About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.
  2. Free Financial Webinar with White Coat Investor! Monday evening at 7:00 PM EDT, hear about the Top 5 Financial Considerations for Starting Residents from White Coat Investor's Dr. James Dahle. Register here. Hope to see you there!

2011-2012 Rosalind Franklin Application Thread

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions (<2014)' started by Sammich117, May 22, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterPesto

PeterPesto

SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Yes, it is a good thing. You need to be pooled prior to receiving an interview. Just recognize that the pool is probably really big.
  2. haloschief

haloschief

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Anyone know what the word/character limit is for the two essay questions?

Thanks!
  3. rentedmule

rentedmule

Pre-Medical
    IMO, this was/is not directly a "why Rosalind" essay, but you will want to indirectly address/show how your philosophy of "A Life in Discovery" meshes with the school's. When I addressed the essay I answered the question in a broader sense first, then I related it back to medicine/being a physician. I did not mention the school's name anywhere in the essay.
    You'll want to pick a weakness that's not too detrimental to the interprofessional environment which you can potentially spin off in a positive light while emphasizing how you will overcome it.

Btw, not being done with the secondary in July is NOT late. I sent in my secondary in October or November and eventually got accepted. Make sure you do your best on the essays in a timely fashion, but don't send something that is sub-par just to meet some imaginary deadline set by SDN pre-meds.
    Standard stuff.
  4. edge of desire

edge of desire

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    thanks rentedmule! why didn't you choose Rosalind in the end?
  5. thestrokes14

thestrokes14

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think it was mentioned that there were no word/character limits for the essays. How long, approximately, are people doing their essays? Thanks guys and good luck.
  6. n3xa

n3xa "the anchor"

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I did this and I made sure to include examples in my academic/personal life to illustrate how I can possibly mesh with their philosophy.
  7. mrosekelly

mrosekelly

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Did anyone receive a notice when their LOR arrived? My secondary was submitted awhile ago but I was waiting on my LOR-committee letter from my school until last thursday. Just wondering if I should expect to hear something before the legendary small pool letter?
  8. startoverat40

startoverat40 MS2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    entered screening :xf:
  9. medskl09

medskl09

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    me too! I am very badly hoping for small pool.
  10. kevinc2

kevinc2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just entered the screening as well...really hoping for small pool/interview...how long did it take between the entering screening letter and the small pool notification?
  11. DrMeowMeow

DrMeowMeow

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is there a place to check the status of our app?
  12. jnprunner12

jnprunner12

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    How long did it take you all to receive the secondary after your AMCAS verification? Also, any ideas on what they screen for in OOS applicants?

POSTED IN WRONG FORUM.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  13. rentedmule

rentedmule

Pre-Medical
    Mostly timing and price. I got off the WL for Rosalind within a week of getting off the WL for my state school. It just didn't make sense for me to move to another state on relatively short notice and pay double tuition.
  14. snow88

snow88

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Has anyone who entered primary screening on 7/18 (or after that date) received a small pool email? I am still crossing my fingers...!
  15. hurricane123

hurricane123

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    entered screening on 7/18, still no word
  16. centraldogma

centraldogma The Young Wolf

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    entered screening 7/13, small pooled 7/25
  17. Didierdrogba

Didierdrogba Goldmember

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Entered Screening 7/14, Small Pooled 7/27
  18. blujhae

blujhae

Medical Student
    Entered Screening 7/18, Small Pooled 7/27
  19. hurricane123

hurricane123

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    same! 7/18 entered screening, small pooled just now
  20. txt1234

txt1234

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    hi! just got the small pooled email too!! does anyone know when invites get sent out?
  21. DrMeowMeow

DrMeowMeow

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey, does anyone know the answer to this? Or do we only get email notifications?
  22. ppappui

ppappui

Pre-Medical
    I don't think they have a status page, which really sucks. They only contact you via email, me thinks
  23. snow88

snow88

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No small pool email for me yet, and I also entered screening on the 18th...makes me kind of nervous. I keep checking my email hoping for some good news! Those of you small pooled, what kind of stats did you have?
  24. ppappui

ppappui

Pre-Medical
    Don't worry. It took me 12days (13th to 25th) to get small pooled. I had 3.4/36Q
    Seems like others had to wait approximately 10days or more for small pool (except for the first batches)
  25. canadian18

canadian18

Medical Student

I'm on the same boat. The waiting is killing me..!
    good luck
  26. curae

curae

i also enetered screening on the 18th, but no small pool yet =/
  27. PeterPesto

PeterPesto

SDN 2+ Year Member
    You guys will get small-pooled. I entered screening on 7/6 and was small-pooled a little later than some people who entered screening on the same day. They are priority-based, so those who submitted their applications earlier, got small-pooled earlier.
  28. curae

curae

I hope you're right Peter!
  29. rentedmule

rentedmule

Pre-Medical
    No, status updates go through e-mail.
  30. Slowpoke

Slowpoke I haz cheezburger

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Received secondary (07/02/2011)..... Complete (7/11/2011)....passed primary screening today (7/27/2011)

I am assuming I'm now in the "small" pool people are talking about? Though small is relative it appears.

edit: entered screening 7/13/2011 (for those wondering), took about 2 weeks to hear back.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  31. IDFsoldierboy

IDFsoldierboy

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    lol i don't think thats a med school term but a SDN term....it definitely sounds like a large pool to me
  32. canadian18

canadian18

Medical Student
    complete 7/18. still no word..
  33. ppappui

ppappui

Pre-Medical
    Wonder when their invites come out this year. It seems 9/1 was the first day last year. Does anyone know how big the "small pool" is and what percentage get invited for an interview?
  34. edge of desire

edge of desire

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ok, i'm really confused. i just finally submitted my 2ndary...i think. except i pressed "enter" (I think) and it went to a page that said this:

" Thank you for your submitting your supplemental application and fee to the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University. Your complete supplemental application is necessary for further consideration of your application. The final deadline for the supplemental application letters of evaluation and MCAT scores is December 1, 2011. Deadline extensions will not be permitted. We recommend you complete your application as soon as possible to be given the earliest consideration."

This also came by email with my pdf attached (i hadn't seen the pdf before i pressed enter though) -- there's nothing else for me to do correct? It just makes it sound like there's still stuff for me to do (I already sent them my letters through AMCAS, but I guess I just wait for an email saying I'm complete and entering initial screening?).

I just wanted to confirm I don't have to MAIL in the pdf or anything...and also I wonder if the adcoms get electronic versions of the pdf so that they can see my whole essays (the text box is like...1 paragraph long, lol). Cuz there's an "expand" symbol on the pdf but they don't actually expand.
  35. ppappui

ppappui

Pre-Medical
    You're done. They mean that they need your whole application (secondary, LOR, transcripts, payment) to be done by the deadline. It's just a friendly reminder. the message says that you submitted your secondary, so just make sure the other materials are done by the deadline :thumbup:
  36. Asyouwereatrio

Asyouwereatrio

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    They really should have worded the latter half of that email better. It reallly does sound like the OP hadn't submitted it yet, despite the initial "thanks for submitting it". Just my interpretation.
  37. WhatMD88

WhatMD88

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm stumped with RF's 2ndary prompts. I think I have the answer for the first question, but I'm not sure what to write for the second question.

Do you have guys have an idea what the prompt really means/asking you to write about (especially the key word inter professional) or how to get started with the essay? I feel like I won't be in the ballpark if I started talking about something else--especially the challenges I will face as doctor.
    I guess I can talk about my experience in my lab where I have both MDs and PhDs working together or maybe between MDs and RNs/HCTs.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  38. TuloRocks

TuloRocks

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Interprofessional as in doctors, RNs, NPs, CNAs, techs, med company reps etc.
  39. serosanguinous

serosanguinous

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Per the Wikipedia article on RFU: "The interprofessional education approach used at Rosalind Franklin has been recognized for its importance for over 40 years. Each year students from all school are divided into small groups to learn how to work in a team setting to learn that interprofessionalism mean learning from, with and about one another."

If it were me, I would write about a clinical setting in which you worked with a variety of care providers. For example, in a hospital this can range from transporters, to RNs, to mid-levels, MDs, administrators, etc. From there, the prompt becomes fairly straightforward.
  40. PeterPesto

PeterPesto

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yep. I talked about coordinating between members of the team, understanding one's responsibilities, and recognizing the limitations of one's knowledge.
  41. latrala2300

latrala2300

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    you gave me a heart attack because i only talked about one of those things. then i went back to read the prompt and it said describe your greatest challenge. i guess i took the question a little too literally.
  42. PeterPesto

PeterPesto

SDN 2+ Year Member
    No, it did say greatest challenge so I'm sure you answered it correctly. There is no wrong answer to any of these questions. I touched upon all those issues but I did identify what I thought would be the greatest challenge based on prior experience.
  43. rocko56

rocko56

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Entered primary screening: 7/18
    Passed primary screening: 7/29
  44. blizzah

blizzah

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Same and same
  45. canadian18

canadian18

Medical Student
    Passed primary screening. yay!
  46. rrmix

rrmix

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Anyone know if there is a limit to how many letters we can send, i couldnt find this info out
  47. IDFsoldierboy

IDFsoldierboy

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    glad to see that small pool is growing into a very large ocean hahaha :p
  48. n3xa

n3xa "the anchor"

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Same and same :p
  49. umadeviv5

umadeviv5

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Is anybody having the problem with submitting the secondary. I tried 4 times and I am getting error and not able to submit. Pl let me know.
  50. citrusguy2010

citrusguy2010

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    i had that problem too. i tried calling and no one picked up. i emailed them, no one responded. but then i just didn't attach a picture (i tried a variety of formats and sizes) and then it worked. hope that helps!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.