2011-2012 Rosalind Franklin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some heavy reading on last year's thread. Ninety-nine percent of people offered interviews were small pooled first. One guy said he wasn't, but he seemed trollish. From there, RFU sent out invites to small poolers in waves. There was a clear prioritizing system; some people took a couple of waves to get an interview. Some were indeed rejected at some point off of the small pool list (just as the email said was possible). I'd say that a really good percentage of people on the small pool ended up with interview invites, especially the ones small pooled early on. I'm hesitant to give a number because I did not count or anything like that, but it was pretty favorable. My final verdict is that getting small pooled is one step in the right direction.

got the email too. so this email isn't getting small pooled? there's another cut?

You misread it. The email actually means you were small pooled :).

Members don't see this ad.

I did some heavy reading on last year's thread. Ninety-nine percent of people offered interviews were small pooled first. One guy said he wasn't, but he seemed trollish. From there, RFU sent out invites to small poolers in waves. There was a clear prioritizing system; some people took a couple of waves to get an interview. Some were indeed rejected at some point off of the small pool list (just as the email said was possible). I'd say that a really good percentage of people on the small pool ended up with interview invites, especially the ones small pooled early on. I'm hesitant to give a number because I did not count or anything like that, but it was pretty favorable. My final verdict is that getting small pooled is one step in the right direction.

You misread it. The email actually means you were small pooled :).

Awesome. Thanks for the help and that's a relief. First bit of good news this cycle, hopefully it leads to something even better. Good luck to everyone else too!

If anyone would care to add their thoughts after reading some of last year's thread, do so! I'd like to get multiple perspectives on this as well. Good luck everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone would care to add their thoughts after reading some of last year's thread, do so! I'd like to get multiple perspectives on this as well. Good luck everyone! :)

I just did some major creeping as well and someone mentioned how they think there are different 'levels' of small-pool piles, based on your stats as an applicant. Wonder if this is true?

I just hope we hear something sooner rather than later - I'd hate to have been small-pooled this early and hear nothing until April!

I just did some major creeping as well and someone mentioned how they think there are different 'levels' of small-pool piles, based on your stats as an applicant. Wonder if this is true?

I just hope we hear something sooner rather than later - I'd hate to have been small-pooled this early and hear nothing until April!

I'm sure they do some sort of prioritizing- it only makes sense.

As for the timing, the first interviews weren't handed out until 9/1 last year. A bunch of people came off the small pool at that time. However, the small pool started a little bit after us, like around the 20th or so. Thus, I'm guessing a batch of interviews will be awarded around late August. Stay patient- you're doing well! :)

I wasn't small pooled but underwent primary screening on 07/06:(

same here. what are your stats? my mcat is > 30 (relatively balanced) and GPA is ~3.9 (both sci and nonsci)

non-trad: MCAT 35, cGPA: 3.4 sGPA: 3.9

IL Resident. I thought I would at least get small-pooled :confused:

non-trad: MCAT 35, cGPA: 3.4 sGPA: 3.9

IL Resident. I thought I would at least get small-pooled :confused:

ditto on the IL resident part. we're probably just in the "automatic-accept" pool :p

no, but really, i'm sure that the people in charge of looking at our apps just took a bit longer than the rest of these folks.

You guys probably will get small pooled. It happened somewhat randomly last year. It didn't occur in batches. They probably just haven't reviewed your app yet.

ditto on the IL resident part. we're probably just in the "automatic-accept" pool :p

no, but really, i'm sure that the people in charge of looking at our apps just took a bit longer than the rest of these folks.

I hope so. I handed my secondary on either July 3 or July 4 - but received the primary screening email on July 6 - so maybe they're reviewing the people who handed them in first...I hope so at least :(

I hope so. I handed my secondary on either July 3 or July 4 - but received the primary screening email on July 6 - so maybe they're reviewing the people who handed them in first...I hope so at least :(

Yep- I turned mine in a little bit before that! Around the 30th I think. Give it a few days.

I turned mine in on July 3 ( I have an Excel spreadsheet where I keep track of this....lol). Well, this makes me feel better. Misery loves company! :smuggrin:

EDIT: I also received primary screening on the 6th.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am very frustrated with this thing. I finished my secondary app back on July 5th but my university committee letter still has not arrived at amcas yet. They would not write one for us until after we sent them verification of our submitted amcas rec. Now I have finished most of my secondaries and I am still waiting on my school. What a hold up. I can't even enter the next stage until it is done.

That's pretty annoying. I'm still kicking myself over forgetting to submit the secondary for about 2 weeks (not sure how that happened), only just entered primary screening today :(

I think someone did the number crunching last year and got a 60-70 % chance of interview after small-pool, with the rest being rejected obviously.

did you find out by emailing or did they email you?

They e-mailed me. I submitted my secondary a little later then the people already pooled, so I'm assuming it was on a first-come-first-serve basis.

Just got the small pool email today - hopefully it's a good thing and not a "hold" or "re-review". I was complete 07/05.

Got small pool e-mail today. Entered screening on 14th; complete on 7th.

Has anyone gotten rejected or received an interview invite (even though it is only July)?? I feel like everyone on SDN + everyone else I know has been small pooled. It wouldn't really make sense to small pool every applicant, but maybe the SDN crowd is skewing who I'm looking at, such neurotic freaks most of seem to be - in the best way possible! Haha.

So the primary screening process means what?

Did anyone get small-pooled without going through primary screening?

those of you who are now small pooled: when did you get the initial "you have entered the screening process" email and then the small pool email? My app was complete on 7/12 and i got the screening process email on 7/18...still waiting on that small pool email!!

those of you who are now small pooled: when did you get the initial "you have entered the screening process" email and then the small pool email? My app was complete on 7/12 and i got the screening process email on 7/18...still waiting on that small pool email!!

Complete - 6/30
Initial Screen - 7/6
Small pool - 7/13

You are still right on track.

i entered the screening process on the 18th too, nice to know we are in the same boat :)

I finally just submitted! How long should I expect to wait before hearing something back?

Has anyone heard back since 7/18?

Just a future warning from a reapplicant, since this is SDN (which tends to have better/more competitive applicants than the general applicant group as a whole), it's going to seem like almost everyone gets small pooled.

There were many jokes last year to the tune of "small pool my ass, more like large ocean". Although some people (this guy) will get small pooled then rejected, trying to figure out interview chances based on who was small pooled in the thread last year will be pointless and inaccurate.

Just a future warning from a reapplicant, since this is SDN (which tends to have better/more competitive applicants than the general applicant group as a whole), it's going to seem like almost everyone gets small pooled.

There were many jokes last year to the tune of "small pool my ass, more like large ocean". Although some people (this guy) will get small pooled then rejected, trying to figure out interview chances based on who was small pooled in the thread last year will be pointless and inaccurate.

Very True, SDN is not a realistic total applicant pool. It's discouraging sometimes!! :laugh:

how long did it take for RFU to update your status to complete once your LOR's were posted to AMCAS?

I'm having so much trouble with this Life in Discovery essay! how long was everyone else's? also, did you talk about the opporutnities at RFUMS and how they'll help you lead a life in discovery? Mine is starting to sound like a "why Rosalind" essay :( instead of the philosophical one I think they want.

I'm having so much trouble with this Life in Discovery essay! how long was everyone else's? also, did you talk about the opporutnities at RFUMS and how they'll help you lead a life in discovery? Mine is starting to sound like a "why Rosalind" essay :( instead of the philosophical one I think they want.

I think it's purposely ambiguous, so you could take it in many different directions. If I were an adcom member, I'd tire of reading the same answers all day so maybe shoot for something they might not be expecting but still answers the question?

thanks Donnie, it's just that I feel like I've spent way too long on this secondary and I look at what I have and I don't like it. The "interprofessional" essay is also bugging me. I wrote something honest aobut my greatest challenge but am now second-guessing myself b/c it kind of makes me sound liek a whiny person. In truth, i'm not, but they dont' know that cuz they've never met me. i think i might just try to do the "quicker" essay which is "oh i take on too much responbility" but i feel liek EVERYONE writes that essay. it just makes me feel rushed that so many people seem to have turned theirs in already and i'm at the end of july and haven't turned in half my secondaries yet.

btw, what is your icon? your favorite band?

Small pooled this morning- complete 7/14

Small pooled this morning- complete 7/14

Me too! Complete 7/6, Screening started 7/13, small pooled 7/25.
Really late small pool compared to other SDNers here, but nonetheless happy :D
Good luck to others!:luck:

is there a word/character limit to the last q on "how'd you hear of rosalind" btw?

true, not sure what to really put there. i'm having a rough time with this secondary, obviously.

I assume I am now small pooled considering I just got an email saying

"Your file is complete and has passed a primary screening. This means you are in the pool of applicants who may be invited to interview with CMS. However, this does not guarantee an invitation and you may be invited to interview or declined an interview at anytime during the admissions process."

Hope that means this is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.