2010-2011 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scheduled for 9/27! Anyone else going that day?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been complete since July 21st and still haven't heard. I had my essays pre-written and I was probably one of the first to submit, haha. It's probably somewhat random who reads your essays and who gets done faster.

Note though, as soon as I posted in U-Chicago's thread about being complete for a long time and not hearing back, I received a rejection literally 5 minutes after I posted. Maybe I'm jinxing myself here. I'd rather have no news than bad news again!

Good luck for those with interviews!

Duke is crazy. I submitted my secondary on the 11th at 5am east coast time and got the invite email 12 hours later.

Other than interview dates filling up, is there any reason not to take my sweet time selcting a date? Does the committee frown upon you if you take a few weeks to decide? I need to fly from CA and would like to coordinate with other interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been complete since July 21st and still haven't heard. I had my essays pre-written and I was probably one of the first to submit, haha. It's probably somewhat random who reads your essays and who gets done faster.

Note though, as soon as I posted in U-Chicago's thread about being complete for a long time and not hearing back, I received a rejection literally 5 minutes after I posted. Maybe I'm jinxing myself here. I'd rather have no news than bad news again!

Good luck for those with interviews!

yeah that is crazy, wonder why its sporadic like that.

Have any MSTP applicants received interview invites? (I apologize if someone on this thread already mentioned this). I submitted an MSTP application 8/7 and haven't heard anything.

Just got an email for an interview last night! So excited since my MCAT makes this kind of a reach school for me. Now also trying to weigh the virtual vs on campus option since I did spend 6 weeks this summer at Duke SOM, stayed on campus, got plenty of experience with the feel of the school and met a lot of the admissions committee, but it might be fun to go back and see them again. I have a feeling I might portray myself better in person through my personality and show my enthusiasm more in person, but I'm not sure as I haven't had this option at any other schools. Any suggestions?

Have you guys actually received a complete email? mine was "moved to committee screening" 20 days ago but I never actually received a complete message.

Wow fast turnaround! Submitted yesterday at 12:15 EST and just received an interview invite 20 min ago. Didn't receive any complete email.

Wow fast turnaround! Submitted yesterday at 12:15 EST and just received an interview invite 20 min ago. Didn't receive any complete email.

i donttt get it why havent i heard a yes, no or hold? haha this is crazy.

Hey everyone,

I submitted my application to Duke on 7/26, but I still haven't heard anything. I know Duke isn't rolling, but is this a good sign or a bad sign? I have heard several different stories on how the non-rolling schools process things, but not from any 100% trusted sources.

Anyone know anything about this, or any places to look for more information?

Thanks.

Holy crap! I just got invited to interview here! Super excited, this is my first interview invite! Good luck to everyone waiting!

Marked complete on August 9th - gotta love that fast turnaround.

how are the interviews being offered? email or phone? thanks and congrats to all who have one scheduled!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have any MSTP applicants received interview invites? (I apologize if someone on this thread already mentioned this). I submitted an MSTP application 8/7 and haven't heard anything.

Don't worry, I submitted 7/28 and haven't heard either. In fact, I haven't heard from any of the MSTPs yet, which is quickly becoming frustrating while everyone else gets interview invites! :mad:

Interview invite!!

Last edited:
Just checked my status. REJECTED.
Ah well... I really liked this school... but I guess it was never meant to be!!!

:cool:

.Does it hurt your chance if you chose interview through web cam?.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I submitted my application to Duke on 7/26, but I still haven't heard anything. I know Duke isn't rolling, but is this a good sign or a bad sign? I have heard several different stories on how the non-rolling schools process things, but not from any 100% trusted sources.

Anyone know anything about this, or any places to look for more information?

Thanks.

Last year's thread is usually a great place for info about the process at each school - I checked it for Duke, and it seems that your application is sent to three different faculty members. Depending on the faculty members, it could take 3 days to 6 weeks before they have time to read and consider your application. Remember that Duke is non-rolling, so a delay in being selected to interview will not put you at a disadvantage. Good luck and hopefully you hear back soon!

Do any of you have recommendations for hotels close to the medical school?

Do any of you have recommendations for hotels close to the medical school?

If you call the MedStay number they list on the PAS page, you can ask the person about hotels in the area. I think I'll be booking at the Quality Inn- the guy said it's $54 a night and there's a free shuttle in the morning to campus. Plus the hotel is only like a mile away anyway.

For those of you who have selected interview dates do they offer dates throughout their season or just for the upcoming weeks?

Interview invite this morning. Submitted maybe a week ago. I have an MDApps thing with stats for the sake of comparison, if anyone cares.

Congrats to everyone who has gotten an interview and tons of luck for those still submitting.

I received an invite from Duke yesterday--submitted last Friday. I'm pretty sure my letters aren't in yet, so it looks like they review before reading the letters? In signing up for virtual vs. in-person interview, a pop-up I won't be able to change it after I selected, so I was wondering if anyone else on the forum could tell me what days of the week they interview, and how open are they in sep/oct?

I'm coming from the west coast, so I'm trying to coordinate several east coast interviews together--Could someone tell me if Sep 20 is open? That would mean 5 straight weekdays of interviewing :)scared:), but I'm looking to save time and money.

I know they say virtual interviews don't put you to a disadvantage, but I'm guessing it's still better to actually do it if I've never been to Duke before and it's one of my top choices, but any thoughts?

Thanks!

I received an invite from Duke yesterday--submitted last Friday. I'm pretty sure my letters aren't in yet, so it looks like they review before reading the letters? In signing up for virtual vs. in-person interview, a pop-up I won't be able to change it after I selected, so I was wondering if anyone else on the forum could tell me what days of the week they interview, and how open are they in sep/oct?

I'm coming from the west coast, so I'm trying to coordinate several east coast interviews together--Could someone tell me if Sep 20 is open? That would mean 5 straight weekdays of interviewing :)scared:), but I'm looking to save time and money.

I know they say virtual interviews don't put you to a disadvantage, but I'm guessing it's still better to actually do it if I've never been to Duke before and it's one of my top choices, but any thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat with the coming from the west coast. The pop-up doesn't appear to mean anything (that website is terrible, at least on my browser/OS), because I've clicked "in-person interview" several times and just logged out without selecting a date.

Anyway, September 20th is not available :( They seem to interview every day of the week, though Mondays and Fridays are disappearing first I think.

I'm in the same boat with the coming from the west coast. The pop-up doesn't appear to mean anything (that website is terrible, at least on my browser/OS), because I've clicked "in-person interview" several times and just logged out without selecting a date.

Anyway, September 20th is not available :( They seem to interview every day of the week, though Mondays and Fridays are disappearing first I think.

Thanks so much for the info! Just what I wanted to know. :)

Oops--actually, do not click on request a virtual interview unless you actually want to! I was hoping to see a similar calendar to the one in-person interview, but it told me that the virtual interview has been requested.

Guess I'll have to talk to the admissions office to undo it, though at this point I have no idea what kind of interview I'll end up taking.

Did anyone else notice the requirements changed (quite recently?) from one year of orgo to minimum 1 semester of orgo + 1 semester of biochem? Anyone know how strict they are going to be about this especially since it just got changed?

Oops--actually, do not click on request a virtual interview unless you actually want to! I was hoping to see a similar calendar to the one in-person interview, but it told me that the virtual interview has been requested.

Guess I'll have to talk to the admissions office to undo it, though at this point I have no idea what kind of interview I'll end up taking.

Oh no! I'm sorry I led you astray :( I hadn't tried clicking on "virtual interview." D'oh. So you don't get a choice of dates if you do the virtual interview? Hmm.

Did anyone else notice the requirements changed (quite recently?) from one year of orgo to minimum 1 semester of orgo + 1 semester of biochem? Anyone know how strict they are going to be about this especially since it just got changed?

I haven't noticed that change. Will you please be so kind and provide a link? I went to their admissions site after I saw you posting, but I'm just not finding anything about any pre-reqs., so clearly, I'm missing a link.
Hey:laugh: I'm the "Missing Link" :laugh:

Related to the pre-reqs, I just noticed it said that Duke wants you to complete all pre-reqs within seven years of going to medical school? Some of mine are slightly older than that and they still gave me an interview. Does anyone know how strict they are on this??

Same here! I took general chemistry 1 during the fall of 2003 and general chemistry 2 during the fall of 2004. I got an interview, too, but I'm kind of freaking out after reading that.

Is it just me, or is the second part of the Duke "giving back to your community" question a little bit confusing?

Do we interpret the question as,

"Do physicians have a greater responsibility to give back to the community than others?"

or

"Is the willingness to contribute to the community of greater value/asset to physicians than to others?"

I'm kind of unsure of how to approach the second part of this question because I don't really know what exactly it is asking.....

Last edited:
Oh no! I'm sorry I led you astray :( I hadn't tried clicking on "virtual interview." D'oh. So you don't get a choice of dates if you do the virtual interview? Hmm.

No worries! I got it reset without a problem. For the virtual interviews, they put you in a queue for an interviewer to contact you, and you schedule it individually with the interviewer.

On another note, I was reading last year's thread and found it really depressing! Something like 200/1200 get accepted from the interview, so some were saying it wasn't worth it to spend the money on attending an in person one when the chances were so low to begin with. :(

hm i thought that the last couple of years it was something like

180 out of 750 and last year, 220 out of a 1000

anyways, i read the 180 out of 750 from this DukeMed magazine from 2009 where the Dean of Admissions basically laid out the format. 5000 apply, 2500 submit the secondary, 750 get an interview, 450 of those get an average of a 4/5 from their interviewers and then go to the committee, where each student is reviewed by the committee and a vote is taken to score the candidate on some kinda point system. The applicants with the highest number of points out of those 450 are accepted, and the next are waitlisted in a specific order based on how many points u have (some of the lower scores out of the 450 may even get rejected, not sure).

Anyways, looks like the interview is crucial to get to the next step, but the interviewers seem to be lenient considering that 450 out of 750 get an 80% interview rating...maybe if you really knock their socks off though it'll get u some kudos in the final total score...who knows?

also, going up to Durham on 10/14

Last edited:
I was starting to worry that Duke looked me over, but interview invite this morning! :love: I was complete ~8/9.

No worries! I got it reset without a problem. For the virtual interviews, they put you in a queue for an interviewer to contact you, and you schedule it individually with the interviewer.

On another note, I was reading last year's thread and found it really depressing! Something like 200/1200 get accepted from the interview, so some were saying it wasn't worth it to spend the money on attending an in person one when the chances were so low to begin with. :(

The 2010-2011 MSAR says 5201 applications (I assume that's only primaries taken into consideration), 770 interviewed, and 100 matriculants. If the actual accepted numbers are close to 200 then 1/4 of the interviewees get accepted, which seems excellent to me! :thumbup:

hm i thought that the last couple of years it was something like

180 out of 750 and last year, 220 out of a 1000

anyways, i read the 180 out of 750 from this DukeMed magazine from 2009 where the Dean of Admissions basically laid out the format. 5000 apply, 2500 submit the secondary, 750 get an interview, 450 of those get an average of a 4/5 from their interviewers and then go to the committee, where each student is reviewed by the committee and a vote is taken to score the candidate on some kinda point system. The applicants with the highest number of points out of those 450 are accepted, and the next are waitlisted in a specific order based on how many points u have (some of the lower scores out of the 450 may even get rejected, not sure).

Anyways, looks like the interview is crucial to get to the next step, but the interviewers seem to be lenient considering that 450 out of 750 get an 80% interview rating...maybe if you really knock their socks off though it'll get u some kudos in the final total score...who knows?

also, going up to Durham on 10/14

Just curious, do you have a link for these stats? Not saying I don't believe you, but I've also heard a lot of different things about how "exclusive" an interview here is.

Either way, those are some really low numbers. That might be the lowest acceptance/interview ratio in the country.

i submitted my secondary on sat, and got an interview invite today!!
do they actually read our application? oh well yay!!

i submitted my secondary on sat, and got an interview invite today!!
do they actually read our application? oh well yay!!

I wondered the same thing...I got an invite 12 hours after submitting my application.

I wondered the same thing...I got an invite 12 hours after submitting my application.

They must be re-reading mine a few times, i was complete 8/2 and have heard absolutely nothing. maybe one of my reviewers is on sabbatical? a few more days without a rejection or an invite and I might have to assume they forgot about me.

I'm the same way, submitted my application on Sat, got invite this morning... I'm 3.8/35 so nothing special for duke...lucky I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.