2010-2011 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
got acceptance letter today which is surprising since they said that they basically waitlist everyone until March.
I'm OOS, interviewed a few weeks ago.

Was it snail mail or e-mail? Also, how many weeks post interview was your response (4/3/2)?

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted yesterday also :). I'm IS, interviewed 10/6. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I sent in my online portion and mailed in portion of the secondary on October 1st and got the email confirmation for the online portion on October 4th. I haven't heard anything and am starting to get worried since it's been over 4 weeks!

How long does it generally take to hear after submitting the secondary materials? Has anyone been rejected post-secondary pre-interview?

Thanks!

I received an interview invite today via snail mail. My date was prescheduled for Dec 3rd. I am hoping to reschedule though. Does anyone know if they are willing to reschedule interviews?

I am OOS, 3.75 GPA, 31 MCAT. I submitted my secondary around the first of September. I have no ties to West Virginia.

Interview invite today, submitted late September.

Does anyone know the percent of people interviewed who get acceptances?

Congrats on the interviews! When were you complete, i.e., when were your checks cashed? Good luck!

Interview invite today, submitted late September.

Does anyone know the percent of people interviewed who get acceptances?
I tried to reschedule my early october interview and they could only offer me something in January, so I kept my Oct. date. Sooo, I wouldn't count on being able to switch it.

I'm In-State 31 MCAT, 3.65 u/sGPA. Check cleared 11/1. Waiting on interview. I'll also receive a Master's in Biomedical Sciences from Marshall in Dec. I pretty much had to bug them from a secondary though. Originally I received an email saying I couldn't receive one until my newest MCAT came in, it came in didn't hear anything from them so starting like 2 weeks later I had to email 3 times to get a response to make sure i didnt get lost in the clutter.

Got an interview invite today.. submitted secondary materials Sept 10

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone sent an update to Ms. McCormick, regarding new grades, publications, etc.? Did she respond?

This is good if you are out of state post interview right?

[email protected] to me show details 2:02 PM (1 hour ago)

The Committee on Admissions at West Virginia University School of Medicine met recently to review your application. We were favorably impressed, and at this time, your application is placed on our waitlist/alternate list. What this means is that you are still being considered for acceptance. It is early in the admission season and we have many more applicants to interview before we can make our final decisions. You could be waitlisted for weeks or months. We will keep you posted every few months. Thank you for your patience in this matter. I am sure you are a little disappointed with this waitlist notice. We are sending this to you now, so you have an idea of where you stand with us, and can plan accordingly. Do not give up hope. We will be sending out updates periodically. Thanks for your interest in West Virginia University School of Medicine and good luck. Sincerely, G. Anne Cather, MD, Associate Dean for Student Services and Professional Development

OOS cgpa 3.65 scigpa 3.69 MCAT
No West Virginia Ties but grew up in Maryland, a bordering state

Secondary recieved July 29th
Online Secondary sent 8/10
Interview invite came 9/23
Interviewed October 21st
Email notification 11/12/10 2:27 PM

Got the same email on Friday. OOS but from PA. 3.8 GPA Sci/Overall 35 P MCAT. It said we can be waiting for months, anyone know if that's true?

I got an interview here coming this Monday and it looks like a student host is not going to be possible. Anyone who interviewed have suggestions on the best/cheapest place to get a hotel? Is there one with free shuttles and things like that and offer discounts to interview people? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to plan my schedule. Thanks.

Got the same email on Friday. OOS but from PA. 3.8 GPA Sci/Overall 35 P MCAT. It said we can be waiting for months, anyone know if that's true?

It's absolutely true. Check out last year's thread. I believe all OOS heard in March or thereafter. One OOS person did receive an acceptance already this year, but that's unusual.

In-State
Secondary Complete (9/27)
Check Cashed (10/15)
Still haven't received letter for interview invite. Anyone else with this issue?

Just wondering and not sure if anyone knows but I'm OOS and have average stats (29S, 3.8 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA) and have absolutely no ties to WV (NJ resident). I received an interview but I'm just wondering what are my chances here as an OOS.....especially not being from a bordering state or having any ties

Last edited:
Just got an interview invite via snail mail, OOS. As far as I can tell though, you can't gain residency just by going to the school for a year. Can anyone confirm this? If that's the case, I'm going to have to pass up on this interview unfortunately.

Ah, ok thanks. Well I'm giving up my slot; good luck to all of you!

Isn't that the case with most schools that are considered OOS for a specific applicant?... I know you have to pay OOS tuition for all 4 years at University of Colorado too. Anyone know?

Isn't that the case with most schools that are considered OOS for a specific applicant?... I know you have to pay OOS tuition for all 4 years at University of Colorado too. Anyone know?

In NY, which is where I'm from, you gain residency after your first year as long as you live off campus and not in a dorm. I don't understand why they do that, but I suppose they like giving away our tax money. It makes far more sense to not allow students to acquire residency status.

In NY, which is where I'm from, you gain residency after your first year as long as you live off campus and not in a dorm. I don't understand why they do that, but I suppose they like giving away our tax money. It makes far more sense to not allow students to acquire residency status.

Ah, those were my thoughts exactly! It doesn't really make sense to give tax subsidies to folks who are coming in just for school for a few years.. It's not like they will be earning income and contributing to whatever state's income tax revenue...

I would imagine it's far more common for schools to not give residency tuition after year one. But I can't blame you for going that direction if NY will do it for you! Good luck

Hi everyone - I got an interview invitation today! Really excited... but actually I already have an interview on the day they offered me (Jan 27)... does anyone know how many days they interview a week/how late in the season they interview until? I'd probably prefer to reschedule the other interview... but not sure that's kosher.

Anyone else just recently get interview invitations?

Hi everyone - I got an interview invitation today! Really excited... but actually I already have an interview on the day they offered me (Jan 27)... does anyone know how many days they interview a week/how late in the season they interview until? I'd probably prefer to reschedule the other interview... but not sure that's kosher.

Anyone else just recently get interview invitations?

I have a 1/13 interview that I'll be calling and cancelling tomorrow around noon. You might be able to call them after and try picking up that date if it works better for you. Good luck!

In-State
Secondary Complete (9/27)
Check Cashed (10/15)
Still haven't received letter for interview invite. Anyone else with this issue?

Interview Invite: 12/11/10
Date: 1/31/10

Looks like about a 2 month turnaround for when check is cashed if you submitted in September.

Last edited:
I have a 1/13 interview that I'll be calling and cancelling tomorrow around noon. You might be able to call them after and try picking up that date if it works better for you. Good luck!

Thanks!

I called yesterday morning to try to reschedule my interview. I got voicemail and left a message... haven't heard anything. I know it's only the next day, but I get worried that all the interview slots will fill up! Anyone leave messages to schedule interviews?

How long does it take for Ms. McCormick to get back after leaving a message? Not sure if I should call again...

Thanks!

Anyone receive a post-interview decision from here lately?

Anyone receive a post-interview decision from here lately?

I'm hoping hoping hoping to hear from them this week before Christmas :xf: I interviewed 11/19 and they said that most likely we'd hear back just before Christmas break......

This is good if you are out of state post interview right?

[email protected] to me show details 2:02 PM (1 hour ago)

The Committee on Admissions at West Virginia University School of Medicine met recently to review your application. We were favorably impressed, and at this time, your application is placed on our waitlist/alternate list. What this means is that you are still being considered for acceptance. It is early in the admission season and we have many more applicants to interview before we can make our final decisions. You could be waitlisted for weeks or months. We will keep you posted every few months. Thank you for your patience in this matter. I am sure you are a little disappointed with this waitlist notice. We are sending this to you now, so you have an idea of where you stand with us, and can plan accordingly. Do not give up hope. We will be sending out updates periodically. Thanks for your interest in West Virginia University School of Medicine and good luck. Sincerely, G. Anne Cather, MD, Associate Dean for Student Services and Professional Development

OOS cgpa 3.65 scigpa 3.69 MCAT
No West Virginia Ties but grew up in Maryland, a bordering state

Secondary recieved July 29th
Online Secondary sent 8/10
Interview invite came 9/23
Interviewed October 21st
Email notification 11/12/10 2:27 PM

I'm hoping hoping hoping to hear from them this week before Christmas :xf: I interviewed 11/19 and they said that most likely we'd hear back just before Christmas break......

So, anyone hear anything lately?

Also, I interviewed in November and haven't heard anything from them, waitlist notification or otherwise. Any speculation as to whether NOT receiving the above email is bad or good? I'm OOS. Thanks and good luck.

So, anyone hear anything lately?

Also, I interviewed in November and haven't heard anything from them, waitlist notification or otherwise. Any speculation as to whether NOT receiving the above email is bad or good? I'm OOS. Thanks and good luck.

I'm going nuts waiting... Still haven't heard anything--snail mail or email. I'm sure it was easy for the committee to get backed up just before and during the holiday season, so I'm not getting too worried yet... It's more frustrating than anything. I'm personally gonna sit as patiently as possible for another week or so.

Good luck to everyone in a similar position!

I was accepted mid-Dec or so. Interviewed in Oct I think? Waitlisted a couple weeks after before getting accepted. Everything is a bit of a blur at the moment... lol. OOS no ties at all with average numbers. I remember at the interview, we were told that there are four "pushes" to fill up spots. Like, thanksgiving they try to fill up a quarter of the spots, christmas half the spots, etc.

I would not worry at this point because they seem to do things pretty slowly and Beth kind of made it seem almost random... "the committee just gives me names when they feel like it" kind of thing...

Anyway, sad but I'm also likely going to give up my spot to one of you hopefuls. It was a lovely school though, such friendly people and just a very sweet community.

I got the waitlist email today. Can't decide if its a good or bad thing. Interviewed Nov 11th, OOS but from Pittsburgh.

Just got an email saying I'm waitlisted as well. Holding hope though...

Did any other interviewees catch what Ms. McCormick said about the waitlist process? She said something about how everyone on the waitlist is listed alphabetically, meaning there is no rank. Well, then how do they choose who finally gets invited? I'm thinking waitlisters are just randomly picked from the list every Tuesday or so and their files are reviewed.

Also, does anybody know if their is a site that details the wait list statistics? Like % of interviewees who get waitlisted and % of those waitlisted who finally get in.

Thanks and good luck to you all

I interviewed oct 21st and got waitlisted 11/12. Got an update email today and it informed me that I am still waitlisted. That was as useful to me as an update that water is still wet. :laugh:

WL email as well....:(

Anyway, they should be sending out acceptances by snail mail this week, so watch those mailboxes! Those of you who interviewed in October and November who didn't receive the waitlist email stand a very good chance of having been accepted! Best of luck! I'm jealous!

The acceptances they send out are in absurdly thin envelopes, so don't worry in you see a thin envelope from WVU!

Hey all,

I received an interview invitation in December for a late January interview. I have a conflict for the interview and tried to reschedule, but Ms. McCormick was on vacation until January 5. I left a message in late December and then was told to email her which I did but haven't heard back. Called today and just got voicemail again. Anyone in this situation and know if Ms. McCormick is getting back to people? I guess she just must have tons of messages to respond to...

Thanks!

Hey all,

I received an interview invitation in December for a late January interview. I have a conflict for the interview and tried to reschedule, but Ms. McCormick was on vacation until January 5. I left a message in late December and then was told to email her which I did but haven't heard back. Called today and just got voicemail again. Anyone in this situation and know if Ms. McCormick is getting back to people? I guess she just must have tons of messages to respond to...

Thanks!

Check out last year's thread. I think it's exceedingly difficult, if not impossible, to reschedule.

Finally got my interview invite today. IS, secondary submitted 10/11/10, check cashed 11/01/10, and my interview is scheduled for 02/02/11.

I sent an email to Ms. McCormick on 01/12/11 regarding my invitation (which is guaranteed after being granted a secondary, AFAIK) and though I still haven't received a response, the invite was post-marked for the next day. Coincidence?

I just got an interview invite today and it is scheduled for the 7th of February. I was wondering if anyone else had this date?

Any pointers from anyone that has interviewed? They ask hard questions or mainly the basics? Anything else you would suggest?

Thanks

Ryan

Hello everyone. I was wondering how long the wait was after you submitted your secondary materials before hearing about whether or not you qualified for an interview. I submitted everything at the end of October and still havent recieved anything in the mail. I am asking here first before contacting Ms. McCormick because she seems very stern about not contacting her to confirm the reciept of secondary materials. Any input would help. Thank you in advance!

Hello everyone. I was wondering how long the wait was after you submitted your secondary materials before hearing about whether or not you qualified for an interview. I submitted everything at the end of October and still havent recieved anything in the mail. I am asking here first before contacting Ms. McCormick because she seems very stern about not contacting her to confirm the reciept of secondary materials. Any input would help. Thank you in advance!

As I stated above, I submitted all of my secondary information on 10/11/10, and my invite was postmarked on 1/13/11, so you can use that as a benchmark. Luckily, the interview date isn't another 3 months away :-/

I wouldn't recommend emailing Ms. McCormick, because I doubt you'll receive a response. My most recent email makes the second (of two) emails I've sent her this application cycle that have gone without response. Maybe this is an unmanned email address?

EDIT: I received a reply from Ms. McCormick this morning (1/21) stating that I'd be receiving my invite letter soon :p

Last edited:
Afternoon all! Just received an invite for Feb. VERY OOS, 30N, 3.88 however, I think triple major and trilingual might have helped me get consideration for an I-view. How confusing is Morgantown? Did anyone stay with a student?

Status
Not open for further replies.