2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from either Pitt or Ohio U clinical programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything from George Mason clinical PhD? Last years thread indicated they sent their invites out the 1st week of January. Thanks!

Has anyone heard anything from George Mason clinical PhD? Last years thread indicated they sent their invites out the 1st week of January. Thanks!

I was wondering this today too. I've heard nothing yet

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there was one person mentioning michigan state but overall it's quiet... They arent usually this late! Same for Uconn (save the one POI) and Miami... I'm starting to freak out

I know there was one person mentioning michigan state but overall it's quiet... They arent usually this late! Same for Uconn (save the one POI) and Miami... I'm starting to freak out

Do you know for sure all of the various UConn pre-interview's were for the same POI?

I was wondering this today too. I've heard nothing yet
Hi called both George Mason and Southern Methodist University today as both have extended invites the last two years in the first week of Jan. Both said they expect to send out invitations in the next 7-10 days.

Also, I know someone was asking about Drexel's invites. I know two people who received invites from Dr. Butrin, Dr. Forman, and Dr. Herbert. I don't know any other information.

Hi called both George Mason and Southern Methodist University today as both have extended invites the last two years in the first week of Jan. Both said they expect to send out invitations in the next 7-10 days.

Also, I know someone was asking about Drexel's invites. I know two people who received invites from Dr. Butrin, Dr. Forman, and Dr. Herbert. I don't know any other information.

Thank you kmnowlan! Way to be proactive!

Thank you kmnowlan! Way to be proactive!
Yes, let's call it "proactive" versus obsessive and stalkerish. Makes me sleep better at night. =) I just made sure not to give my last name so they would not mark me as "that annoying person" on my application! Good luck!

any advice as to what I might expect during a pre-interview phone call... e.g. how best to prepare...? a bit nervous!

Has anyone heard from the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)? UMich sent out interview invites via email on Jan 10th last year.

(I'd make some joke about being neurotic and having checked and noted this date in last year's interview invite forum, but I know I'm in good company right now :) )

Has anyone heard from the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor)? UMich sent out interview invites via email on Jan 10th last year.

(I'd make some joke about being neurotic and having checked and noted this date in last year's interview invite forum, but I know I'm in good company right now :) )

I haven't heard anything. Wish my schools would start sending out invites! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been in contact with the University of Utah? It doesn't seem like any invites have gone out, but I would like to know when the interview dates are if anyone has already called and asked.

ditto!

Hello all, I'm a first-time poster and long-time lurker here.

Just received an email(Jan 10) from the Adler School of Professional Psychology for the Clinical PsyD program (Generalist). As I am an international student, my phone interview is scheduled on the January 17.

Good luck everyone!

any advice as to what I might expect during a pre-interview phone call... e.g. how best to prepare...? a bit nervous!
I've had a few of these and I think these things helped me, but everyone prepares themselves differently:

1) Summarize your research interests broadly, in a way that is unique to your personal statement (because they may have it in front of them). Be able to speak about this fluidly for a few minutes. If there are specific interests of yours that are a key part of your POI's research, highlight why you find those areas interesting. - Try to be as enthusiastic as possible when discussing how much you love research for clinical Ph.D. programs.

2) Write down many, many questions, because you will be asked if you have any. The questions you ask say a lot about your interests. If you are applying to a research-oriented program, make sure the first and bulk of the questions you ask are about this.

3) Practice so you aren't so nervous! I find it helps to dress up for the phone interview as if it's a real interview. I don't think it necessarily makes me sound more professional, but it helps me put my game face on. :)

You'll do great! From your written materials, your POI already thinks you are an excellent candidate. Own it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't think we can go based off of last years dates. The GRE scores came out so late this year that I think everyone's dates are going to be pushed back a week or so. I'm still having trouble with some schools who have just received scores.... Pain in the butt because I don't want it to hurt my application. Just my opinion.

Has anyone heard from either Pitt or Ohio U clinical programs?
Haven't heard from Pitt yet for clinical Ph.D. program. Last year it looks like invites were extended Jan 17/18.

All of these invites are very anxiety producing (like everyone else on here I know). I've applied to the following has anybody heard anything from the following schools:
1. Baylor- PsyD (clinical)
2. U of Iowa- PhD (counseling psych)
3. U of Texas - PhD (counseling psych)
4. U North Texas - PhD (counseling psych)
5. NOVA Southeastern - PsyD (clinical)

I know that Baylor and NOVA's applications were both due in January, but all the rest were due December 1. Getting very eager to hear something.

Okay I have a random question and would like to hear what you guys think... If I get rejected from my top PhD program, is it weird to ask if they would consider me for their masters program? I'm assuming if the program doesn't make that offer then it's kind of pointless to ask... but then again maybe it would be worth it (in the hopes of eventually getting into that PhD program). Tell me what you think.

Okay I have a random question and would like to hear what you guys think... If I get rejected from my top PhD program, is it weird to ask if they would consider me for their masters program? I'm assuming if the program doesn't make that offer then it's kind of pointless to ask... but then again maybe it would be worth it (in the hopes of eventually getting into that PhD program). Tell me what you think.

I think it all depends on the program. One of my programs never ever takes any of their masters students into their doctoral program. However 50% of another program's incoming PhD students come from their own masters pool - so it really depends. In my opinion, it really doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe phrase it as "does your school have a specific process for declined PhD applicants to subsequently apply to your masters program?" They may tell you that you need an entirely new application while others might "piggyback" your information on to the appropriate channels. If you're close to someone at that program (faculty/student), I would ask them straight up if getting a masters there would help your chances of getting in to their PhD program later.
Hope this helps!

Has anyone heard from University of Denver psyd yet? Their deadline was December 5th so I'm thinking they should be contacting people soon. Let me know

University of Connecticut Clinical PhD
pre-interview over phone scheduled for this week
via email from POI 1/8

I'm very excited because honestly I wasn't even expecting to get a pre-interview here, but also completely stressed about this phone call! This is going to be a tense few months....

Just got an interview invite from The Graduate Center at CUNY. Meeting with both a faculty member (not my POI) and a student in 2 separate interviews...this is my first invite so I'm pretty excited!

Email did not say when the interview date was, I just need to contact them to arrange a date so interviews may be based on one-to-one scheduling.

Here's hoping this first email sets the tone for the rest!

Just got an interview invite from The Graduate Center at CUNY. Meeting with both a faculty member (not my POI) and a student in 2 separate interviews...this is my first invite so I'm pretty excited!

Email did not say when the interview date was, I just need to contact them to arrange a date so interviews may be based on one-to-one scheduling.

Here's hoping this first email sets the tone for the rest!

Congrats! Which program are you interviewing for? Which CUNY school?

I think it all depends on the program. One of my programs never ever takes any of their masters students into their doctoral program. However 50% of another program's incoming PhD students come from their own masters pool - so it really depends. In my opinion, it really doesn't hurt to ask. Maybe phrase it as "does your school have a specific process for declined PhD applicants to subsequently apply to your masters program?" They may tell you that you need an entirely new application while others might "piggyback" your information on to the appropriate channels. If you're close to someone at that program (faculty/student), I would ask them straight up if getting a masters there would help your chances of getting in to their PhD program later.
Hope this helps!

Thank you for the advice!

No way! That's bizarre. My POI said they have a "recruitment weekend" but that's after you have already been admitted, so maybe that's what the admissions officer was referring to?

It sounds like we will know about admission early feb. (At least that's what my POI said!)

So strange! I spoke to an admissions officer yesterday
regarding interview invites and she said that they are still reviewing the applications and that interviews will be extended the first week of Feb at the earliest. Seems to conflict with your info re: no on-site interviews...

Has anyone been in contact with the University of Utah? It doesn't seem like any invites have gone out, but I would like to know when the interview dates are if anyone has already called and asked.

No word from Utah yet on my end either!

Has anyone heard from Fordham? Based on the fact that no one has posted anything here or on GC I'm guessing nothing has been sent out, but has anyone been in touch with admissions members or POI's or anything?

Thanks!

I applied there, but haven't heard anything yet about interviews. I talked to my POI before applying, and she said that this is one of the few programs where you're admitted to the department as a whole...not to the POI's lab. I guess you choose your mentor after admission. I have received a few e-mails asking me to specify my POI (or two or three) in the application portal, but nothing else.

University of Miami FL (Clinical)
Invite 1/10, Interview 2/10
Email from Director of Admissions

I applied there, but haven't heard anything yet about interviews. I talked to my POI before applying, and she said that this is one of the few programs where you're admitted to the department as a whole...not to the POI's lab. I guess you choose your mentor after admission. I have received a few e-mails asking me to specify my POI (or two or three) in the application portal, but nothing else.

Oh, very interesting. Thanks for sharing! Yeah, I received those same emails about specifying a professor (which seems a little paradoxical given what your POI told you..maybe they just want a general sense of which professors students might eventually want to work with). Thanks for your reply, good luck!

congrats! Though, I was hoping to get this e-mail.... Oh well.

[they probably didn't even look at my app, I was below their GRE scores]

Last edited:
I was hoping since last year's thread showed that Northwestern Feinberg school of med called on both 1/6 and 1/12 that I'd still have a chance, but obsessive me called the school this morning and was told that all of the invites have been sent out :( It was on my top list

*sigh* still waiting for UCLA, UIC, BU, SDSU/UCSD JDP and UF (all for clinical psych PhD)

Congrats to all those who got the lucky call!!

Congrats! Are you applying to the health track (guessing from your name)? I wonder if they sent out invites to all tracks as it appears they have been sent out separately in the past...

congrats! Though, I was hoping to get this e-mail.... Oh well.

[they probably didn't even look at my app, I was below their GRE scores]

Congrats! Are you applying to the health track (guessing from your name)? I wonder if they sent out invites to all tracks as it appears they have been sent out separately in the past...

Correct, the adult and child track haven't even met to discuss applicants yet, so there is still hope.

Last edited:
Thanks for this information

The admissions officer you spoke with must have been referring to the clinical program for Minnesota. The counseling program at Minnesota says on their webpage that there are no in-person interviews and that the clinical program is the only one that has on-campus interviews. Hope that helps!

Not sure what track you're applying to but the adult and child track haven't even met to discuss applicants yet, so there is still hope.

Thanks for letting us know, did you call the department to find out about this?

Not sure what track you're applying to but the adult and child track haven't even met to discuss applicants yet, so there is still hope.

Thanks for passing on the info that the child and adult tracks haven't met yet, did you call and ask?

Just got a call from a grad student at Drexel calling on behalf of my POI inviting me for an interview in 2/20.

So there's still time! Good luck!

Hello everyone!

First time posting.

I also received an interview invite via email last night from CUNY's Clinical program, asking me to email a graduate student and a professor to set up times.

Congrats and good luck to all in these trying days ahead!

Just got the call:

School name:
Southern Methodist University
Program type/track:
Clinical
Date received:
1/11/2012
How were you notified:
Phone call (didn't catch the name or position but wasn't my POI)
Interview dates offered:
2/18 with student event the evening before
Additional Info:
will reimburse $200 for traveling cost

Last edited: