2010-2011 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Received secondary today.

3.8/32 OOS non-URM traditional applicant with no WV ties.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thought I would give a little hope to the sub-30 OOSers..

I got a secondary with a 29P and I am OOS from western pennsylvania. I had an 8 in PS! 3.8 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA... so there is hope for those who might not be perfect OOS applicant. p.s. I did not attend UG in WV either and am not URM... but am a little non-trad (been out of school 3.5 years)

i am OOS an in western pa also and have no been completely screened out(they are waiting on my MCAT scores) but when talking to the university, it seems as though southwestern pa is held to a little less of a standard than other OOSers. Maybe that will be what gets us an acceptance.

i am OOS an in western pa also and have no been completely screened out(they are waiting on my MCAT scores) but when talking to the university, it seems as though southwestern pa is held to a little less of a standard than other OOSers. Maybe that will be what gets us an acceptance.

Could be... I grew up in SW PA about 2 hours from WVU and work about an hour and half from there now.

The school says clearly that preference is given to applicants from bordering states, i.e., Virginia, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Ohio. You're saying that even stronger preference is given to SW PA residents over these? All I know is that the process was tough for all OOS last year (very long waits!), at least according to last year's thread. Hopefully things will be better for us this year.

Has anyone been scheduled for an interview here yet? I was told that pretty much everyone receiving a secondary would get an interview, unless something strange showed up in the secondary....I'm starting to get nervous :scared:

Has anyone been scheduled for an interview here yet? I was told that pretty much everyone receiving a secondary would get an interview, unless something strange showed up in the secondary....I'm starting to get nervous :scared:

Nothing here. I don't think anyone's received one, so don't worry. Last year the invites were sent via snail mail, so watch your box.

Wow no love for me from the Virginia schools. First EVMS rejects me pre-secondary, now West Virginia...EVMS didn't even wait for my new MCAT score.
And my MCAT score is 30..GPA is very close to 3.5. OOS. No ties whatsoever to Virginia. Oh well not like i wanted to go here anyway haha. This was probably the only school i applied to that i don't really want to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS! What's the first date available?

They don't give you options of dates... they just sent a letter with an assigned date for mid october so I assume it starts somewhere around there

Interview invite arrived today for Fri. Oct. 29th!!! gotta admit I'm pretty excited. will be my 2nd interview, 3rd invite

Snail mail interview invite! I'm scheduled for October 8. I have three interviews that week, so I'm kind of :scared:. But I guess it's better than the alternative.

Congrats to everyone who's gotten interviews!

Congrats on the invites! Were all of you complete in August, and are all of you OOS?

Interview invite yesterday, headed down there on Oct 6. Anyone know if their interview dates are flexible? I'm supposed to have an exam that day...

Interview Invite for October 21st. Came by Snail Mail and I received no email notification.

OOS cgpa 3.65 scigpa 3.69 MCAT 31O

No West Virginia Ties but grew up in Maryland, a bordering state

Secondary recieved July 29th
Online Secondary sent 8/10
Didn't receive completion notification.
Interview invite came 9/23

Hope that helps

Interview Invite for October 21st. Came by Snail Mail and I received no email notification.

OOS cgpa 3.65 scigpa 3.69 MCAT 31O

No West Virginia Ties but grew up in Maryland, a bordering state

Secondary recieved July 29th
Online Secondary sent 8/10
Didn't receive completion notification.
Interview invite came 9/23

Hope that helps

I don't think they send completion notifications. On last year's thread they considered their complete date as the date on which their checks were cashed. My check still hasn't been. I really wish I applied earlier!

Interview invite via snail mail for Oct.

OOS. I have absolutely no ties to WV or neighboring states.

Interview invite via snail mail for Oct.

OOS. I have absolutely no ties to WV or neighboring states.

same here...I'm completely shocked i was not expecting an interview from this school seeing as I have no ties to WV whatsoever...nor is my MCAT anything amazing

For those of you in state but did not attend WVU, did you fill out the WV Residency Application?

For those of you in state but did not attend WVU, did you fill out the WV Residency Application?
Not yet. I called the residency office and they sounded very confused about the whole thing. They said we needed a "student ID number" before filling for residency, so I assume we wait to see if we are admitted, then we file those forms. Makes sense that they don't want to bother with processing the applications when they aren't even sure the students will be admitted.

Rejected today, screened. OOS (Georgia), 3.5 cGPA / 3.4 sGPA, 27Q

Hi guys,
Not sure what to write for this question:

If you are a non-WV Resident, please state your WV Ties ( Alumni, Siblings, Relatives, other). If you are a resident please do not complete this section:

I don't have WV ties, but I grew up in Maryland (a bordering state). Do I just say that or put something I like about the school/area? Since it's not a yes/no question, I feel like I'm supposed to write something, but I don't want to put something they're not looking for which will be in my Why WVU? essay... thoughts?

Hi guys,
Not sure what to write for this question:

If you are a non-WV Resident, please state your WV Ties ( Alumni, Siblings, Relatives, other). If you are a resident please do not complete this section:

I don't have WV ties, but I grew up in Maryland (a bordering state). Do I just say that or put something I like about the school/area? Since it's not a yes/no question, I feel like I'm supposed to write something, but I don't want to put something they're not looking for which will be in my Why WVU? essay... thoughts?

I just wrote that I had no major ties to WV other than being from a bordering state.

How long did it take you in-state applicants to hear back?
I submitted my secondary in early September, got my interview invite 9/23, and am interviewing 10/6 (it's merely an assigned date, you don't get to choose).

I submitted my secondary in early September, got my interview invite 9/23, and am interviewing 10/6 (it's merely an assigned date, you don't get to choose).

Hey i was wondering if you could tell me what the interview was like, i.e. format, stress/relaxed, how many interviewers, etc. Thank you! I am interviewing there next week so I was just wonderingu what it is like. :)

Hey i was wondering if you could tell me what the interview was like, i.e. format, stress/relaxed, how many interviewers, etc. Thank you! I am interviewing there next week so I was just wonderingu what it is like. :)
It's very low-key. You arrive, stay in a room with the other interviewees (there were 4 total on my day), and get an into from Beth Ann or one of the other admissions staff. Then you go on a hospital tour with two of the medical students. You can talk to them about anything as they don't report to the admissions office and have no say in the final decisions. Next, you're all herded back to the waiting area and you interview 1x1 in 30 minute increments with two admissions committee members at the same time. They were really nice and take a lot of notes! Hope this helps and good luck!

It's very low-key. You arrive, stay in a room with the other interviewees (there were 4 total on my day), and get an into from Beth Ann or one of the other admissions staff. Then you go on a hospital tour with two of the medical students. You can talk to them about anything as they don't report to the admissions office and have no say in the final decisions. Next, you're all herded back to the waiting area and you interview 1x1 in 30 minute increments with two admissions committee members at the same time. They were really nice and take a lot of notes! Hope this helps and good luck!

Thanks for the info and hope your interview went well!
I'm surprised that there's only 1 interview though.

Any invites since 9/23? Anyone's check been cashed lately? Not a lot of activity on this board.

Got an interview invite 10/14 for 11/4.

Cash was checks a couple weeks earlier.

34 MCAT, below average GPA, I'm from a bordering state.

Snail mail interview invite came today for November 19th!!!

OOS, no Virginia ties whatsoever, 31R, 3.65gpa

Got interview on Nov 15th, came in snail mail.

My check was cashed on 8/24 so it took about two months to get the letter so keep on waiting people!

I'm OOS with no ties whatsoever.

Also, not to burst anyone's bubble, supposedly getting a secondary doesn't mean getting an interview....I looked in last year's thread and people have said the admissions committee stated the same thing when asked about this.

Interview invite for Nov 10th!!! I'm OOS. Good Luck everyone!

Nice, when were you complete?

Hemi, I received an email from Beth Ann on August 18 saying that they had received my online portion of the secondary and that they would not inform me if I was "complete" or not until I received an interview letter from them.

In fact, here's the wording she used, "Your confirmation will come in the form of an interview letter with any missing recommendations listed."

I just received that letter (finally!) on Saturday the 23rd, when they asked me to interview.

Did you get a similar email? Best of luck!

Hemi, I received an email from Beth Ann on August 18 saying that they had received my online portion of the secondary and that they would not inform me if I was "complete" or not until I received an interview letter from them.

In fact, here's the wording she used, "Your confirmation will come in the form of an interview letter with any missing recommendations listed."

I just received that letter (finally!) on Saturday the 23rd, when they asked me to interview.

Sorry, I should have asked when you submitted, since I too got that email about no official completion confirmations.

I submitted mine on 9/30 and haven't heard anything back yet. :confused:

Congrats on all the invites! I hope mine is in the mail!

Anyway, medicineman and hemichordate, we've been treating the dates on which our checks were cashed as reasonable approximations of our completion dates.

Good luck to the interviewees!

Last edited:
Congrats on all the invites! I hope mine is in the mail!

Anyway, medicineman and hemichordate, we've been treating the date on which your check was cashed as a reasonable approximation of the completion date.

Good luck to the interviewees!

Thanks AtTheBeach!

Ahh. Well in that case, I was complete on 8/24.... So if that's any indication, you still have a little while to wait Hemi (and others) :/ Sounds like k0b3 and I were in similar boats.

Good luck to you all!

got acceptance letter today which is surprising since they said that they basically waitlist everyone until March.
I'm OOS, interviewed a few weeks ago.

got acceptance letter today which is surprising since they said that they basically waitlist everyone until March.
I'm OOS, interviewed a few weeks ago.

Wow, you must have really impressed them! I don't think any OOS on last year's thread was accepted until March or later. Did the Admissions Office tell you that few OOS are accepted this early or were you basing this on last year's thread. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.