2010-2011 University of South Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone else heard this at their interview, but they told the first two weeks of interviewees that in 2-3 weeks they would either tell them "yes" or "we're still thinking about it" after comparing to the first few pools of interviews. They also said that when they say they're still thinking about it, they "really are still thinking about it." So I don't think it's essentially a rejection... I haven't heard anything so I'm guessing I have one of those letters when I get home today...

Pretty sure I have one of those letters waiting at home too. I do also remember them telling us that it isn't a rejection. Still a major bummer though.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got the "based on the overall score the committee gave your application, we can't offer you admission right now, but your application will be actively reviewed until March" letter in the mail. Is this essentially a rejection? Does anyone know of people that have gotten in after getting this letter?

I interviewed a while ago in september and haven't heard word yet, I haven't gotten this hold letter or heard if i was accepted. Maybe it will come later this week but I live in Columbia and figured I would have received the letter by now...interesting....

As for the actual hold letter, from reading last year's thread it seems that around March 15th they actually go back and review your app and using your ranking you are put on the waitlist in order of your score. The list could be from 50-150 people and being in the top third appears to be your best bet. You are not out of the running as far as I know, but I would call and make sure. Good luck.

:thumbup::laugh: ACCEPTED AS of Monday :laugh::thumbup:

Here are my stats- I interviewed 9/22. I am in an state student. My MCAT was 28Q and my GPA was 3.9.

Don't feel discouraged if you are on hold. It is still very early in the season.

Did anyone else get accepted that interviewed on 9/22????

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed a while ago in september and haven't heard word yet, I haven't gotten this hold letter or heard if i was accepted. Maybe it will come later this week but I live in Columbia and figured I would have received the letter by now...interesting....

As for the actual hold letter, from reading last year's thread it seems that around March 15th they actually go back and review your app and using your ranking you are put on the waitlist in order of your score. The list could be from 50-150 people and being in the top third appears to be your best bet. You are not out of the running as far as I know, but I would call and make sure. Good luck.

guitarguy23, I interviewed (maybe the same day you did) and I haven't received the "letter" these guys have either... nothing yet.

guitarguy23, I interviewed (maybe the same day you did) and I haven't received the "letter" these guys have either... nothing yet.

Interesting. If we get nothing in the mail today I'm sure that is a good sign, let me know if you get anything today though. :xf:

maybe you guys are still being considered...I feel like I am pretty much rejected since no one else seems to have gotten that letter.... :(

:thumbup::laugh: ACCEPTED AS of Monday :laugh::thumbup:

Here are my stats- I interviewed 9/22. I am in an state student. My MCAT was 28Q and my GPA was 3.9.

Don't feel discouraged if you are on hold. It is still very early in the season.

Did anyone else get accepted that interviewed on 9/22????

Thanks for sharing. It gives me some hope now.

@tigerdude:

Nothing came for me in the mail today. How about you?

maybe you guys are still being considered...I feel like I am pretty much rejected since no one else seems to have gotten that letter.... :(

I interviewed in September. Got the "on hold" letter yesterday in the mail. :(

Just for clarification, does receiving the letter mean we will not be hearing anything else until March/April, or is there a chance we will be admitted during another of the acceptance periods?

I interviewed in September. Got the "on hold" letter yesterday in the mail. :(

I got that letter last year and ended up getting in before the waitlist was even compiled. It is definitely not a rejection. I was also OOS

I got that letter last year and ended up getting in before the waitlist was even compiled. It is definitely not a rejection. I was also OOS

You just made my day!! At least there is a little bit of hope...the way the letter was worded it sounded like, "you aren't a very good applicant, but we are going to wait until March to reject you". Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to this school at the beginning of Oct. Hopefully that isn't too late!

I got the secondary and turned it in. About how long does it take to see if you have an interview or not? Do they let you know by email?

I'm IS in Columbia, 30 MCAT, 3.5 GPA (grades significantly went up last two years). I wish they were better though.

Congrats to all with acceptances!

Woah that's great to hear since I've been recently put on hold as well! :thumbup:

Would you recommend sending an update/interest letter to the admissions office? Anything I could do to improve my chances of maybe getting in pre-list? When were you accepted?

Woah that's great to hear since I've been recently put on hold as well! :thumbup:

Would you recommend sending an update/interest letter to the admissions office? Anything I could do to improve my chances of maybe getting in pre-list? When were you accepted?

I didn't send any sort of letter, so I cannot say either way about how effective they are. I interviewed around this time last year and didn't find out that I got in until May right before they made the w/l ... Hang in there people

Thanks for sharing that. It's definitely encouraging! I'm holding out hope that maybe this will be the case with me.

ACCEPTED TODAY!!!! :D

I interviewed October 27th, and got a call from Dr. Ford this morning.

My stats for those interested: In-state, re-applicant, 3.84 GPA, 31Q MCAT.

Woo hooooooooo!!!

Just got the call from Dr. Ford!!!! ACCEPTED!!!

I am also a re-applicant. Interviewed with Dr. Catalana in Greenville on October 19th then at USC on the 20th. 3.82 overall/30 O

Good luck everyone! And if you're on hold don't lose hope. I know a number of people that were accepted off the wait list last year.

Last edited:
I applied to this school at the beginning of Oct. Hopefully that isn't too late!

I got the secondary and turned it in. About how long does it take to see if you have an interview or not? Do they let you know by email?

I'm IS in Columbia, 30 MCAT, 3.5 GPA (grades significantly went up last two years). I wish they were better though.

Congrats to all with acceptances!

congrats for your interview.
Just got the call from Dr. Ford!!!! ACCEPTED!!!

I am also a re-applicant. Interviewed with Dr. Catalana in Greenville on October 19th then at USC on the 20th. 3.82 overall/30 O

Good luck everyone! And if you're on hold don't lose hope. I know a number of people that were accepted off the wait list last year.

If you do not mind asking, Why do you ahve to Interview with Dr. Catalana. I also have to attend interview with SC but I am called at the university and I do not ahve to appear with any local physician for interviews. Do they have interview with a doctore in the community before interview at the campus?

Would someone please mind sharing interview experiences?

thanks

pcard:

"If you do not mind asking, Why do you ahve to Interview with Dr. Catalana. I also have to attend interview with SC but I am called at the university and I do not ahve to appear with any local physician for interviews. Do they have interview with a doctore in the community before interview at the campus?"

I was just given the option to interview with him if I wanted to. This may be because this is my second time applying or the fact that I am from Anderson and live very close to Greenville. I was told by a friend that goes to USC SOM to interview with him if I had the opportunity bc he heads the admissions meetings and is able to talk about the people he interviewed more. Sorry for the confusion.

Good luck everyone!!

pcard:

"If you do not mind asking, Why do you ahve to Interview with Dr. Catalana. I also have to attend interview with SC but I am called at the university and I do not ahve to appear with any local physician for interviews. Do they have interview with a doctore in the community before interview at the campus?"

I was just given the option to interview with him if I wanted to. This may be because this is my second time applying or the fact that I am from Anderson and live very close to Greenville. I was told by a friend that goes to USC SOM to interview with him if I had the opportunity bc he heads the admissions meetings and is able to talk about the people he interviewed more. Sorry for the confusion.

Good luck everyone!!
thanks America88
ALl the best to you too.
Just read again and you are already in.
Congrats.

This forum is very dull.
Any more interviews/acceptences from here?

What is the average time that it takes to receive an interview request?

Any out of staters receive an interview invite yet?

any one please tell ssomething about the interview process here?

thanks

pcard, I just interviewed here this past Wednesday. It is a relatively laid back interview process. You start the day at noon with lunch with fellow applicants and some medical school students (who have nothing to do with the admissions process so you can feel free to ask them questions). Then, all the applicants move to a room where you are welcomed by the admissions coordinator and he tells you what to expect for the rest of the day and after your interviews. You then have two separate 30 minute interviews with 2 members of the admissions commitee. After those, everyone meets up in the lobby for what they call cookie time where you will have a quick opprotunity to meet the rest of the admissions committee. Someone from financial aid then addresses everyone and after a quick tour the day is over. Everyone is really nice and helpful and overall I thought it was a great experience.

pcard, I just interviewed here this past Wednesday. It is a relatively laid back interview process. You start the day at noon with lunch with fellow applicants and some medical school students (who have nothing to do with the admissions process so you can feel free to ask them questions). Then, all the applicants move to a room where you are welcomed by the admissions coordinator and he tells you what to expect for the rest of the day and after your interviews. You then have two separate 30 minute interviews with 2 members of the admissions commitee. After those, everyone meets up in the lobby for what they call cookie time where you will have a quick opprotunity to meet the rest of the admissions committee. Someone from financial aid then addresses everyone and after a quick tour the day is over. Everyone is really nice and helpful and overall I thought it was a great experience.
Thanks Clemson88 for sharing.
and all the best to you.

anyone who interviewed in November hear anything yet?

anyone who interviewed in November hear anything yet?

Don't know if you are asking because you are waiting to hear, but if you are -- They make decisions on the 15th of every month and usually let everyone know on the 16th, so if you interviewed after November 15th then you should find out around December 16th!

Don't know if you are asking because you are waiting to hear, but if you are -- They make decisions on the 15th of every month and usually let everyone know on the 16th, so if you interviewed after November 15th then you should find out around December 16th!

really? I thought it was just a "within the next 2 or 3 weeks" from the interview date since they meet right after the interviews and give you a 'score'.

where'd you find that out?

really? I thought it was just a "within the next 2 or 3 weeks" from the interview date since they meet right after the interviews and give you a 'score'.

I emailed Shelley at USC about it before I was accepted and she told me they meet around the 15th of the month. I was accepted on the 16th so I believe her. I believe they are doing this to get a better idea of the applicant pool before they give out acceptances. Good luck everyone!

My friend called USC and asked and that is what they told him. I also asked at my interview just to be sure it was correct and the admissions guy told me those dates which in some cases definitely conflicts with the "2 or 3 week" time frame I've heard from them before.

Late to the party I know, but got an interview invite today for Feb. 9th. (I wasn't complete until the beginning of Nov. thanks to the US Army's outstanding 4 month turnaround time for transcripts.)

haha great. I interviewed on the 17th... looks like another week of waiting. fantastic.

thanks for the info tho

haha great. I interviewed on the 17th... looks like another week of waiting. fantastic.

thanks for the info tho

another week isnt so bad... I interviewed in october, got put on hold, didn't hear another word until the end of May when they put together the waitlist and made the final round of acceptances.

Good luck everyone

another week isnt so bad... I interviewed in october, got put on hold, didn't hear another word until the end of May when they put together the waitlist and made the final round of acceptances.

Good luck everyone
did anyone here about interview results from last month?

I guess, they are having meeting today.

did any one get a acceptence call/email yet?

they probably met today because yesterday was an interview day. calls/emails will likely go out tomorrow

they probably met today because yesterday was an interview day. calls/emails will likely go out tomorrow

ACCEPTED

HAHA wow I got a call from Dr Ford literally 2 minutes after I posted this.

I just got accepted!!! OMG and i interviewed YESTERDAY!! I am so amazed n humble

ACCEPTED

HAHA wow I got a call from Dr Ford literally 2 minutes after I posted this.

Congrats.
what time you got the call?
i am also waiting.

I just got accepted!!! OMG and i interviewed YESTERDAY!! I am so amazed n humble

what time did they told you and Did they call you or you got an email?

What is the average time that it takes to receive an interview request?

I only found out I had an interview because I called and asked questions. I believe that I called November 8th and my invite was sent 12/13.

The person I spoke with offered to look me up in the system to see if I had an interview and I did! She also said that they do not send out invites too early because the "don't want students to forget." I can't imagine forgetting my interview date. It is branded in my mind.

My interview is Feb 16 (so long of a wait) but I did finish my application later than I had planned (had to perfect my personal statement which took longer that I had wanted).

So if you are waiting for an invite go ahead and call and it will save you a lot of worry.

Last edited:
I only found out I had an interview because I called and asked questions. I believe that I called November 8th and my invite was sent 12/13.

The person I spoke with offered to look me up in the system to see if I had an interview and I did! She also said that they do not send out invites too early because the "don't want students to forget." I can't imagine forgetting my interview date. It is branded in my mind.

My interview is Feb 16 (so long of a wait) but I did finish my application later than I had planned (had to perfect my personal statement which took longer that I had wanted).

So if you are waiting for an invite go ahead and call and it will save you a lot of worry.
all the best

Status
Not open for further replies.