2009-2010 University of California - Davis (UCD) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I know that UC Davis is part of the AMCAS letter service but on the supplemental application, it says to mail letters directly to them. Do you guys know if this information is outdated or if they actually want us to mail our letters directly to them???
I submitted my supplemental on 7/16 and I have a check mark on both supplemental and the fee, but I still have a red X next to the letters. Can anyone help me out here?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I know that UC Davis is part of the AMCAS letter service but on the supplemental application, it says to mail letters directly to them. Do you guys know if this information is outdated or if they actually want us to mail our letters directly to them???
I submitted my supplemental on 7/16 and I have a check mark on both supplemental and the fee, but I still have a red X next to the letters. Can anyone help me out here?
Dont sweat dude...

ur letters will get received if u assigned them on AMCAS..it just takes a couple of days for the letters to update..

on another note im quite surprised on how quickly davis send out their secondaries this year...i guess its good for us tho..ends up making us go neurotic in july vs august LOL

Hey everyone!

I am starting at UCD in a couple weeks (so I'm not that familiar with the school yet) but just wanted to give you guys a little info from last year's app process.

Here are some numbers from the 2008-2009 app season:
- about 4700 applications
- 2600 secondary applications
- interview 400 - 500 people
- 200 - 250 offers of admission to fill a total class of around 105.

They actually cut that number down to 93 or something close to that and it seemed that the wait list didn't move as much as in the past. 12 of the spots are for the RURAL Prime students.

As for the prereqs, I would go by completing one year of chem, ochem, etc. btw, quarter units = semester units x 1.5 (15 quarter units are 10 semester units)

A few applicants did not complete their English requirement and were out of luck. Make sure you have a year of English (or classics/comparative lit) and make sure to complete the upper division biology semester. You do have to have these done by Jan. 1st. Since most semesters haven't started yet, you can probably still sign up to take any missed classes.

If you have any questions about your particular situation, I would call or send Ed Dagang an email.

Good luck to everyone and hang in there... it's a tortuous waiting game :)

do you know if they count intensive writing philosophy classes for their english requirement? most of the other schools have been counting it...

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont sweat dude...

ur letters will get received if u assigned them on AMCAS..it just takes a couple of days for the letters to update..

on another note im quite surprised on how quickly davis send out their secondaries this year...i guess its good for us tho..ends up making us go neurotic in july vs august LOL

Not to mention it means you might end up spending less money on this process.

do you know if they count intensive writing philosophy classes for their english requirement? most of the other schools have been counting it...

I don't know. I would call and ask. I had tons of Spanish literature classes and Graduate level critical theory. Send them the course number and description and get a definitive answer so you can figure out if you need it.

You guys are lucky they started early this year. Last year was TOUGH!

so we have a maximum of 3 experiences? are you guys basically just saying what you said in your AMCAS for these?

This sounds ridiculous even as I type it, but where do we go to pay the secondary fee? I submitted it, but I can't find any link where I can pay the fee. On the home page is shows that my supplemental fee has not been paid, but I can't find anything else. :confused:

Edit: nevermind, I found it on the home page. :)

Last edited:
Sorry, but just need a bit of clarification. For the question about "how would you contribute or enhance the UC Davis school of medicine community?". I was wondering if u guys interpreted this as a "how do you add diversity question" or "what ways will you improve the community here". I initially thought it was the latter, but the part that says contribute to UC Davis school of medicine makes me think its the former?

Sorry, but just need a bit of clarification. For the question about "how would you contribute or enhance the UC Davis school of medicine community?". I was wondering if u guys interpreted this as a "how do you add diversity question" or "what ways will you improve the community here". I initially thought it was the latter, but the part that says contribute to UC Davis school of medicine makes me think its the former?
standard diversity question/ what makes you special

This sounds ridiculous even as I type it, but where do we go to pay the secondary fee? I submitted it, but I can't find any link where I can pay the fee. On the home page is shows that my supplemental fee has not been paid, but I can't find anything else. :confused:

Edit: nevermind, I found it on the home page. :)

So where on the home page did you see that you can pay the fee? I'm having the same problem. I've already submitted my application. I have a little "X" mark next to "Supplemental Fees", I also have an "X" next to my letters of Reccs, but they are up on AMCAS as of today so I'm guessing it takes time for UCD to upload those. Do my letters need to be up before I can pay the fee?

So where on the home page did you see that you can pay the fee? I'm having the same problem. I've already submitted my application. I have a little "X" mark next to "Supplemental Fees", I also have an "X" next to my letters of Reccs, but they are up on AMCAS as of today so I'm guessing it takes time for UCD to upload those. Do my letters need to be up before I can pay the fee?
Its on the instructions(!) page...there is a link for you to pay your fee.

Members don't see this ad :)
So question about fulfilling the Math requirement: I go to a UC, and I skipped Math 2A (first quarter of calc) because of AP tests. I then took Math 2B, and Math 2D (multivariable calc)...so I have 8 quarter units of math. I know UCD and UCLA don't accept AP credit, and since I need stats for some schools, I thought I'd just take stats to fulfil my year of math. Problem is UCD wants you to complete the prereqs by Jan 1st, and my school isn't offering stats fall quarter....so will they be ok with it?

Nevermind, seems I answered my own question. I noticed one of the previous posters wrote the prerequisites needed to be completed by January 1st (and I thought I read that online too) but it's actually June 1st, so as long as I take it winter quarter and complete stats by March, I should be fine.

Also, I know most of you submitted, but for those of you still having a question about the units, they are quarter units, and this is what is says about prerequisites in the FAQ section:
Besides the course names, numbers and grades you will need to know whether the course was offered during a quarter vs. semester term. If a course is pending then provide the month and year that you will complete that course. Remember that 1 year is equivalent to 2 semesters or 3 quarters; ½ year is equivalent to 1 semester or 2 quarters. All prerequisite coursework must be completed no later than June 1 prior to matriculation. In addition, no applicant will be offered admission unless ALL of the premedical course requirements are completed. As a result, it is strongly suggested that ALL premedical course requirements be completed no later than January 1 of the application cycle.
NOTE: The number of units posted are equivalent to "quarter" units. These values should be used as a GUIDE only not as the required number of units as it is recognized that each university grants varying credit for each course.

Also one more quick question: My parents have been business owners for all my life, and that has been a very big part of my life. I listed helping them out as one of my AMCAS activities since I still do it. I think it taught me really important skills that apply to medical careers too, so I wanted to list it as one of the 3 activities for the secondary, but is it really weird to list my own dad as the contact?

Well, it is a bit unusual to list a relative as the contact. You should probably check with the admin committee. Also, the instructions for the experiences ask for "activities or experiences that have been most influential in leading you to a career in medicine." Although helping your dad could have given you transferable skills, did it inspire you to become a doc?

I have a Q about what to include in the extracurricular experiences section. A Senior Thesis was required for my undergraduate school and it showed up in the transcript as a graded class. Could I still talk about the research that I did for the Thesis if I spent more than the required # of hrs on it? It was kinda impt. for me...:confused:

Well, it is a bit unusual to list a relative as the contact. You should probably check with the admin committee. Also, the instructions for the experiences ask for "activities or experiences that have been most influential in leading you to a career in medicine." Although helping your dad could have given you transferable skills, did it inspire you to become a doc?

I have a Q about what to include in the extracurricular experiences section. A Senior Thesis was required for my undergraduate school and it showed up in the transcript as a graded class. Could I still talk about the research that I did for the Thesis if I spent more than the required # of hrs on it? It was kinda impt. for me...:confused:
Yeah, that's why I was confused about it putting that for one of the activities, so I just change it to something else.

Now...I'm confused about prerequisites again. I just read in the FAQ that all prereqs must be completed by "June 1st prior to matriculation" and I guess I was so out of it that I didn't read the rest of the paragraph correctly because I missed the part where it says that applicants won't be offered admission unless all prereqs are completed, which is why they suggest you complete it by Jan 1st (which is where the Jan 1st deadline the other posters were mentioning comes in). Problem is I have to take stats to make up for the class I skipped with AP credit, and stats isn't being offered at my school fall quarter, so I have to wait until winter quarter to take it and I will be done by March. So I'm once agian confused about that whole issue. I'm going to have to call them about it tomorrow. *sigh* :(

Yeah, that's why I was confused about it putting that for one of the activities, so I just change it to something else.

Now...I'm confused about prerequisites again. I just read in the FAQ that all prereqs must be completed by "June 1st prior to matriculation" and I guess I was so out of it that I didn't read the rest of the paragraph correctly because I missed the part where it says that applicants won't be offered admission unless all prereqs are completed, which is why they suggest you complete it by Jan 1st (which is where the Jan 1st deadline the other posters were mentioning comes in). Problem is I have to take stats to make up for the class I skipped with AP credit, and stats isn't being offered at my school fall quarter, so I have to wait until winter quarter to take it and I will be done by March. So I'm once agian confused about that whole issue. I'm going to have to call them about it tomorrow. *sigh* :(

just take it at a community college.

So I was sitting down to write essays and I discovered that not only does UC Davis not accept AP credit, but they need all requirements to be completed by January 1st.

Looks like I'm not going to UC Davis. My pre-medical advisory committee told me from the first day of school that I would not have to take statistics or calculus to enter medical school because every medical school accepted AP credit. Lo and behold, I find that Davis and UCLA actually DON'T take AP credits, but I think to myself, "That's cool. I'll retake the classes senior year and it'll be two easy As." But no, even that's not good enough.

I sent an e-mail asking if they were deadly serious about AP credit being completely unacceptable and completing a course spring semester of senior year also being worthless. I'm pretty sure they are though, though I can't understand why a school would consider an AP test to be nothing of important. The idea that a school might prevent someone from attending despite having solid grades, a nice MCAT, and every other requirement except for one semester of college calculus that's a guaranteed A for someone that TOOK AN ENTIRE YEAR OF IT IN HIGH SCHOOL is absolutely preposterous.

Sigh.

Hmm... I have also only taken one math class in my entire college career, but that seems to be alright because they state that they will accept continuing courses at the college to be sufficient. (i.e. if I only took the last of the series, it would be as if I took the entire series).

Did you take anything like that, possibly?? Or stats? That seems like it would do too. Maybe you should just email the admission and tell them you'd be happy to take a course at a community college if that's what it will take...

I already resolved the issue (sort of). I'm taking calculus in the spring, and the person that e-mailed me said that although they want all the requirements completed by January, it should be acceptable given that I'm taking statistics in the fall and I've taken a course that required statistics, Epidemiology. I'll just have to explain that at an interview, if I get one.

Has anyone entered an "experience" rather than an "EC"....because I wanted to talk about my time abroad, but apparently you have to input the reference, email, and paid/volunteer field. Which seems stupid to me, b/c it said EC/and or experience.....

Has anyone entered an "experience" rather than an "EC"....because I wanted to talk about my time abroad, but apparently you have to input the reference, email, and paid/volunteer field. Which seems stupid to me, b/c it said EC/and or experience.....
I put experience and then put N/a for contact and stuff. I called the admission office they said that some adcoms like to have contact info but wouldnt say if it was ok or not ok to put it. It should be obvious its an experience and i think its fine. Its up to you though, i doubt they will reject/think u are lieing just because theres no contact info when you are talking about something like that. I talked about the 2 years i spent living in a rural area and such.

I put experience and then put N/a for contact and stuff. I called the admission office they said that some adcoms like to have contact info but wouldnt say if it was ok or not ok to put it. It should be obvious its an experience and i think its fine. Its up to you though, i doubt they will reject/think u are lieing just because theres no contact info when you are talking about something like that. I talked about the 2 years i spent living in a rural area and such.

Thanks I'll try doing the same. But what about the volunteer/paid button? That's the tricky part....Yea it makes no sense to me b/c they said EC or experience, and to me it would make way more sense to put something that isn't already on my AMCAS.

Ok so elijah I took you advice, but then a message pops up saying there is an error in the email box/reference b/c it is not "formatted" the right way....man this is a pain

Prompts

4. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know? (E.g. ties to UC Davis, the local communities, or the State of California) (500 character limit)

Does this mean we cannot state other stuff we want to say such as to explain hardship or another accomplishment? this is just to state ties to UC Davis?

Does anyone else have a problem with the LOR status? I submitted my secondary awhile ago, but my LOR status still says "incomplete" even though I've already submitted my letters to AMCAS and other med schools have already received my letters.....just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me!!!!

Does anyone else have a problem with the LOR status? I submitted my secondary awhile ago, but my LOR status still says "incomplete" even though I've already submitted my letters to AMCAS and other med schools have already received my letters.....just wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me!!!!

Yeah, I have the same problem. I am going to call/e-mail the admin office at the end of the week if they still haven't received my letters by then.

Sometimes the school is behind on downloading the LORs into their systems. Did you check on AMCAS that you've sent the right LORs to UCD?

Yeah, I have the same problem. I am going to call/e-mail the admin office at the end of the week if they still haven't received my letters by then.

Sometimes the school is behind on downloading the LORs into their systems. Did you check on AMCAS that you've sent the right LORs to UCD?

THey should get downloaded soon. It took them a while to get my letters. I submitted 7/18, was complete 7/23

So apparently upper-division bio has to be genetics, biochem, cell bio or molecular bio, none of which I have taken. I may be in trouble...

Time to write an email...

Yep, I sent it to UCD. Hmm, I hope they get it ASAP :scared:

Hmmm... So I'm wondering about the "How do you envision your life as a physician" question. What are they going for? Specifics? Lifestyle expectations? More discussion of your personal attributes?

What did you guys do?

Has anyone paid the 70 dollar fee but still has the red cross showing under "fee payment". Does it take a few days for this to go through?

Has anyone paid the 70 dollar fee but still has the red cross showing under "fee payment". Does it take a few days for this to go through?

Yes, the red X doesn't disappear right away. I think the office has to go in to change it, so it may take a few days.

So on average how long has it taken UCD to upload LORs from AMCAS? I submitted my application 2 weeks ago and it still shows an X next to the LORs but my LORs have been up on AMCAS for a while now. Has it taken anyone here >2 weeks to have UCD download their LORs? Just wondering when to shoot them another email regarding this...

So on average how long has it taken UCD to upload LORs from AMCAS? I submitted my application 2 weeks ago and it still shows an X next to the LORs but my LORs have been up on AMCAS for a while now. Has it taken anyone here >2 weeks to have UCD download their LORs? Just wondering when to shoot them another email regarding this...

It only took a couple of days for me.

I'll save you the trouble. I'm same as you 2-3 weeks after submitting 2ndary and no LOR upload. So I emailed them. They said "Yo. We've got mad applications here. Chill it down premed." Or something to that effect.

I'll save you the trouble. I'm same as you 2-3 weeks after submitting 2ndary and no LOR upload. So I emailed them. They said "Yo. We've got mad applications here. Chill it down premed." Or something to that effect.

LOL. You capture the essence of the response I received when I emailed this question a week ago. I didn't want to receive a similarly worded response again...

do they send a complete email? i just checked my status page and it looks like they have everything but i haven't gotten an email.

well i submitted my app like 2 weeks ago, but LOR were holding up my status...finally got completed yesterday, received invite this morning. a bit quick for my understanding, but oh well!

and my stats are rather average, so i think everyone else in the top tier should be hearing from them soon...especially if you submitted it awhile ago and are only held up by the lor...

well i submitted my app like 2 weeks ago, but LOR were holding up my status...finally got completed yesterday, received invite this morning. a bit quick for my understanding, but oh well!

and my stats are rather average, so i think everyone else in the top tier should be hearing from them soon...especially if you submitted it awhile ago and are only held up by the lor...

That is blazing fast. I was complete on 7/15, and no word.
Did it come through email?

on my status page it says "Application status: complete" and they got my last LOR yesterday, but i never received an email... think i should call them? wait another day?

Hi Everyone,

I'd just like to let you know that I called the Admissions Office today regarding all the questions we have about the "X's" next to the LOR, fee, and prerequisites. Here's what they told me:

1. The LOR's status will take a while to be updated, approximately up to 3 weeks. There's only 2 workers at the office and they're uploading LOR's manually.

2. Fees status should take a few days.

3. Pre-requisites status will take even longer, they need to verify the courses. She said that it might even be verified after interviews. :confused:

Soo this leads me to my next question:
Woozypoozy, BlueElmo.. you guys said your application is completed. But do you guys still have an "X" next to your prerequisite status?

Status
Not open for further replies.