2010-2011 University of California - Davis Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone else from Cal is wondering what to put for the Chemistry, I contacted admissions and they said to list 3A/3B as organic and Chem 1A/MCB 100 or 102 as General Chemistry. If you're not from Cal...disregard this message I guess.

does anyone know if this is the case for all the other schools?

Members don't see this ad.

^^^I think some want 102 considered OChem, but some want it tagged as Gchem. When you call the school and say, "I'm from Cal..." they immediately know why you're calling. I think Dartmouth wants it as Gchem as well, but I can't remember what I put for other schools.

So uh how detrimental is it if I put the future end date instead of the date of submission for my 3 formative experiences, but kept the total hours at today's date? I just did what the lady at admissions told me yesterday, but now it seems like she might have been wrong...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys. Is it 500 characters with or without spaces. Thanks

So uh how detrimental is it if I put the future end date instead of the date of submission for my 3 formative experiences, but kept the total hours at today's date? I just did what the lady at admissions told me yesterday, but now it seems like she might have been wrong...

I did this too...I think it's okay and it makes sense as it's ongoing. :) Who knows, the adcom people will let us know if it's wrong (hopefully).

To those of you who are like me, and haven't receive a secondary yet, let's all take a deep breath together. The admissions lady said they were still sending them out. COME ON DAVIS, COME ON!!!!! GIVE DADDY SOME SUGAR!!!!

To those of you who are like me, and haven't receive a secondary yet, let's all take a deep breath together. The admissions lady said they were still sending them out. COME ON DAVIS, COME ON!!!!! GIVE DADDY SOME SUGAR!!!!

Still patiently waiting..But there is a big chance that I am not going to get one from them..:(

I did this too...I think it's okay and it makes sense as it's ongoing. :) Who knows, the adcom people will let us know if it's wrong (hopefully).

Thanks, Kachan (Elijah too). I did call admissions and was told again that if the system lets you input a future date, then do it. The lady reassured me that ADCOM would NOT be confused :) Hope that helps anyone else who might have been worried

in regards to being from berkeley, i put 3A and 3AL as Gchem and mcb 100B, chem 113, and mcb110L as ochem

im pretty sure theyll know

does the question regarding anything "concerning" on our application ask for explanations of something like a grade drop during one semester or did you guys put something else for that question. Also could that question be used to explain why I took some classes at a CC over summer sessions, or do you think its not important? Thank you!

does the question regarding anything "concerning" on our application ask for explanations of something like a grade drop during one semester or did you guys put something else for that question. Also could that question be used to explain why I took some classes at a CC over summer sessions, or do you think its not important? Thank you!

when I called davis, they told me I should explain my 1 W from over 2 years ago.. basically she told me "anything that could be a red flag"

If you took pre req classes at a CC such as ochem, physics, etc...while still enrolled in a 4 year that is defiantly something i might want to explain, if you just took like history of the US or philosophy or some crap id say it doesnt warrant that. I think what the poster above said is perfect anything that may be a red flag, explain in the best light you can here. Whether that be a grade drop (were talking some Ds and Ws or something here...not like OMG I got 1 B in 4 years and my gpa is now 3.78 instead of 3.81). imo anything is likely fair game, the only things i might avoid is mcat if i were answering this question.

why avoid the mcat? if you did bad, retook it, did significantly better, why not explain the first low score?

why avoid the mcat? if you did bad, retook it, did significantly better, why not explain the first low score?

The prompt is pretty vague and you should be comfortable including whatever "you" believe to be a red flag. However, with the MCAT being offered numerous times throughout the year, I am guessing there will be a ton of applicants that have taken the test more than once. Maybe Elijah is just cautioning you against including something that may be perceived to be a bit generic... Really just go with your gut, the question sucks to be perfectly honest.

Members don't see this ad :)
But maybe the strategy should be to be as generic as possible with a prompt like this. I mean, who wants to be exceptionally bad? lol...

I didnt say avoid the mcat at all costs, i said "might" avoid. If you did bad retook and did good yes explain thats fine. I was just saying lets say you got a score that is just ok like say 29-30. Or you have a 12, 8, 12 for example with the 8 being a borderline low subset score. Im not sure if it was me that i would go into great detail about those situations. Like i said im not an adcom but thats just my opinion on what i would do.

Hi all,

Did anyone ever get clarification on whether or not they want us to list our units in "quarter form"? I realize they have a place to indicate Qtr. or Sem, but should we do all the conversions on the unit numbers to match the quarter system or just leave them as is? (if you're like me and have a mix of qtr and sem units)

Oh yeah and one more thing. For the upper-div bio reqt, is one semester course (3-units) in biochemistry enough to fill it? Thanks!

I love DAVIS! Please please please please.......

Hi all,

Did anyone ever get clarification on whether or not they want us to list our units in "quarter form"? I realize they have a place to indicate Qtr. or Sem, but should we do all the conversions on the unit numbers to match the quarter system or just leave them as is? (if you're like me and have a mix of qtr and sem units)

Oh yeah and one more thing. For the upper-div bio reqt, is one semester course (3-units) in biochemistry enough to fill it? Thanks!

I love DAVIS! Please please please please.......
yes it should. The requirements are below. One semester of a 3 unit class would seem to work.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Upper-Division Biology (lab not required):.

• [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Using the semester system - 3 to 5 units .
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Using the quarter system - 6 to 8 units.

how long has it taken your payment to be reflected on the home page? i paid and submitted but it still says payment not received. anyone else see this?

this happened to me too...a bit of a lagtime it seems to get to complete status after you submit/pay

dude.. I realized I made some errors in my activities section after I submitted. For 2 activities I put 2010 when I meant 2009 (reflex haha) and for some reason I messed up the total hours for those activities.. the lady in admissions told me its not gonna be detrimental if nothing seems to match up that they would ask me about it if I had an interview.. Think I should still panic? I dont want them to think im a liar

They charged my card and billed me already, but the payment is still not reflected on the application page.

Do they want us to pay again? lol

yes it should. The requirements are below. One semester of a 3 unit class would seem to work.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Upper-Division Biology (lab not required):.

• [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Using the semester system - 3 to 5 units .
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Using the quarter system - 6 to 8 units.

You don't need to convert them. I asked today. They said to put the units down as earned by the college you went to.

Recieved the interview invite today, but can't figure out how to schedule! :( Ahhh, I'm being dense. Help!

Recieved the interview invite today, but can't figure out how to schedule! :( Ahhh, I'm being dense. Help!

Congrats, but how long did it take your status to reflect that you are complete after you have paid?

Thanks,

Hmmm that's interesting. I just got off of the phone with the admissions office at Davis and they said that they were positive that interview invitations have not officially been handed out yet. Maybe yours got sent out early on accident? Also, they said the uc Davis does not receive update letters throughout the entire process at all.

Hmmm that's interesting. I just got off of the phone with the admissions office at Davis and they said that they were positive that interview invitations have not officially been handed out yet. Maybe yours got sent out early on accident? Also, they said the uc Davis does not receive update letters throughout the entire process at all.
yah it is a bit early to be getting these...but the timetables change each year so who knows. Also a note about updates. They do not accept or consider them but last year, and previous years they will accept updates something like 24-48 hours after you interview and that is all. So you have a very short window. they might have changed it this year but thats how it was last year. If you interview its something i would certainly ask about.

Ps my page was reflective of completion within one hour of payment on 7/14

Ps my page was reflective of completion within one hour of payment on 7/14

It took 3 days and a phone call to reflect my payment. If anyone's status is still incomplete, I would suggest you to call the admissions office. 2 minutes on the phone was all it took.

Screened in!! Woohoo!!! :p

That was fast... my AMCAS just got verified yesterday (7/21) at 1:39pm... UC Davis sent me the secondary invite at 2:09am this morning (7/22).

Stats: 3.99 cummGPA, 28 MCAT, CA resident... I wonder what their cutoffs are...

Now I get to work on this beast of a secondary, but I'm glad I got the invitation!!

eek! 500 characters is so short! This secondary is certainly testing my ability to be concise!

What 3 activities are u guys choosing? Should I just stick with 3 cookie cutter activities like community service/ research/ clinical(that I have many hours in)?
Or Should I choose one unique one that is related to rural medicine but I only did for a day?

hmm

What 3 activities are u guys choosing? Should I just stick with 3 cookie cutter activities like community service/ research/ clinical(that I have many hours in)?
Or Should I choose one unique one that is related to rural medicine but I only did for a day?

hmm

Choose whichever you felt were most "Formative"...it's a matter of convincing them with your extracurriculars via what you write, not "listing what you THINK" they want to read..

Choose whichever you felt were most "Formative"...it's a matter of convincing them with your extracurriculars via what you write, not "listing what you THINK" they want to read..

Do you guys think they will read all of the experiences listed in the Primary? or just the 3 we put in the secondary?

It's quite bizarre. I actually got my :second: e-mail interview invite from them today. (1st on 7/20 at 11pm, 2nd on 7/22 6am). I called yesterday and was told interview dates aren't posted yet, but will be sometime next week. So who knows what's going on :p Regardless, I feel highly sought after :laugh:

5. What have you been doing since submitting your AMCAS application? (Please give specific contact information for the most significant experience).
Limit your response to 500 characters.

Hasnt it only been like.... less than a month since we turned in our AMCAS? I havn't really been doing much.... wat can there possibly be thats really worth writing (~_~)

How is everyone coping with the VERY limited character space for the essays??

500 characters is nothing!! It's hardly a small paragraph!! Like the diversity question... It's tough to explain my background and how it would help me contribute to the UCD community in only 500 characters!! :confused:

It's strange because usually I have the opposite complaint that the character limit is too high. I usually write very concisely, but this is pretty difficult...

PS: Someone asked earlier whether the 500 characters includes spaces... it does!!

Last edited:
Sorry I have a few questions about the prereq page:

1. It asks for the date I completed each class... what if I took it back in 2006 and there's no way I'd know the EXACT end date of the class!! :confused: I even tried looking on my school's website, but they only post the academic calendar back til 2009. Is it okay if I just estimate??

2. I'm confused... are you supposed to enter in enough classes for each category to fulfill the requirements? For example, they require 6 quarter units of Upper division Biology... do you just list enough classes (like Biochem = 4, and Genetics = 4, for a total of 8 units), or should you list ALL of your Upper div bio?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry I have a few questions about the prereq page:

1. It asks for the date I completed each class... what if I took it back in 2006 and there's no way I'd know the EXACT end date of the class!! :confused: I even tried looking on my school's website, but they only post the academic calendar back til 2009. Is it okay if I just estimate??

2. I'm confused... are you supposed to enter in enough classes for each category to fulfill the requirements? For example, they require 6 quarter units of Upper division Biology... do you just list enough classes (like Biochem = 4, and Genetics = 4, for a total of 8 units), or should you list ALL of your Upper div bio?

Thanks!

Yeah I just estimated. I only know the month the classes ended, so I just used the same day each time (the 20th I think).

Seems like it went down this afternoon. Is anyone else having this problem?

Wow, congrats!! That is awesome!! When did you submit your secondary?

If we don't have anything concerning to discuss for #3, do you just put N/A? How did you guys handle this? Looks like they require you to type something

Yea, email. Seems like they are got the ball rolling early this year...wooooo

Hey for people who are putting research down and have multiple publications, did you link all of them or did you link to a pubmed search of your name?

I have 4 publications on pubmed and i think that linking them would eat up a lot of space in the character limit, what do you guys suggest?

I think i might give them a call and see if i can just put a webpage up with all the links...

what are all of you doing about the waiver/statement of confidentiality they want with our letters? our letters go through amcas. how are we supposed to deal with this requirement? what are you doing?

I accidentally read "500 words," now it looks like I've got some heavy editing to do =( .

Status
Not open for further replies.