2011-2012 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, here are all the schools that I applied to, has anyone heard from any of them, apart from NU?

Northwestern U
U of I Chicago
BU
Harvard
UMass Boston
Yale
Duke
UC Berkeley
University College London (I guess not many people applied outside the States)

Hi There,
We have BU, Harvard and Duke in common. I have not heard from any yet. I couldn't find any mention of these school neither on SDN nor on gradcafe. So I am hoping that no news is good news :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finished pre-interview with my POI from Texas A&M today. Went well. He said they are meeting for the next few days to decide on who to offer interviews to.

For those potential aggies, we should hear something very soon.

All right, so, Florida State.

I called today and the assistant said she thinks most interview invites have gone out by now, but not all.

However, we only have one pre-interview posted here on SDN, and nothing on TGC. Has anyone else heard at all from FSU?

I had the pre-interview and then they offer you to come to the real interview.. that's why I then posted the dates of the real interview. But I'm not the one that just posted something on the grad cafe so maybe there are still more going out!

Last edited:
Now I guess the question is...did all the POIs call people to do a pre-interview with? Just trying to hold out hope my application was so good they decided to skip the pre-interview and just invite me to the interview :) (that was a joke...well, not really I guess...:confused:)

I agree with you. I did have a nice phone meeting a few months ago that went well with my POI regarding my interests and goals. I hope my application was just as impressive as that conversation!

I agree with you. I did have a nice phone meeting a few months ago that went well with my POI regarding my interests and goals. I hope my application was just as impressive as that conversation!

Yep, same. I've talked with both my FSU and Harvard POIs on the phone or in person before. I'm hoping that was good enough to get my paper app a decent look/interview.

Regarding Texas A&M:

I believe my POI is one of the few (maybe only) that is doing pre-interviews. He mentioned that he had over 40 people apply to work with him and he wanted a chance to talk with some of them before they sent out invites.

Point, don't fret. We should hear something Wednesday (hopefully my chat went well enough today).

Looks like we can calm down about Umass Boston for a while!

Email I just received:

Many of you have been calling wondering when interviews will be for the UMass Boston Clinical Ph.D. Program. There will be all-day interviews on February 17 and 27. If you are going to be invited in for an interview, you will be contacted by email or phone after January 31.
Happy New Year!

Hmm.. maybe I should start calling my schools to see when they'll send out invites since others seem to be getting a positive response??

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that is what the dept. (clinical) chair told me! Cause I was freaking out about being at home and therefore missing important phone calls. She said they send invites for interviews only after the 17th...

Are you sure they meant interview invites, as opposed to admissions invites? It certainly seems that the interviews at 1/17, and they are often that early. Bummer for us all!

Did anyone who applied to UMass Boston not get this email? I am wondering if any kind of filtering process has begun here.

Last edited:
I also received the UMass email today. It was definitely anti climactic to open that email expecting to hear an inteview decision and come across that info. Anyways I am thankful it is not a rejection email!

Has anyone who applied to the policy research track at Northwestern Feinberg heard back about interviews? I think thus far I've only noticed posts from bmed, psychopathology + treatment, and neuropsych + neuroscience applicants.

Has anyone who applied to the policy research track at Northwestern Feinberg heard back about interviews? I think thus far I've only noticed posts from bmed, psychopathology + treatment, and neuropsych + neuroscience applicants.

Yep. Policy track is interviewing on the 10th.

Just got an on-campus invitation for U. Florida's Counseling Ph.D. program, post phone interview. So excited! Interview day is 2/6 with a grad student reception the evening before. :)

Question--

Does anyone know anything about Harvard's interview process? I received an email from my POI at Harvard asking to meet to discuss my interests and meet everyone in the lab, in person preferably. Is this is a pre-interview or an interview?? I can't find any info about interview dates on Harvard's website, and it occurred to me that they may just leave the process entirely up to the faculty members.

Last edited:
Question--

Does anyone know anything about Harvard's interview process? I received an email from my POI at Harvard asking to meet to discuss my interests and meet everyone in the lab, in person preferably. Is this is a pre-interview or an interview?? I can't find any info about interview dates on Harvard's website, and it occurred to me that they may just leave the process entirely up to the faculty members.

Harvard doesn't do in-person interviews, just phone. So if they've invited you to come meet in person, that's a very very good sign! :D Congratulations!

Harvard doesn't do in-person interviews, just phone. So if they've invited you to come meet in person, that's a very very good sign! :D Congratulations!
Great to know--thanks!!

Just got off of the phone from my POI at University of Minnesota--Counseling Psych (psych department)

Apparently they don't even do on-site interviews!!! I did not know this until the end of our "phone conversation".

He said that the next week or two professors are calling prosp students. Since I only got a 24hr notice, I suggest that anyone who applied there to start preparing!

We should know about admission in a few weeks, basically. :)

I just check the Gradcafe and it seems that someone already got an interview invitation from Upenn.
Has anyone heard from Penn?

Are you referring to the applied social psychology invite?

Are you sure they meant interview invites, as opposed to admissions invites? It certainly seems that the interviews at 1/17, and they are often that early. Bummer for us all!

Well they have a second round of interview I think...not sure thought moreover my POI is out of the country :(
but being sad or worried isn't going to solve anything so we will see what happens.

So i see people talking about drexel, but no one it seems who has been actually invited (unless i read posts wrong)

Was just wondering if anyone had any information on drexel's interview day (if any please PM me)

Have applied to many schools and thankfully have some interviews (even more thankfully none of them overlap). Im reading here a) obviously to see which schools have given invites out, but also b) to see interview dates so i can be prepared for possible overlap if it happens

good luck everyone! :)

Finished pre-interview with my POI from Texas A&M today. Went well. He said they are meeting for the next few days to decide on who to offer interviews to.

For those potential aggies, we should hear something very soon.

Which program/track did you apply for?

I just saw that University of Arkansas was listed on gradcafe for Clinical Psychology. Does anyone know if this was a mass e-mail or an individual e-mail from a POI?

Thanks!

I just saw that University of Arkansas was listed on gradcafe for Clinical Psychology. Does anyone know if this was a mass e-mail or an individual e-mail from a POI?

Thanks!

I'm not sure either, I hope its a mass email though, I would get so anxious seeing others get notified by a POI. Is this your first time applying there?

Yep, I haven't applied to Arkansas before. I'm holding out hope that it was invite via POI, so that I still have a shot :)

Yep, I haven't applied to Arkansas before. I'm holding out hope that it was invite via POI, so that I still have a shot :)

My first time too. Did a few invites already go out? Because gradcafe said they were going out today correct?

Has anyone heard anything from UOregon or UW-Madison for Clinical PhD? UOregon's website says that clinical interviews will be on the 20th of January, but other than the one e-mail interview posted on TGC, I can't find anything.

Has anyone heard from Fordham? Based on the fact that no one has posted anything here or on GC I'm guessing nothing has been sent out, but has anyone been in touch with admissions members or POI's or anything?

Thanks!

Just got off of the phone from my POI at University of Minnesota--Counseling Psych (psych department)

Apparently they don't even do on-site interviews!!! I did not know this until the end of our "phone conversation".

He said that the next week or two professors are calling prosp students. Since I only got a 24hr notice, I suggest that anyone who applied there to start preparing!

We should know about admission in a few weeks, basically. :)

So strange! I spoke to an admissions officer yesterday regarding interview invites and she said that they are still reviewing the applications and that interviews will be extended the first week of Feb at the earliest. Seems to conflict with your info re: no on-site interviews...

Has anyone heard anything from UOregon or UW-Madison for Clinical PhD? UOregon's website says that clinical interviews will be on the 20th of January, but other than the one e-mail interview posted on TGC, I can't find anything.

Hi, I contacted UOregon last week and have been told that the review process was continuing and selected applicants will be contacted within 2 weeks, so far it has been a week. No news from UW-Madison either, nothing mentioned neither on SDN nor Gradcafe. I began displaying some serious OCD symptoms because of this waiting period :laugh: Good Luck!

Can the person who received the invite for University of Toledo please PM me your POI and how you received the invite (if you feel comfortable)? Thanks!

Hello! Has anyone heard from the following schools as of yet?

University of Central Florida, University of Louisville, American University, and LSU

Feel free to PM me if you like.

I'd be interested in hearing from the person who received an invitation from University of Central Florida (Clinical Ph.D.)... Please PM me your POI if you feel comfortable!

Can the person who received the invite for University of Toledo please PM me your POI and how you received the invite (if you feel comfortable)? Thanks!

If it's not too much trouble, I was wondering if you would PM me the same information!

Thank you and CONGRATS :)

Hi, I contacted UOregon last week and have been told that the review process was continuing and selected applicants will be contacted within 2 weeks, so far it has been a week. No news from UW-Madison either, nothing mentioned neither on SDN nor Gradcafe. I began displaying some serious OCD symptoms because of this waiting period :laugh: Good Luck!

Okay. That makes me feel better and worse all at the same time. I am totally losing productivity by constantly refreshing TGC. It's odd that they are contacting individuals for another week when interviews are on the 20th.

Was the two week timeline specifically for clinical students, or for both clinical and psych sci?

Has anyone heard from Fordham? Based on the fact that no one has posted anything here or on GC I'm guessing nothing has been sent out, but has anyone been in touch with admissions members or POI's or anything?

Thanks!

I'm waiting on fordham too. I haven't heard anything regarding the process. I'm in your boat

Okay. That makes me feel better and worse all at the same time. I am totally losing productivity by constantly refreshing TGC. It's odd that they are contacting individuals for another week when interviews are on the 20th.

Was the two week timeline specifically for clinical students, or for both clinical and psych sci?

I specifically asked about the clinical program. I am not sure if this info pertains to other psych areas.

University of Vermont (Clinical)
Pre-interview over the phone scheduled for 1/12
Via email from POI

So strange! I spoke to an admissions officer yesterday regarding interview invites and she said that they are still reviewing the applications and that interviews will be extended the first week of Feb at the earliest. Seems to conflict with your info re: no on-site interviews...

The admissions officer you spoke with must have been referring to the clinical program for Minnesota. The counseling program at Minnesota says on their webpage that there are no in-person interviews and that the clinical program is the only one that has on-campus interviews. Hope that helps!