2011-2012 Psychology PhD/Psy.D. Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sooo, where is everyone in terms of the apps? I just sent for my last transcripts, I have sent in the GRE scores, started most apps, but I'm still struggling with my SOP. Ugh.

Has anyone submitted their first app yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Okay, right. I meant post-baccalaureate programs only, since LivingtheDream was implying that he/she wanted the masters degree.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but my intent is to locate a university that combines a masters & PhD, but supplies a master's degree while in the process of continuing to pursue a PhD.

Sooo, where is everyone in terms of the apps? I just sent for my last transcripts (I've attended three schools!), I have sent in the GRE scores, started most apps, but I'm still struggling with my SOP. Ugh.

No, and I am horrified that you asked. :)

To make everyone else feel good:
1. Still haven't gotten my GRE scores (and will be taking the Psychology GRE on November 14, which is cutting it very close for my January apps. Fortunately none of them actually require it, so I hope to get away with sending it in late.)
2. Must email my LOR writers with a flowchart - 2 are involved in writing grants and asked me to wait until mid-November.
3. Haven't the slightest idea about customizing my SOP.
4. Haven't contacted or identified professors at 4/7 schools.
5. Still have to request transcripts from 2 schools.
6. I mixed up some of the school numbers on my GRE reports. Must fix them before Nov. 14.
7. My CV needs work.

:cry:

Members don't see this ad :)

I've submitted most of my online apps, sent my GRE scores, transcripts (for 6 schools, ouch!), and distributed my LOR materials. I'm starting to work on the snail-mail materials now, so I guess I'm in a good place. I have many December 1st deadlines, so really that's only 3 weeks or so (because Thanksgiving is a bust). I'm so ready for this to be over! It's a TON of work to do all of these different applications!

It's my second time applying so I feel like things are going MUCH more smoothly this time. I've got about 7 apps in and will be done with all my Dec. 1st deadlines after the next app is in. Then I only have a few more left to get in before Thanksgiving (that's my goal even though there are a couple January schools).

My only struggle so far is keeping focused and trying not to vacillate too much between the extremes of my thoughts about this cycle: "Yay! I'm such a good fit for these POIs! I think I'll make it this year!" and, "Oh God, I'm never going to get in. Everyone else is light-years ahead of me. I have a snowball's chance..."

Still, as happy as I'll be when they're all done, I'm not looking forward to all the nerve-wracking waiting and watching my top schools send out invites to other people. I just hope that come Spring I'll have reasons to get more optimistic!

Wow, I have a lot of Dec 1 deadlines too. I feel so behind now. The only reason why I haven't submitted any apps yet is because I don't feel satisfied with my SOP.

Speaking of the SOP, is it your experience too that most schools don't provide much information on what to include and how long the SOP is supposed to be? I have a couple of schools that mention what they'd like to see, but most of them only says something along the lines of "Write a comprehensive Personal Statement detailing relevant experiences, personal interests, and career goals." I'm just worried that I'm gonna find more detailed information somewhere else right before applying which is why I am wondering what all of you who have started to submit apps or who have applied before have experienced.

Thanks!

Speaking of the SOP, is it your experience too that most schools don't provide much information on what to include and how long the SOP is supposed to be? I have a couple of schools that mention what they'd like to see, but most of them only says something along the lines of "Write a comprehensive Personal Statement detailing relevant experiences, personal interests, and career goals." I'm just worried that I'm gonna find more detailed information somewhere else right before applying which is why I am wondering what all of you who have started to submit apps or who have applied before have experienced.!

I have read and been told that when no word limit is provided that you should assume that they are expecting the SoP to be around 2-2.5 pages double spaced, 11-12 font. I've tried to stick to that with all of my essays (5 in total), though I've trended more towards 2.5 pages for most of them. If anyone else has heard differently please speak up.

Good Luck!

I have read and been told that when no word limit is provided that you should assume that they are expecting the SoP to be around 2-2.5 pages double spaced, 11-12 font. I've tried to stick to that with all of my essays (5 in total), though I've trended more towards 2.5 pages for most of them. If anyone else has heard differently please speak up.

Good Luck!

Oh wow, I have been aiming for 1000 words/2 pages single spaced. Maaan, I hate the SOP. Haha. Thanks though :)

Oh wow, I have been aiming for 1000 words/2 pages single spaced. Maaan, I hate the SOP. Haha. Thanks though :)

Yeah it blows. It makes sense though because they are going to have to read dozens/hundreds of these things and so only want the pertinent information. I tend to always belabor the point whenever I'm writing so I'm considering it to be a training experience comparable to 'wax on, wax off,' except without Ralph Macchio. I've almost killed my computer a couple of times, but I'm hoping that in the end all of the brevity will pay off. :xf:

There is no PhD program that does not offer a masters degree en-route to the PhD. Sorry for the double negative--in other words, all the PhD programs will issue a masters degree.

The 'terminal' jargon is typically used to identify a masters degree. So, if you attend a PhD program and attain a master's degree along the way, that is not a terminal masters. A terminal degree leads to licensure. Every PhD is terminal. If you want a terminal/licensable masters "just in case," then you may want to consider a PsyD program--but not likely then, either.

P.S.--Do you have a degree in psychology? I get the feeling that you are changing careers and don't have a background in this field (correct me if I'm wrong, though). Perhaps you should start by getting one of those terminal masters degrees and then deciding whether you want a PhD.

This is incorrect. There are programs that require an MA/MS for admittance, and they do not grant an MA/MS during the Ph.D. process.

There also are PhD programs that do not require a MA/MS for admittance but will not grant you one along the way if you enter with a master's degree from elsewhere. :smuggrin:

I have read and been told that when no word limit is provided that you should assume that they are expecting the SoP to be around 2-2.5 pages double spaced, 11-12 font.

So is this what most people are doing? Anyone else who wants to share their experiences?

So is this what most people are doing? Anyone else who wants to share their experiences?

Mine is 1100 words, 2 pages single spaced. Well, actually 1.15 spaced. I find that this makes it a little easier on the eye. All my advisors have told me that unless they state a specific requirement, 2 pages single-space, regular font, 11 or 12 point, is standard.

I honestly don't think I could say what I want to say using much less.

Mine are also ~1000 words, 2 pages, 1.5ish spaced. I think this is the average and agree it allows for enough room for detail without being too much. I did have one with a 500 word limit, that was fun. I also had another with very specific topics I had to cover which was longer (~1500 words).

Members don't see this ad :)
I ended up in a PsyD program and I couldn't be happier. Plenty of opportunities to pursue research if I desire (and I am) with a strong program with a focus on clinical applications of research. Don't assume I am taking out debt up to my eyeballs either. I was lucky enough to have no undergrad loans although my loans will be fairly significant. It was the right fit for me in the end though.

That being said, good luck to everyone this year. I really don't envy you - but it is all worth it in the end.

Just want to say good luck to everybody applying this year!

I was in your position this time last year when I was applying to 11 clinical combined ph.d programs.... Fresh off the pain of the GRE, scrambling to get transcripts sent and applications filled out, trying my best to establish relationships over email with POI's, worried I came off too eager and scared them all off, and having panic attacks when I looked at the numbers that actually get accepted anywhere......

Believe it or not this is the easy part, it is a lot harder in March/April/May, when you are stressing out waiting for word of interviews, rejections, admissions, and scrapping for any bit of info you can....

In the end I got into a funded Clinical program...so it was all worth it... but I was worried for a while there, and only myself and one other in my cohort of 6 got accepted anywhere on their first try and fresh out of undergrad....The others took at least one year to get research/clinical experience and get publications. So if you don't get in on the first try, don't worry, it's not uncommon and don't give up!!!

Lastly, reward yourself!!!! First, after getting all your applications sent in, and then again after you get the final word, regardless of whether you got in or not, surviving the application and admissions process is a great achievement in itself and you deserve a cookie!

How about some people who applied and got accepted with master's degrees? I'm sorry, but I can't relate to any of you who are fresh out of undergrad (or even a year or two out, quite frankly). I have a BA in a different field, worked many years, changed careers, have spent the last 3.5 years in a masters program, didn't do fantastically on the GRE, applied minimally to doctoral programs last year...and this is it for me. So, who went down this road and can offer advice for this type of applicant?!

How about some people who applied and got accepted with master's degrees? I'm sorry, but I can't relate to any of you who are fresh out of undergrad (or even a year or two out, quite frankly). I have a BA in a different field, worked many years, changed careers, have spent the last 3.5 years in a masters program, didn't do fantastically on the GRE, applied minimally to doctoral programs last year...and this is it for me. So, who went down this road and can offer advice for this type of applicant?!

I can't offer any advice because I'm in application mode as well, but I wanted to let you know that you're not the only one fresh out of undergrad going through this process. I do come from a Psychology background, but already have an M.S. in Counseling. Gearing up to apply to Clinical and Counseling Ph.D. programs this year and wondering how it will all work for someone coming in with a Master's - assuming I get in somewhere!

I applied and got in with an MA. (though I must admit, I went into the MA program straight out of undergrad with a BA in psych) Good GRE scores, mediocre psych GRE scores... Feel free to PM if you want!

This is my second time around applying. The first time I applied to Ph.D. programs in Neuroscience for all the wrong reasons and I did not have my act together. I'm applying to Ph.D. programs again, but in Clinical Psych. I have my LOR's being written. Transcripts sent. I'm working on getting unofficial copies sent to myself for my records. GRE taken last month. I've almost completed my SOP. I had my old boss proofread it and she loved it. I have one of my coworkers proofreading it now. Once she gives me feedback I can revise (if needed) and send off. I'm hoping to have all applications completed by Thanksgiving so in case something happens I have a few days to take care of it. All of my application deadlines are Dec. 1. This is so stressful. Good luck everyone!

I have a question. I took the GRE in July, was not satisfied with my quant score, so took it again in September to bring that score up, which I did. The only problem is I screwed myself on the writing section the second time around. I had a really hard time conceptualizing my answers on one of the eassays and ran out of time before I had a chance to finish it, leaving me with a 3.5 analytical score. However, the first time around I got a 5.0 on the writing section.

My question is, will the schools consider the highest score? All of the schools I'm applying to say they only weigh the highest GRE score, but I'm wondering if that's for the overall test or if they take the highest for each section, even if they're from different testing times. I know I am a decent writer and will hopefully demonstrate that with my personal statement and GPAs (3.7 undergrad, 3.94 M.S.), but I'm worried I may have shot myself in the foot. Should I acknowledge it in my SoP? Grr..so frustrated.

I have a question. I took the GRE in July, was not satisfied with my quant score, so took it again in September to bring that score up, which I did. The only problem is I screwed myself on the writing section the second time around. I had a really hard time conceptualizing my answers on one of the eassays and ran out of time before I had a chance to finish it, leaving me with a 3.5 analytical score. However, the first time around I got a 5.0 on the writing section.

My question is, will the schools consider the highest score? All of the schools I'm applying to say they only weigh the highest GRE score, but I'm wondering if that's for the overall test or if they take the highest for each section, even if they're from different testing times. I know I am a decent writer and will hopefully demonstrate that with my personal statement and GPAs (3.7 undergrad, 3.94 M.S.), but I'm worried I may have shot myself in the foot. Should I acknowledge it in my SoP? Grr..so frustrated.

Though all programs are different, I'm pretty sure a majority will go off of your most recent score as the barometer for your potential success in their program. I think it would be kind of weird for them to base their review off of your new Verbal/Quantitative scores and then your old Analytical score, right? If you feel that everything else in your application (i.e., transcripts, experience, academic career, etc.) doesn't require precedence over the lower writing score then I would definitely mention it in the SoP, especially if you are submitting a writing sample because then you can just refer to that and say 'see, ETS got it wrong!' I bombed my analytical writing section too (scores yet to be received), and I've been stressing about it since I left the test center. But I figure that that is really one of the lowest criterion for their selection (unless its regarded as 'high' by the APA guide) and that if anything it will most likely be relied on when it comes to post-interview selections (as in, if its between two candidates and they have to split a bunch of hairs to find the best one). Because that section is relatively new compared to the other formats (some of my programs don't even require me to submit Analytical scores) they might even look at your scores and the variability between the two and then just assume your like a 4.25.

Though all programs are different, I'm pretty sure a majority will go off of your most recent score as the barometer for your potential success in their program. I think it would be kind of weird for them to base their review off of your new Verbal/Quantitative scores and then your old Analytical score, right? If you feel that everything else in your application (i.e., transcripts, experience, academic career, etc.) doesn't require precedence over the lower writing score then I would definitely mention it in the SoP, especially if you are submitting a writing sample because then you can just refer to that and say 'see, ETS got it wrong!' I bombed my analytical writing section too (scores yet to be received), and I've been stressing about it since I left the test center. But I figure that that is really one of the lowest criterion for their selection (unless its regarded as 'high' by the APA guide) and that if anything it will most likely be relied on when it comes to post-interview selections (as in, if its between two candidates and they have to split a bunch of hairs to find the best one). Because that section is relatively new compared to the other formats (some of my programs don't even require me to submit Analytical scores) they might even look at your scores and the variability between the two and then just assume your like a 4.25.

If I'm remembering correctly (it's been several years), there actually were a decent number of programs that asked you to submit your best score in each area regardless of administration date. Although yes, it is very program-dependent; some will let you mix and match, and some will want you to stick to your best single administration.

I can't offer any advice because I'm in application mode as well, but I wanted to let you know that you're not the only one fresh out of undergrad going through this process. I do come from a Psychology background, but already have an M.S. in Counseling. Gearing up to apply to Clinical and Counseling Ph.D. programs this year and wondering how it will all work for someone coming in with a Master's - assuming I get in somewhere!

I applied and got in with an MA. (though I must admit, I went into the MA program straight out of undergrad with a BA in psych) Good GRE scores, mediocre psych GRE scores... Feel free to PM if you want!

+1. Another advanced PhD student here who entered with a master's degree once upon a time. I check this thread sporadically, but if you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck, folks! :luck:

If I'm remembering correctly (it's been several years), there actually were a decent number of programs that asked you to submit your best score in each area regardless of administration date. Although yes, it is very program-dependent; some will let you mix and match, and some will want you to stick to your best single administration.

Thanks for the responses. My testing dates were only 2 months apart, so the first one isn't really an "old" score, just a different score from pretty much the same point in my life. :) I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope that, when looking at my application packet as a whole, they realize that the first score is more representative of my actual abilities.

I'm filling out apps, and many of my schools want to know what other schools I'm applying to. Does anyone know if I have to disclose this or how they use this information? Have you all filled it out on your apps?

I'm filling out apps, and many of my schools want to know what other schools I'm applying to. Does anyone know if I have to disclose this or how they use this information? Have you all filled it out on your apps?

I read that professors want to know where else you're applying so they can determine how well you researched which schools match your interests and skills best. It demonstrates you aren't just applying everywhere and anywhere to gain admission. If you've made a good list of schools, you'll likely be viewed favorably.

Source:
http://clinicalpsychgradapp.wordpress.com/applying/the-application-itself/

I read that professors want to know where else you're applying so they can determine how well you researched which schools match your interests and skills best. It demonstrates you aren't just applying everywhere and anywhere to gain admission. If you've made a good list of schools, you'll likely be viewed favorably.

Source:

Ok thanks so much!

I have another question. I have filled out most of all my apps and am now going back to fill out the rest. When I logged into ets a couple of days I noticed that my GRE scores had a changed percentile next to them, they had been updated since I took the test. Should I go back and change the percentiles I reported to correspond how it is now instead or should I keep it the way it was when I took it in June?

Related, I am assuming I should keep my old scores even though they have now also been transformed to new scores as well, right?

It's probably too late for someone to just start their application process for this year right?

At the very least, I know I will have to retake the GRE as my verbal had a very low prediction (<550)...do clinical programs usually accept the idea of submitting all application materials minus the GRE scores and submitting those a week or two late?

thanks.

It's probably too late for someone to just start their application process for this year right?

At the very least, I know I will have to retake the GRE as my verbal had a very low prediction (<550)...do clinical programs usually accept the idea of submitting all application materials minus the GRE scores and submitting those a week or two late?

thanks.

Take the deadlines that schools post very seriously. I've heard from some posters on this forum that some schools look at applications that are submitted a little late, but why risk it? Kind of pointless to go through all the effort and spend the money just to have your application passed over for someone who was able to get theirs in on time. Plus, it will look like you didn't think about this enough and its a last minute decision. I started applications in the Spring and started working on my SOP in the summer.
As far as the GRE goes, you can go to the GRE website and see when schools will get your GRE scores. I took the revised GRE a couple of weeks ago and my scores will be sent to the schools on the Dec 1. deadline. I contacted the graduate school and asked if that would be acceptable. You also have to give the people that are writing your LORs plenty of time especially if you are applying to a lot of programs. This time of year is really busy for everyone.
My advice is to wait and apply next year especially if you have to take the GRE. That will take some time to study for and by the time schools get your scores, it could be too late. Writing the SOP takes months and you definitely do not want to rush on that. If the schools you are thinking about applying to have Dec. 1 deadlines then you really only have about 2 weeks since Thanksgiving week is sort of a waste. IMO, 2 weeks is not enough time at all to do applications.
Oh and to answer your question about submitting GRE scores later than the rest of the application. You could submit your application with your old scores, but it sounds like you didn't really score high enough to be considered for Ph.D. programs. Unless you had an awesome Q score.

Hey everyone,
I am a 1st year in a university-based clinical PsyD program. I applied to 12 programs last year, both clinical PhD and PsyD programs. I got interviews at 3, and got into 2. In the end, the program I chose was the better fit for me. So, if anyone has questions feel free to ask me. Although, like others have said, please send a PM if you would like a response, as I will probably not be keeping up with this thread. I'm not sure if it's frowned upon to reveal the program we're in, but if you are curious about specific PsyD programs, send me a message and I can give you info on my program.

Hey everyone,
I am a 1st year in a university-based clinical PsyD program. I applied to 12 programs last year, both clinical PhD and PsyD programs. I got interviews at 3, and got into 2. In the end, the program I chose was the better fit for me. So, if anyone has questions feel free to ask me. Although, like others have said, please send a PM if you would like a response, as I will probably not be keeping up with this thread. I'm not sure if it's frowned upon to reveal the program we're in, but if you are curious about specific PsyD programs, send me a message and I can give you info on my program.
Nevermind, I forgot you are able to look at past posts from everyone. Last year, I posted in a decision thread where I was going, so I guess the cat's already out of the bag haha. I am a 1st year in the PsyD program at LIU-CW Post. So, if anyone has specific questions about that program, feel free to PM me and ask.

Source:

That's interesting. I always thought they did that because it helped them figure out what kind of a funding package to offer you...

Hi everyone,

I am posting here because I am running across somewhat of a dilemma while working on my statement of purpose for UCLA. All of the UC schools I am applying to want some sort of equivalent of a diversity statement. However, the other UCs I am applying to do not require this diversity statement to be integrated into your regular statement of purpose, except UCLA. Trying to fit this in with my statement of purpose seems a little inorganic. Is anyone else having the same problem/have any tips? I have done research and volunteered with diverse groups, but it is not the reason I went into psychology (so can't integrate it there) and is not significant enough to the core of my interests to really mention it there without sacrificing the careful ways I crafted my statement. I was thinking of tacking it on towards the end, and trying to find some way to transition, but I would appreciate any suggestions you may have!

That's interesting. I always thought they did that because it helped them figure out what kind of a funding package to offer you...

Negative. Just about everyone in clinical programs (on average) receives the same funding. There are some exceptions with a few folks who are offered "special" awards, grants, or what have you who may end up receiving more money. Overall, most folks within a program receive the same amount of funding as everyone else in the program.

I had an interview with a prof (not my POI) who called me on my school choices. I had some very specialized research interests, so there weren't too many programs available with POIs in that domain. Therefore, I also applied to profs who I considered potentially related, as well as to other research areas of interest (because I'm fortunate enough to have multiple interests). At one point during my interview, the prof asked where else I had applied, followed by why. Thankfully, I knew damned well my rationale for each & every program, so I rattled off my reasons. She responded something along the lines of, "Hmm, okay, just checking, I really did not think all of those programs had folks researching x." Of course, that crazy lady quizzed me on calculus and at one point also informed me that I "most likely really did not want to attend there" anyway. That whole day was bizarre. :laugh:

I had an interview with a prof (not my POI) who called me on my school choices. I had some very specialized research interests, so there weren't too many programs available with POIs in that domain. Therefore, I also applied to profs who I considered potentially related, as well as to other research areas of interest (because I'm fortunate enough to have multiple interests). At one point during my interview, the prof asked where else I had applied, followed by why. Thankfully, I knew damned well my rationale for each & every program, so I rattled off my reasons. She responded something along the lines of, "Hmm, okay, just checking, I really did not think all of those programs had folks researching x." Of course, that crazy lady quizzed me on calculus and at one point also informed me that I "most likely really did not want to attend there" anyway. That whole day was bizarre. :laugh:

So how does one gracefully answer the above types of questions (about schools, not calc) if one either:

a) has multiple disparate research interests
or
b) really is picking schools for geographic convenience?

How much does the research interest match even matter for PsyD students (I'm thinking Pepperdine, not Rutgers)

(I know b is discouraged, but without a divorce and time machine, I'm never going to be young and unencumbered again.)

Last edited:
Of course, that crazy lady quizzed me on calculus and at one point also informed me that I "most likely really did not want to attend there" anyway. That whole day was bizarre. :laugh:

What a lunatic!! Only a masochist would want to be mentored by a person like that. Blech.

So how does one gracefully answer the above types of questions (about schools, not calc) if one either:

or

How much does the research interest match even matter for PsyD students (I'm thinking Pepperdine, not Rutgers)

(I know b is discouraged, but without a divorce and time machine, I'm never going to be young and unencumbered again.)

Um, how about...lie?! How will they know what schools you're actually applying to? Or at least tailor your answers (as with the SOP) to that school and that narrow region/interest area. Or make them wide enough to fit all of the categories. If they're playing a game, play along with them. If there's anything I've learned by working with addicts and alcoholics, it's how easy it is to say things that people want to hear. It's sad that anyone has to do that, but apparently it is necessary.

Um, how about...lie?! How will they know what schools you're actually applying to? Or at least tailor your answers (as with the SOP) to that school and that narrow region/interest area. Or make them wide enough to fit all of the categories. If they're playing a game, play along with them. If there's anything I've learned by working with addicts and alcoholics, it's how easy it is to say things that people want to hear. It's sad that anyone has to do that, but apparently it is necessary.
My area of interest could be considered unfocused, so I'm customizing it to program/school.
I wouldn't consider this lying, it's explaining why I'm applying to them specifically. If they ask about your hobbies, you're not going to say "dancing in elevators" even if that was true. You'd say something like "reading the news" etc. You're human and allowed to have varied interests and don't have to tell them everything.

or

You plan ahead (so that you know your responses) and respond directly. My primary interests are x and y, but I also would be greatly interested in z. Of course, if there is at least some overlap, then you're likely to be looked at a bit more favorably than a scatterbrain who used a magic 8-ball to create your application list.

Additionally, as JuniperTree mentioned, you should be tailoring your apps for each program anyway. So you're not "lying" or "deceiving" anyone if you tell them that your interests are 'x' and 'y', which are compatible with their program (but you perhaps leave out that you have other interests that are not quite so compatible with their program).

During my second round of applications, I applied to more programs than could even be listed on the limited space where they ask to "what other programs are you applying? I tended to list those programs that were comparable to the one for that application, and that had research faculty with similar interests as that particular program.

Geographical convenience is a bit trickier, but I would still stand by the above. Tailor your app to the program. Find *something* (other than location) that the program has going for it as to why you want to attend there. Research, clinical opportunities, or whatever the case may be.

I had a prof during an interview who suggested that the program's location might not be ideal for me due to the significant differences in weather compared to where I was living previously. (Oddly, this was brought up repeatedly... :rolleyes:) Again, be prepared to discuss their location if necessary, i.e., either why it's an ideal fit for you or (if not) how you intend to overcome those challenges (and how you're more interested in the program, not the location anyway).

Buuuut, a lot of this occurred much later, during the interview stages... Something to be thinking about though when crafting those SOPs.

G'luck, folks! :luck:

What a lunatic!! Only a masochist would want to be mentored by a person like that. Blech.

:laugh: It wouldn't be the first (nor I suspect the last) time I've been accused of such.

I was later informed by one of the profs in my master's program that this sort of behavior was not uncommon for their entire dept, not just that individual prof. My prof had been faculty at this program previously and quit for a number of reasons, with one of them being due to the "extreme" competitiveness among faculty and students alike. To say it was cutthroat would be an understatement apparently. He told me that I got lucky to be waitlisted on that one.

It was quite the disappointment at the time though. They were a top 10 program, and I had no clue why they were inviting me with my credentials at the time anyway, but, man, oh, man was I ecstatic to have that interview. :smuggrin:

Being in a program located in a colder, northern climate - our faculty ask those weather-related questions during interviews. I've seen a few instances of applicants turning down offers after swearing during interview weekend that they'd looooove to be here. I understand that people apply to programs they don't really like just to hedge their bets, but now that I've seen things from the other side, I don't blame faculty for asking about the topic multiple times to get a sense of how serious the applicant is.

There are some interesting questions/statements that come up in interviews... I once had an interviewer go into a literal monologue in the middle of the interview. It's hard to know what to do when a male who is interviewing you quotes Lady Macbeth at length in between questions.... :)

Some asked how many places I applied to or how many interviews I had, was I almost done with my interviews, etc. One asked me if I knew a particular prof at my alma mater...I didn't recognize the name and the interviewer said that the person was a prof in the '60s. Wasn't even alive til a couple of decades after that.... The vast majority of interviews were fairly average...but there's always an interesting question or quote thrown in there somewhere :)

Being in a program located in a colder, northern climate - our faculty ask those weather-related questions during interviews. I've seen a few instances of applicants turning down offers after swearing during interview weekend that they'd looooove to be here. I understand that people apply to programs they don't really like just to hedge their bets, but now that I've seen things from the other side, I don't blame faculty for asking about the topic multiple times to get a sense of how serious the applicant is.

Yep, same thing happens in my program for these reasons . . . although at the time of my interview, it irritated me to no end. Yes, I'm from "The South," but I really, really, really do not like the hot-ass, sticky humid weather there, so you would be doing me a huuuge favor to bring me to your blizzard-y conditions and 20+" snow. :smuggrin: :love:

I have seen some interviewees turn down offers though after realizing just how brutal it can be. I feel for the ones who come in on a "good" day and think it doesn't get any worse. Poor guys are wondering what hit them a year later.

Yep, same thing happens in my program for these reasons . . . although at the time of my interview, it irritated me to no end. Yes, I'm from "The South," but I really, really, really do not like the hot-ass, sticky humid weather there, so you would be doing me a huuuge favor to bring me to your blizzard-y conditions and 20+" snow. :smuggrin: :love:

I have seen some interviewees turn down offers though after realizing just how brutal it can be. I feel for the ones who come in on a "good" day and think it doesn't get any worse. Poor guys are wondering what hit them a year later.

Another good reason to have interviews in January or February!! Coming up north in the summertime is like a dream. Come winter, it's hell on earth. Those faculty aren't stupid, they hate it themselves, I'm sure.

You plan ahead (so that you know your responses) and respond directly. My primary interests are x and y, but I also would be greatly interested in z. Of course, if there is at least some overlap, then you're likely to be looked at a bit more favorably than a scatterbrain who used a magic 8-ball to create your application list.

Additionally, as JuniperTree mentioned, you should be tailoring your apps for each program anyway. So you're not "lying" or "deceiving" anyone if you tell them that your interests are 'x' and 'y', which are compatible with their program (but you perhaps leave out that you have other interests that are not quite so compatible with their program).

During my second round of applications, I applied to more programs than could even be listed on the limited space where they ask to "what other programs are you applying? I tended to list those programs that were comparable to the one for that application, and that had research faculty with similar interests as that particular program.

Geographical convenience is a bit trickier, but I would still stand by the above. Tailor your app to the program. Find *something* (other than location) that the program has going for it as to why you want to attend there. Research, clinical opportunities, or whatever the case may be.

I had a prof during an interview who suggested that the program's location might not be ideal for me due to the significant differences in weather compared to where I was living previously. (Oddly, this was brought up repeatedly... :rolleyes:) Again, be prepared to discuss their location if necessary, i.e., either why it's an ideal fit for you or (if not) how you intend to overcome those challenges (and how you're more interested in the program, not the location anyway).

Buuuut, a lot of this occurred much later, during the interview stages... Something to be thinking about though when crafting those SOPs.

G'luck, folks! :luck:

This is great--thanks, paramour. Truth is, I'll probably only apply to 1-2 programs. No funded program would take me at this point, and I'm way too old and cantankerous to put up with that cutthroat silliness anyway. There's really only 1 reasonably reputable non-PhD program in my area, so if they don't take me I'll probably just satisfy myself with masters level training.

This is great--thanks, paramour. Truth is, I'll probably only apply to 1-2 programs. No funded program would take me at this point, and I'm way too old and cantankerous to put up with that cutthroat silliness anyway. There's really only 1 reasonably reputable non-PhD program in my area, so if they don't take me I'll probably just satisfy myself with masters level training.

No problem. :)

Regardless of what you decide, you never know who's going to accept you in those funded programs. Some of them like older, cantankerous old folks, as they tend to perceive them as being more mature, settled, and (hopefully) you have something *unique* to offer to their labs. Whereas others want the typical straight out of undergrad folks who they can mold to their every specification.

I think I'm too old and grumpy to put up with this BS most of the time. 'Tis probably why I sometimes get flak from my dept more than others. :laugh: Keep thinking it would be better to just leave, but I'm oh, so damned close, damnit to hell & then some! :oops:

No problem. :)

Regardless of what you decide, you never know who's going to accept you in those funded programs. Some of them like older, cantankerous old folks, as they tend to perceive them as being more mature, settled, and (hopefully) you have something *unique* to offer to their labs. Whereas others want the typical straight out of undergrad folks who they can mold to their every specification.

Thanks, I appreciate that, but I just don't have the juice for it. And I'm in my mid-dish 40s--I had mentors telling me I was too old to be taken seriously when I was still in my mid-30s! I can't keep up with the diehards and don't want to any more.

I think I'm too old and grumpy to put up with this BS most of the time.

Another reason why I like you!

'Tis probably why I sometimes get flak from my dept more than others. :laugh: Keep thinking it would be better to just leave, but I'm oh, so damned close, damnit to hell & then some! :oops:

That's why I admire you applied psych folks so much. You've got so many options. You chose wisely. What can you do with a degree in linguistic anthropology (or similar) if the academic job market crashes? Zip. I think I'd just pull through with my PhD if there were some actual...job possibilities on the other end of this mess. But even if you folks get sick of it, there's light at the end of the tunnel because you're actually employable. Brava.

"Please provide any additional information that may assist the Admissions Committee in reviewing your application."

What do people tend to put in this section?

I have explained why I wanted to go into psychology, my experiences, and my faculty interests all in my personal statement. Nothing traumatic happened to my while in school (thankfully). I do not have any academic semesters with poor performance that I need to explain. My GREs are okay, but I am not sure providing a statement that I do not believe my GRE scores are indicative of my ability to perform in graduate school (as I do have a MS) is necessary (or is it?).

So, I am a little lost for this part. Do I simply put N/A? Explain that I work 65-80 hours per week, enjoying running, and have two dogs?

Any advice?

Is this a required section? If not, and you don't have any extenuating circumstances that need to be explained, I'd just leave it blank. If for some reason they do require an entry, I'd just write something general and brief, e.g. "The strength of my candidacy lies in my long-standing commitment to clinical science (or whatever you're applying to), as best outlined in my attached C.V. and statement of purpose."