2010-2011 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is everyone answering number 3? What if I don't have anything in my application that is "concerning?" Yeah, I have a few Bs here and there, but I don't feel like that is something I need to talk about...

I think the trick to this essay is twisting it to make a negative sound like a positive. For me specifically I mentioned my prior lack of clinical hours, but that I now was addressing this by making up for it this summer (I have a job in an ER now). Not many applicants can genuinely say they have extensive experience/hours researching, volunteering, and working. Address which one you have the least of and either explain how you're working to change that, or explain what you were doing instead. This is of course if you don't have any low MCAT scores or academic issues to explain.

Members don't see this ad.

To those screened in, congrats!

Quick question: were your primaries verified already? Or did some people get screened in without verification?

I was verified but since they screen (at least partly) based on gpa/mcat you would need to be verified so they know your AMCAS GPA

EDIT: Just wanted to let you know that Im assuming this and could be wrong

Last edited:
I really dont want to answer question 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was verified but since they screen (at least partly) based on gpa/mcat you would need to be verified so they know your AMCAS GPA

EDIT: Just wanted to let you know that Im assuming this and could be wrong

good point. haha

The competition scares me:scared:.

This is exactly why I was freaking out... everyone who was posting had amazing stats, especially great MCAT scores.

But thanks everybody for the encouragement, I feel a little better. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best :).

I'm in love with all of the CA med schools (they're all amazing!), so I'm really hoping I get to stay in-state, but I know the competition is tough!

AAAAA still waiting for verification, but did anyone OOS get screened in yet? Also, how's the Sacramento area!??!

How detrimental will it look to signify "No" on the "May we contact?" portion of one Experience? It was definitely a significant event in my life, but for personal reasons the lead contact might be less than favorable in his opinion of me. I don't want to risk it.

This is exactly why I was freaking out... everyone who was posting had amazing stats, especially great MCAT scores.

But thanks everybody for the encouragement, I feel a little better. I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best :).

I'm in love with all of the CA med schools (they're all amazing!), so I'm really hoping I get to stay in-state, but I know the competition is tough!

I got the secondary and I do not have a great MCAT. Actually, it's the component of my application I'm concerned about. Just hang in there. You applied, that's saying a lot.

Do you think that they will actually contact the person we list for that essay question?

I mean I've been doing volunteering, but the work I do is at a big organization, so although people do know me there, I don't know if they can actually vouch that I was there in July after I submitted my AMCAS.

What are the chances of them contacting thousands of people?

What is the Waiver of Access to Confidential Letters of Evaluation Form? Do we have to fill it out?

I have my letters of rec. already submitted to AMCAS. I just assigned my letters to UC Davis from AMCAS. Do we have to contact each author and have them fill out this form?

How detrimental will it look to signify "No" on the "May we contact?" portion of one Experience? It was definitely a significant event in my life, but for personal reasons the lead contact might be less than favorable in his opinion of me. I don't want to risk it.

I am wondering this too.

Can someone who goes to Davis med or interviewed there last year comment on this? Do they actually contact your reference?

Members don't see this ad :)
AAAAA still waiting for verification, but did anyone OOS get screened in yet? Also, how's the Sacramento area!??!

Can't comment too much on Sacramento itself .. I mean, its the state capital and has an urban feel to it, though the surrounding area, esp. UC Davis' undergrad campus, is much more suburban/rural. It's about ~2 hrs or so away from SF/Bay Area.

I was recently at the SoM for an interview at the UCD Med Center. The Medical Education building is sweeeet ... it's situated next to the Med Center, Shriner's Hospital .. very modern look to the whole complex

Can someone who goes to Davis med or interviewed there last year comment on this? Do they actually contact your reference?

yeah I wanna know too-- theres one experience in particular that was a while back and it was a pretty huge group of undergrads-- it was a research position where we kinda worked independently of the PI.. so I dont think she would remember me at this point

Anyone else having trouble with submitting payment? It's taking forever to load...

did you guys put a phone number or anything for #5? or did you just list a name

did you guys put a phone number or anything for #5? or did you just list a name

For certain people, I put either both or only one of them...depending on the best way to contact hte person. I didn't have a current phone number for one person (she changed her number and never gave it to me) and didn't have an email for the other person...I doubt they'll actually call each applicant's references, but probably there if they so choose.

Screened in, re-applicant, 3.2 GPA, 32 MCAT (11/11/10).

do we have to list all the math/science/english classes we took? or can we just list what we want to include for their requirements?

Secondary received: re-applicant, in-state, 3.71 GPA, 32L MCAT. UC Davis is an amazing school-- my number one choice. Crossing my fingers for a more successful application this time around!

wow Im pretty stupid. The experiences section is for your 3 MOST formative experiences, so I will have 0 trouble with contact people remembering who I am haha

I've apparently been screened out. OOS, 3.4 32R.

dont feel bad-- davis and irvine HEAVILY prefer in state applicants.. you would honestly have a better shot at UCLA and UCSF I think (dont quote me on that)

hrmm.. their payment website is useless... its dead.

if you are interested in the PRIME program, will it affect your chances at the regular MD program?

I actually live in a town that is about 15 minutes away from the UC Davis med school. It is a nice area and is about a 1:30-2 hour drive to San Francisco depending on how fast you drive. The weather is cold during the winter, 40-60, and hot during the summer, usually peaks around 100ish. But during the fall and spring it is about 80ish. At the time that I am posting this it is 90 which is about average during the summer. I believe the UCD med school is close to Arden mall, like a 10-20 minute drive. I hope that helps I will try to add more as I remember stuff.

When filling out the courses, do you need to list all courses in that category, or just enough to reach the minimum units?

I'm actually confused -- is it okay if our answer to question 5 includes an activity that we list in the "3 most formative experiences" section?

What I've been doing since my amcas is an activity I've been doing for the past year, and it has been very formative.

I'm actually confused -- is it okay if our answer to question 5 includes an activity that we list in the "3 most formative experiences" section?

What I've been doing since my amcas is an activity I've been doing for the past year, and it has been very formative.

Why would it matter if one of your activities from the point of submission til now is also one of your most formative? I don't think it would, and taht never even crossed my mind..so I definitely put things in number 5 that were also most formative. In fact, two of my #5s were most formative.

if you are interested in the PRIME program, will it affect your chances at the regular MD program?

I know one student that applied PRIME, was rejected from PRIME, and was still accepted to regular M.D. It's likely that by applying to PRIME you are a default candidate for the regular M.D. pathway in other words.

I wonder how much they screen for secondaries. I was pleasantly surprised and fortunate to have received it, but now I'm wondering if they're just giving me false hope.

29Q, 3.5sGPA (IS)

Also, on the "experiences" section, I know this seems like a dumb question, what exactly do they mean by "Total Hours"? Do they really want you to list the cumulative hours you've worked on the activity you're listing?

For instance, I've worked at one job for 25 hours/week for the past 9 months, which adds up to a total of 900 hours. Should I really put 900?

To me, 900 hours just sounds like I'm exaggerating, even though that's the truth.

Also, on the "experiences" section, I know this seems like a dumb question, what exactly do they mean by "Total Hours"? Do they really want you to list the cumulative hours you've worked on the activity you're listing?

For instance, I've worked at one job for 25 hours/week for the past 9 months, which adds up to a total of 900 hours. Should I really put 900?

To me, 900 hours just sounds like I'm exaggerating, even though that's the truth.

I had the same response to taht question...like " REALLY!?! 600 hours of ____" come on.....

but I guess they do...*sigh*

I had the same response to taht question...like " REALLY!?! 600 hours of ____" come on.....

but I guess they do...*sigh*

yep, I did that too.

Also, I can't believe they want the EXACT start/end date for activities. Really, does it matter if I started something March 1st or March 18th...?

it doesnt just give an approximate. I had no idea when i started activities. I knew i started my research in april for example, but no idea the day. Its not a huge deal no worries

How did you give an approximate date? Because I already tried to do that (just entering month and year), and it wouldn't let me save it without entering in the dd/mm/yyyy format.

yep, I did that too.

Also, I can't believe they want the EXACT start/end date for activities. Really, does it matter if I started something March 1st or March 18th...?

And how do you indicate if an activity is still ongoing? I tried putting in "Present" or "To Present" for the end date, but it won't let me.

Anyone else having this problem for activities they are still doing?

And how do you indicate if an activity is still ongoing? I tried putting in "Present" or "To Present" for the end date, but it won't let me.

Anyone else having this problem for activities they are still doing?

I put tthe date of submission. For me, that was 14 Jul 2010.

Secondary submitted, Prereqs completed, Fee paid, LORs received. UC Davis please offer me an interview...

Thanks Elijah05, that's what I ended up doing!

anyone else pay and have their app status page say its incomplete bc the payment wasn't received?

Hi all-- just talked to a lady at admission office.
Here's the GIST:
She didn't know if we will be getting emails notifying that we were completed. But did say that the website reflects the most current information on our file.

She has no idea when we should anticipate hearing from the admissions committee--weeks or months (which i expected that response), but did say that they have not started reviewing apps yet.

I had a typo on one of the contact info for one of my experiences and asked if I should send an note/email just clarifying that. And she said that they are not currently receiving any updates, but she doesn't think that it will be a big deal. She said that IF the admissions committee asks, then just clarify.

Anyways-- just wanted to inform y'all of my findings...
Take care everyone!

I was wondering if there was a need to explain stuff like.. well i had like 1-1.5 months where i didnt do much of my ECs cause i was studyin for my MCAT.. or i was on winter break and out of town.. etc? i mean its not like you quit but you just dont have any hours during those months.. i guess most of my activities are kind of not so regular due to the fact of a busy senior schedule?

ummm scratch that. im a ******

Last edited:
If anyone else from Cal is wondering what to put for the Chemistry, I contacted admissions and they said to list 3A/3B as organic and Chem 1A/MCB 100 or 102 as General Chemistry. If you're not from Cal...disregard this message I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.