2011-2012 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Only if this applies to you) If there were periods longer than 3 months, from the time you graduated from high school to now, when you were not employed full time or in college full time, please briefly describe your activities. Attach an additional sheet, if necessary.
9. If you are not attending college/university full time as of September 15, 2011, please describe your activities from July 2011 to July 2012. Attach an additional sheet, if necessary.
10. (Only if this applies to you) If you are not from the New York City metropolitan area (Five Boroughs), describe what personal experiences
prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system. Limit your statement to a maximum of 100 words. Attach an additional sheet, if necessary.
11. (Only if this applies to you) If you have a specific reason (e.g., significant other, job transfer, family obligations) why you wish to attend medical school in New York City, please explain. Limit your statement to a maximum of 100 words. Attach an additional sheet, if necessary.
12. (Optional) If you have a specific reason why you have chosen to apply to SUNY Downstate's College of Medicine, please explain. Limit your statement to a maximum of 100 words. Attach an additional sheet, if necessary.
14. (Optional) List any particular medical specialties for your residency training in which you are interested. Your response does not affect admission and is used for statistical purposes only.
15. How did you hear about our College of Medicine? (A maximum list of 1–4)
16. What are your leisure activities? List a maximum of five.

Good Luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
(Only if this applies to you) If there were periods longer than 3 months, from the time you graduated from high school to now, when you were not employed full time or in college full time, please briefly describe your activities. Attach an additional sheet, if necessary.
9. If you are not attending college/university full time as of September 15, 2011, please describe your activities from July 2011 to July 2012. Attach an additional sheet, if necessary.
10. (Only if this applies to you) If you are not from the New York City metropolitan area (Five Boroughs), describe what personal experiences
prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system. Limit your statement to a maximum of 100 words. Attach an additional sheet, if necessary.
11. (Only if this applies to you) If you have a specific reason (e.g., significant other, job transfer, family obligations) why you wish to attend medical school in New York City, please explain. Limit your statement to a maximum of 100 words. Attach an additional sheet, if necessary.
12. (Optional) If you have a specific reason why you have chosen to apply to SUNY Downstate's College of Medicine, please explain. Limit your statement to a maximum of 100 words. Attach an additional sheet, if necessary.
14. (Optional) List any particular medical specialties for your residency training in which you are interested. Your response does not affect admission and is used for statistical purposes only.
15. How did you hear about our College of Medicine? (A maximum list of 1–4)
16. What are your leisure activities? List a maximum of five.

Good Luck! :luck:

Is this from last year? If so, is it pretty much the same as every year?

No 13? Superstitious?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Top choice ! :)

Last edited:
although a reach..its my top choice as well. I am about 30-40 min from the school. From what I have heard the clinical experience is amazing here and it would also be wayyy cheaper being an NYC resident:thumbup:

although a reach..its my top choice as well. I am about 30-40 min from the school. From what I have heard the clinical experience is amazing here and it would also be wayyy cheaper being an NYC resident:thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: :clap: :biglove:

can we submit this secondary application yet or do we wait for an email from Downstate?

Long Islander applying to Downstate! I guess I live 20 minutes too far east not to fill out Q10?

Members don't see this ad :)
w/r/t:

11. If you have a specific reason (e.g., significant other, job transfer, family obligations) why you wish to attend medical school in New York City, please explain.

I am aware that there is much controversy in re whether or not to disclose familial/spousal status in general, but this question seems to invite this issue in a way which suggests they may be open to the fact that many of us have outside commitments. Any thoughts on this from anyone familiar w/ Downstate's ADCOM?

w/r/t:

11. If you have a specific reason (e.g., significant other, job transfer, family obligations) why you wish to attend medical school in New York City, please explain.

I am aware that there is much controversy in re whether or not to disclose familial/spousal status in general, but this question seems to invite this issue in a way which suggests they may be open to the fact that many of us have outside commitments. Any thoughts on this from anyone familiar w/ Downstate's ADCOM?

I am not familiar with Downstate's ADCOM (familiar in the sense that I have any kind of relationship with them or have inside knowledge, I simply speak from experience).

I think they sort of pay particular attention to your file if you have a spouse or family responsibility in the area (as in NYC) and so they ask to know about these things. In general I think medical schools show this type of appreciation for developing families, students with wives/husbands, and give them particular attention (I wouldn't go as far as to say favorable over another person). To answer your question, yes, I think they are open to the fact that you have outside commitments, definitely. From my own experience, they like to know about these sorts of things, and certainly do ask about it when you have your interview.

I'm applying...Id love to live back in brooklyn or even try my hand at a place in manhattan

can we submit this secondary application yet or do we wait for an email from Downstate?

You can submit your secondary before receipt of an email from Downstate. They have it on the website for a reason, at least that was my thought process when I applied. Good luck! :)

Anyone else having problems getting everything to fit for the courses section when typing it in? Especially when lab and lecture are separate courses

Anyone else having problems getting everything to fit for the courses section when typing it in? Especially when lab and lecture are separate courses

Use a separate sheet of paper in Word--make your own table that looks similar to the table in the app.

I, too, have been looking closely at Downstate. Their med school seems amazing. Its location here in New York City is also amazing. Attending their COM and being able to stay in Queens, where I've spent all my life, would be the best experience ever. I wish everybody luck on their journey!

P.S. the 2011-2012 supplementary application was uploaded today to their site! (when I looked last night, it was still 2010-2011).

w/r/t:

Feel free to write something there. I wrote something very personal for that question and it didn't hurt me.

Can we submit the secondary without having gotten the email?
The admissions lady said we're not gonna get any emails...u just do it by yourself :confused:
How would you pay the $80 fee??

If you are not from the New York City metropolitan area (Five Boroughs), describe what personal experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system. Limit your statement to a maximum of 100 words.

I'm from CT, and I have visited Manhattan at least five times by now, but other than that I'm not sure what to write! I did not live in a city growing up, but I did live and study in New Britain (10th largest city in CT) as an undergrad. Think that might be sufficient?

I'm from CT, and I have visited Manhattan at least five times by now, but other than that I'm not sure what to write! I did not live in a city growing up, but I did live and study in New Britain (10th largest city in CT) as an undergrad. Think that might be sufficient?

My personal opinion is that the 10th largest city in CT isn't going to be very much?

Anyways, just got an e-mail from Downstate, application checklist will be activated in 2 days

also got an email about the checklist...my login info was cut off though..i got the username but there was no password related to it....wierd....but they r nice especially cuz my dad is an alumni...they treat alumni like gods i swear...they told my dad if i have a 3.5 with a 30 mcat its an automatic interview

also got an email about the checklist...my login info was cut off though..i got the username but there was no password related to it....wierd....but they r nice especially cuz my dad is an alumni...they treat alumni like gods i swear...they told my dad if i have a 3.5 with a 30 mcat its an automatic interview

I wonder how long it will be before you get banned because of your username

Hey Guys,

Has anyone mailed in their secondary app? have you gained access to the checklist?
thnx.

Has anyone emailed/called about the cut off username/password yet?

If you view the original e-mail (source) you can see the username and password.

Supplemental pdf after logging in is still the entering 2011 class. But the 2012 is on the general website, so no biggie.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that the 10th largest city in CT isn't going to be very much?

Anyways, just got an e-mail from Downstate, application checklist will be activated in 2 days

Truth. :/ What exactly do they want to know?

thanks for the help got my password. my checklist shows up but says im missing my paper amcas? kinda wierd

im just wondering if this applied to anybody else but my major was human biology and we dont have faculty (we just take classes from a mix of different departments) so I don't have a letter from a faculty member of my major anybody know if they will accept a letter from 1 of my required science courses for the degree?

Truth. :/ What exactly do they want to know?

Dunno. I think from last year's thread, I think someone made a point that it's to get an idea if you'll be able to handle living in a large city like NY. Some people thrive in large cities and hate rural/small towns and vice versa, everyone's different.

If you view the original e-mail (source) you can see the username and password.

Supplemental pdf after logging in is still the entering 2011 class. But the 2012 is on the general website, so no biggie.

What do you mean "original e-mail (source)"?

What do you mean "original e-mail (source)"?

If you can look at the e-mail in plain text, with all the html code. For example, in gmail, you would click the arrow next to reply and select show original

If you can look at the e-mail in plain text, with all the html code. For example, in gmail, you would click the arrow next to reply and select show original

Thank you!

nebratu, thanks for the insight!

In re the secondary-- after filling in the fields, when I save the PDF the check marks in the boxes disappear. The text is fine. Anyone know a way around this? It is written that you will not be able to save, however I'm not sure how to send it in without either printing and scanning or paper copy via mail.

Last edited:
sorry but i saw it was posted before and i still can't figure it out but how are you supposed to get the whole username out of that picture?

EDIT: nevermind i figured it out. sorry all!

Does anyone else's supp app say for the entering class for fall 2011?

just a question. my username has 2011 at the beginning and the last 4 digits indicate that 1200+ ppl have already applied..is that really true?!? how can that many people have sent their app in already?!!? damn it

Just in case anybody is in the same boat as me being in a major with no actual faculty to give letters of rec the admissions just e-mailed me saying 2 letters of rec from science professors will do

Submittd my secondary this morning, and got the complete email 2 hrs later! Wow they're quick! :thumbup:

What's the deal with this paper AMCAS application not being received yet? Everything else is complete...

Submittd my secondary this morning, and got the complete email 2 hrs later! Wow they're quick! :thumbup:

How did you submit it? Electronically? The downloaded .pdf tells me that I'm unable to save info and can only print. I'd REALLY prefer to be able to submit it online (applying from abroad) so any problem-solving tips would be appreciated!

How did you submit it? Electronically? The downloaded .pdf tells me that I'm unable to save info and can only print. I'd REALLY prefer to be able to submit it online (applying from abroad) so any problem-solving tips would be appreciated!

I printed the completed PDFs, then scanned them on to my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.