind, and can handle a one-horse town, than this will be you in hanover -->:love:

When I sign in to my secondary app page and view a pdf of my secondary, there is no signature or date at the bottom. Is it like that for everyone? Also, does anyone have a different status besides "Your DMS secondary application has been received and is in process." right when you sign into the secondary app page (after submitting it of course).

I submitted my secondary and the PDF does not show a signature underneath the name on the last page either. I received a complete email from DMS Admissions, so I just don't think it fills that part in.

The status on the secondary application page itself won't change. The complete email is what shows they have processed everything.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.